Quantum Theory of Consciousness and 'external-origin' theories of mind

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
psyreporter

Re: Quantum Theory of Consciousness and 'external-origin' theories of mind

Post by psyreporter »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 21st, 2021, 12:42 pm
psyreporter wrote: September 19th, 2021, 5:41 am Is consciousness possibly anything other than a manifestation of the origin of life?
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 20th, 2021, 11:33 am Probably, yes; many things. I can see consciousness as (maybe) being an attribute of some living things, "of life", but I can see no direct connection at all to the origin of life...? 🤔
psyreporter wrote: September 21st, 2021, 10:34 am Is conscious experience not at most a manifestation of life-as-life in a pure form?
No, not that I can see. What makes you think this is so?
Well, is there an indication for a substance or factor that is other than life-as-life that could be the explanatory origin of consciousness?
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

In the ancient Samaveda (song of knowledge) from 1500 BCE, consciousness is external from the body and illuminates the body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaveda

The following short video provides an introduction.

consciousness.png

Consciousness beautifully explained in 200 sec | Swami Sarvapriyananda at IIT Kanpur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n6NvDpcwLM

[yid]9n6NvDpcwLM[/yid]

"Consciousness is not a part of your body. It is apart from your body. Here it (Samaveda) is different from science because modern science would say that consciousness is a product of your body. This is what physiology would say today.

But here consciousness is apart from your body. It is not a part of your body. It is not a product of your body.

Consciousness pervades and illuminates the body.
"
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

psyreporter wrote: September 21st, 2021, 10:37 am
Count Lucanor wrote: September 20th, 2021, 11:44 pmIt seems that we should think of this 'why' something exists as "what makes something to exist" or "what are the necessary and sufficient conditions for something to exist", being in this case consciousness that something. In the end, when you look for origins you're actually looking for causes: the natural cause or causes of the existence of consciousness. This is also different from trying to find out what consciousness is, what it is made of, so that a thing can be said to have that property. Although there is obviously still a lot of problems to solve concerning these inquiries, we can be pretty sure the answers cannot bypass the fact that consciousness has only been found in living physical bodies.

In any case, I don't think logic can solve by itself problems of existence.
At question would be whether that is so, since isn't it wonderful that the Universe has a structure that performs in such a way that life is possible?

Basic logic has indicated that simple functions that originate from life, are to be considered evidence of life and obligate one to explain the origin of life. Simple functions, for example the structure of the Universe, cannot be accepted as 'just is' without addressing the question why it exists (what the explanatory origin is).

What lays at the basis of the structure of the Universe is the qualia patternness and by logic, a pattern is bound by observation/perception. A pattern is not possible without observation/perception. This would explain that the origin of the Universe (physical reality) is logically the source of life (life's origin), with consciousness being a logical manifestation of the pure form of the origin of the Universe (pure perception) that seeks itself (its origin) because what precedes an individual on a fundamental level lays beyond it from the perspective of an individual.

With regard logic being unable to solve the problems of existence. I am not certain whether that would be so. Do you have an argumentative foundation for the idea why it would be impossible that logic is able to explain existence?
I still have problems with this wording, especially the use of the word "origin". The universe exists as a physical reality, we can agree on that, and life arose within that universe, but to say that the emergence of life is explained by whatever explains the universe coming into existence, is disputable. This is pure old determinism: it implies that once the initial conditions at the moment of the universe coming into existence were given, life had to appear some time later, and those conditions are its "final cause" in Aristotelian terms . But is quite possible, and most likely, that life is a mere contingency, as many other things in the universe. It might have not appeared or be completely a random event, which is not explained by a constant condition of the universe, but by a dynamical process in which different states or outcomes at given moments are completely undetermined. This means that life could also disappear contingently and the universe would go on without it. I would be tempted to say more or less the same about the emergence of consciousness in relation to the appearance of life forms.

I think it is generally agreed that logic has to do with proper reasoning and deals with the truth of propositions according to their meaning and internal relations, while matters of fact are truths about states of the world dependent of observable regularities. Logic all by itself does not discover or produce new facts, although logical processes intervene in our making sense of the evidence.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

psyreporter wrote: September 19th, 2021, 5:41 am Is consciousness possibly anything other than a manifestation of the origin of life?
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 20th, 2021, 11:33 am Probably, yes; many things. I can see consciousness as (maybe) being an attribute of some living things, "of life", but I can see no direct connection at all to the origin of life...? 🤔
psyreporter wrote: September 21st, 2021, 10:34 am Is conscious experience not at most a manifestation of life-as-life in a pure form?
Pattern-chaser wrote: September 21st, 2021, 12:42 pm No, not that I can see. What makes you think this is so?
psyreporter wrote: September 21st, 2021, 1:49 pm Well, is there an indication for a substance or factor that is other than life-as-life that could be the explanatory origin of consciousness?
More than anything else, it is your focus on the origin of consciousness, rather than consciousness itself, that confuses me. Does consciousness have an origin? Does thought, or (emotional) mood, or (bird) migration, or even politics have a (meaningful) origin? I suspect that many such things are simply attributes of something else.

Are you waiting for someone to say that consciousness comes from God, who is the Source (origin) of All Things, or something similar? [The previous sentence is not my view, btw, just an example.] What is your search for origins all about? What do you hope to gain/learn?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

If we do exist inside a conscious system or systems, how would we know? What would be possible signs?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

psyreporter wrote:

As of today in 2021, there is not yet a theory or clue to explain the origin of life and consciousness. Increasingly, prominent neuroscientists are looking to philosophy to continue the quest to provide an explanation, with a mainstream interest in Panpsychism as a result.
I believe in panpsychism. From beings that are not aware, such as AI machines, the Mona Lisa painting, and table lamps, through rivers and diamonds, to oak trees and aware dogs and more; the basic of panpsychism is not essences but relations. Every centre is a centre only by virtue of its environment of other centres of experience.

I can't comment on neutrinos.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Belindi wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 7:39 am psyreporter wrote:

As of today in 2021, there is not yet a theory or clue to explain the origin of life and consciousness. Increasingly, prominent neuroscientists are looking to philosophy to continue the quest to provide an explanation, with a mainstream interest in Panpsychism as a result.
I believe in panpsychism. From beings that are not aware, such as AI machines, the Mona Lisa painting, and table lamps, through rivers and diamonds, to oak trees and aware dogs and more; the basic of panpsychism is not essences but relations. Every centre is a centre only by virtue of its environment of other centres of experience.

Eg space is an environment that does not exist except for relations.

I can't comment on neutrinos.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Sy Borg wrote:If we do exist inside a conscious system or systems, how would we know? What would be possible signs?
You've discussed this idea a lot before, and in one relatively recent post you pointed out, by way of an analogy, that the human body contains a lot of non-living matter, like water, but we still think of the whole human as living. Likewise, we can observe that the universe contains a lot of non-living matter (the vast majority of it) but in the same way we could regard the whole universe as a living thing. Or on a smaller scale we can think of the earth as a living thing.

This is true. We can think of the universe and the earth like that. But if that is the sense in which we regard the universe or the earth as living, then presumably there wouldn't be any signs, because it's not an ontologically proposition. It's a proposed way of thinking about things.

(Apologies if jumping into the conversation at this point meant that I missed some context.)
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

(typo: ontological not ontologically.)
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sy Borg wrote:If we do exist inside a conscious system or systems, how would we know? What would be possible signs?
Steve3007 wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 8:53 am You've discussed this idea a lot before, and in one relatively recent post you pointed out, by way of an analogy, that the human body contains a lot of non-living matter, like water, but we still think of the whole human as living. Likewise, we can observe that the universe contains a lot of non-living matter (the vast majority of it) but in the same way we could regard the whole universe as a living thing. Or on a smaller scale we can think of the earth as a living thing.
My own 'religious' beliefs follow this general theme. It's one of many useful and fairly-obvious perspectives on life, the universe and everything. Nice summary.

As for Sy Borg's questions, it's difficult to see how we might know, or discover, that we are part of a bigger living thing than just ourselves. How could one of my red blood cells know that it was part of a human bio-community (that we commonly call a "body" or "person")? Even if we assign to that red blood cell intelligence such as a whole human might have - purely as a thought experiment! 😉 - it remains difficult for me to see how the cell might recognise its nature as part of "a conscious system or systems". From the perspective of that red blood cell, I'm not sure there are any "possible signs". 😦 I'd love to be corrected over that final point...?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Steve3007 wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 8:53 am [...]the human body contains a lot of non-living matter, like water, but we still think of the whole human as living. Likewise, we can observe that the universe contains a lot of non-living matter (the vast majority of it) but in the same way we could regard the whole universe as a living thing. Or on a smaller scale we can think of the earth as a living thing.

This is true.
But no, that is false. If the whole universe were a living thing, then simply the concept "non-living matter" would be indescribable. Non-life could not be an emergent property of life, even a decaying body would be living matter. Unlike the concept "living matter" that is the result of describing some forms of organization of "non-living matter".
Steve3007 wrote: September 23rd, 2021, 8:53 am We can think of the universe and the earth like that. But if that is the sense in which we regard the universe or the earth as living, then presumably there wouldn't be any signs, because it's not an ontologically proposition. It's a proposed way of thinking about things.
That's true. As a way of thinking, is more like a poetic, metaphorical way of thinking, not very useful for our day to day dealings with the reality of the world.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Pattern-chaser wrote:My own 'religious' beliefs follow this general theme. It's one of many useful and fairly-obvious perspectives on life, the universe and everything. Nice summary.
Yes, although Count Lucanor makes a pretty good point about this doesn't he? He makes a point about the utility of language. He points out that if we were to regard the entire universe as a living thing then there's really no point in having any living/non-living distinction at all, since everything is regarded as living by virtue of being part of a living thing. But this then relates back to your topics on division and connectionism, and the notion that we sub-divide the parts of the universe in different ways depending on our purposes.
As for Sy Borg's questions, it's difficult to see how we might know, or discover, that we are part of a bigger living thing than just ourselves. How could one of my red blood cells know that it was part of a human bio-community (that we commonly call a "body" or "person")? Even if we assign to that red blood cell intelligence such as a whole human might have - purely as a thought experiment! 😉 - it remains difficult for me to see how the cell might recognise its nature as part of "a conscious system or systems". From the perspective of that red blood cell, I'm not sure there are any "possible signs". 😦 I'd love to be corrected over that final point...?
I think that would depend critically on whether that bigger living thing is the entire universe or a part of it. If it's a part of it (e.g. a planet or a human body) then we can observe how it interacts with its environment. We could decide that conscious systems tend to do certain things to and within that environment.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Sy Borg wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 8:18 pm If we do exist inside a conscious system or systems, how would we know? What would be possible signs?
Th system we call relativity can be known. It is known(although not universally acknowledged)because nothing exists except as it relates to what is other.

If I were the very last consciousness in the universe as it becomes non-existent I would still exist because of my life-long habit , since I became separated from my mother, of looking towards my environment of others. Others, panpsychologically, range between the stone on the beach that responds to gravity, inertia, and friction and humans that respond not only to gravity, inertia, and friction but also to qualia of hunger, thirst, sadness, and so forth and most notably to communications of meanings between consciousnesses. I attribute these qualia to other beings that I have learned are like me and can communicate.

(Some people can communnicate with animals and a few may be able to communicate with plants. Human artefacts are odd in that people communicate in a low level sort of way with tools such as levers, wheels, artificial intelligence machines, and works of art.The latter are especially queer as they almost let strangers feel the artists' qualia.)

On the occasion of the universe's ceasing to exist one quale would be feeling of intense loneliness and I'd hope there would be some alien, somehow and somewhere.Death is marked by relations with others that are like relationships experienced by stones or bits of dirt ---gravity, inertia, and friction and no more.
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 10:15 am More than anything else, it is your focus on the origin of consciousness, rather than consciousness itself, that confuses me. Does consciousness have an origin? Does thought, or (emotional) mood, or (bird) migration, or even politics have a (meaningful) origin? I suspect that many such things are simply attributes of something else.

Are you waiting for someone to say that consciousness comes from God, who is the Source (origin) of All Things, or something similar? [The previous sentence is not my view, btw, just an example.] What is your search for origins all about? What do you hope to gain/learn?
The logic is very simple.

1) the origin of a pattern (as qualia patternness) cannot be a pattern
2) the origin of a pattern is necessarily meaningful and thus is to be considered 'pure meaning' because a deviation from that concept would result in a pattern
3) a pattern is signified by perception
4) perception must precede a pattern on a fundamental level because as signifier it represents 'pure meaning' that cannot be a pattern

As can be seen, the qualia meaningful patternness that provides the foundation for physical reality, logically manifests itself as consciousness with consciousness being, in theory, a direct manifestation of pure perception (the signifier of the qualia patternness) that finds its origin in pure meaning.

What the Universe has done, is unlock its perception potential beyond the scope of a meaningful pattern, with consciousness/life seeking its origin (the origin of existence, which empirically is evident from the strive to survive). The origin of existence is 'truth' of which it can be said that there is no opposite. The origin of existence is 'good per se', the foundation for morality. The origin of existence is perceived as pure beauty when it is considered in the form of a successful manifestation.

With regard the use of the term origin.

The concept origin is by definition applicable to explain why something has entered the scope of a perspective (why there has been a start of a pattern). Within the context of conscious experience, which includes science and philosophy, one has merely the start of a pattern to explain reality. The question what the origin is of reality is therefor applicable because the quality patternness demands it.

The term 'origin' differs from causality in that it can find suffice in a theoretical context.

It has been shown by simple logic that the origin of a pattern (the qualia patternness) cannot be a pattern itself. Further, it has been indicated that a pattern is bound by (and to be considered preceded by) perception on a fundamental level which provides evidence that the perception quality in conscious experience is a direct manifestation of the core qualia that necessarily underlays physical reality: pure meaning (origin) -> perception (signifier) BEFORE value/pattern.

Do you agree?
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

Sy Borg wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 8:18 pm If we do exist inside a conscious system or systems, how would we know? What would be possible signs?
The following article may provide valuable information:

(2018) Is the Universe a conscious mind?
It turns out that, for life to be possible, the numbers in basic physics – for example, the strength of gravity, or the mass of the electron – must have values falling in a certain range. And that range is an incredibly narrow slice of all the possible values those numbers can have. It is therefore incredibly unlikely that a universe like ours would have the kind of numbers compatible with the existence of life. But, against all the odds, our Universe does.

Here are a few of examples of this fine-tuning for life:

The strong nuclear force has a value of 0.007. If that value had been 0.006 or 0.008, life would not have been possible.

https://aeon.co/essays/cosmopsychism-ex ... d-for-life

Recent evidence shows that rocks on earth developed the first photosynthesis by which the earth obtained oxygen that enabled life to arise. It started hundreds of millions of years before the first organic life forms existed.

(2021) Non-classical photosynthesis by earth's inorganic semiconducting minerals
Our work in this new research field on the mechanisms of interaction between light, minerals, and life reveals that minerals and organisms are actually inseparable. ... producing hydrogen and oxygen from water
https://phys.org/news/2021-01-non-class ... cting.html

The following article is more recent:

(2021) Can our brains help prove the universe is conscious?
"If it is proven that consciousness plays a causal role in the universe, it would have huge consequences for the scientific view of the world, said Kleiner. "It could lead to a scientific revolution on a par with the one initiated by Galileo Galilei," he said.
https://www.space.com/is-the-universe-conscious

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream