How many illusions of Time are possible?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
3017Metaphysician

Re: How many illusions of Time are possible?

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Terrapin Station wrote: September 24th, 2021, 2:09 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: September 24th, 2021, 1:05 pm 1. 2+2=4 is an objective universal truth that doesn't change with time.
So, on my view, there is no such thing as an objective truth, a universal truth, or a truth that doesn't (or at least can't) change. This includes "2+2=4" and the like.

I thought I had made it clear that that is my view, but for some reason it wasn't clear. Is it clear now that that is my view?

2.Do you think that time itself (the calibration of change) is abstract and/or objective?
Time is objective.

No objective thing is abstract, period.
you seem to be advocating for a world view or belief system that supports philosophical Subjectivity.
So, remember that I use the subjective/objective distinction to refer to mental phenomena versus other phenomena. Some things only exist as mental phenomena. Some things exist otherwise. There's no need to pretend that only minds exist, and there's no need to pretend that minds do not exist, or that no phenomena are only mental phenomena. This is just like saying "Some things are in the refrigerator. Some things are not in the refrigerator." Just because we point out that something is in the refrigerator, this doesn't imply that we're saying that EVERYTHING is in the refrigerator or that only refrigerators exist. The milk is in the refrigerator. The honey is not in the refrigerator. Etc.
Truth then is subjective
I know I've explained this before to you, but I'll explain it again.

Truth is subjective because:

(a) Truth is a property of propositions (this is a standard view in analytic philosophy)
(b) Propositions are the meanings of statements (again, this is a standard view in analytic philosophy)
(c) Meaning is a mental phenomenon (this isn't a standard view in analytic philosophy, but it's my view about the ontology of meaning)
(d) Thus a property of meaning is a mental property, and via the definition of "subjective" as a term that picks out mental phenomena, this implies that truth is subjective.
TS!

1. Actually, that's not very clear at all TS! And seems to support 'paradox'. And ironically, is as clear as mud :P And that's because unfortunately it commits the logical fallacy of an appeal to authority (assuming that authority is you, which is not objective), and it also becomes an unresolved paradox. No?

2. You said no objective thing is abstract. Mathematics' are abstract things that are objective. How do you reconcile the two?
a. By saying …"period", you've appealed to authority again, yourself, in saying something is true, but objectively you haven't proven it to be true. How can you be convincing objectively?

3. Logically, the explanations you've provided do not follow because you are saying on the one hand, propositions are objective truths (which is correct), yet you are saying 'all truth is subjective'. Mathematical truths, for example, are objective truths and are also a priori analytical truths because they are universally true no matter what other people think or feel about them. Thoughts and feelings are subjective and they can change. Purely analytical a priori truths don't change. So, what kind of truth allows you to conclude otherwise?

And so, you may not be articulating your point clearly, I'm not sure, because you seem to be confusing your own sense of what is truth really is... . Maybe start with a simple a priori analytical truth that you seem to be more knowledgeable with. We'll use the infamous example of pure reason, in this case a tautology, which is a true proposition (as you say) by definition:

3017 Metaphysician: What Steve is about to say is false.
Terrapin Station: Metaphysician 3017 has just spoken truly.

Which statement is true ?
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

3017Metaphysician wrote:With respect to tautologies,(like time), aren't they paradoxical too?
As I've said a tautology is a statement that is true by definition. I disagree that time is a statement that is true by definition.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

3017Metaphysician, one thing I've found to be a good idea, at least for me, when I'm about to tell somebody that they've said something, is to check back where I think they've said it, to see if they really have. Particularly if I'm claiming they've said it in something I've quoted. Otherwise we'd just keep telling each other that we've said things that we haven't said or asking each other to explain things that have already been explained. For example, when you said this to TS:
3017Metaphysician wrote:...you are saying on the one hand, propositions are objective truths...
I'd check back through the post that you're commenting on, and have quoted, to make sure you can find the part which says "propositions are objective truths". I've done that and, at first glance at least, I can't find it. I can find a part which says "propositions are the meanings of statements" but I can't find any part which says "propositions are objective truths". I can find a part which says "truth is a property of propositions". I can also find a part which says "truth is subjective".

Can you see those parts?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

3017Metaphysician wrote:Steve!
I asked the following, but i'm not exactly following that (not sure you addressed the questions). Let me re-state the questions:

What are your examples of calculus viz time?

And can you explain why the perception of time changes?

Then we you get a change, talk about how thick the present is, and be sure to provide objective answers... .
Yes, you asked me those three things. The first appeared to be asking me for an example of calculus being used to describe something changing. I gave a simple example and asked how familiar you are with differential calculus. The second appeared to be asking for my thoughts on why our personal perception of the passage of time seems to vary compared to what a clock says. I gave my guess and asked for yours. The third was about "how thick the present is". I queried what you meant by that.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

3017Metaphysician wrote:1. How does the calculus example then give us the answer of how big of a slice of time is calculated now?
It doesn't. That's not what you asked me for. See earlier posts for the size of the slice that differential calculus divides time into.
a. You are using mathematics for your answer, is that an objective answer?
See earlier posts for my views on mathematical statements and my usage of the word "objective".
2. What would emotional stress have to with the objective (mathematical/calculus) nature of time?
Why do you ask?
I have asked about the apperception of time, why would emotions be relevant?
I explained that in the answer in which I gave my guess as to some reasons why our personal perception of the passage of time seems to vary, and asked for your guess.
a. Do you think that time is abstract and objective?
See earlier posts in which I told you my view of what time is.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

3017Metaphysician wrote: September 24th, 2021, 2:51 pm . . .
So let's try to break this down into something simpler so we can understand the different views.

Take person A, who says, "Mathematics is an inherent feature of the world. Mathematical objects, mathematical statements and so on would all exist whether any people existed or not."

And then there's person B, who says, "Mathematics is merely a way that people think about the world. Mathematical objects and mathematical statements do not exist as mathematical objects and statements in the world itself, independently of our thinking. If there were no people, there would be no mathematics, because there would be no one to think about anything that way."

Can you understand that someone might hold either one of those views?
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Steve3007
I have been reading this thread and seems to be going round in circles with many posts of you and TS being asked for your views on what time is. I have read the link in the article which 3017Metaphysician linked as a response to me and it is asking whether time is real?

As far as I can see, as human beings we can conceive of time insofar as it as an aspect of experience, rather like a dimension, or a container because we are within it and it has its subjective and objective aspects. It is beyond our subjective experience, but experienced through the lens of subjective perception. It is 'real 'in the sense of it something which we experience, and models and descriptions can be made of it as approximations and attempts to understand it , just like the spatial dimensions of existence.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

JackDaydream wrote:@Steve3007
I have been reading this thread and seems to be going round in circles with many posts of you and TS being asked for your views on what time is. I have read the link in the article which 3017Metaphysician linked as a response to me and it is asking whether time is real?
Yes. I gave my view as to what time is and whether it is real here. (Post #2.)
As far as I can see, as human beings we can conceive of time insofar as it as an aspect of experience, rather like a dimension, or a container because we are within it and it has its subjective and objective aspects. It is beyond our subjective experience, but experienced through the lens of subjective perception. It is 'real 'in the sense of it something which we experience, and models and descriptions can be made of it as approximations and attempts to understand it , just like the spatial dimensions of existence.
In my view dimensions are mathematical concepts that we use to create models. We create the dimension of time as an abstraction of individual instances of change, as we create the concept of number as an abstraction of individual instances of discrete objects.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Without thinking of it scientifically or going further in that direction, time functions as the stage upon which things happen. Without anything happening, time does not exist since there is nothing there for it to process or digest. It seems simplistic in those terms but as a function time is a kind of stomach or incubator of all beginnings and endings; since it's not likely or remotely conceivable for there to be a final absolute liquidation of everything preexisting, as if nothing ever existed, there will always be another tomorrow where time is concerned. Entropy itself is likely the root process which causes time to subsist...probably forever commencing again with some other infinitesimal emerging into another cosmic stage causing time to be the indispensable illusion of all existence.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Steve3007 wrote: September 25th, 2021, 8:31 am
JackDaydream wrote:@Steve3007
Yes. I gave my view as to what time is and whether it is real here. (Post #2.)
In my view dimensions are mathematical concepts that we use to create models. We create the dimension of time as an abstraction of individual instances of change, as we create the concept of number as an abstraction of individual instances of discrete objects.
Well put. Put another way, just as space measures the distance between objects, time measures the distance between events, intra and inter. Both time and space operate as distance paradigms.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Tegularius wrote: September 26th, 2021, 7:08 pm Just as space measures the distance between objects, time measures the distance between events, intra and inter. Both time and space operate as distance paradigms.
Expressively and evocatively put. 👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 27th, 2021, 10:57 am
Tegularius wrote: September 26th, 2021, 7:08 pm Just as space measures the distance between objects, time measures the distance between events, intra and inter. Both time and space operate as distance paradigms.
Expressively and evocatively put. 👍
I agree Pattern-chaser, they are both measurements. But they are psychologically different because you can go backwards in space but you can't go backwards in time.
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Terrapin Station wrote: September 25th, 2021, 7:00 am
3017Metaphysician wrote: September 24th, 2021, 2:51 pm . . .
So let's try to break this down into something simpler so we can understand the different views.

Take person A, who says, "Mathematics is an inherent feature of the world. Mathematical objects, mathematical statements and so on would all exist whether any people existed or not."

And then there's person B, who says, "Mathematics is merely a way that people think about the world. Mathematical objects and mathematical statements do not exist as mathematical objects and statements in the world itself, independently of our thinking. If there were no people, there would be no mathematics, because there would be no one to think about anything that way."

Can you understand that someone might hold either one of those views?
TS!

Sure. (I noticed much like Steve you didn't answer the previous questions(s). No matter. I'll answer yours and provide for the necessary redundancy.

Person A has a strong case that mathematics has an independent existence ('transcendental' either way for person A or B) particular since mathematics explains/describes initial conditions (prior to BB).

Person B has a weaker case for the above reason, but still has the burden to explain/describe the transcendental/metaphysical quality of abstract mathematical structures in the mind from conscious existence.

With respect to some mathematical paradox (tautologies), let me restate the problems so you can answer, then we can move on to other Time paradoxes:

3017 Metaphysician: What Terrapion Station is about to say is false.
Terrapin Station: Metaphysician 3017 has just spoken truly.

Which statement is true ?

I did not see that you answered these:

1. You said no objective thing is abstract. Mathematics' are abstract things that are objective. How do you reconcile the two?
a. By saying …"period", you've appealed to authority again, yourself, in saying something is true, but objectively you haven't proven it to be true. How can you be convincing objectively?

2. Logically, the explanations you've provided do not follow because you are saying on the one hand, propositions are objective truths (which is correct-if coherent, sound and logically follows, etc.), yet you are saying 'all truth is subjective'. Mathematical truths, for example, are objective truths and are also a priori analytical truths because they are universally true no matter what other people think or feel about them. Thoughts and feelings are subjective and they can change. Purely analytical a priori truths don't change. So, what kind of truth allows you to conclude otherwise?

Thanks TS!
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

3017Metaphysician wrote:I noticed much like Steve you didn't answer the previous questions(s)
I have to say, that's a bit fruity. :D

My part in the topic has mostly consisted of you asking me questions and me answering each of them. Sometimes having to answer them repeatedly. In quite a few of those answers I've asked questions myself to try to get a clearer idea what you're talking about. You never answers those question. You just carry on asking new questions and, as far as I can see, ignore most of my answers. That's the way it looks, because you sometimes ask questions that have been explicitly answered already or tell me that I'm saying things that are the opposite of what I've explicitly said. Why you would do all that, I don't know. I expect you wonder why I continue answering!
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 27th, 2021, 10:57 am Expressively and evocatively put. 👍
Belindi wrote: September 27th, 2021, 11:07 am I agree Pattern-chaser, they are both measurements. But they are psychologically different because you can go backwards in space but you can't go backwards in time.
That seems unfair. We assign to space, as we understand it, three dimensions through which we are free to move in any direction. We assign to time, as we understand it, less than one dimension. By this I mean we assign one dimension, through which we are free to move in one direction (and at one velocity) only.

Psychologically, we 'live' our lives more in our minds, and within the cocoon of human culture, than we do in the physical world. In our mental 'world' we can move back in time through memory, and also move in space. Theoretically, we can explore Alpha Centauri in space; in practice, we can only do this in our minds.

I definitely do NOT disagree that our psychological view of space and time is different. But this merely reflects the difference between these two concepts. If we separate and compare them, we end up confused. The two are inextricably connected, as Einstein illustrated. This might be better expressed, therefore, as "spacetime", as opposed to "space" ... and "time". If we do that, we end up looking at both at the same time, and avoid the misleading confusion caused by considering them in isolation.

So what is our psychological view on 'spacetime'? 🤔🤔🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream