How many illusions of Time are possible?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
3017Metaphysician

Re: How many illusions of Time are possible?

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Atla wrote: September 29th, 2021, 12:40 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: September 29th, 2021, 11:57 am Thank you Alta for a wonderfully lucid contribution. A whole lot to discuss there, and I look forward to a spirited dialogue.

I'm going to start from the top and take one concept at a time (no pun intended) in which to parse. I will also be thinking aloud. You stated that time relates to many things. I agree! One thing it relates to is paradox of course. For instance, we certainly know from philosophy that the so-called logic associated with Platonism which, like it or not, is still alive and well. Why? Because the laws of the universe (time/relativity) and other pragmatic uses of math (calculating a moving vehicle's time/speed, engineering a structural object, so on and so forth), are laws of unchanging truths. They are metaphysical laws that can create and describe objects and their movements, which have no Darwinian survival advantages. And those unchanging truths are based upon a priori logic, which, also result in paradox (tautologies/statements of self-reference/'Gödel incompleteness', etc.) Perhaps you can touch on some Kantian CPR/transendental kinds of things there!
I said time refers to many things, time is a word for different things.

You don't know that the laws of our universe are unchanging. Some claim that they may in fact, be changing. But if they would change too much (too much here means still extremely, sometimes unfathomably little), we would immediately die. So according to the Anthropic principle, we necessarily have to observe a universe with no, or very little change in laws.

Again, with different laws we also may have different mathematics.

So unchanging truths are just an assumption. A priori logic is just an assumption. But even if the laws of our universe are in fact unchanging, and our mathemathics will never change either, that still wouldn't mean that these are metaphysical laws that have an actual existence of their own. Laws of the universe are just descriptions of how the universe behaves. And abstractions like mathemathics are probably just a way of thinking, so yeah, Platonism is as dead as it gets, it has driven humanity insane for long enough.

I generally don't see Platonism as anything more than a tool to exploit/hurt other people. We reify the abstractions we want to reify, and then use these now "real" objects, to tell others what to do, how to behave.
Atla!

Sorry, please add this to the query:

6. You mentioned a priori logic as well as unchanging truths are an assumption. What kind of assumption do you mean? Are you thinking synthetic a priori judgements? I'm trying to parse that notion of an 'assumption'.

Thanks Atla!
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Belindi wrote: September 29th, 2021, 5:29 am
Perceived rate of change bears out the idealist's stance that time , in the above case, duration,is mind dependent.

I gather that traditional Indian philosophy is much like western idealism.
What idealism has to do with either case, I have no idea; they are completely two separate realms of inquiry. I can't comment on something I don't understand. Maybe others do, I don't.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Tegularius
I will say that the entry which I read by you this morning was extremely inspiring. You wrote of time and hallucinatory states of consciousness as depicted in the Bardo Thodol., and how the moment after death may be the one of most enlightenment. My mother died yesterday and I thought myself ridiculous for logging into the site, but your entry gave me something so positive to reflect upon.It was so strange that it appeared amidst this thread discussion.
3017Metaphysician

JackDaydream wrote: September 29th, 2021, 4:46 pm @Tegularius
I will say that the entry which I read by you this morning was extremely inspiring. You wrote of time and hallucinatory states of consciousness as depicted in the Bardo Thodol., and how the moment after death may be the one of most enlightenment. My mother died yesterday and I thought myself ridiculous for logging into the site, but your entry gave me something so positive to reflect upon.It was so strange that it appeared amidst this thread discussion.
...OMG Jack. Sorry to hear about your mom. I suppose another reason to be glass half-full instead of empty...at least I would suspect she'd want that for you. Existentially, indeed a time for all seasons.
:idea:
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

3017Metaphysician wrote: September 29th, 2021, 1:48 pm [To Atla:] As a segue to the foregoing, you also 'suggested' (my interpretation) that metaphysics is something beyond sense experience and unknowable.
Metaphysics, and metaphysical problems are often (always???) beyond verifiability and falsifiability. This causes problems for philosophers who can only work with facts and evidence, lots and lots of repeatable and testable evidence. Sadly, not all issues or problems can be described thus. That's metaphysics for you. 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
3017Metaphysician

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 30th, 2021, 10:50 am
3017Metaphysician wrote: September 29th, 2021, 1:48 pm [To Atla:] As a segue to the foregoing, you also 'suggested' (my interpretation) that metaphysics is something beyond sense experience and unknowable.
Metaphysics, and metaphysical problems are often (always???) beyond verifiability and falsifiability. This causes problems for philosophers who can only work with facts and evidence, lots and lots of repeatable and testable evidence. Sadly, not all issues or problems can be described thus. That's metaphysics for you. 😉
PC!

For the most part, I would agree that that's a false paradigm. A good refresher of course would be Kantian metaphysics things-in-themselves. For example ,there are all kinds of meta-physical phenomena that exist in the world including our own conscious existence. Within the context of my initial discussion with Atla, I think he had taken a metaphysical position on whether abstract mathematics (metaphysical laws of the universe) had an independent existence, hence my question:

" As a segue to the foregoing, you also 'suggested' (my interpretation) that metaphysics is something beyond sense experience and unknowable. When we talk about the laws of the universe (metaphysically abstract structures-mathematics), and we talk about the laws explaining the initial conditions, do they not in-themselves imply a metaphysically transcendent existence? If not, why not?"

PC, you are certainly welcome to chime-in on that particular subject matter if you wish to. At the risk of redundancy, here's the 101 (or anyone could certainly Wiki-it if you like/Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy) from Physicist Paul Davies :

….metaphysics means the study of topics about physics, as apposed to the scientific subject itself. Traditional metaphysical problems have included the origin, nature , and purpose of the universe, how the world of appearances presented to our senses relates to its underlying " reality" and order, the relationship between mind and matter, and the existence of the will. Clearly science is deeply involved in such issues, but empirical science alone may not be able to answer them, or any meaning-of-life questions.

Too, you're also welcome to review the wonderfully lucid Closer to Truth video where there were several philosophy & science interviews in my viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17546 thread. Obviously this is my passion (maybe in-part has to do with my musician background).

Anyway, as philosopher's although Metaphysic's has had much antiquity to draw from, I usually always recommend Kant's. Analogous to this particular part (initial discussion) of 'the reality of Time' discussion, I think Atla had also initially made a type of synthetic a priori judgement that you may find intriguing (if/when he responds, that is...). The question relates to what was happening before the BB. I'm hoping it will uncover some intriguing 'world views'.

Maybe the irony for some might be, Time itself, appears to the senses as a metaphysical phenomena of sorts (even in a cognitive science- subconscious- kind of way). (Feel free to unpack your thoughts on the 'apperception' of Time, if you will!) Metaphysics covers a lot of ground... .

Thanks PC!
― Albert Einstein
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@3017Metaphysican

Thanks for your reply and I am trying to cope the best I can. I am at least glad that I did see my mum on the day before she died and that she enjoyed life so much. I will probably be on the site less in the next couple of weeks because I have so many duties. However, I can't give up reading and writing completely.

As far as this thread discussion goes I have found a quote which I think is relevant in a book called, 'Oneself the Mystic and Philosopher' by Tony Hosking(2013), referring to Wittgenstein's idea of logic as a mirror,
'Wittgenstein used the metaphor of 'the all-embracing world-mirrorring logic...the great mirror. ..Logic is likened to a looking-glass of transcendental a priori form, which must make possible and contain completely the reflections (that is, the stated claims of all possible thoughts) made true or false according to the facts of empirical content (existence or non existence.'
This seems to be relevant for thinking about the various illusory images and philosophical ideas which human beings have about time and the way in which they can be verified or refuted according to explorations within the physical sciences, especially physics.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

JackDaydream

My condolences at your loss. It's always hard losing a parent at any age. I'm gratified to know that my mentioning the Bardo Thodol at this time caused a degree of consolation for what remains inevitable but nonetheless painful for most people. We learn to cope; we have no choice. For those who are no-longer, time ceases to be the enemy. As for the Bardo, though less a relgious truth, it remains a very potent psychological one for the living and their need for insight and consolation.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Tegularius wrote: September 29th, 2021, 4:13 pm
Belindi wrote: September 29th, 2021, 5:29 am
Perceived rate of change bears out the idealist's stance that time , in the above case, duration,is mind dependent.

I gather that traditional Indian philosophy is much like western idealism.
What idealism has to do with either case, I have no idea; they are completely two separate realms of inquiry. I can't comment on something I don't understand. Maybe others do, I don't.
I'm not a scholar, but it seems to me that the simple concept 'Atman is Brahman' is contained also within metaphysical idealism. When you add the Buddhists' idea of all creatures being souls reincarnated until pure consciousness, you also have a parallel to panpsychism.

Metaphysical idealists hold that subjective experiences are prior to physical matter. Maya is the illusion that what presents to our senses is real.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

3017Metaphysician wrote: September 30th, 2021, 11:56 am ...Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, from physicist Paul Davies :

….metaphysics means the study of topics about physics, as opposed to the scientific subject itself. Traditional metaphysical problems have included the origin, nature, and purpose of the universe, how the world of appearances presented to our senses relates to its underlying "reality" and order, the relationship between mind and matter, and the existence of the will.
I deleted the final sentence of your 'definition', as it contained an (incorrect) assertion concerning how "empirical science" might or could address metaphysical issues: "Clearly science is deeply involved in such issues, but empirical science alone may not be able to answer them, or any meaning-of-life questions". I believe that science is not, and cannot be, "involved in such issues". It is not that "empirical science alone may not be able to answer them", it is that science has no contribution to make in the solution of such problems. IMO, of course. 🙂

OK. That's your preferred definition, here is mine.
In his book 'Metaphysics', Michael Rea wrote:Metaphysics is the attempt to answer questions that can only be fully answered by making non-empirical claims about what there is or could be, or about the nature or defining essence of some concrete thing, or about the proper analysis of concepts other than those used specifically for the evaluation of agents and their institutions.
But I won't fight you over which one we accept! 😉 I think the majority of questions and issues that are most often labelled metaphysical are defined in the first part of Rea's definition: "Metaphysics is the attempt to answer questions that can only be fully answered by making non-empirical claims about what there is or could be". Science cannot address these issues because they are "non-empirical", leaving science with nothing to grasp, nothing to analyse, and therefore nothing from which to draw conclusions.

3017Metaphysician wrote: September 30th, 2021, 11:56 am The question relates to what was happening before the BB.
I think we assume that time began with the BB? Therefore, there was nothing before the BB. No time, no anything. I think the embeddedness of time in our words makes it difficult even to phrase this question. However, my best guess is that the question itself is a nonsense.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
3017Metaphysician

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 1st, 2021, 10:28 am
3017Metaphysician wrote: September 30th, 2021, 11:56 am ...Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, from physicist Paul Davies :

….metaphysics means the study of topics about physics, as opposed to the scientific subject itself. Traditional metaphysical problems have included the origin, nature, and purpose of the universe, how the world of appearances presented to our senses relates to its underlying "reality" and order, the relationship between mind and matter, and the existence of the will.
I deleted the final sentence of your 'definition', as it contained an (incorrect) assertion concerning how "empirical science" might or could address metaphysical issues: "Clearly science is deeply involved in such issues, but empirical science alone may not be able to answer them, or any meaning-of-life questions". I believe that science is not, and cannot be, "involved in such issues". It is not that "empirical science alone may not be able to answer them", it is that science has no contribution to make in the solution of such problems. IMO, of course. 🙂

OK. That's your preferred definition, here is mine.
In his book 'Metaphysics', Michael Rea wrote:Metaphysics is the attempt to answer questions that can only be fully answered by making non-empirical claims about what there is or could be, or about the nature or defining essence of some concrete thing, or about the proper analysis of concepts other than those used specifically for the evaluation of agents and their institutions.
But I won't fight you over which one we accept! 😉 I think the majority of questions and issues that are most often labelled metaphysical are defined in the first part of Rea's definition: "Metaphysics is the attempt to answer questions that can only be fully answered by making non-empirical claims about what there is or could be". Science cannot address these issues because they are "non-empirical", leaving science with nothing to grasp, nothing to analyse, and therefore nothing from which to draw conclusions.

3017Metaphysician wrote: September 30th, 2021, 11:56 am The question relates to what was happening before the BB.
I think we assume that time began with the BB? Therefore, there was nothing before the BB. No time, no anything. I think the embeddedness of time in our words makes it difficult even to phrase this question. However, my best guess is that the question itself is a nonsense.
PC!

Without disputing definition standards, I'll take exception to your 'supposition of nonsense' as it were. Is the question of why mathematics so effectively describes the initial cosmological conditions (priori to BB) meaningless?

Of course PC, I don't think you would agree because you've already taken an implied position that there was something before the BB. What is that something, dark energy? What is dark energy? Accordingly, I think you/we would have the intellectual burden of broaching the philosophical conundrum of why there is something and not nothing. No?
― Albert Einstein
PoeticUniverse

Post by PoeticUniverse »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 1st, 2021, 11:32 am Of course PC, I don't think you would agree because you've already taken an implied position that there was something before the BB. What is that something, dark energy? What is dark energy? Accordingly, I think you/we would have the intellectual burden of broaching the philosophical conundrum of why there is something and not nothing. No?
Dark energy is a good candidate for the inflation at the Big Bang that had to make the universe rather smooth and flat as going from the micro realm to the macro realm.

Of course, an Eternal Existence has to be, given that Existence has no alternative (no 'Nothing') and that there is something here. It is always and ever, as Permanent. What becomes of its rearrangements are temporaries, such as us and the universe.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 1st, 2021, 11:32 am Of course PC, I don't think you would agree because you've already taken an implied position that there was something before the BB.

??? How do you get that, from this? 👇
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 1st, 2021, 10:28 am I think we assume that time began with the BB? Therefore, there was nothing before the BB. No time, no anything.
How is it that I can write X, and someone here will read it as Not(X)?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Pattern-chaser wrote:How is it that I can write X, and someone here will read it as Not(X)?
I think that's one of the great unsolved mysteries of this forum! :D
3017Metaphysician

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 6:27 am
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 1st, 2021, 11:32 am Of course PC, I don't think you would agree because you've already taken an implied position that there was something before the BB.

??? How do you get that, from this? 👇
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 1st, 2021, 10:28 am I think we assume that time began with the BB? Therefore, there was nothing before the BB. No time, no anything.
How is it that I can write X, and someone here will read it as Not(X)?
Hey PC!

Sorry I missed your reply. The reason there has to be something is because nobody knows what it is like for there to be nothing. And so, if you think there was absolutely nothing before the BB, as a thought experiment, try to describe no-thing? I'll argue it's logically impossible.

Thanks!
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream