Can we agree as to what metaphysics is?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Consul

Re: Can we agree as to what metaphysics is?

Post by Consul »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 18th, 2021, 8:43 am
Consul wrote: October 17th, 2021, 1:50 pm What is that which "science cannot address"?
Many things. One example is whether we are brains-in-vats. There is no evidence associated with this idea, for or against. And that, in itself, is a conclusive reason why science cannot deal with it. No evidence = no analysis = no conclusion. No formal and precise scientific consideration of this issue is possible. We must use the tool kit of 'serious thought' to address this issue, and others like it, and that is what metaphysics does. It handles those issues for which science is unsuited.
So a theory or hypothesis is metaphysical if and only if its truth-value is empirically undecidable?
But then there is metaphysics in physics too (e.g. multiverse-theory).
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 18th, 2021, 10:09 am
Terrapin Station wrote: October 15th, 2021, 3:38 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 15th, 2021, 12:19 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: October 14th, 2021, 6:31 am

I'll do an "It's not explained" discussion on these grounds:
(1) You give detailed criteria you're using for counting as an explanation in general,
(2) You also tell us why your criteria from (1) are going to be the demarcation criteria for explanations, and
(3) We examine whether the criteria given in (1) actually are your demarcation criteria by testing them with a number of mundane things (so, not consciousness) that you believe are explained versus not explained, and we make sure that you can present explanations for what you consider explained that meet your criteria, and we see whether some of the mundane stuff that you don't consider explained can't be explained per your criteria.

If we don't do the above three points systematically, I'll not entertain "it's not explained" discussions. Unfortunately, since I can't get you to even respond to the simplest of questions or requests, there's no way in hell that you'll be doing any of (1), (2) or (3) above.

Before I answer any more questions, is there any possibility that you'll answer even a single question I asked you above? If you won't, why should I answer any question you're asking? Don't conversations require both people answering questions?

Do you want me to start doing this:

2nd request:
"we'd have to clarify what that's supposed to be saying that's different than merely 'How does physicalism explain abstracts?'"

TS!

Happy Friday! I have an idea, where perhaps we can hit the re-set button (if you will accept the challenge). Obviously the discussion is not producing any kind of' 'universal truth', as it were. And so, how about we ferret-out your Physicalism? Let's have fun and try to deconstruct yours and my arguments (I'll start with parsing some concepts including words you used that I think are metaphysical, and put them in a basic syllogism which may or may not be sound). Then, we can see whether the conclusion follows. I'll offer a few fig-leaf examples. And, I'll keep your definition on the subject line so we don't get distracted (I'll change it if you are not comfortable with the definition) thus:

RE: In philosophy, physicalism is the metaphysical thesis that "everything is physical", that there is "nothing over and above" the physical,[1] or that everything supervenes on the physical.[2] Physicalism is a form of ontological monism—a "one substance" view of the nature of reality as opposed to a "two-substance" (dualism) or "many-substance" (pluralism) view. Both the definition of "physical" and the meaning of physicalism have been debated.

A few examples of a logical syllogism to parse:

Terrapin Station used the concept of "individuals" in his premises to argue for how all humans perceive things-in-themselves vis a vis physicalism:

"Individuals" relate to human being
Consciousness relates to "individuals"
Therefore, consciousness relates to human being

And so:

Human beings listen to music
TS is a human being
Therefore, TS has listened to music
Music is perceived metaphysically
Humans perceive music
Therefore, humans perceive the metaphysical
All mathematics is perceived metaphysically
Humans perceive mathematics

Similarly:

All humans have a Will
TS is a human
Therefore, TS has a Will
The Will is metaphysical
Sentience is the Will
Therefore, sentience is metaphysical

This one I need your help with:

TS has the capacity to perceive emotions
Physicalism does not explain how TS perceives things
Therefore, Physicalism is not perceived as emotions

TS, which one's are false? If false, please rearrange the syllogisms to make 'the premise' sound so that the conclusion can follow properly.
If you get stumped, (which I'm hoping you won't) no worries, we can just post the definitions of each concept first (Metaphysics in this case is the first principles of Being/ontology) then rearrange accordingly.
If you want to start over, okay, but you need to start over with something shorter, because the above is a complete mess. There are numerous issues with every sentence. For example, at the start, from where are you getting that I'm forwarding some sort of argument about how people perceive anything? And then you're using the "things-in-themselves" term, which is a mess that you won't address, and on and on and on.

You need to start with something simpler, and you need to actually respond to comments made and questions asked, especially when I ask for a clarification.

By the way, the manner in which you're using "metaphysical" as an adjective is just nonsensical.

Also, re "physicalism does not explain," again, I WILL NOT DO a "this is explained/this is not explained" discussion if you don't address the requirements I gave above for a discussion about that. If we start over or not, you're going to need to meet those requirements if you want to introduce a "this is not explained" argument.

So pick something very simple, just an idea or two, just a sentence or two that you want to start with, and then you're going to need to actually respond to comments and answer questions. What simple thing would you like to start with?
TS!

I'm not sure I'm following that. Are you saying logic (deduction) is complicated?
That your reading comprehension is that bad certainly doesn't help this.

Again, if you want to start over okay. Keep it short. Just a sentence or two to start. Can you do that?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Consul wrote: October 17th, 2021, 1:50 pm What is that which "science cannot address"?
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 18th, 2021, 8:43 am Many things. One example is whether we are brains-in-vats. There is no evidence associated with this idea, for or against. And that, in itself, is a conclusive reason why science cannot deal with it. No evidence = no analysis = no conclusion. No formal and precise scientific consideration of this issue is possible. We must use the tool kit of 'serious thought' to address this issue, and others like it, and that is what metaphysics does. It handles those issues for which science is unsuited.
Consul wrote: October 18th, 2021, 3:04 pm So a theory or hypothesis is metaphysical if and only if its truth-value is empirically undecidable?
Absolutely not. Empirically undecidable issues are examples of subject matter that science cannot deal with, but metaphysics can, as I said in my previous post (quoted above). But "if and only if"? You should know better than to offer such poor logic, to trap a poor mortal like me.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Terrapin Station wrote: October 19th, 2021, 6:07 am
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 18th, 2021, 10:09 am
Terrapin Station wrote: October 15th, 2021, 3:38 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 15th, 2021, 12:19 pm

TS!

Happy Friday! I have an idea, where perhaps we can hit the re-set button (if you will accept the challenge). Obviously the discussion is not producing any kind of' 'universal truth', as it were. And so, how about we ferret-out your Physicalism? Let's have fun and try to deconstruct yours and my arguments (I'll start with parsing some concepts including words you used that I think are metaphysical, and put them in a basic syllogism which may or may not be sound). Then, we can see whether the conclusion follows. I'll offer a few fig-leaf examples. And, I'll keep your definition on the subject line so we don't get distracted (I'll change it if you are not comfortable with the definition) thus:

RE: In philosophy, physicalism is the metaphysical thesis that "everything is physical", that there is "nothing over and above" the physical,[1] or that everything supervenes on the physical.[2] Physicalism is a form of ontological monism—a "one substance" view of the nature of reality as opposed to a "two-substance" (dualism) or "many-substance" (pluralism) view. Both the definition of "physical" and the meaning of physicalism have been debated.

A few examples of a logical syllogism to parse:

Terrapin Station used the concept of "individuals" in his premises to argue for how all humans perceive things-in-themselves vis a vis physicalism:

"Individuals" relate to human being
Consciousness relates to "individuals"
Therefore, consciousness relates to human being

And so:

Human beings listen to music
TS is a human being
Therefore, TS has listened to music
Music is perceived metaphysically
Humans perceive music
All mathematics is perceived metaphysically
Humans perceive mathematics

Similarly:

All humans have a Will
TS is a human
Therefore, TS has a Will
The Will is metaphysical
Sentience is the Will

This one I need your help with:

TS has the capacity to perceive emotions
Physicalism does not explain how TS perceives things
Therefore, Physicalism is not perceived as emotions

TS, which one's are false? If false, please rearrange the syllogisms to make 'the premise' sound so that the conclusion can follow properly.
If you get stumped, (which I'm hoping you won't) no worries, we can just post the definitions of each concept first (Metaphysics in this case is the first principles of Being/ontology) then rearrange accordingly.
If you want to start over, okay, but you need to start over with something shorter, because the above is a complete mess. There are numerous issues with every sentence. For example, at the start, from where are you getting that I'm forwarding some sort of argument about how people perceive anything? And then you're using the "things-in-themselves" term, which is a mess that you won't address, and on and on and on.

You need to start with something simpler, and you need to actually respond to comments made and questions asked, especially when I ask for a clarification.

By the way, the manner in which you're using "metaphysical" as an adjective is just nonsensical.

Also, re "physicalism does not explain," again, I WILL NOT DO a "this is explained/this is not explained" discussion if you don't address the requirements I gave above for a discussion about that. If we start over or not, you're going to need to meet those requirements if you want to introduce a "this is not explained" argument.

So pick something very simple, just an idea or two, just a sentence or two that you want to start with, and then you're going to need to actually respond to comments and answer questions. What simple thing would you like to start with?
TS!

I'm not sure I'm following that. Are you saying logic (deduction) is complicated?
That your reading comprehension is that bad certainly doesn't help this.

Again, if you want to start over okay. Keep it short. Just a sentence or two to start. Can you do that?

All humans have a Will
TS is a human
Therefore, TS has a Will
The Will is metaphysical
Sentience is the Will
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Consul

Post by Consul »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 19th, 2021, 7:13 am
Consul wrote: October 18th, 2021, 3:04 pm So a theory or hypothesis is metaphysical if and only if its truth-value is empirically undecidable?
Absolutely not. Empirically undecidable issues are examples of subject matter that science cannot deal with, but metaphysics can, as I said in my previous post (quoted above). But "if and only if"? You should know better than to offer such poor logic, to trap a poor mortal like me.
If empirical undecidability is not a necessary&sufficient condition of being metaphysical, then what is?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 19th, 2021, 7:13 am Absolutely not. Empirically undecidable issues are examples of subject matter that science cannot deal with, but metaphysics can, as I said in my previous post (quoted above). But "if and only if"? You should know better than to offer such poor logic, to trap a poor mortal like me.
Consul wrote: October 19th, 2021, 11:25 am If empirical undecidability is not a necessary&sufficient condition of being metaphysical, then what is?
I offer no "necessary & sufficient conditions", but only a simple definition of metaphysics that is good enough for most purposes. Once again, I suggest that your need for precision is unhelpful.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Consul

Post by Consul »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 19th, 2021, 12:58 pmI offer no "necessary & sufficient conditions", but only a simple definition of metaphysics that is good enough for most purposes. Once again, I suggest that your need for precision is unhelpful.
Any definition implies necessary&sufficient conditions: If A is defined as B1,…,Bn, then (being) B1,…,Bn is both necessary and sufficient for (being) A. For example, "bachelor" =def "unmarried man"; so being a man and being unmarried are (together) both necessary and sufficient for being a bachelor.
Terrapin Station

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 19th, 2021, 10:46 am All humans have a Will
TS is a human
Therefore, TS has a Will
The Will is metaphysical
Sentience is the Will
Thanks for keeping it short.

So first, I don't actually agree that all humans have will phenomena. Unconscious humans, which might include humans in comas, for example, wouldn't have will phenomena. Will isn't a "part" that humans have installed, by the way, just in case you were meaning "Humans have a will" in that sense. Will is a particular range of mental phenomena; it's something that conscious brains do. I'm not advocating changing how "will" works linguistically, but for philosophical purposes, will should really be thought of as a verb, not a noun. In other words, it's an action, not a "thing that acts." (Even though technically even things that act obtain via actions, but that's a lot more complicated issue.)

But any rate, we could say, "Suppose all humans have will phenomena (that is, suppose that no humans are unconscious, etc.)." And sure, we could say, in an odd grammatical move, that "The will is metaphysical." We can say that because saying that something is "metaphysical" in that context would simply amount to saying that it exists. If there is x, then x exists, and "x is metaphysical."

I'm reluctant to add more--see how many issues there are in such a short comment from you?--but I do not at all agree that sentience is the same as will. "Sentience," in its most broad sense, simply refers to creatures being responsive to sensations, though it's often used to broadly connote consciousness, or a conscious response to sensations. "Will" is far more narrow than that. "Will" most broadly refers to the conscious/intentional "directedness" of one's actions, and it often has a narrower connotation of decisions with respect to that conscious/intentional directedness. So will requires sentience, but sentience is far broader than will, and will isn't a subset of sentience, either, unless we're using "sentience" strictly as a synonym for consciousness overall. (If we're using "sentience" in the more technical sense of "responsiveness to sensations," then will and sentience aren't at all the same thing, though will would typically require sentience or at least the illusion of sentience.)

At any rate, as above, insofar as there is sentience, it exists (otherwise we couldn't accurately say that "there is sentience"), so we could, in that odd grammatical contortion that you're liking, say that "sentience is metaphysical." Again, anything that exists would be metaphysical. Metaphysics is [technically philosophy of] existence or being. So anything that exists, however it exists, whatever its nature, etc., would be metaphysical in that sense.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 19th, 2021, 12:58 pmI offer no "necessary & sufficient conditions", but only a simple definition of metaphysics that is good enough for most purposes. Once again, I suggest that your need for precision is unhelpful.
Consul wrote: October 19th, 2021, 2:04 pm Any definition implies necessary & sufficient conditions: If A is defined as B1,…,Bn, then (being) B1,…,Bn is both necessary and sufficient for (being) A. For example, "bachelor" =def "unmarried man"; so being a man and being unmarried are (together) both necessary and sufficient for being a bachelor.
I offered a simple, general, everyday 'definition' that works for most cases:
Pattern-chaser wrote: October 14th, 2021, 11:09 am Topic title: Can we agree as to what metaphysics is?

How about this? It's how the word is generally used....

"Metaphysics" describes those questions, theories and enquiries that science cannot address, but philosophy can.
If you must have a formal and dissectable scientific definition, you'd do better with something quoted from your formidable library.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
3017Metaphysician

Terrapin Station wrote: October 20th, 2021, 6:39 am
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 19th, 2021, 10:46 am All humans have a Will
TS is a human
Therefore, TS has a Will
The Will is metaphysical
Sentience is the Will
Thanks for keeping it short.

So first, I don't actually agree that all humans have will phenomena. Unconscious humans, which might include humans in comas, for example, wouldn't have will phenomena. Will isn't a "part" that humans have installed, by the way, just in case you were meaning "Humans have a will" in that sense. Will is a particular range of mental phenomena; it's something that conscious brains do. I'm not advocating changing how "will" works linguistically, but for philosophical purposes, will should really be thought of as a verb, not a noun. In other words, it's an action, not a "thing that acts." (Even though technically even things that act obtain via actions, but that's a lot more complicated issue.)

But any rate, we could say, "Suppose all humans have will phenomena (that is, suppose that no humans are unconscious, etc.)." And sure, we could say, in an odd grammatical move, that "The will is metaphysical." We can say that because saying that something is "metaphysical" in that context would simply amount to saying that it exists. If there is x, then x exists, and "x is metaphysical."

I'm reluctant to add more--see how many issues there are in such a short comment from you?--but I do not at all agree that sentience is the same as will. "Sentience," in its most broad sense, simply refers to creatures being responsive to sensations, though it's often used to broadly connote consciousness, or a conscious response to sensations. "Will" is far more narrow than that. "Will" most broadly refers to the conscious/intentional "directedness" of one's actions, and it often has a narrower connotation of decisions with respect to that conscious/intentional directedness. So will requires sentience, but sentience is far broader than will, and will isn't a subset of sentience, either, unless we're using "sentience" strictly as a synonym for consciousness overall. (If we're using "sentience" in the more technical sense of "responsiveness to sensations," then will and sentience aren't at all the same thing, though will would typically require sentience or at least the illusion of sentience.)

At any rate, as above, insofar as there is sentience, it exists (otherwise we couldn't accurately say that "there is sentience"), so we could, in that odd grammatical contortion that you're liking, say that "sentience is metaphysical." Again, anything that exists would be metaphysical. Metaphysics is [technically philosophy of] existence or being. So anything that exists, however it exists, whatever its nature, etc., would be metaphysical in that sense.
Thanks. Okay, am I to interprete that as a kind of acquiescence to existing conscious metaphysical phenomena? The reason I use the word 'aquiescence' is because it doesn't seem to square with your belief system(s). Please correct me if I'm wrong. For instance, you had said previously that everything (all things that exist) are physical and that you are a 'physicalist':

In philosophy, physicalism is the metaphysical thesis that "everything is physical", that there is "nothing over and above" the physical,[1] or that everything supervenes on the physical.[2] Physicalism is a form of ontological monism—a "one substance" view of the nature of reality as opposed to a "two-substance" (dualism) or "many-substance" (pluralism) view. Both the definition of "physical" and the meaning of physicalism have been debated.

Please help unpack that distinction if you will. Now, based on your reply, the next things you will need to parse is your specific distinction that you offered between the Will and human Sentience. Should we pull up the definitions standards first? The reason I ask, if we are to do logic, we must first see if the premises are sound. And so, you will have to support your supposition(s) that the Will and Sentience are purely physical in nature.

In summary two issues you have to resolve (so far) viz your belief in Physicalism:

1. Consciousness: meta-physical phenomenon.
2. The Will and human Sentience (feeling).

Did I interpret your reply correctly?

Let me do some of the groundwork for you. Below, here are some 'definition standards' (which we'll arrange into a logico-deductive proposition) that seem to contradict your reply, as you used the words:

"Intentional":
noun
1an act or instance of determining mentally upon some action or result.

2the end or object intended; purpose.

3intentions, a purpose or attitude toward the effect of one's actions or conduct:
a bungler with good intentions.

b purpose or attitude with respect to marriage:
Our friends are beginning to ask what our intentions are.

4the act or fact of intending.

One Question for Terrapin Station: what is purpose/attitude, physical or metaphysical?

"Directness":

verb (used with object)

1to manage or guide by , advice, instructional helpful information, etc.:
He directed the company through a difficult time.

2to regulate the course of; control:
History is directed by a small number of great men and women.

11to act as a guide.

12to give commands or orders.

One Question for Terrapin Station: Is; advice, instructional helpful information, physical or metaphysical?

I don't want to overwhelm you (for now), but I'll pull-up the definition standards for your "Decisions" along with the basic understanding of human Will and Sentience at a later time.
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Terrapin Station

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 20th, 2021, 11:53 am Thanks. Okay, am I to interprete that as a kind of acquiescence to existing conscious metaphysical phenomena? The reason I use the word 'aquiescence' is because it doesn't seem to square with your belief system(s). Please correct me if I'm wrong. For instance, you had said previously that everything (all things that exist) are physical and that you are a 'physicalist':

In philosophy, physicalism is the metaphysical thesis that "everything is physical", that there is "nothing over and above" the physical,[1] or that everything supervenes on the physical.[2] Physicalism is a form of ontological monism—a "one substance" view of the nature of reality as opposed to a "two-substance" (dualism) or "many-substance" (pluralism) view. Both the definition of "physical" and the meaning of physicalism have been debated.
Yes. Put simply, there are minds/there is mental phenomena. Minds/mental phenomena are brain states. Hence they're physical. They're also "metaphysical" if you like. The metaphysical category they belong to is "physical stuff."
Every single thing that exists is a metaphysical phenomenon, by virtue of existing. Metaphysics is philosophy of existence or philosophy of being.

"Physical" is a category of metaphysics.

Are you saying that sentience and will phenomena are not conscious? If so, no, you didn't "interpret" my reply correctly. In fact, no interpretation is necessary for that. I said that will is a mental (hence a conscious) phenomenon. "Sentience" is also often used to connote consciousness in general.
One Question for Terrapin Station: what is purpose/attitude, physical or metaphysical?
How many friggin times am I going to have to repeat that physical and metaphysical ARE NOT DIFFERENT THINGS.

"Metaphysical" means "pertaining to the philosophy of existence."

If what exists is physical stuff, then philosophy about the existence of physical stuff IS METAPHYSICS. "Physical" is a category in metaphysics.

Purpose/attitude are physical. Physical things exist. Hence we're talking about metaphysics when we talk about physical stuff per se.
"Directness":
The word I used was "directEDness," not "directness."
One Question for Terrapin Station: Is; advice, instructional helpful information, physical or metaphysical?
Everything that exists is physical. Physical things ARE METAPHYSICAL. At least acknowledge that I'm telling you this. You can disagree with it, but then present your disagreement. Don't act like I haven't said it 50 times.
Terrapin Station

In short, "metaphysical" is NOT a synonym for "not physical."

Metaphysics is philosophy of existence or being.

If what exists is physical, then metaphysics is about physical stuff.

If what exists is nonphysical, then metaphysics is about nonphysical stuff.

If what exists is a combination of physical and nonphysical, then metaphysics is about a combination of physical and nonphysical stuff.

Does that make sense to you?
3017Metaphysician

Terrapin Station wrote: October 20th, 2021, 2:20 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 20th, 2021, 11:53 am Thanks. Okay, am I to interprete that as a kind of acquiescence to existing conscious metaphysical phenomena? The reason I use the word 'aquiescence' is because it doesn't seem to square with your belief system(s). Please correct me if I'm wrong. For instance, you had said previously that everything (all things that exist) are physical and that you are a 'physicalist':

Yes. Put simply, there are minds/there is mental phenomena. Minds/mental phenomena are brain states. Hence they're physical. They're also "metaphysical" if you like. The metaphysical category they belong to is "physical stuff."
Every single thing that exists is a metaphysical phenomenon, by virtue of existing. Metaphysics is philosophy of existence or philosophy of being.

"Physical" is a category of metaphysics.

Are you saying that sentience and will phenomena are not conscious? If so, no, you didn't "interpret" my reply correctly. In fact, no interpretation is necessary for that. I said that will is a mental (hence a conscious) phenomenon. "Sentience" is also often used to connote consciousness in general.
How many friggin times am I going to have to repeat that physical and metaphysical ARE NOT DIFFERENT THINGS.

"Metaphysical" means "pertaining to the philosophy of existence."

If what exists is physical stuff, then philosophy about the existence of physical stuff IS METAPHYSICS. "Physical" is a category in metaphysics.

Purpose/attitude are physical. Physical things exist. Hence we're talking about metaphysics when we talk about physical stuff per se.
"Directness":
The word I used was "directEDness," not "directness."
Everything that exists is physical. Physical things ARE METAPHYSICAL. At least acknowledge that I'm telling you this. You can disagree with it, but then present your disagreement. Don't act like I haven't said it 50 times.
1. To your first point of 'acquiescence' are you saying then that consciousness is both physical and metaphysical? Just want to be clear there.

2. I did not say anything about being 'not conscious' (Although Freud theorized about the conscious, subconscious and unconscious mind-another discussion altogether). Are you saying then, that the human Will and human Sentience (feelings) are in-themselves, metaphysical or physical? (Sorry but it's not clear where you stand on that question-you seem to be equivocating a little bit.)

3. Okay, now you are saying that the physical and metaphysical" are not different things".Got it. Now, can you provide an example of how that works? For instance, in the context of any number of metaphysical things we've been parsing (the Will, sentience, intention, purpose, etc..), please share why, where, what, and how a human being can physically describe and explain their own natural "purpose" , just as one example.

I know you've been repeating yourself, but that's because you're not making it clear, using logic, how those metaphysical things from our conscious existence can be explained and described as such. Make sense?
― Albert Einstein
Terrapin Station

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 20th, 2021, 3:09 pm 1. To your first point of 'acquiescence' are you saying then that consciousness is both physical and metaphysical? Just want to be clear there.
Yes. Any and every physical thing that exists is metaphysical. Consciousness is a physical thing that exists. It's also metaphysical, since it exists.
Are you saying then, that the human Will and human Sentience (feelings) are in-themselves, metaphysical or physical? (Sorry but it's not clear where you stand on that question-you seem to be equivocating a little bit.)
"Metaphysical or physical" makes NO SENSE. "Metaphysical" is not a synonym for "not physical."

Everything physical is metaphysical. Consciousness is physical, and hence also metaphysical.
Now, can you provide an example of how that works? For instance, in the context of any number of metaphysical things we've been parsing (the Will, sentience, intention, purpose, etc..), please share why, where, what, and how a human being can physically describe and explain their own natural "purpose" , just as one example.
You describe and explain things by saying them or writing them, correct? Speech and writing are obviously physical, are they not?

I know you've been repeating yourself, but that's because you're not making it clear, using logic, how those metaphysical things from our conscious existence can be explained and described as such. Make sense?
An example of a "metaphysical thing from your conscious existence" is that you think, "I'd like to eat a slice of pizza." You describe that by opening your mouth and saying, "I'd like to eat a slice of pizza." And you'd explain it in the same way if for some reason someone doesn't understand it.

I'm not trying to be glib there. Either what is stumping you doesn't make much sense or you're not explaining it very well.
3017Metaphysician

Terrapin Station wrote: October 20th, 2021, 3:41 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 20th, 2021, 3:09 pm 1. To your first point of 'acquiescence' are you saying then that consciousness is both physical and metaphysical? Just want to be clear there.
Yes. Any and every physical thing that exists is metaphysical. Consciousness is a physical thing that exists. It's also metaphysical, since it exists.
Are you saying then, that the human Will and human Sentience (feelings) are in-themselves, metaphysical or physical? (Sorry but it's not clear where you stand on that question-you seem to be equivocating a little bit.)
"Metaphysical or physical" makes NO SENSE. "Metaphysical" is not a synonym for "not physical."

Everything physical is metaphysical. Consciousness is physical, and hence also metaphysical.
Now, can you provide an example of how that works? For instance, in the context of any number of metaphysical things we've been parsing (the Will, sentience, intention, purpose, etc..), please share why, where, what, and how a human being can physically describe and explain their own natural "purpose" , just as one example.
You describe and explain things by saying them or writing them, correct? Speech and writing are obviously physical, are they not?

An example of a "metaphysical thing from your conscious existence" is that you think, "I'd like to eat a slice of pizza." You describe that by opening your mouth and saying, "I'd like to eat a slice of pizza." And you'd explain it in the same way if for some reason someone doesn't understand it.

I'm not trying to be glib there. Either what is stumping you doesn't make much sense or you're not explaining it very well.
1. Okay. So you understand that metaphysical things exist, but you haven't explained the qualities of conscious existence, right?

2. Okay. You are unable to describe and explain human "purpose", right?

3. You seem to be equivocating again. You answered my question with a question (that's okay). Let's deconstruct your question(s) in response to my question:

a. "Speech":
NOUN
1.the expression of or the ability to express thoughts and feelings by articulate sounds.

"he was born deaf and without the power of speech"

b. "Writing":
NOUN

1.the activity or skill of marking coherent words on paper and composing text.

"parents want schools to concentrate on reading, writing, and arithmetic"

Questions for Terrapin Station:

4. Are you trying to say or argue that expressing one's thoughts and feelings ( your "Speech") answers the question I asked you thus: "why, where, what, and how a human being can physically describe and explain their own natural "purpose" ?

5. Are you trying to say or argue that communication in "writing" answers the question I asked you thus: "why, where, what, and how a human being can physically describe and explain their own natural "purpose" ?

To help, I think if you concentrate on the feeling of "purpose", that it would not be germane to your reply concerning "eating Pizza". Purpose relates to first principles of Being, not the instinct of a human feeling hungry. Make sense?
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream