Can we agree as to what metaphysics is?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: Can we agree as to what metaphysics is?

Post by Terrapin Station »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 20th, 2021, 4:32 pm
1. Okay. So you understand that metaphysical things exist, but you haven't explained the qualities of conscious existence, right?
Let's stop here for a minute (I noticed that you're bringing up more and more points each post. That's going to be a problem). We'll get back to the rest in a minute.

If you recall, I have requirement for doing a "That's not explained/that hasn't been explained" argument.

Those requirements are:

(1) You give detailed criteria you're using for counting as an explanation in general,
(2) You also tell us why your criteria from (1) are going to be the demarcation criteria for explanations, and
(3) We examine whether the criteria given in (1) actually are your demarcation criteria by testing them with a number of mundane things (so, not consciousness) that you believe are explained versus not explained, and we make sure that you can present explanations for what you consider explained that meet your criteria, and we see whether some of the mundane stuff that you don't consider explained can't be explained per your criteria.

I'm happy to do arguments hinging on whether something is explained, but ONLY if you meet those three criteria. It's your choice. Either meet the criteria, or that line of discussion will be ignored.

Remember I told you that if you bring this up again once we restart, we'll be right back to the above. So what's it going to be?
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Terrapin Station wrote: October 20th, 2021, 5:36 pm
1. Okay. So you understand that metaphysical things exist, but you haven't explained the qualities of conscious existence, right?
Let's stop here for a minute (I noticed that you're bringing up more and more points each post. That's going to be a problem). We'll get back to the rest in a minute.

If you recall, I have requirement for doing a "That's not explained/that hasn't been explained" argument.

Those requirements are:

(1) You give detailed criteria you're using for counting as an explanation in general,
(2) You also tell us why your criteria from (1) are going to be the demarcation criteria for explanations, and
(3) We examine whether the criteria given in (1) actually are your demarcation criteria by testing them with a number of mundane things (so, not consciousness) that you believe are explained versus not explained, and we make sure that you can present explanations for what you consider explained that meet your criteria, and we see whether some of the mundane stuff that you don't consider explained can't be explained per your criteria.

I'm happy to do arguments hinging on whether something is explained, but ONLY if you meet those three criteria. It's your choice. Either meet the criteria, or that line of discussion will be ignored.

Remember I told you that if you bring this up again once we restart, we'll be right back to the above. So what's it going to be?
Okay. I know it's a bit overwhelming. We've got a lot of metaphysical phenomena to deconstruct (we're still on Will and 'purpose'), so you're right, lets stay on one 'concept' at a time:

All humans have purpose
Terrapin Station is a human
Therefore, Terrapin Station has purpose

The concept of Purpose:

1.the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.

"the purpose of the meeting is to appoint a trustee" ·
synonyms:

motive · motivation · grounds · cause · impetus · occasion · reason ·
[more]

VERB

1.have as one's intention or objective.

Are any of those 'things' false?
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 21st, 2021, 10:28 am All humans have purpose

That "all humans have purpose" is not immediately obvious to me. I'm not saying it's false, but I am not happy to consider it true without at least some justification?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
3017Metaphysician

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 21st, 2021, 10:55 am
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 21st, 2021, 10:28 am All humans have purpose

That "all humans have purpose" is not immediately obvious to me. I'm not saying it's false, but I am not happy to consider it true without at least some justification?
PC!

Nice, thanks for your contribution PC... .

In the spirit of metaphysics (first principles of Being) lets unpack that 'metaphysical' concern relative to conscious existence.

1. You used the phrase "not happy". Why does, or should, your (anyone's) happiness matter? Think out loud if you care to....

(We''ll try to answer that question before exploring what it means to have human 'purpose', and whether that purpose can be described/explained physically or meta-physically or a little of both.)
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Terrapin Station

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 21st, 2021, 10:28 am

Those requirements are:

Okay. I know it's a bit overwhelming. We've got a lot of metaphysical phenomena to deconstruct (we're still on Will and 'purpose'), so you're right, lets stay on one 'concept' at a time:

All humans have purpose

The concept of Purpose:

1.the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists.

synonyms:

[more]

VERB

You're ignoring all of the stuff I wrote about the requirements for an "this is not explained" discussion. Why are you ignoring that?

At any rate, yes, "All humans have (a) purpose" is false.
3017Metaphysician

Terrapin Station wrote: October 21st, 2021, 12:13 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 21st, 2021, 10:28 am

Those requirements are:

All humans have purpose

The concept of Purpose:

synonyms:

[more]

VERB

You're ignoring all of the stuff I wrote about the requirements for an "this is not explained" discussion. Why are you ignoring that?

At any rate, yes, "All humans have (a) purpose" is false.
Is that a trolling response or are you throwing in the towel, again?

Oh well, I guess I'll play the game. I know logic and metaphysics is not in your wheelhouse, but how about Deconstruction?

LOL
― Albert Einstein
Consul

Post by Consul »

Terrapin Station wrote: October 20th, 2021, 3:41 pm"Metaphysical or physical" makes NO SENSE. "Metaphysical" is not a synonym for "not physical."
One meaning of "metaphysical" is "applied, esp. in explicit contrast to physical, to what is immaterial, incorporeal, and supersensible", "that is above or goes beyond the laws of nature; belonging to an operation or agency which is more than physical or natural; supernatural" (Oxford Dictionary of English). However, in the general context of philosophy "metaphysical" isn't synonymous with "nonphysical", "superphysical", "hyperphysical", or "supernatural".
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Terrapin Station

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:18 pm Is that a trolling response or are you throwing in the towel, again?

Oh well, I guess I'll play the game. I know logic and metaphysics is not in your wheelhouse, but how about Deconstruction?

LOL
??? Why would you see it as either trolling of "throwing in the towel." You asked me if I thought any of that is false. I gave you my answer. "All humans have (a) purpose" is false.

So how about discussing this instead of changing the topic. You think that "All humans have (a) purpose" is true. I think it's false. How would we go about settling this in your view?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Consul wrote:One meaning of "metaphysical" is "applied, esp. in explicit contrast to physical, to what is immaterial, incorporeal, and supersensible", "that is above or goes beyond the laws of nature; belonging to an operation or agency which is more than physical or natural; supernatural" (Oxford Dictionary of English)....
Relating this back to the title: "Can we agree as to what metaphysics is?", the short answer, then, is "no, it seems we can't" and the reason why we can't takes us into a familiar discussion about the meanings of words more generally. It seems pretty clear that metaphysics, as defined within the discipline of philosophy, is largely centred on ontology - the study of what exists. This is pretty unambiguous. But the practical, "everyday" meanings of words tend to evolve with usage. Dictionaries attempt to keep up and tell us the current widely accepted usages. And it's clear that there is a very widespread public perception of "metaphysics" that it's specifically about things to which the notion of empirical evidence doesn't apply. So it tends to get used to mean "stuff that isn't science" or stuff that is, in one way or another, related to things that are perceived to be not-science, like emotions, religion, mysticism, and so on. There's a related perception that it's all about teleology (the idea that all things have some kind of objectively existing purpose), because of the obvious relationship between teleology and religion.

See, for example, this by LuckyR in a different topic:
We are in agreement that faith addresses the metaphysical. ... the metaphysical cannot be proven or unproven
That kind of comment (similar to lots of other comments), I think, expresses the widespread common (outside of philosophy) usage.
Consul wrote:However, in the general context of philosophy "metaphysical" isn't synonymous with "nonphysical", "superphysical", "hyperphysical", or "supernatural".
Quite.

So, this being a philosophy discussion website, some might argue that we should assume, unless it's explicitly stated otherwise, that words are being used with the meanings that are relevant to philosophy. Not the everyday language meanings (if there's a difference). In that context, "metaphysics" isn't synonymous with either teleology or "that which can't be measured" or "that which can't be proved" or similar. It's a wide ranging subject forming a foundation for all sorts of other subject, including science, obviously (since science clearly deals with things we at least assume, as a working hypothesis, to exist!).
3017Metaphysician

Terrapin Station wrote: October 21st, 2021, 6:52 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 21st, 2021, 1:18 pm Is that a trolling response or are you throwing in the towel, again?

LOL
??? Why would you see it as either trolling of "throwing in the towel." You asked me if I thought any of that is false. I gave you my answer. "All humans have (a) purpose" is false.

So how about discussing this instead of changing the topic. You think that "All humans have (a) purpose" is true. I think it's false. How would we go about settling this in your view?
Terrapin Station,

Unless we've overlooked something more dubious, your logic doesn't square with your belief system on many levels. I'll be more than happy to continue, however, depending on your response (and based upon your previous responses which we can certainly re-visit), you may not be up for the challenge (deconstructing your logic viz metaphysics):

All humans have purpose

To which Terrapin Station relied: "false"

Then Terrapin Station replied subsequently (above): "...so how about discussing this... ."

Hence, for one, it begs the question; what is your purpose in wanting to "discuss this" if you have no purpose?
― Albert Einstein
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

This is a good summary of how far we've got in this topic: not all that far. 😉 I would, though, like to extend one of the points you made, Steve.

Consul wrote:One meaning of "metaphysical" is "applied, esp. in explicit contrast to physical, to what is immaterial, incorporeal, and supersensible", "that is above or goes beyond the laws of nature; belonging to an operation or agency which is more than physical or natural; supernatural" (Oxford Dictionary of English)....
Steve3007 wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 5:42 am Relating this back to the title: "Can we agree as to what metaphysics is?", the short answer, then, is "no, it seems we can't" and the reason why we can't takes us into a familiar discussion about the meanings of words more generally. It seems pretty clear that metaphysics, as defined within the discipline of philosophy, is largely centred on ontology - the study of what exists. This is pretty unambiguous. But the practical, "everyday" meanings of words tend to evolve with usage. Dictionaries attempt to keep up and tell us the current widely accepted usages. And it's clear that there is a very widespread public perception of "metaphysics" that it's specifically about things to which the notion of empirical evidence doesn't apply. So it tends to get used to mean "stuff that isn't science" or stuff that is, in one way or another, related to things that are perceived to be not-science, like emotions, religion, mysticism, and so on. There's a related perception that it's all about teleology (the idea that all things have some kind of objectively existing purpose), because of the obvious relationship between teleology and religion.

See, for example, this by LuckyR in a different topic:
We are in agreement that faith addresses the metaphysical. ... the metaphysical cannot be proven or unproven
That kind of comment (similar to lots of other comments), I think, expresses the widespread common (outside of philosophy) usage.
Consul wrote:However, in the general context of philosophy "metaphysical" isn't synonymous with "nonphysical", "superphysical", "hyperphysical", or "supernatural".
Quite.

So, this being a philosophy discussion website, some might argue that we should assume, unless it's explicitly stated otherwise, that words are being used with the meanings that are relevant to philosophy. Not the everyday language meanings (if there's a difference). In that context, "metaphysics" isn't synonymous with either teleology or "that which can't be measured" or "that which can't be proved" or similar. It's a wide ranging subject forming a foundation for all sorts of other subject, including science, obviously (since science clearly deals with things we at least assume, as a working hypothesis, to exist!).
Some words have different meaning within philosophy and without. In such cases, it is sensible for us to default to the philosophical meaning(s). However, if we look at how "metaphysics" is typically used here, in this forum, it seems that it is mostly used in a philosophically-everyday way, to mean something like what I proposed, which you re-state as being "about things to which the notion of empirical evidence doesn't apply".

Excluding this topic, which specifically seeks to describe or define "metaphysics", I think the 'everyday' meaning is the one most commonly used in this forum. It may not be the most correct or complete meaning, but it does seem to be the one that is used most often.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Pattern-chaser wrote:...Excluding this topic, which specifically seeks to describe or define "metaphysics", I think the 'everyday' meaning is the one most commonly used in this forum. It may not be the most correct or complete meaning, but it does seem to be the one that is used most often.
Yes, it is indeed that meaning that most people here seem to use. The trouble is, because it means slightly different things to different people, it's the kind of thing that often leads to endless arguments which hinge on people simply using words in different ways to each other.

Look, for example, at what stevie said to JackDaydream a few minutes ago in a different topic:
stevie wrote:Sorry but even though you are using words like "physics" and "thermodynamics" and "Newton" and "quantum theory" as ornaments implying serious science the thrust of your posts (OP and this one quoted) actually is metaphysical speculation through and through.
That might well lead to a pointless argument.
Terrapin Station

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 10:26 am Terrapin Station,

Unless we've overlooked something more dubious, your logic doesn't square with your belief system on many levels. I'll be more than happy to continue, however, depending on your response (and based upon your previous responses which we can certainly re-visit), you may not be up for the challenge (deconstructing your logic viz metaphysics):

All humans have purpose

Then Terrapin Station replied subsequently (above): "...so how about discussing this... ."

Hence, for one, it begs the question; what is your purpose in wanting to "discuss this" if you have no purpose?
I didn't say, "No humans have a purpose." I said it's false that all do.

If there are 7 billion humans, and 6,999,999,999 have a purpose, but one doesn't, then it's false that all humans have a purpose, right?
3017Metaphysician

Terrapin Station wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 12:44 pm

All humans have purpose

If there are 7 billion humans, and 6,999,999,999 have a purpose, but one doesn't, then it's false that all humans have a purpose, right?
Terrapin Station: You seem to be certain in your supposition. Rearrange the proposition's to support your position. Then deconstruct the meaning of purpose to make those premises sound.
― Albert Einstein
Terrapin Station

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 1:28 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 12:44 pm

All humans have purpose

Terrapin Station: You seem to be certain in your supposition. Rearrange the proposition's to support your position. Then deconstruct the meaning of purpose to make those premises sound.
??? No idea what either part of that is saying really.

Do you mean to tell me that you don't understand that if one x is not-F, then it's false that all xs are F?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream