Events in the Universe are Purely Physical

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
3017Metaphysician

Re: Events in the Universe are Purely Physical

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Terrapin Station wrote: October 7th, 2021, 6:20 am
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 6th, 2021, 1:50 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: October 6th, 2021, 1:28 pm
What does it mean for something to exist?
Can you explain why you simply dropped out of responding to me the other two or three times I addressed this with you already?
TS!

What position would you like to argue or debate? Actually, if you prefer and are up to the challenge, why don't we have a one-on-one debate? We'll ask the moderators to set it up... ?
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
3017Metaphysician

PoeticUniverse wrote: October 6th, 2021, 4:15 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 6th, 2021, 3:34 pm Gosh
Your 'proposal' doesn't look like a proposal. What is your proposal?

(1-4 All physical)
P-AH-U!

I thought you wanted constructive criticism from your OP? Or, is it more or less a rhetoric devise (to campain for something)? No matter, if you can, try answering these metaphysical questions:

2nd Request:

1. Explain emergence of self-aware biological creatures and how conscious experience is exclusively physical. And explain why we should care to ask why.
2. Reconcile how and why material objects move through natural (metaphysical) phenomena: gravity, space and time? (Is gravity itself physical?)
3. Explain the concept of eternity (speed of light, inflationary universe, etc.) and timelessness.
4. What was happening before the BB?

There's more, but you've presented a pseudo 'creation' model that only includes physical matter...we could go on forever (no pun intended), but there's a good start I think.

As an ancillary note, if you provide support for a singularity model (BB), you must demonstrate cause and effect. In other words, as we discussed briefly, the BB model says nothing about where that singularity came from. Now would be a good time for you to explain where it came from, yes?

:)
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 7th, 2021, 9:53 am TS!

What position would you like to argue or debate? Actually, if you prefer and are up to the challenge, why don't we have a one-on-one debate? We'll ask the moderators to set it up... ?
Do you not remember interacting with me previously in response to you asking this question?
3017Metaphysician

Terrapin Station wrote: October 7th, 2021, 11:23 am

Do you not remember interacting with me previously in response to you asking this question?
Please feel free to paraphrase your (previous) response relative to this OP!

Thanks TS!
― Albert Einstein
PoeticUniverse

Post by PoeticUniverse »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 7th, 2021, 10:04 am No matter,
One thing at a time.

3rd and last request: What is your proposal?
3017Metaphysician

PoeticUniverse wrote: October 7th, 2021, 11:42 am
One thing at a time.

P-AH-U!

I believe my proposal is germane, yes? Let's see, I think I get it, since you're only used to doing poetic prose (your poetry) you may or may not be familiar with how one should support a typical OP thesis. Of course, it doesn't mean you can't break the rules, but informally (which is how many of us approach it) here are the basic 101 concept definitions:

Thesis: .a statement or theory that is put forward as a premise to be maintained or proved.

Proposal: a plan or suggestion, especially a formal or written one, put forward for consideration or discussion by others.

Unfortunately (hopefully you'll turn the negative into a positive) because your suppositions are not complete or comprehensive enough (it does not consider all causational forces, the nature of existing things, the nature of reality, the relationships between mind and matter, free Will, etc.) to support your premises, I propose that you consider the following questions (3rd Request):

1. Explain emergence of self-aware biological creatures and how conscious experience is exclusively physical. And explain why we should care to ask why.
2. Reconcile how and why material objects move through natural (metaphysical) phenomena: gravity, space and time? (Is gravity itself physical?)
3. Explain the concept of eternity (speed of light, inflationary universe, etc.) and timelessness.
4. What was happening before the BB?

As an ancillary note, if you provide support for a singularity model (BB), you must demonstrate cause and effect. In other words, as we discussed briefly, the BB model says nothing about where that singularity came from. Now would be a good time for you to explain where it came from, yes?
― Albert Einstein
Terrapin Station

PoeticUniverse wrote: October 7th, 2021, 11:42 am
One thing at a time.

Looks like the "let's write poetry together" honeymoon is over.
Terrapin Station

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 7th, 2021, 11:35 am
Terrapin Station wrote: October 7th, 2021, 11:23 am

Please feel free to paraphrase your (previous) response relative to this OP!

Thanks TS!
So here's a copy-paste of one of the recent exchanges with you about this (from here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17487&p=392235&hili ... ed#p392235)

Note that in this response, I'm already pointing out that I answered this three or four times, in posts addressed to you:
I've literally already answered this, in responses addressed to you, three or four times in the last couple weeks. I told you that synonyms for "x exists" include "x obtains," "x occurs," "x is instantiated," "x is present," "x is happening," etc. Did you read when I wrote that to you the other times? Do you understand it (and if not, why didn't you ask questions about it)? Do you agree with it (and why didn't you announce as much, either agree or disagree)?
Terrapin Station

I should have said a copy-paste of the beginning of one of the recent exchanges with you about it.

It's always that you either don't answer questions asked of you or you don't specifically respond to points made, and then you just stop responding.

Then you eventually start over, as if you have ZERO memory of any previous exchange, and as if you're reading from a telemarketing script, as you've done in this thread. I'd bet a million dollars you'll do the exact same thing again.
3017Metaphysician

Terrapin Station wrote: October 7th, 2021, 2:13 pm I should have said a copy-paste of the beginning of one of the recent exchanges with you about it.

It's always that you either don't answer questions asked of you or you don't specifically respond to points made, and then you just stop responding.

Then you eventually start over, as if you have ZERO memory of any previous exchange, and as if you're reading from a telemarketing script, as you've done in this thread. I'd bet a million dollars you'll do the exact same thing again.
TS!

LOL, I'll bet that same million you won't debate me one-on-one!!! Money where one's mouth is, maybe?

:P
― Albert Einstein
3017Metaphysician

Terrapin Station wrote: October 7th, 2021, 2:13 pm I should have said a copy-paste of the beginning of one of the recent exchanges with you about it.

TS!

I just had a brain fart. Let's call our one-on-one debate: What does it mean for something to exist!!!

Shall I set it up?
― Albert Einstein
Terrapin Station

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 7th, 2021, 2:28 pm LOL, I'll bet that same million you won't debate me one-on-one!!!
What exactly do you think we're trying to do here?

To debate, you need to answer questions, by the way. You won't do that. You'll just stop responding. And then later you'll try to act as if none of this happened or as if you have no memory at all of it.
Terrapin Station

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 7th, 2021, 2:30 pm

TS!

I just had a brain fart. Let's call our one-on-one debate: What does it mean for something to exist!!!

Shall I set it up?
You can "set it up" wherever, or just continue with it in one of the many places, including this thread, where I've tried to get you to engage.

What's the penalty going to be when you won't answer a question, by the way?
PoeticUniverse

Post by PoeticUniverse »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 7th, 2021, 12:56 pm my proposal is germane, yes?
Struck out again. No proposal; the OP stands.

Did you make your appointment with the memory doctor?
3017Metaphysician

Terrapin Station wrote: October 7th, 2021, 2:32 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 7th, 2021, 2:30 pm

TS!

Shall I set it up?
You can "set it up" wherever, or just continue with it in one of the many places, including this thread, where I've tried to get you to engage.

What's the penalty going to be when you won't answer a question, by the way?
Great! I'll reach out to the moderators and see what we can arrange. I've done them before, but not on this site. So it may take awhile. For planning purposes I'm thinking sometime next week to start? First of all, are you comfortable with the just a thesis statement thus:

What does it mean for something to exist?

Then I'll list all the metaphysical and physical things, then we can debate why the metaphysical things are not physical and vise versa?

It will be fun, you might like it. We'll keep it simple and approach it more as a philosophical 'discovery' process, as we just objectively debate definition standard's first.

I'll worn you though, it could get nasty. I float like a butterfly and sting like a bee; your hands can't hit what the eyes can't see. No metaphysical pun intended of course!!!

:P
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream