Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 2770
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JackDaydream wrote: October 11th, 2021, 12:25 pm Perhaps, the problem is that an essential binary logic in Western thought, and systems such as Taoism see the picture within a wider frame of reference.
I think binary thinking is so widespread that sometimes 'continuous-spectrum' thinking is ignored, or even ridiculed. I think this is a great problem with Western, techy, science-dominated culture, but it needn't be. It's the overwhelming dogma of science-is-the-only-tool that is the problem.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Belindi
Moderator
Posts: 4007
Joined: September 11th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by Belindi »

JackDaydream wrote: October 12th, 2021, 7:45 am Nick_A

I definitely see how there is such a lot of fragmentation in thinking, especially in the cultural plurality of present day philosophy. I have just been wondering how the 'I' of consciousness, which Ken Wilber speaks of as the 'witness' fits into the nature of a triadic perspective? It could be that this witness is a phenomenological aspect of the perception of continuums.
The complement of I is Not-I. I can't be without its environment of Not-I.
Nick_A
Posts: 3072
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 11:45 pm

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by Nick_A »

JackDaydream wrote: October 12th, 2021, 7:45 am Nick_A

I definitely see how there is such a lot of fragmentation in thinking, especially in the cultural plurality of present day philosophy. I have just been wondering how the 'I' of consciousness, which Ken Wilber speaks of as the 'witness' fits into the nature of a triadic perspective? It could be that this witness is a phenomenological aspect of the perception of continuums.
That is the essence of the human condition. Animal Man reasons by duality: affirmation and denial, yes and no, active and passive. yang and yin. The third force reconciles them from the same level of the earth.

Imagine a triangle. Yin and yang are on opposite sides of the base. A vertical line from both ends rise up to meet at the middle from a higher level of reality forming the triangle. The third force now reconciles duality from a higher level of reality

Animals including animal man is restricted to the mechanical yes and no of duality. Conscious Man sees yes and no as one as it looks down on duality from a higher level of reality. Imagine a conscious person looking down upon the duality of war. From their perspective no one wins but both sides react as unified under the influences of natural and cosmic influences. Only nature and its need to transform substances wins
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
User avatar
JackDaydream
Posts: 342
Joined: July 25th, 2021, 5:16 pm

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by JackDaydream »

@Nick_A
I am not entirely sure what you mean by the idea of 'animal man ' , but think that you probably mean the instinctual aspect of human nature. I am wondering about the developments beyond lower aspects human nature, and the evolution of this, and how people may consider duality on a philosophical level. Perhaps, a certain amount of human beings have reached the point of being able to think beyond the binaries.
User avatar
JackDaydream
Posts: 342
Joined: July 25th, 2021, 5:16 pm

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by JackDaydream »

@Pattern-chaser

It is possible that binary logic is bound up with the wiring of the brain, especially in the dichotomy of left and brain thinking. One writer, Anthony Gilchrist, has spoken of this, and has pointed to the way in which thinking needs to open up to a wider dimension, incorporating logic, emotion and intuition. It may be that our thinking and understanding needs to go beyond the power of reason, and that the standpoint of reasoning through logic imprisons human beings into binary categories.
PoeticUniverse
Posts: 616
Joined: April 4th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by PoeticUniverse »

Nick_A wrote: October 12th, 2021, 2:19 pm unified under the influences of natural and cosmic influences.
LIFE IN BALANCE:
THE SOLIDARITY OF THE CONCORDANCE


The blend of the coalition grows upon itself,
Striving for the dynamic-balance: of light
And dark, Yin and Yang, and wrong and right.

Reality’s not found in separate actions,
But in related events blended in twilight.

The concept of Classicism accentuates
Order and clarity of thought, simplicity,
Restraint, balance, dignity, and
A mistrust of emotion and excess;

However, since it relies on imitation and
The acceptance of objective standards,
It may lack spontaneity and degenerate
Into excessive traditionalism
And empty formalism.

Romanticism embraces an exaltation
Of the feelings, an individualism,
With new modes of imagination,
Of freedom of form, spontaneity,
Self-expression, and subjectivity.

It began, at least in art, music, and literature,
As a revolt against 18th century doctrines
Of restraint, forms and rules, decorum,
Stagnation, and blind tradition;

However, romanticism and classicism
Are now taken as more general terms.

Some exemplars of their contrast are:
Passion as opposed to reason;
The whole against the details;
The Yin facing the Yang as separate;

The right vs. the left side of the brain
“Don’t confuse me with emotion”
Or “don’t confuse me with facts”;
The sails confronting the rudder of the soul.

This epitome may become a battlefield,
Or it may grace a smooth sailing ship.

How easy they are not transformed,
These apparently opposing forces
That may wage war upon the other,
But how tremendous they can be
In the bond of confederacy.

Pure reason, ruling all alone,
Is a force confining and stale;
While passion, unattended,
Is a flame that burns to its own end.

Poetry is an ideal of the unison:
The right side of the brain
Provides the inspiration;
The left side devises the rhyme.

An utter, absolute classicist
Or romanticist is an extremist!
S/he honors one worthy guest
In the house above the other,
And so loses the love and faith of both.

Witness the average classicist at work,
One who knows little of the humanities,
One who ever works through lunch,
Never having the time to hear of life,
Making every decision by the book
But little from the heart.

Or the total romanticist:
One who can’t even hold a job,
Even taking drugs, and losing all control.

The writing of this page—this analysis—
Is rather a classicist undertaking.
But I do not live by the unbending way
And therefore my songbird
Is never imprisoned within.

Perhaps it chooses to be here, classically,
Or perhaps it will, at any time of day,
Burst forth and enjoy the total feeling.

Nor does a long wild night of lovemaking
Mean that you’ve gone bonkers.

Life is full of spikes of valleys and mountains;
It is only when one can’t merge the two
Or at least make jumps between
That one may need some reflection.

How can there be any sort of resolution
Of a dichotomy in which one side
Expresses itself so logically and
The other in emotions and images?

Well, if either one’s sails or rudder be broken,
One will soon be dead in the water...

Therefore, the discord and rivalry
Of one’s elements must become
Rhythm and sweet melody!

It’s not the same for everyone,
But the knowledge of
The ‘contrast’ itself is the first step…

Therefore, let your blended soul exalt
Your reason to the height of passion,
That it may sing and fly about,
Letting it direct your passion with reason,

That your passion may live and survive
Through its daily death and resurrection, but
In effect ever arising from its own ashes.

Now no one can ever achieve
The ultimate and perfect balance
Between classicism and romanticism,
But for the rare times when in the ‘zone’,
And indeed, this balancing attempt
Itself smacks of classicism!

And so we all have leanings—
And that’s what I mean when I say
My tilt is toward romanticism.

Emotion, slightly favored, rules,
But every so often I do check in
With logic and analytical reason.

Thereby I enjoy the world, mainly,
Because like many of you
I am much impressed by its wonders…

Without perception’s deeper depiction,
One finds little that excites—
Not noticing much, as ever in a hurry,
And seldom having the time…

Two other poor relatives
Of classicism and romanticism
Are substance and surface glory.

The romanticist in me likes the veneer
Of the shiny red car or motorcycle
But the classicist in me would like
To know that the vehicle operates well
And even be able to take it much apart,
For that is its very substance.

When I maintain my car or cycle well,
Shine it up, and then speed off
Into the country sunshine
With the wind on my face,
Then I have the best of both worlds!

Now I really don’t know all the answers—
I just like to tug at the hem of the garment
In which life’s mysterious dualities are clothed.

As ever as in all good marriages,
“The oak tree and the cypress
Grow not in each other’s shadow”.

People involved in the arts may
Like to listen to music while they work
In order to deactivate the left side of the brain
By giving it something innocuous to focus on.

Personally I often dream up many ideas
While listening to music that moves me deeply,
For then the imaginative power
Of the brain’s right hemisphere
Is free and inspired to soar unbounded.

Yes I do lean toward romanticism...
Perhaps it is my nature nurtured
Or perhaps I feel a need to counteract
The overabundance of classicism in the world

Or perhaps because in romanticism there is grandeur,
While in classicism there is but cold logic
And endless analytical thought.

But even with these leanings,
The good romanticists never forgets
That it is classicism that pays the bills
That authorizes the indulgences.

I have some hope that
In any totally classical person,
No matter how stern or dull s/he be,
That one day, somehow, somewhere,
There will come some small measure,
And then the ever-during triumph of jubilation.

Yes, the desire to be orderly and factual
Is a part of the human species,
But there are other yearnings in every person—

The desire to be imaginative and unrestrained in
Expressing personal emotions,
Warmly and freely flowing,

And to take in art, music, literature,
As well as escalate the way one lives a life
From an illuminating flame fed from the self,

A source of lucid experience that
Can usher wisdom and fervency,
As the means to the rounded truth.

Then luckily these may be some of its aspects:
Sentiment, celebration of nature, interest in the past,
A new emphasis on feeling and the senses,
Even actually enjoying melancholy and sadness.

Thence comes love of freedom, mysteries,
Even fascinating figures and heroes,
The allegorical, a delight in whimsy,
The improbable, and the ‘impossible’,

Of legend, folklore, and mythology,
An awe before the immensity of what is—
The Earth as a friend and
The sky as a warm blanket,
And certainly the uniqueness of the self.

The curious blend never lets one down,
Ever keeping one centered, but ranging.
So extroversion entertains at large,
While love’s introversion wins one-on-one.

Intuition and sensing
Can sustain each the other
In a magnificent fusion.

Thinking and feeling combined
Are of an unbeatable synergy,
Of a being coalesced and intermixed.

Sensing the general direction but
Not exactly knowing one’s next move
Is of a spontaneous higher ‘order’.

Here looms the classical planning of
A magnificently grand adventure,
Whether triumphant or of glorious failure
Always of the superb and the sublime.

Merge these ingredients, until smooth,
This loving mix, mingling and combining,
Soon melding into the ‘zone’, well integrated,
Stirred, whisked, and folded,

In and out, the commingling
That leads to the harmony of amalgamation’s union,
The marriage and the synthesis, the very admixture
Of the concoction of life’s ever-during brew.

The parts all sum to the whole flow, so
Life must be more like a mosaic done
Than some focused laser tunnel of sun.

Since few lengthy pleasures are lent to us,
We build a stained-glass window of small ones.

Oh thou soul, dare to live near the edge;
Brave the walk of the line, balancing fun
There between adventure and misfortune—
For the greatest blunder in life is to
Repeatedly fear that you might make one.

Hail! Lord Byron’s Golden Mean extends:
Let us have wine, lovers, song, and laughter—
Water, chastity, prayer the day after.
Such we’ll alternate the rest of our days—
So on the average we’ll make Hereafter!

Wholeness arrives by mixing the suspension:
Classicists drone toward dull perfection,
Romanticists drown in feeling’s affection;
Worse, others alternate between extremes—
It’s not this nor that but a joined direction.

Harmony then rolls along, round and round:
Each holding within it the seed of the other—
Yin reaches climax, then retreats in Yang’s favor,
A cyclic movement of rotational symmetry:
Rounded life is the blend of Yin/Yang together.

The perfect balance may still call upon us:
Edges dissolve when opposites are balanced—
Time and dimensional space are transcended.

Everything joins yet remains as itself,
For what “is not” is as great as what “is”.
User avatar
JackDaydream
Posts: 342
Joined: July 25th, 2021, 5:16 pm

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by JackDaydream »

@PoeticUniverse

Reading of your poem leads me to think that spectrums are so much more all encompassing, beyond the binary. I am also thinking about this in connection with Nick_A ' s remark earlier about how poetry is able to go beyond the division of duality consciousness, even though in mainstream philosophy prose writing is considered to be the basic format of writing and argument.
PoeticUniverse
Posts: 616
Joined: April 4th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by PoeticUniverse »

JackDaydream wrote: October 12th, 2021, 6:18 pm @PoeticUniverse

Reading of your poem leads me to think that spectrums are so much more all encompassing, beyond the binary. I am also thinking about this in connection with Nick_A ' s remark earlier about how poetry is able to go beyond the division of duality consciousness, even though in mainstream philosophy prose writing is considered to be the basic format of writing and argument.
The poetic form that I use as quatrains offers easily digestible chunks, some of them epigrammatic in that after the setup in verse one and two and a twist in line three the fourth arrives as a kind of a sting, although others are merely descriptive but held together by the even pace of ten syllables as even more digestible as a verse and by the rhythm and rhyme, but one cannot always rhyme scientific and philosophical terms and so they hold together by their insight. Poetry also helps the ideas to become more concise and precise, so as to be stated in just a few words, eliminating a lot of the blah, blah, blah between important points as in some philosophical papers.

The previous poem is like the book 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' would extend to, but in a lot less words. People tend to forget whole books, so when reading a book it helps to write down the core of the nuggets and pearls within as one goes along in it so that they can survive all the other noise.
PoeticUniverse
Posts: 616
Joined: April 4th, 2015, 7:25 pm

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by PoeticUniverse »

JackDaydream wrote: October 12th, 2021, 7:38 am I am afraid that I don't understand your point, 'Full and Null cannot be, nor any absolutes, this seeming to force the in-between'. Perhaps you could explain what you mean a in a bit more depth.
An old poster from the distant past, Nobody Nowhere, no longer to be found anywhere, liked a kind of relativism that is like relationism in that it had no absolutes.

'Full' is a solidity that is 100# chock full, having no room for movement, as extremely ONE, as he called it; 'Null' is the usual 'Nothing' or ZERO, as he called it.

As non-existent Absolutes that cannot do anything or even be reached, Full and Null nevertheless form a boundary that cannot be breached, and so what is in-between is some kind of other state or mixed state that is relative and relational, its entities having no intrinsic properties, but just features that are dependent on all else. Carlo Rovelli doesn't employ Full and Null but Nobody's does.

Nobody Nowhere has us residing in a faux reality broadcast from some kind of time-dilation effect that stretches the zero point between the all-at-once of what really happened way back, with the forward light being erased by the backyard gravity, which is rather akin to the positive kinetics of stuff being made possible by the negative potential energy of gravity.

In Between the Full and the Null

In that the impossible and non-existent
Absolutes of the Full and the Null
Are the boundaries constraining what can be.

(The all-at-once hypothesis herein is perhaps optional;
Maybe it is more that light doesn’t age rather than
It being able to travel anywhere instantly, but…;)

Absolute vs. Relative

A Null isn’t ‘there’ nor shows up here,
So, a full can’t be, either, with Null outside;
Thus, there is no absolute Full or Null,
Which forces the relative ‘in-between’.

‘Full’ as an Absolute Fails Even More

So, we can’t step into what isn’t there,
Nor can a Full expand into Null,
Nor can there be spacers of Null
Within the arena of a Full.

Relativism

Absolute time, space, and motion
Are impossible, which forces relative frames—
Of ‘fractional’ relations of the many
Near endless variations of quanta.

The Oddness of Light Photons

Light is ‘null’ to time—not a part of it,
Nor is light of space—it makes space-time ‘lit’.
On a light beam there’s no extent or time!
Light seems to have neither reason nor rhyme.

Already There

Light’s full speed in a true vacuum
Of no time and no space is as ‘infinite’,
For it is already everywhere;
In other words: everywhere in no time.

The Zero-Point Extended

This point of creation-annihilation
Is extended into a faux reality,
Both by finite consciousness and by
Light slowed by virtual particle pairs.

Light/Matter

Light photons colliding make for
Electrons and positrons, and vice-versa,
With the forward-time of photons being
Canceled by the backward-time gravitons.

Phantasmal Being

Each ‘now’ that’s created and recreated
Over the various relative quanta
Has really already happened, coming, going,
And never ever returning, gone in a flash.

Once Upon a ‘Time’

Of course, it did all really happen ‘once’,
As in all-at-once, in the timeless realm
That must be the state of the eternal IS,
With IS being close to what’s called the ‘Wiz’.

Nether-Nor

So, neither absolute solidity
Nor absolute vacuity can be,
Leaving relativism as a necessity,
For we do have sensory experience.

The Play

Our ‘reality’ is as a flip-book’s pages turning,
The still pictures changing a bit, granting
An apparent motion, such as in a movie;
However, we do get to experience it!

Come and Gone

Like the light from a star already spent,
Our ‘get up and go’ has long gone and went.
We all birthed, lived, and died right away;
There’s nothing left but the slo-mo replay.

Being Nothingness

Our parentheses in eternity
Flashes as a twinkling, but’s extended
By ‘time’ into a phantasmic life dream
That’s existent the same as if it were.

In the Eye of the Beholder

A life dream’s like a rainbow, not really there,
A false phenomenon become tangible
Through relativism, this faux true,
Molding temporary significance.

Arbitrary

Life’s indeterminate and not, the same
Being brought by the virtual as the true,
The mechanics being as incidental
As why ‘color’ chose its wave frequencies.

The Mechanics of Reality

The result, being the message, is undeniable,
But herein we speak of the messenger,
Which is the implementation,
As that of a recording over a live band.

The Balance of Opposites

Life’s here, as like virtual particles
Born this side of an event horizon
Of a Black Hole, real-eyes(ed) by their presence
In the realm of what’s been radiated.

What Makes No Difference is No Difference

There is no difference in what makes none;
‘Relativism’ is now playing, the living film—
A reality show in the inner theater
Of the mind’s eye, with the ‘I’ observing.

Existence Has No Opposite

‘Possibility’ is what’s fundamental,
For all that can be must first be possible.
This ‘Potential’ for All is the default,
Since a NOT can’t be, or even be meant.

The Math

0/0 = n (all variations), since any n times 0 = 0,
So, 0/0 is as nonexistence divided by itself
Into all of the various relative states;
No absolutes, so there’s only the temporary.

More Math

Zero is the greatest number, for it represents
The sum of negative and positive infinities.
Note that an actual infinity cannot be,
For it cannot be capped, and thus has no being.

Lighting the Way

Our finite speed of light, ‘c’, is such
Because it is slowed by virtual particles,
But, even so, to ride it makes time instant,
With all space shrinking to a point.

The Cosmic Egg

The Cosmos is as a giant neutron or photon,
The crests and depths waving, in a
Relative existence, between Zero and One,
Unable to reach either, jiggling-rippling.

Not Unbreakable, Not Unmakeable

The necessity of no Full and no Null
Makes for no Absolutes, which means
That time, space, matter, and motion
Have no intrinsic, indivisible qualities.

The First Cause

Thus, our ‘reality’ is only apparent,
Yet this effect happens always, everywhere,
For the causeless-defaulted ‘cause’ of this
Potential-Possibility must always be such.

Total Solidity and Complete Vacuity Can’t Be

The Full and the Null cannot mix;
Then there would be two opposite absolutes;
Plus, what is solid could not move,
So, neither can cut it; relativism rules.

Never/Ever Becoming

What’s said to be eternal isn’t made—
It’s here, from not anything, with no debit paid,
Which is to say, too, it’s not from anywhere,
And that seems pretty much like from nowhere.

No Source

Well, there’s nothing to make anything of,
So, then, that is ever what it’s made of,
Whether eternal or always becoming,
In that nether-land of the law of no laws.

Uncaused

For what is causeless there is no point
At which any specific direction
Can be imparted to it; thus, there is none:
Everything that is possible can happen.

Relations

There must be a relationship of Yin and Yang,
Such as between Full and Null as constrained,
For what is complete unto itself has no
Catalyst from which to initiate change.

The Big Bang

Of stuff swirling inward, the Universe
Banged forth space and time intertwined,
And within this became the contrast
Of electromagnetism’s transition.

The Oppositional Essence Continues On

Of electromagnetism then
Particles and radiation become,
Opposed, as lumps and fields, as incarnate:
Electrons, six quark types, and the photon.

The Why of Being and Nothingness

Being and all that it is not exhausts
Impossibility, as opposites,
And so all must be as that between,
For there’s no point to specify either.

Beyond Local Reality

Time, space, stuff, change, and form are real-ized from
The Fundamental Possibility,
Becoming the penultimate reality,
One possible from the probabilities.

Quantum Superposition is Real

Our reality comes not from nothing,
But exists always as possibility,
One that amounts to something workable,
Among all in superposition.

The First Impossibility

No form of a penultimate realness
Could exist alone before the rest, since
Everything is quantum-known-all-at-once;
For what could make the choice among many?

The Second Impossibility

Nor comes it from an Absolute Nothing,
Since there can be no such ‘thing’ at all,
So, since either way is impossible,
Fundamental Possibility IS.

The Unbelievable Truth

This ultimate basis of reality,
Though not much like our local reality,
Is hinted at by quantum physics—
It forms reality real as can be!

The Verifiable Truth

So how else could it be, for particles
Do appear and disappear from somewhere,
Going from here to there, with no between,
Manifesting from no-where to now-here.

The Shimmering Gleam

We butterflies, on the edge of forever’s flight,
Spread fast our wings on the ocean of light
That is of the ageless photonic opposing waves
In no time, mass, or space that is thereby made.

Here and Now Only

We are as beings of the everlasting light dream,
As products time and time again by its means,
Of the eternal return, as baubles blown and burst,
Though frames of time that quench life’s thirst.

Nowhere Man/Woman

Time future, time present, and time past
Are all at once, with not a bit of it to last.
The glorious light flashes us into being shone,
As the light ‘eternal’ of all time to be known.

Back and Forth

The photon secrets something and its anti,
Releasing them as electrons and positrons,
In collisions, regaining them, in their union
Upon annihilations, this zero-point stretched.
stevie
Posts: 96
Joined: July 19th, 2021, 11:08 am

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: October 10th, 2021, 11:22 pm In writing this thread topic, I am raising the idea of duality and how it is manifest in the various forms which I have described, and others. To what extent is the concept of qualia useful for understanding aspects of life, such as light and dark or night and day? To what extent is binary opposition essential as a metaphysical reality or, are opposites bound up with human constructs and meanings? Also, the whole experience of duality and continuum is a matter for reflection as being central to human experience.
Not being a friend of philosophical speculation I'd say that the concept of opposites is simply useful in a diversity of contexts because it serves a purpose and different opposites entail different results. E.g. it makes a difference whether I turn to the left or to the right when walking down a street because turning to the left will exclude the destinations I may arrive at when turning to the right and vv., so the duality or opposites of 'left vs right' is useful. In this way the knowledge of the linguistic community that uses 'left vs right' is applied by me as a member of this linguistic community.
User avatar
Pattern-chaser
Posts: 2770
Joined: September 22nd, 2019, 5:17 am
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus
Location: England

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JackDaydream wrote: October 12th, 2021, 5:49 pm @Pattern-chaser

It is possible that binary logic is bound up with the wiring of the brain, especially in the dichotomy of left and brain thinking. One writer, Anthony Gilchrist, has spoken of this, and has pointed to the way in which thinking needs to open up to a wider dimension, incorporating logic, emotion and intuition. It may be that our thinking and understanding needs to go beyond the power of reason, and that the standpoint of reasoning through logic imprisons human beings into binary categories.
I hadn't realised or considered that binary thinking is somehow instinctive. A quick search of the interweb seems to say that binary thinking is part of our brain's hardware. I thought it was just a 'style' of thinking, one of a number of ways.

Food for thought; thanks.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
User avatar
JackDaydream
Posts: 342
Joined: July 25th, 2021, 5:16 pm

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by JackDaydream »

@PoeticUniverse

I sometimes wonder if you think in poetic form because it seems that you have such a flow of poesis. I enjoyed writing poetry at school but have hardly done as an adult but I do like writing fiction. My mother wrote loads of song lyrics when I was a child and used to be looking for composers to put tunes to them. They were sort of soft rock songs that she ended up with as a few people wrote tunes for them and sang them alongside guitar music.

However, I do think that different modes of expression draw on different parts of the brain, especially the right and the left. Once, when I had a broken right wrist, I began experimenting with drawing using my left hand. The results were very different, and it seemed like the art came from a different place within my consciousness.
User avatar
JackDaydream
Posts: 342
Joined: July 25th, 2021, 5:16 pm

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by JackDaydream »

@Nick_A

I looked at what I wrote last night and it was probably ridiculous for me to say that I couldn't relate to humans having an 'animal side'. I realise that you are referring to the biological side of existence, and I was not connecting it in that way late last night. It is also probably because I have had so little experience of knowing animals, apart from a few cats.
User avatar
JackDaydream
Posts: 342
Joined: July 25th, 2021, 5:16 pm

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by JackDaydream »

@stevie

I would say that complementary dualities are a major part of embodied existence and most people probably don't stop and think much about it all. But, it seems to exist on so many levels, including the original computers being based on binary logic.
User avatar
JackDaydream
Posts: 342
Joined: July 25th, 2021, 5:16 pm

Re: Metaphysics and Understanding the Nature of Opposites

Post by JackDaydream »

@Pattern-chaser

Another aspect of the way the binary is hardwired into the body is in the symmetry of the right and left side of the body, although very few people are truly symmetrical. Handedness is generally right or left orientated, and a lot of people who are left handed but told that they must use the right experience a lot of difficulties. A number of psychologists, especially Ornstein, have looked at the different aspects of right and left brain thinking, but it is believed to be less of a clear distinction than conceived initially. Gilchrist saw the importance of drawing upon both and right, because some people have developed one side more strongly. He maintains that the integration of both parts enables balance of thinking to incorporate rationality, feeling and intuition.
Post Reply

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
by Dr Frank L Douglas
August 2021

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts

If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
by Mark L. Wdowiak
September 2021

The Preppers Medical Handbook

The Preppers Medical Handbook
by Dr. William W Forgey M.D.
October 2021

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide

Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
by Dr. Gustavo Kinrys, MD
November 2021

Dream For Peace: An Ambassador Memoir

Dream For Peace
by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah
December 2021