Consciousness: The Will vs. the Intellect

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
3017Metaphysician

Consciousness: The Will vs. the Intellect

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Taken from William Barrett's, Irrational Man (Existentialism):

"St. Thomas, the Intellectualist, had argued that the intellect in man is prior to the will because the intellect determines the will, since we can desire only what we know. Scotus, the Voluntarist, replied that the will determines what ideas the intellect turns to, and thus in the end determines what the intellect comes to know."

- Voluntarism: in the modern metaphysical sense is a theory which explains the universe as emanating ultimately from some form of will. In a broader psychological sense, the term is applied to any theory which gives prominence to will (in opposition to intellect ). In this latter sense, but not in the former, the philosophy of Augustine, Anselm, William of Occam, and Scotus may be styled Voluntarism.

- Voluntarism is the theory that God or the ultimate nature of reality is to be conceived as some form of will (or conation). This theory is contrasted to intellectualism, which gives primacy to God's reason.

-According to intellectualism, choices of the will result from that which the intellect recognizes as good; the will itself is determined. For voluntarism, by contrast, it is the will which determines which objects are good, and the will itself is indetermined. Concerning the nature of heaven, intellectualists followed Aristotle's lead by seeing the final state of happiness as a state of contemplation. Voluntarism, by contrast, maintains that final happiness is an activity, specifically that of love.

-19th century voluntarism has its origin in Kant, particularly his doctrine of the "primacy of the practical over the pure reason." Intellectually, humans are incapable of knowing ultimate reality, but this need not and must not interfere with the duty of acting as though the spiritual character of this reality were certain.

Questions concerning consciousness:

1. Which camp do you fall under; do you consider the Will taking primacy over the Intellect, or is the Will subordinate to the Intellect?
2. If the answer is, a little of both, is that not "logically impossible" ?
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
3017Metaphysician

Re: Consciousness: The Will vs. the Intellect

“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
3017Metaphysician

Those of you who may embrace the metaphysical Voluntarism of Schopenhauer:

" A proponent of metaphysical voluntarism is 19th-century German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer.[1] In his view, the will is not reasoning, but an irrational, unconscious urge in relation to which the intellect represents a secondary phenomenon. The will is actually the force at the core of all reality. This putting out of the drive–intention–vital dynamics later influenced Friedrich Nietzsche (will to power), Philipp Mainländer (will to die), Eduard von Hartmann, Julius Bahnsen and Sigmund Freud (will to pleasure). "
― Albert Einstein
Gee

Post by Gee »

Interesting questions; I don't think that I follow either camp and yet seem to agree with both.

Consciousness is something that I have studied most of my life, but I have not studied it formally, and am not familiar with the "isms" that are in your posts. I don't see "will vs intellect" as a valid dichotomy and both seem to be end products, not original sources, of a mental evolution.

I agree that intellect is knowledge and it is acquired, so it is not an original source. Will is not a source either because will is 'want' plus intellect; 'will' is a directed want.

Now, I can see 'want' as being the source of mental evolution whether we are talking about chaos as described in ancient ideas, or the waves and particles that blink in and out of existence as described by science. Both could be considered as attraction/repulsion or motion that 'wants' to balance as all of reality wants to balance. This seems possible, but this is not 'will'.

'Will' is directed -- it needs a specific point to focus from -- it cannot be directed from nowhere. Will cannot exist until matter exists, because it needs time and space to have an originating point to focus from. So I see want as the original source of the mental, and I see it as motion.

Good and bad and the "God" idea seem to be a separate issue, in my opinion, and much closer to our home planet. Of course, religion studies e-motion, recognizes it as spirituality and calls it "God", so maybe the "God" idea is not so far off after all.

Gee
stevie

Post by stevie »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 18th, 2021, 12:47 pm Taken from William Barrett's, Irrational Man (Existentialism):

"St. Thomas, the Intellectualist, had argued that the intellect in man is prior to the will because the intellect determines the will, since we can desire only what we know. Scotus, the Voluntarist, replied that the will determines what ideas the intellect turns to, and thus in the end determines what the intellect comes to know."

1. Which camp do you fall under; do you consider the Will taking primacy over the Intellect, or is the Will subordinate to the Intellect?
Considering the appropriateness of both, St. Thomas' and Scotus' expressions, to opt for one camp would be an act of the will ignoring the intellect.

However
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 18th, 2021, 12:47 pm 2. If the answer is, a little of both, is that not "logically impossible" ?
the answer can't be "a little of both" because that again would amount to ignoring the intellect which is telling that the two views are incompatible. Both, not ignoring will and not ignoring intellect, results in suspension of judgement as to primacy of will or intellect and leaving the two camps behind.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

The quantity of cerebration involved in decision making varies from person to person, and from occasion to occasion.

At one pole some people believe only emotional reactions to situations should be acted on while at the opposite pole some people believe only unlimited cerebral reflection can justify acting.

Sometimes large numbers of people are swayed by their emotional reactions as for instance conspiracy theorists, and dupes of clever political agitators.

There is a happy medium and safeguard between the two poles: emotional reactions are necessary but should always be refined by self knowledge.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 18th, 2021, 12:47 pm Taken from William Barrett's, Irrational Man (Existentialism):

- Voluntarism: in the modern metaphysical sense is a theory which explains the universe as emanating ultimately from some form of will. In a broader psychological sense, the term is applied to any theory which gives prominence to will (in opposition to intellect ). In this latter sense, but not in the former, the philosophy of Augustine, Anselm, William of Occam, and Scotus may be styled Voluntarism.

- Voluntarism is the theory that God or the ultimate nature of reality is to be conceived as some form of will (or conation). This theory is contrasted to intellectualism, which gives primacy to God's reason.

-According to intellectualism, choices of the will result from that which the intellect recognizes as good; the will itself is determined. For voluntarism, by contrast, it is the will which determines which objects are good, and the will itself is indetermined. Concerning the nature of heaven, intellectualists followed Aristotle's lead by seeing the final state of happiness as a state of contemplation. Voluntarism, by contrast, maintains that final happiness is an activity, specifically that of love.

-19th century voluntarism has its origin in Kant, particularly his doctrine of the "primacy of the practical over the pure reason." Intellectually, humans are incapable of knowing ultimate reality, but this need not and must not interfere with the duty of acting as though the spiritual character of this reality were certain.

Great question. In my experience it varies in various people and varies in a single person at various times. In the perfect situation they would co-exist separately. The intellect would be free of the will's opinion and evaluate all incoming information without it being editorialized by the will. After the intellect's analysis, the part of the will that is variable, would be influenced by the product of the intellect's work, combined with the part of the will that is native (relatively constant), would conclude with the final decision.

Of course we are all familiar with individuals who make decisions based on personality and others who are number crunchers. IMO a balance as I described is best.
"As usual... it depends."
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@3017metaphysican

Perhaps, the will and intellect should not be separated so clearly at all. Kant, Shopenhauer and Nietzsche had a less clear knowledge of the way in which consciousness is not simply a function of the brain but distributed in the body as well as the brain. In particular, the emotions are based on complex biochemical reactions, such as the hormones and neurotransmitters. Freud was coming much later and was working on ideas about drives and the conflict between the life and death instincts. He saw the construct of ego as being important and will was bound up with this, especially in relation to will.

One particular writer who may be relevant to your area of debate is Iain Gilchrist, in his book, 'The Master and the Emissary'. He argues that the brain hemispheres come into play in thinking, and in philosophical perspectives too, including romanticism and the enlightenment. Gilchrist stresses that it is important for us to be able to integrate reason, intuition, feeling and intuition to one's perspective to achieve an integrated form of perception. However, he says that this does not mean that reason should be disregarded, simply that, 'The master needs to trust, and believe in the emissary.'

So, in raising the actual question about will vs intellect, and whether both can be conceived as important, or whether that is logically impossible, you are treating reason as the sole criteria. Logic and reason are important, but are not the complete picture. Will, which is connected to will to live is not apart from the intellect. Consciousness relies on the reason of brain but other aspects of mental and biological functions bring this together in synthesis.
3017Metaphysician

stevie wrote: October 20th, 2021, 3:20 am

Considering the appropriateness of both, St. Thomas' and Scotus' expressions, to opt for one camp would be an act of the will ignoring the intellect.

However
3017Metaphysician wrote: October 18th, 2021, 12:47 pm 2. If the answer is, a little of both, is that not "logically impossible" ?
the answer can't be "a little of both" because that again would amount to ignoring the intellect which is telling that the two views are incompatible. Both, not ignoring will and not ignoring intellect, results in suspension of judgement as to primacy of will or intellect and leaving the two camps behind.
Lucky!

Yes, so far some other interesting comments....including yours... .

Just thinking aloud, because in consciousness, the conscious and subconscious mind work together in an 'illogically possible' way (breaks the rules of Bivalence/LEM), logically, I'm thinking we are presented with the same kind of challenge in trying to resolve paradox. Though like most, I would prefer to assign an absolute value to one or the other, without an exact science, I'm afraid we are left with a gradient. As such, I would vote for the Will comprising , say, a 70/30 split where the Will takes primacy over the intellect. Again, that kind of description of consciousness is not truly logical in and of itself.

To the Voluntarist, the Will (the will to survive and not die, the will to seek pleasure and purpose, etc.-see metaphysical voluntarism) is an awfully strong impulse that seemingly drives the volition of all self-aware/conscious creatures. For the sake of argument, the will almost acts like emergent instinct. But everyone's instinct to live, to have purpose, to seek pleasure and the like is somewhat different. For instance, a scientist must do science, a painter must paint, and so on. And without that feeling of purpose, one might be in despair, which in turn could lead to other deleterious things...
― Albert Einstein
Formless777
New Trial Member

Post by Formless777 »

Is it possible instead to reject both intellect and will? I think so.

These are old ideas, and while they have an admirable pedigree, we need more complex formulations to unlock the most complex question humanity is ever likely to face; that of Consciousness.

We cannot know if a mollusc is conscious. Based on their actions, we can suppose that shell-fish such as periwinkles don't spend much time cogitating, and their response to their environment is very simple by human standards, to they point where we can predict and control what a periwinkle does by stimulating it externally. On the other hand, octopi are also molluscs, and their behavior can, based on a lot of evidence now evidence, be very considered indeed. The Buddha preached that even rocks can teach humans the principles of enlightenment.

Neuroscience has shown that all human actions that we might describe as volitional i.e. based on will, are likely to begin well before the activation of, say, our language center when we move to speak. These potentialities are essentially chemical in nature, as we certainly cannot say that the action of any single neuron constitutes consciousness.

One might argue that a periwinkle has will, as it moves and feeds itself, and reproduces, but with what we now know about nervous systems, it is highly unlikely that a periwinkle as anything approaching consciousness, which might be described as that moment of insight wherein the will realizes "I am I".

Consider then the human intellect. It knows "I am I" and has clearly moved on from that little insight by the time it turns 4 years old. On the other hand, this consciousness we identify with is the product of this electrochemical meat machine in which we dwell. The intellect may be aware of this perspective, and may even be aware of neurons and their interactions, but the fact is, the intellect is largely a passenger, and the control over the will the intellect assumes it has often proves to be an illusion. We lack any direct control over our mental activity, and may only influence it indirectly through interpreting our experiences.

I doubt that anyone would argue that Will (as defined) is likely the earlier production, but it definitely isn't conscious. It is also worth highlighting again, that while intellect is conscious, it isn't directly conscious of its own operations, and has to infer a lot.

Arguably the real problem here isn't with Will, or Intellect, but with the notion of Consciousness itself. If a question's answer is not apparent, one proceeds down a checklist of methodologies to find an answer. A methodology that is often most fruitful with a difficult question is to interrogate the foundation concept of the question itself.

So I ask you, collectively, how can we even begin to understand consciousness when we can barely define it in meaningful terms? We take the idea for granted on so many levels. Consciousness is also difficult to identify as it is verging on perfect subjectivity, so how can we be objective about it?
We have created a discourse on the matter, and a good deal of science now, which is largely driving the discussion due to artificial intelligence research, but perhaps (by analogy) the trap is that we may well be in a hall of mirrors, each reflecting the other apparently ad infinitum, but actually the images are merely shrinking and the clarity is breaking down, and much of the problem comes back to this notion of Consciounsess itself.

I would suggest that perhaps like Cancer, which it turns out represents multiple different diseases erroneously bearing the same name, that Consciousness is an imperfect description of something that is actually a category, but which we assume is a singular phenomenon we all experience.
3017Metaphysician

Formless777 wrote: October 22nd, 2021, 3:36 am Is it possible instead to reject both intellect and will? I think so.

These are old ideas, and while they have an admirable pedigree, we need more complex formulations to unlock the most complex question humanity is ever likely to face; that of Consciousness.

We cannot know if a mollusc is conscious. Based on their actions, we can suppose that shell-fish such as periwinkles don't spend much time cogitating, and their response to their environment is very simple by human standards, to they point where we can predict and control what a periwinkle does by stimulating it externally. On the other hand, octopi are also molluscs, and their behavior can, based on a lot of evidence now evidence, be very considered indeed. The Buddha preached that even rocks can teach humans the principles of enlightenment.

Neuroscience has shown that all human actions that we might describe as volitional i.e. based on will, are likely to begin well before the activation of, say, our language center when we move to speak. These potentialities are essentially chemical in nature, as we certainly cannot say that the action of any single neuron constitutes consciousness.

One might argue that a periwinkle has will, as it moves and feeds itself, and reproduces, but with what we now know about nervous systems, it is highly unlikely that a periwinkle as anything approaching consciousness, which might be described as that moment of insight wherein the will realizes "I am I".

Consider then the human intellect. It knows "I am I" and has clearly moved on from that little insight by the time it turns 4 years old. On the other hand, this consciousness we identify with is the product of this electrochemical meat machine in which we dwell. The intellect may be aware of this perspective, and may even be aware of neurons and their interactions, but the fact is, the intellect is largely a passenger, and the control over the will the intellect assumes it has often proves to be an illusion. We lack any direct control over our mental activity, and may only influence it indirectly through interpreting our experiences.

I doubt that anyone would argue that Will (as defined) is likely the earlier production, but it definitely isn't conscious. It is also worth highlighting again, that while intellect is conscious, it isn't directly conscious of its own operations, and has to infer a lot.

Arguably the real problem here isn't with Will, or Intellect, but with the notion of Consciousness itself. If a question's answer is not apparent, one proceeds down a checklist of methodologies to find an answer. A methodology that is often most fruitful with a difficult question is to interrogate the foundation concept of the question itself.

So I ask you, collectively, how can we even begin to understand consciousness when we can barely define it in meaningful terms? We take the idea for granted on so many levels. Consciousness is also difficult to identify as it is verging on perfect subjectivity, so how can we be objective about it?
We have created a discourse on the matter, and a good deal of science now, which is largely driving the discussion due to artificial intelligence research, but perhaps (by analogy) the trap is that we may well be in a hall of mirrors, each reflecting the other apparently ad infinitum, but actually the images are merely shrinking and the clarity is breaking down, and much of the problem comes back to this notion of Consciounsess itself.

I would suggest that perhaps like Cancer, which it turns out represents multiple different diseases erroneously bearing the same name, that Consciousness is an imperfect description of something that is actually a category, but which we assume is a singular phenomenon we all experience.
Formless 777!

BTW, love the 'handle'! I must say too, excellent analysis. And wonderfully lucid questions!!! I liked the notion, if I may interpret as such, your 'categories' that may help describe conscious phenomena (Kantian). And in this instance, the phenomenon between trying to assign meaningful sense data to the so-called binary attributes of the Will and Intellect. If the intellect is part of the Will, and the Will part of the intellect, we may simply find that they are inseparable thus making them transcendent in their own kind of way. Meaning, does their qualities (Qualia) feature an existence that goes beyond our capacity to logically explain them? We certainly cannot physically explain them as we would a cake recipe or a concrete mix design for a cast-in-place bridge structure.

That may, in part, be a paraphrase or interpretation (at least one anyway) of your 'wonderful' reply-thank you. Alternatively, as another thought experiment, and thinking aloud again, I would like to consider an analogy to Emergence. Consider the emergent properties of birds, automatically swarming as a fixed innate biological system of survival needs. Can we assign a similar value system to consciousness and self-awareness? My initial reaction is no. Emergent instinct, on many levels, is quite distinct from the human Will. To begin to parse these distinctions, I think, we must first review, again, the meta-physics associated with the Will itself (first principles of Being):

" A proponent of metaphysical voluntarism is 19th-century German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer.[1] In his view, the will is not reasoning, but an irrational, unconscious urge in relation to which the intellect represents a secondary phenomenon. The will is actually the force at the core of all reality. This putting out of the drive–intention–vital dynamics later influenced Friedrich Nietzsche (will to power), Philipp Mainländer (will to die), Eduard von Hartmann, Julius Bahnsen and Sigmund Freud (will to pleasure). "

As you alluded somewhat, can we assign such qualities of biologically conscious creatures whose existence include self-awareness and volition to, say, emergent instinct? Can we assign physicalism to its explanations? Not likely. For instance, one's Will to seek and want and need pleasure, will to power, will to decide to live and not die, all seems counterintuitive to such emergent survival instinct or advantage(s). In other words, what, when, where and how did the Will develop when emergent instinct is all that needed for biological creatures to survive? Similarly, I once did a cursory model (borrowed a bit from theoretical physics) of human value systems, otherwise known as a kind of pseudo Anthropic condition:

Initial Conditions--->Laws of Physics--->Organized Complexity

The universe starts out in some relatively simple and featureless initial state, which is then processed by the laws of physics to produce an output state which is rich in organized complexity. This is a symbolic representation of the cosmic evolution.

Matter--->Laws of Physics---> Mind

The evolution of matter from simplicity to complexity represented from the foregoing includes the production of conscious organisms from initially inanimate matter.

Primates--->Value Systems--->Humans

Self awareness is somehow produced by a value system that includes many intellectual concepts of sentient phenomena. Intention, will, beauty, ingenuity, etc., and other metaphysically abstract structures/concepts are part of this value system.

In any of these models, which include a large amount of complexity, is there an element of genuine transcendence (of physical reality)? How can genetic accidents and random mutations explain such complexity? (Refer to philosophical 'Structuralism' as a reference-point to a sense of 'abstract structures' in nature.)
― Albert Einstein
Consul

Post by Consul »

I've been wondering if willing or wanting is ever a subjective experience (an experiential, phenomenally conscious event or act) like feeling and thinking. For example, there is a book I want to buy; and thinking or innerly saying "I want to buy this book", and also imagining myself buying that book are certainly experiences. So are any (pleasant) feelings associated with my imagining that I buy the book, have, and read it. But what about the wanting (itself)? (The conscious thought-act or silent speech-act "I want to buy this book" is at most an expression or manifestation of my wanting rather than my wanting itself.) If it is anything at all, is the wanting itself anything more than a nonexperiential (phenomenally nonconscious) disposition or inclination to some form of behavior or action (such as tending to buy a book)? Is there a genuine and distinctive phenomenology of volition (wanting or willing)? Is there something it is like for me to want (or will) something?

(The same question can be asked about desires, wishes, and intentions: Are they ever subjective experiences with a genuine and distinctive phenomenal character, or just objective dispositions or inclinations to actions?)

Here are definitions of the noun "will" that I found in the Oxford English Dictionary:

WILL
=def
* Desire, wish, longing; liking, inclination, disposition (to do something)

* A desire or wish as expressed in a request; hence (contextually) the expression of a wish, a request, petition (sometimes passing into the sense 'a command')

* An inclination to do something, as contrasted with power or opportunity

* Intention, intent, purpose, determination

* The action of willing or choosing to do something; the movement or attitude of the mind which is directed with conscious intention to (and, normally, issues immediately in) some action, physical or mental; volition.

* The power or capacity of willing; that faculty or function which is directed to conscious and intentional action; power of choice in regard to action.

* Intention or determination that something shall be done by another or others, or shall happen to take place; (contextually) an expression or embodiment of such intention or determination, an order, command, injunction

* Consent, acquiescence, permission, favour, good will
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Consul

Post by Consul »

I just noticed that there is a meaning of the verb "to will" which makes willing stronger than wanting: "to make or try to make (someone) do something or (something) happen by the exercise of mental powers." (Source)

For example, there is a book I want to buy; but willing myself to buy it involves more than wanting to buy it, viz. actually causing myself to buy it or trying to cause myself to buy it. But this raises the general question of the causal efficacy of volition.
Consul

Post by Consul »

3017Metaphysician wrote: October 18th, 2021, 12:47 pmQuestions concerning consciousness:

Another possibility:

"The will and the intellect are one and the same thing."

(Spinoza, Benedict de. Ethics, Proved in Geometrical Order. [1677.] Edited by Matthew J. Kisner. Translated by Michael Silverthorne and Matthew J. Kisner. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2018. p. 87 [Part 2, Proposition 49, Corollary])
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I am a voluntarist because nobody does anything that they feel or think is not good or least bad. Conatus is peculiar to living entities and no living entity can endure minus conatus. Without conatus the living entity is deceased.

Reason is engaged to serve conatus, by intellectual animals. Intellectual animals are animals that can learn from experience. Reason is acquired via natural selection.

The "state of contemplation" (Aristotle) is peculiar to the Absolute 'when' time, causation, and relativity don't apply.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream