Is original thought possible?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
glamorc
New Trial Member

Is original thought possible?

Post by glamorc »

Can I have an original thought or is it all just a product of my conscious and subconscious learning? Who is to say that what is learnt by one is different or same from another even though they were studying the same thing? Do I understand the world in the same way others do?

Free will and original thought seem to be slowly fading due to the connection of the whole world through the internet. We can share, debate and persuade so easily that aren't we all just becoming of the same mind? Maybe so, but on the other hand each human has their own experience and comes to their own conclusions upon them.
Some people are stubborn in their ways, not open minded enough to be swayed by the opinions of others. Is that good? Do the stubborn people of today keep the world in a non conforming society? We also have to take in humans intrinsic want of connection and validation.

Some may say greatness comes from solitude and that may be true. Is it really from suffering that the mind produces original thought? I would like it if this wasn’t true but it sure seems to be.

Is it good or better that society stays with differing thoughts? Or should we all agree on a dogma?
I see that difference brings upon growth of the human mind, be it bad or good.

In a scientific mind, epigenetics leads us to believe that fear and even likes are genetic. Which tells me that, yeah, original thoughts aren't possible. There may be different versions of the same thought but never a new one.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Is original thought possible?

Post by Sy Borg »

If you were lost as an infant and raised by an animal pack, what original ideas would you have? What aspects that you think of as "you" would be present with the influence of human culture?
stevie

Post by stevie »

glamorc wrote: October 27th, 2021, 11:48 pm Can I have an original thought or is it all just a product of my conscious and subconscious learning?
Might depend on what one would subsume under "thought". Different aspects of "thought" might be: its verbal expression (which isn't necessarily the thought as such), its accompanying imaginations, its accompanying affects, its mental clarity and sharpness ... there might be other additional aspects and taking "thought" to be a compound of all these the appearance of an "original thought" is likely to happen.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

glamorc wrote: October 27th, 2021, 11:48 pm Can I have an original thought...?
I think this depends on what you mean by "original". You can subdivide thoughts and ideas, and if some of them are old, but one or two are new, is the overall thought/idea "new"? Isn't a single unique juxtaposition of ideas 'new'? And if an idea has been considered before, but you don't know, is the idea new because it's new to you?

On the other hand, after many generations of humans have lived and died, do you really expect to have an original idea, one that no-one has ever thought before? It's possible, of course, but after so long, how likely is it? And is it in any way a failing if you fail to come up with anything genuinely unique?

🤔🤔🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

glamorc wrote: October 27th, 2021, 11:48 pm Can I have an original thought or is it all just a product of my conscious and subconscious learning? Who is to say that what is learnt by one is different or same from another even though they were studying the same thing? Do I understand the world in the same way others do?

Free will and original thought seem to be slowly fading due to the connection of the whole world through the internet. We can share, debate and persuade so easily that aren't we all just becoming of the same mind? Maybe so, but on the other hand each human has their own experience and comes to their own conclusions upon them.
Some people are stubborn in their ways, not open minded enough to be swayed by the opinions of others. Is that good? Do the stubborn people of today keep the world in a non conforming society? We also have to take in humans intrinsic want of connection and validation.

Some may say greatness comes from solitude and that may be true. Is it really from suffering that the mind produces original thought? I would like it if this wasn’t true but it sure seems to be.

Is it good or better that society stays with differing thoughts? Or should we all agree on a dogma?

In a scientific mind, epigenetics leads us to believe that fear and even likes are genetic. Which tells me that, yeah, original thoughts aren't possible. There may be different versions of the same thought but never a new one.
What a fabulous question!

You said:

Can I have an original thought or is it all just a product of my conscious and subconscious learning? Who is to say that what is learnt by one is different or same from another even though they were studying the same thing? Do I understand the world in the same way others do?

Three quick thoughts:

1. The deconstructionist 'thought process' would posit that the same person who reads a text from say in their 20's, may interpret that same text differently when in their 40's or beyond. It seems as though not only does one's epistemic capacity evolve/changes over a period of time (our perspective about things change based upon experiences that we have ( i.e., politics, religion, interpersonal relationships, philosophy, hobbies, love, etc.) the metaphysical paradox of change is real ("Change is the only constant in life”- Heraclitus.).

2.Cognitively, I think one might want to consider the differences of true novelty v. the illusion of same. If when one is born, their database of experience/information is limited, then as one gains knowledge we add to that information. If the information contains knowledge about the world and ourselves in it (when do we become self-aware), but that in itself does not appear to be a truly novel thing (it would be truly novel in a subjective sense). Of course, when faced with the analogous concepts about determinism and indeterminism in nature, we can obviously conclude both are at work here. For example, it is true we are predisposed to act in certain ways, yet we are free to make random decisions that are not planned or anticipated (people have happenstance/accidents). In any case (free will is a big metaphysical discussion), there is an existential/epistemic paradox that won't allow for resolution.

3. With respect to understanding the world the way others do, yet another paradox rears its head. Objective truths (mathematics) are understood 'universally' as all people typically understand math in the same way. However, it can be argued that there is no such true novelty associated with same. For example, similar a priori truths are only true based upon knowledge without experience and its truth does not change, yet the same a priori knowledge teaches us about the world of change (the mathematical laws of the universe) and is only apperceived through the process of cognitive change (thinking). When discovering/uncovering new laws of the cosmos, it's as if there is an independent of existence there that occurs during revelation... .

4. The phenomenon of music is also paradoxical. Music being a universal language (a universal truth for all) effects people in different ways. It's as if we have this independent phenomena that exists (the physics associated with music itself/sound waves) and is perceived the same, yet differently, based upon the listeners perspective (cognitive awareness). Then, we have the creation of writing music itself, which implies true novelty and revelation that seems to come out of nowhere (like math/theoretical physics). That sense of one's own 'stream of consciousness' (I think term was coined by William James), can be argued both noumenal and phenomenal (Kant), not to mention novel.

Anyway, just thinking aloud there on some of the other possibilities to the questions...
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

glamorc wrote: October 27th, 2021, 11:48 pm Can I have an original thought or is it all just a product of my conscious and subconscious learning? Who is to say that what is learnt by one is different or same from another even though they were studying the same thing? Do I understand the world in the same way others do?

You also may enjoy this quote from William James/Maslow (can't remember who) that may also have some impact on epistemology.... :

What you are not you cannot perceive to understand; it cannot communicate itself to you.

“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 28th, 2021, 6:21 am
I think this depends on what you mean by "original". You can subdivide thoughts and ideas, and if some of them are old, but one or two are new, is the overall thought/idea "new"? Isn't a single unique juxtaposition of ideas 'new'? And if an idea has been considered before, but you don't know, is the idea new because it's new to you?

On the other hand, after many generations of humans have lived and died, do you really expect to have an original idea, one that no-one has ever thought before? It's possible, of course, but after so long, how likely is it? And is it in any way a failing if you fail to come up with anything genuinely unique?

🤔🤔🤔
I subscribe wholeheartedly to your thoughts here, PC. I would further muse that inventors might be capable of original thinking. Depending on whether thoughts about those not-yet-invented creations may be considered new, there’s another possibility for original thought.
PoeticUniverse

Post by PoeticUniverse »

glamorc wrote: October 27th, 2021, 11:48 pm Can I have an original thought or is it all just a product of my conscious and subconscious learning?
One's thoughts are indeed just the products of learning and experience; they don't arise of something outside of this as being truly novel as one's own as from some kind of self-cause; they are owned by the Cosmos as all that went into you; however, one can still figure great things out with the fixed will of the moment or in the future when the fixed will has enlarged its range and depth.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

All thought is orignal.
Its apparent similarity to the thoughts of others is an illusion.

Another way of looking at it is this.
Ask yourself was there a time when there were no human thoughts.
Now there is such a thing as human thought therefore all thoughts, even ones that appear similar to others had to be thought first by someone. QED original thought is possible.
In fact the very existence of thought means that it would be impossible to consider the idea that no thought is original.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@glamorc
Each person at a given moment may have a thought which original for him or herself, but that doesn't mean that no one has ever thought a similar thought, as they may be aspects and recurring patterns relating to the human condition. When anyone has the most strangest thoughts, or so it may appear, it hard to know if others have ever had such ideas before. In that sense, an original thought may be seen personally, and there is not a need to copyright it. Perhaps it can be appreciate it for what it is, as a perception and way of seeing, and possibly as an insight, or new way of looking at things, in its uniqueness and quality.

As human beings have been existence for so long it may be hard to come up with truly new ideas, but the mental states may be unique, in giving birth to new ideas individually, and certain aspects of differentiation of certain ideas, and even new philosophy movements.Who knows what may come next, in shuffling and rearranging concepts and ideas from the past , and the creation of new variations, and how do we limit or remain open to further possibilities?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 28th, 2021, 6:21 am

🤔🤔🤔
Yeah, pretty much I think we have original ideas all day long. There have been about 108 billion people in the history of the planet. Currently the average life span is about 70 years but for most of history it was below 35 years. There are about 1.1 billion seconds in 35 years. So that is about 1.2 x 10 to the 20th person seconds in the history of the planet. Discounting sleeping and say the first three years of life, that would make a smaller number. But lets say you can have a thought in half a second, that would even it out to about 1 x 10 to the 20th thoughts in the history of humans if folks had another thought every half second through all waking hours starting age 4. Obviously it could be a considerably smaller number if thoughts are complex and more time consuming.

Well considering there are 10 to the 40th possible legal chess moves (32 pieces on 64 squares) and that all possible thought has an almost infinitely higher variable count than a chess board, it seems odd that anyone's thought would be identical to a prior thought on planet Earth.
"As usual... it depends."
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

As a nominalist, unoriginal thought isn't possible.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

As I think LuckyR was trying to illustrate, the nature of combinations and permutations means that if we consider the question of original thought simply in terms of the number of possible brain states, then clearly original thought is easily possible, and will be for as long as the universe exists. If, for fun, we were to consider it specifically in terms of the language in which we can express our thoughts, then the number of possible sentences is similarly quasi-infinite. As the comedian/actor/writer Stephen Fry once pointed out in a comedy sketch, he can confidently speak this sentence:

"Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers."

safe in the knowledge that nobody has previously said those words in that order.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 28th, 2021, 3:42 pm All thought is orignal.
Its apparent similarity to the thoughts of others is an illusion.

Another way of looking at it is this.
Ask yourself was there a time when there were no human thoughts.
Now there is such a thing as human thought therefore all thoughts, even ones that appear similar to others had to be thought first by someone. QED original thought is possible.
In fact the very existence of thought means that it would be impossible to consider the idea that no thought is original.
That is to confuse original and unique. In an earlier post Sy Borg illustrated the influence on thought and practice of culture by referring to feral child. The origin of particular thoughts and practices is in culture, except perhaps for solitary species.

Otherwise,I agree that subjective uniqueness is what frees mankind to create 'original' work.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Terrapin Station wrote:As a nominalist, unoriginal thought isn't possible.
Presumably because (as you've discussed in various topics previously) a nominalist views the notion of identical-ness as not real; as an abstract concept. No two real things can be literally identical. Therefore no two thoughts (thoughts being activities that a real thing does) can be identical.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream