Which Aspects of Life Cannot be Fully Explained or Known?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
JackDaydream

Which Aspects of Life Cannot be Fully Explained or Known?

Post by JackDaydream »

I have been wondering this when reading and thinking about discussion on the thread which I wrote, ' Is it Metaphysics or Science Fiction'?' The areas which I think are difficult to explain include are whether there is any transcendent reality beyond the physical, what happens at death, and how body and mind come together to make consciousness. We do not know how the spark of life or of consciousness becomes manifest and origins of existence fully.

I am not suggesting that it is not worth considering and speculating on such issues. However, it may be that both theories in science and explanations within religious worldviews are attempts to fill in the gaps but I am wondering to what extent they may do so. So, I am asking you what you think will always remain as unexplained or unknown?
Nick_A

Re: Which Aspects of Life Cannot be Fully Explained or Known?

Post by Nick_A »

JackDaydream wrote: November 14th, 2021, 2:13 pm I have been wondering this when reading and thinking about discussion on the thread which I wrote, ' Is it Metaphysics or Science Fiction'?' The areas which I think are difficult to explain include are whether there is any transcendent reality beyond the physical, what happens at death, and how body and mind come together to make consciousness. We do not know how the spark of life or of consciousness becomes manifest and origins of existence fully.

I am not suggesting that it is not worth considering and speculating on such issues. However, it may be that both theories in science and explanations within religious worldviews are attempts to fill in the gaps but I am wondering to what extent they may do so. So, I am asking you what you think will always remain as unexplained or unknown?
"There is no logical way to the discovery of elemental laws. There is only the way of intuition, which is helped by a feeling for the order lying behind the appearance." Einstein
The universe is logical but only a few have the quality of consciousness essential to remember and understand it. But yes, I agree humanity has the potential to grasp the meaning and purpose of our universe and Man within it.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Nick-A
Intuition may grasp for ideas, but, surely, this only results in basic sketches of potential ideas and models for understanding, which may require further means of verification. I do not dismiss intuition but it is likely to have certain limitations. For example, the idea that the earth was flat may have been an intuition but it proved to be wrong. So, intuitive ideas may only be helpful until those based on the facts can be established which may or may not back up the intuitions.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

JackDaydream wrote: November 14th, 2021, 4:49 pm @Nick-A
Intuition may grasp for ideas, but, surely, this only results in basic sketches of potential ideas and models for understanding, which may require further means of verification. I do not dismiss intuition but it is likely to have certain limitations. For example, the idea that the earth was flat may have been an intuition but it proved to be wrong. So, intuitive ideas may only be helpful until those based on the facts can be established which may or may not back up the intuitions.
Intuition and wishful thinking are not the same. Intuition is the ability to remember elemental truths which have been forgotten. Once it has been remembered a person can learn by the rational mind how it manifests in the world under the sun
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.
Albert Einstein
Technology and its obsession with the rational mind and imagination has deadened the intuitive mind for all but the few who keep it alive in the world
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Nick-A
Do you think that rather than there being advances in knowledge and understanding that human beings have lost the intuitive grasp of understanding? I know that certain individuals in ancient times were able to think in an extremely sophisticated way, but the majority of the people may not have been able to access education in the way that people can today. But, there is the question as to what extent philosophical understanding is progressing or going backwards? Or, perhaps it is just that people answer and think about the recurrent questions in different historical and cultural contexts. However, the juxtaposition between rationality or intuition is interesting because it is more common to compare rationality with emotive perspectives.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

JackDaydream wrote: November 14th, 2021, 7:30 pm @Nick-A
Do you think that rather than there being advances in knowledge and understanding that human beings have lost the intuitive grasp of understanding? I know that certain individuals in ancient times were able to think in an extremely sophisticated way, but the majority of the people may not have been able to access education in the way that people can today. But, there is the question as to what extent philosophical understanding is progressing or going backwards? Or, perhaps it is just that people answer and think about the recurrent questions in different historical and cultural contexts. However, the juxtaposition between rationality or intuition is interesting because it is more common to compare rationality with emotive perspectives.
A person could write a book on those questions: But, there is the question as to what extent philosophical understanding is progressing or going backwards?

First of all, I take the Simone Weil view of progress:
“Nothing can have as its destination anything other than its origin. The contrary idea, the idea of progress, is poison.”
The being of Man or his essence is dual natured. His lower parts arose from the earth while his higher parts giving man his potential for consciousness descended from above. Progress is not the result of learning more facts but rather experiencing and remembering ones origin. An evolved human being will have remembered their origin through noesis and able to apply it below. An evolved human being would have a seed of a soul that receives from above and gives to below and grows in the process.

The human condition has made it so that rather than the lower parts or appetites serving the higher, the higher now serves the lower. Reason is ruled by appetites. The more knowledge of facts grows, the less is the desire to put them into a higher perspective and in the direction of our source.. The result is facts without meaning and devolution.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

JackDaydream wrote: November 14th, 2021, 2:13 pm I have been wondering this when reading and thinking about discussion on the thread which I wrote, ' Is it Metaphysics or Science Fiction'?' The areas which I think are difficult to explain include are whether there is any transcendent reality beyond the physical, what happens at death, and how body and mind come together to make consciousness. We do not know how the spark of life or of consciousness becomes manifest and origins of existence fully.

It it impossible to say what will always be unknown. It may be that those in the future will unravel all of our current mysteries but, in doing so, they might open up new mysteries we'd never imagined. The ancients, for instance, could never imagine the question of whether black holes existed, as was the case early in the 20th century.

In terms of technological progress, there are two huge roadblocks. One is the question of how to achieve timely interstellar travel. The other is whether it will be possible to digitise, and thus preserve, human minds. Despite my earlier reservations about predicting the future, it is difficult to imagine humanity achieving these two major milestones. It would seem more likely that machines will do all long-haul space travel, and that non-human (or multi-human) structures will achieve functional consciousness, albeit not quite as we know it.
stevie

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: November 14th, 2021, 2:13 pm ... So, I am asking you what you think will always remain as unexplained or unknown?
Ultimately everthing because ultimately valid knowledge is itself a speculative metaphysical conceptual object. I'd like to refer to my categorization in the context of the topic 'knowledge and belief* because I think it applies also in the present context. So 'knowledge' from my perspective always is the convention of a particular thematic collective and is nothing other than a collection of contextual linguistic expressions available as speech or text.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Bradskii

Post by Bradskii »

Nothing.

We have only just climbed down from the trees (we still actually snarl when we're angry). We can only send fellow creatures as far as the nearest satellite. The furthest we have sent any man made object is barely outside our own solar system.

It is literally impossible to conceptualise what we are capable of. Literally. Because we are built only to judge the arc of a thrown rock. To estimate the distance to the next mountain. So in one sense we won't 'know'. Maybe we'll never know. Maybe we'll never truly understand how far a million light years actually is.

But we have no limits.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

The only thing that surely can't be known is what *can* be known. Surely future folks will know and explain things we have yet to even consider. To do so will require new knowledge, technology and understanding that is not yet available to us.

As such, it is pure speculation to decide what we will or will not discover in the future. In the spirit of pure speculation, I will say that we may never understand what consciousness is. I don't think it has any material presence (though there many correlations with material things). Therefore, we have no basis for investigating and experimenting with consciousness itself, even as we are always moving on with understanding the correlations.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JackDaydream wrote: November 14th, 2021, 2:13 pm I am asking you what you think will always remain as unexplained or unknown?
Those wholly-metaphysical speculations, such as 'Are we brains-in-vats?', will surely remain unknown, as there is no evidence available that might confirm or deny them. There are other examples where the future appearance of new evidence seems implausible, but might happen. These will remain unknown until such time as that evidence makes its appearance.

Is that all you're asking, or is there more?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Bradskii wrote: November 15th, 2021, 3:14 am But we have no limits.
Do you mean to say that there are no externally-imposed limits to our progress? If so, I would have to agree.

But if you mean we can achieve anything we set our minds to, I would not agree. I am worried by this New Age guff we fill our kids with in school, and as we raise them to adulthood: "You can do anything you want to; there are no limits to what you can achieve." This leads, IMO, to severely depressed adults who feel they were promised the world, and are devastated to discover 'it ain't necessarily so'. Not everyone can be the President, even if they tell you otherwise.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
EricPH

Post by EricPH »

JackDaydream wrote: November 14th, 2021, 7:30 pm I know that certain individuals in ancient times were able to think in an extremely sophisticated way, but the majority of the people may not have been able to access education in the way that people can today.
We might know more about black holes now; but that only raises more questions. The extremely sophisticated wisdom of today; will not find the answers you desire in our life times.
JackGreek

Post by JackGreek »

Aspect of life that cannot be proved (therefore not explained or known)
1. That life is Physical (vs. fully mental)
Let me define "Physical" as used here: Is composed of, or is dependent on, non-alive things (un-perceiving particles and/or energies).
I believe that the statement: Life is fully Mental, at least has hope of provability/demonstration.

Because any demonstration that shows that Life is Physical can be argued that the experience of the demonstration was purely mental.
Conversely, an endless counter-argument would be that the mental experience was based on a physical thinking apparatus (a brain).
However, I believe there is a remote chance to prove Life is Mental, but no exit from the endless "which came first: mental or brain ?" for the Life is Physical argument. (But any remote chance proved is then law.)

Let me define an aspect of "prove" as used here: subjectively understood through an experience (like a scientific demonstration) that is believed to be understandable by all who are given a similar experience.

An Aspect of life that makes this question hard is: can an observer observe themself? I believe there is a chance for this if life is mental.
HJCarden

Post by HJCarden »

Examining the status of things that are unknown or potentially unknowable is a crucial part of many potential answers to this question. When we ask ourselves what it means when we describe something as unknowable, a conundrum of sorts arises. With a little probing, I believe that we would expose that we do not even know what we don't know. If someone tomorrow was able to tell you what happens after your death, more and more questions would come to light. Say we do go to a heaven of sorts. Is God an old gray-bearded man, or a trans woman as some instagram infographics have informed me? So it seems to me that no matter how much "truth" we can uncover, we will always be able to generate more and more unknowns. Somewhat paradoxically, it might be that there is a multiplicative effect at play, in which the greater our knowledge is the amount of things beyond our reach grows exponentially.

Which lead to my question in response to your question, do you think that this paradox is a condition that is created by the human mind, or that there truly is simply so much potential "truth" to be uncovered in the world that our minds have barely scratched the surface of it (and therefore when we gain knowledge we realize that there is even more that we don't know)?

Excited to hear your and other's thoughts on this question.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream