How Useful is the Concept of Qualia?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
JackDaydream

How Useful is the Concept of Qualia?

Post by JackDaydream »

I have been reading Daniel Dennett on the concept of qualia. He suggests that 'philosophers have tied themselves into knots over qualia. They started where anyone would start: with the clearest intuitions about their own minds. Those intuitions, alas, form a mutually self-supporting circle of doctrines, imprisoning their imaginations in the Cartesian Theater. Even though philosophers have discovered the paradoxes inherent in this closed circle of ideas_ that is why the literature gets more and more convoluted, instead of convuluting agreement.'

The idea of qualia was first introduced in philosophy by
CI Lewis in 1929. However, it is a complex area, so I raise it for consideration. To what extent is it useful, or does it blur and fuzz over issues to do with perception and what constitutes reality?
Faustus5

Re: How Useful is the Concept of Qualia?

Post by Faustus5 »

JackDaydream wrote: December 13th, 2021, 9:17 am However, it is a complex area, so I raise it for consideration. To what extent is it useful, or does it blur and fuzz over issues to do with perception and what constitutes reality?
I think that the introduction of "qualia" into the discourse was one of the worst blunders in philosophy of mind that has ever occurred.

If you are going to make a concept central to discussions of a topic, then at least establish benchmarks that everyone can agree upon as to what the term actually means. This never happened with qualia. People who stridently assert that qualia exist don't even agree with each other on what it refers to.

Dennett himself did a wonderfully revealing presentation on change blindness to a large audience, in which images were flashed to them over and over with changes from one to the other that were not easy to notice right away, most people requiring several tries before they were conscious of the difference.

He then did a poll: when did your qualia change as you watched the images? Was it changing every time the altered imaged was flashed onscreen, or did it only change when you became conscious of the change?

There was no consensus. The term is just meaningless.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Faustus5

Thanks for your reply and it does seem a very good idea that I should include some kind of definition, especially as I can remember when I first came across the term and was extremely puzzled by what it meant.

So, according to the 'Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 'Qualia are the subjective or qualitative properties of experience...Qualia have traditionally been thought to be intrinsic qualities of experience that are directly available to introspection. However, some philosophers offer theories that deny one or both of these features.'

On 'philosophyterms com.' site the definition is,
'Qualia are the phenomenal qualities of experiences_ the raw felt qualities of sensations, emotions, thoughts , or anything else. They are experienced privately: all the content of consciousness states is made of them.' In addition, 'Qualia are central to the questions 'what is consciousness' and 'how does brain generate consciousness. And qualia can be difficult to to talk about and even think about clearly; some people argue very seriously that they don't exist while others have argued that only qualia exist.'
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Faustus5 wrote: December 13th, 2021, 10:40 am
JackDaydream wrote: December 13th, 2021, 9:17 am However, it is a complex area, so I raise it for consideration. To what extent is it useful, or does it blur and fuzz over issues to do with perception and what constitutes reality?
I think that the introduction of "qualia" into the discourse was one of the worst blunders in philosophy of mind that has ever occurred.

If you are going to make a concept central to discussions of a topic, then at least establish benchmarks that everyone can agree upon as to what the term actually means. This never happened with qualia.
Of course it has. "Qualia" are the distinctive qualities which allow us to distinguish between signals delivered over the various sensory channels. E.g., to distinguish between green and blue, the smell of ammonia from the smell of roses, the taste of salt from the taste of sugar, the sensation of warmth from that of cold, etc. There is nothing mysterious or abstruse about that. If we can make such distinctions then qualia exist, perforce.

On the other hand, there has indeed been much nonsense written about qualia, such as Chalmers' insistence that qualia possess an ontological independence from the perceiving subject. Qualia are inherently subjective --- there is no means of comparing one person's experience of "redness" with another's. Whatever impression you experience when perceiving a red object which allows you to distinguish it from a green or yellow one, is your "quale" for that sensory signal. Whether your quale for redness is the same as mine is an unanswerable question, one that ignores the inherent subjectivity of qualia.
Dennett himself did a wonderfully revealing presentation on change blindness to a large audience, in which images were flashed to them over and over with changes from one to the other that were not easy to notice right away, most people requiring several tries before they were conscious of the difference.

He then did a poll: when did your qualia change as you watched the images? Was it changing every time the altered imaged was flashed onscreen, or did it only change when you became conscious of the change?
A misguided question. There are no qualia produced or associated with phenomena not noticed.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

JackDaydream wrote: December 13th, 2021, 9:17 am I have been reading Daniel Dennett on the concept of qualia. He suggests that 'philosophers have tied themselves into knots over qualia. They started where anyone would start: with the clearest intuitions about their own minds. Those intuitions, alas, form a mutually self-supporting circle of doctrines, imprisoning their imaginations in the Cartesian Theater. Even though philosophers have discovered the paradoxes inherent in this closed circle of ideas_ that is why the literature gets more and more convoluted, instead of convuluting agreement.'

The idea of qualia was first introduced in philosophy by
CI Lewis in 1929. However, it is a complex area, so I raise it for consideration. To what extent is it useful, or does it blur and fuzz over issues to do with perception and what constitutes reality?
I would imagine that DD has a clever and thoughtful critique, though I have to say, from memory that having seen a YouTUbe of him speking on the matter I was not convinced.
I have seen many on Philosophy discussion pages who mobilise DD to agree with their lack of understanding on the matter but miss his subtlety.
Most concepts tend to get overworked far too much but unless you are specific I can't comment on whether people are "in knots".

One thing positive I can say for sure. The idea that colour is not a quality of reality but a quality of perception is an important lesson that everyone should learn, and take their oh too human perceptions with humility to understand that we cannot truly know the world.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

My understanding is that Dennett does not actually believe that qualia is illusory, at least not these days, rather the aim was to stress test the idea.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

Qualia is nothing more than how one experiences and perceives the variety of things encountered. It's a combination of both inflection, reflection and intellection colluding with each other to create a distinct response as rendered by one's particular mental circuitry. Qualia is simply the sum of our perceptions. The real mystery resides in the process or brain chemistry which creates it.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Sy Borg wrote: December 13th, 2021, 7:13 pm My understanding is that Dennett does not actually believe that qualia is illusory, at least not these days, rather the aim was to stress test the idea.
Yes, he's been ambivalent about that over the course of his career.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Sculptor1
My own view is that it is likely that each of us perceives the world a little differently. I know that I notice some differences in perception of music or in vision, especially colour brightness according to my mood. When I am low in mood it does seem that my own perception is flatter and dimmer.

I also think that art reveals this too. Of course, people have different degrees of skill in being able to depict people and objects. But it does seem that people have unique perspectives. For example, what may make people gravitate to the pictures of Seurat or Van Gogh may be the way that such artists lead the viewer into a specific way of seeing.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Tegularius wrote: December 13th, 2021, 7:22 pm Qualia is simply the sum of our perceptions. The real mystery resides in the process or brain chemistry which creates it.
Well, not the sum of our perceptions. The term is a plural, the purpose of which is to put tags on those properties which permit us to distinguish among percepts.

You have to be careful conceiving qualia as "properties," however, for that inevitably provokes the question, "Properties of what?", and thus invites speculations as the substance to which these properties attach. Which then leads to dualism. It is safer to conceive of qualia, not as properties of anything, but as the modes by which percepts are expressed and differentiated in consciousness.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

@Sy Borg
The book on Dennett which I quoted from was one of his earliest ones, 'Consciousness Explained'(1991). I was actually more impressed by his writing than I imagined I would be. However, I do plan to try and find out his more recent thinking about qualia too.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

JackDaydream wrote: December 13th, 2021, 7:50 pm @Sy Borg
The book on Dennett which I quoted from was one of his earliest ones, 'Consciousness Explained'(1991). I was actually more impressed by his writing than I imagined I would be. However, I do plan to try and find out his more recent thinking about qualia too.
DD's ideas here may be of interest: https://psychology.fandom.com/wiki/Qualia
Daniel Dennett identifies four properties which are commonly ascribed to qualia. According to these, qualia are:

- ineffable; that is, they cannot be communicated, or apprehended by any other means than direct experience.
- intrinsic; that is, they are non-relational properties, which do not change depending on the experience's relation to other things.
- private; that is, all interpersonal comparisons of qualia are systematically impossible.
- directly or immediately apprehensible in consciousness; that is, to experience a quale is to know one experiences a quale, and to know all there is to know about that quale.
Tegularius

Post by Tegularius »

GE Morton wrote: December 13th, 2021, 7:43 pm
Tegularius wrote: December 13th, 2021, 7:22 pm Qualia is simply the sum of our perceptions. The real mystery resides in the process or brain chemistry which creates it.
Well, not the sum of our perceptions. The term is a plural, the purpose of which is to put tags on those properties which permit us to distinguish among percepts.

You have to be careful conceiving qualia as "properties," however, for that inevitably provokes the question, "Properties of what?", and thus invites speculations as the substance to which these properties attach. Which then leads to dualism. It is safer to conceive of qualia, not as properties of anything, but as the modes by which percepts are expressed and differentiated in consciousness.
I didn't mention "properties" nor would I describe it as such. I'm also well aware of qualia being plural and meant it as such as the sum of our perceptions, which in this case, has nothing to do with "precepts". In addition, mode, among its many meanings, expresses a way of doing something, in this case how brain chemistry creates the experience of qualia which a malfunctioning one can radically distort.
The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases; one of its diseases is called man ... Nietzsche
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Tegularius wrote: December 13th, 2021, 8:11 pm
I didn't mention "properties" nor would I describe it as such.
I know; I did in the sentence previous to that. Hence a caution on understanding my own use of that term.
I'm also well aware of qualia being plural and meant it as such as the sum of our perceptions, which in this case, has nothing to do with "precepts".
Percepts, not "precepts." Qualia is a collective term, denoting the plurality of distinguishable qualities of percepts, but I'm not sure in what sense it is a sum of anything. "Sum" has numerical implications which aren't applicable.
In addition, mode, among its many meanings, expresses a way of doing something, in this case how brain chemistry creates the experience of qualia which a malfunctioning one can radically distort.
Yes, "mode" has various meanings. But we can't infer any particular brain processes from qualia or from the differences among them. Perhaps a better term would be "manner" --- qualia are the manner in which sensory signals are manifested in consciousness. They are the forms those signals take when they present themselves to consciousness.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Sy Borg wrote: December 13th, 2021, 8:07 pm
JackDaydream wrote: December 13th, 2021, 7:50 pm @Sy Borg
DD's ideas here may be of interest: https://psychology.fandom.com/wiki/Qualia
Daniel Dennett identifies four properties which are commonly ascribed to qualia. According to these, qualia are:

- ineffable; that is, they cannot be communicated, or apprehended by any other means than direct experience.
- intrinsic; that is, they are non-relational properties, which do not change depending on the experience's relation to other things.
- private; that is, all interpersonal comparisons of qualia are systematically impossible.
- directly or immediately apprehensible in consciousness; that is, to experience a quale is to know one experiences a quale, and to know all there is to know about that quale.
Your link gives a decent summary of Dennett's views. Dennett, however, holds that the properties he (accurately, in my view) lists render the concept useless:

"In a series of thought experiments, which he calls "intuition pumps", he brings qualia into the world of neurosurgery, clinical psychology, and psychological experimentation. His argument attempts to show that, once the concept of qualia is so imported, it turns out that we can either make no use of it in the situation in question, or that the questions posed by the introduction of qualia are unanswerable precisely because of the special properties defined for qualia." (From your link)

And it is probably true that the concept will not be of much use to neurophysiologists, and it is certainly true that many of the questions one may be tempted to ask about qualia will be unanswerable. But that doesn't mean it has NO use, and neither of those failings entail that qualia don't exist.

Dennett makes another mistake when denying that Mary the Color Scientist learns anything new when leaving her black-and-white room:

"He argues that Mary would not, in fact, learn something new if she stepped out of her black and white room to see the color red. Dennett asserts that if she already truly knew 'everything about color', that knowledge would include a deep understanding of why and how human neurology causes us to sense the 'quale' of color. Mary would therefore already know exactly what to expect of seeing red, before ever leaving the room."

No, she would NOT know "exactly" what to expect. She would expect, as Dennett says, to experience SOME quale upon seeing red, but not WHAT quale. She couldn't know that, because that knowledge can only be acquired (per Dennett's own definition) by actually experiencing that stimulus. After first seeing something red, she will know how SHE perceives that wavelength of light --- how her brain presents that stimulus to her consciousness.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream