How Useful is the Concept of Qualia?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Belindi

Re: How Useful is the Concept of Qualia?

Post by Belindi »

Consul wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 8:19 pm
Gertie wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 7:26 pmAt first glance that doesn't seem right to me.

There are similarities between sensory experience referencing the outside world and 'internal' feely sensations like pain, hunger or lust, but memory has a particular flavour of its own, mood and the thinky voice in our head seem very different too. And I can imagine or remember myself having moods or thoughts, etc.

But these are all just different ways of categorizing experience, and we can categorize and sub-categorize differently for different purposes. I just don't find the qualia v other division appropriate of helpful. Not when addressing philosophy of mind questions at least.

And if we said every type of experience is essentially sensory, then we'd just have to add extra senses like mood-sense and think-sense and remember-sense, etc wouldn't we?
Remembering is a kind of imagining or thinking, and thinking qua innerly speaking is itself a kind of imagining by simulating outer speech. Thinking or innerly speaking is constituted by linguistically meaningful sequences of auditory or visual quasi-sensa (virtual sensa), which do have a particular qualitative character in virtue of which there is something it is like for you to think or imagine something. What I deny is that there is a distinctive non-sensory "cognitive phenomenology" of thought.

There is a distinction between diffuse (non-concentrated, non-localized) bodily sensations and non-diffuse ones, e.g. between a mood of depression and a pain in a tooth. Moods are diffuse sensations, but they are a kind of sensations all the same.
The experience is subjective. The environment of the experience includes all sensations including memories, moods, and ideas. Nothing exists unless it exists vis a vis an environment. In other words, 'me' and 'not me'. It follows that a diffuse pain and a focused pain, and also moods, and also other people are experiences of the body.
The 'me' in all this is the bundle of experiences that is future -orientated as it must be to survive.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Consul wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 6:53 pm
In my view, all types of subjective experience are types of sensory or quasi-sensory experience: Obviously, all kinds of sensation are sensory experiences; and I think all kinds of emotion are sensory experiences too, viz. bodily sensations. I also think all kinds of imagination are quasi-sensory experiences, in the sense that imagination is the imitation or simulation of sensory perception.

Given this reduction of emotions and imaginations to sensations or quasi-sensations, all experiential qualia are sense-qualia or quasi-sense-qualia, sensa or quasi-sensa in short.
How is a dream a sensory experience?
You seem to be achiveing an enourmous amount of fudge by attaching the prefix "quasi" in front of everything, but this just clouds your meaning.
So is a dream a bit like a sensory experience, in that although it does not involve actual sensory experiences in is, nonethless quasi in that it can include visual and audible elements.
If I dream about a mathematical concept, is that not a purely abstract event, and not in any sense, sensory, not even quasisensory?
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Consul wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 2:03 am
GE Morton wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 9:43 pm…Sensory signals --- electrical pulses transmitted via the nervous system --- per se don't have qualia.
By "sensa" I mean subjective(ly experienced) sensations. Mere sensory signals are pre- or subconscious.
Ok. Agree.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Consul wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 8:19 pm
Gertie wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 7:26 pmAt first glance that doesn't seem right to me.

There are similarities between sensory experience referencing the outside world and 'internal' feely sensations like pain, hunger or lust, but memory has a particular flavour of its own, mood and the thinky voice in our head seem very different too. And I can imagine or remember myself having moods or thoughts, etc.

But these are all just different ways of categorizing experience, and we can categorize and sub-categorize differently for different purposes. I just don't find the qualia v other division appropriate of helpful. Not when addressing philosophy of mind questions at least.

And if we said every type of experience is essentially sensory, then we'd just have to add extra senses like mood-sense and think-sense and remember-sense, etc wouldn't we?
Remembering is a kind of imagining or thinking, and thinking qua innerly speaking is itself a kind of imagining by simulating outer speech. Thinking or innerly speaking is constituted by linguistically meaningful sequences of auditory or visual quasi-sensa (virtual sensa), which do have a particular qualitative character in virtue of which there is something it is like for you to think or imagine something. What I deny is that there is a distinctive non-sensory "cognitive phenomenology" of thought.

There is a distinction between diffuse (non-concentrated, non-localized) bodily sensations and non-diffuse ones, e.g. between a mood of depression and a pain in a tooth. Moods are diffuse sensations, but they are a kind of sensations all the same.
Hmm. Maybe. I suppose it makes sense memory, thought,etc co-opt what's there to work with, but all have their own 'flavours'. It doesn't make them any less experiential - or help resolving the hard problem.

Rather, the debate concerns the nature of cognitive phenomenology. Is the phenomenology of cognitive states reducible to purely sensory phenomenology? Or, is there an irreducible cognitive phenomenology? A sceptic about cognitive phenomenology claims that conscious cognitive states are non-phenomenal. But, conscious cognitive states may seem to be phenomenal because they are accompanied by sensory states. For instance, when one thinks that ´Paris is a beautiful city`, one´s thought may be expressed in inner-speech and an image of Paris may accompany it. These accompanying sensory states are phenomenal states, and not the thought itself. Contrary to this, the proponent of cognitive phenomenology claims that a conscious cognitive state can have a phenomenology that is irreducible to purely sensory phenomenology.…"
It seems to me what you said is closer, that linguistic thought is experience, but it's 'quasi' hearing. Our folk ways of identifying senses, thinking, memory, mood arose because we recognise these thinghs exist, and are 'natural' categories. Even if we didn't and don't fully understand them, I know what it is like to read and understand your posts. Or sometimes not understand them ;). The understanding part feels different to simply reading the words, there's something extra there, a satisfaction or expectation being met or somesuch. Is that quasi reducible to other types of sensory satisfactions, well, hard to say, depends where you want to draw your lines. At some point the categories might be dictating the lines if we're too invested in them. 'Flavours' of experience avoids that.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Gertie wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 5:24 pmIt seems to me what you said is closer, that linguistic thought is experience, but it's 'quasi' hearing.
Thinking and imagining are experiences too, even if they are mental actions; and thinking in words or sentences is constituted by mental imagery like all other forms of imagination.

QUOTE>
"What I would like to call attention to is a tendency among philosophers to conflate thinking and materials used in thinking. We sometimes think 'in language', soliloquizing privately. On other occasions, we reflect non-linguistically. Some philosophers distinguish these, describing the first as 'propositional' or 'sentential', the second as 'imagistic'. But both kinds of thinking are imagistic: we deploy visual, auditory, olfactory, tactile, and kinesthetic images. Some of this imagery is linguistic, verbal. Verbal imagery can be auditory (as when you 'hear' utterances in your head), kinesthetic (you 'feel' yourself uttering sentences), or a combination of these. Some cognizers can visualize inscriptions, mentally 'sign', and 'feel' embossed letters or Braille sequences. The point to appreciate is that verbal imagery is no less 'imagistic' than imagery of other sorts."
(pp. 251-2)

"Inner utterances…are a species of mental imagery, where the images are images of what their audible, visual, or tactile counterparts sound, look, or feel like. There is no logical or conceptual gulf between linguistic ('propositional') imagery and imagery of other sorts, 'pictorial' imagery. Conscious thought quite generally is imagistic. Not all thoughts incorporate linguistic imagery, however. Much of our thought involves non-linguistic visual, auditory, tactile, or olfactory imagery. Indeed, your thought about a particular person might include verbal imagery (an inner utterance of a name, for instance) accompanied by a visual image of the person and perhaps other imagery as well. The association of imagery with thought is not a matter of identifying thought with images. Thinking is a matter of using imagery. …Without use, images or signs are empty; severed from use, representations fail to represent."
(p. 266)

"[C]onscious thinking is inevitably imagistic; to entertain a thought consciously is to deploy images of one sort or another. Imagery can be 'pictorial' or 'sentential'.You can imagine how something looks (did look, will look, or might look), feels (did feel, will feel, or might feel), tastes (did, will, or might tasts), sounds (did, will, or might sound), or smells (did, will, or might smell). One species of such imagining is verbal: you imaginatively utter, or hear, or feel yourself uttering, words."
(pp. 267-8)

"[O]rdinary conscious thought is best understood as the manipulation of images for various purposes."
(p. 271)

(Heil, John. The Universe As We Find It. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012.)
<QUOTE
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sculptor1 wrote: January 23rd, 2022, 7:14 am
Consul wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 6:53 pm…Given this reduction of emotions and imaginations to sensations or quasi-sensations, all experiential qualia are sense-qualia or quasi-sense-qualia, sensa or quasi-sensa in short.
How is a dream a sensory experience?
You seem to be achiveing an enourmous amount of fudge by attaching the prefix "quasi" in front of everything, but this just clouds your meaning.
So is a dream a bit like a sensory experience, in that although it does not involve actual sensory experiences in is, nonethless quasi in that it can include visual and audible elements.
If I dream about a mathematical concept, is that not a purely abstract event, and not in any sense, sensory, not even quasisensory?
Imaginative quasi-sensations are virtual sensations, in the sense of being simulations of sensations.

Dreaming is an altered state of consciousness; and I think it is a form of imagination, so its experiential content consists of quasi-sensations. If to "dream about a mathematical concept" is to utter sentences of inner speech referring to it during sleep, then these dream utterances are made of (linguistically meaningful) auditory quasi-sensations.

QUOTE>
"How should the term ‘simulation’ be understood…? …[T]he general approach I recommend, fairly consonant with a good bit of the simulationist literature (though not all of it), is keyed to the notions of similarity, copying, or replication. Very roughly, one process successfully simulates another, in the intended sense, only if the first process copies, replicates, or resembles the target process, at least in relevant respects."

(Goldman, Alvin. "Simulation Theory and Cognitive Neuroscience." In Stich and His Critics, edited by Dominic Murphy and Michael Bishop, 137-151. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2009. p. 139)
<QUOTE
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: January 24th, 2022, 3:09 amDreaming is an altered state of consciousness; and I think it is a form of imagination…
Others think dreaming is a form of hallucination; but I beg to differ, thinking instead that hallucinations are pseudo-perceptual experiences which occur only during waking consciousness, and involve actual sensations rather than virtual ones, i.e. sense-impressions rather than mental images (copies) thereof. (That the sensations involved in hallucinations aren't caused by exogenous stimuli is irrelevant here.)
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

GE
Gertie wrote: ↑January 22nd, 2022, 6:37 pm

The term ''qualia'' can be used in different ways, for example as only sensory experience, or all conscious phenomenal experience, so I don't find it that useful.

I'd rather people either specify they're talking about phenomenal ''what it is like'' experience generally, or specify what type of experience they mean. I tend to think in terms of ''flavours'' of experience, such as seeing, hearing, remembering, feeling sensations like hunger or pain, mood, imagining, thinking with your internal narrator, etc.
I agree that the lack of agreement as to what "qualia" includes reduces its explanatory and communicative utility. But it could be a useful term if some agreement was reached on that issue. I think that per the most general understanding of that term, it denotes the qualitative difference between inputs over a given sensory channel, such as color vision, odors, flavors, tactile sensations, sounds, which enable us to distinguish among them. Since we obviously can make those distinctions, each sensory signal must have some property that enables it --- that property is its quale.
OK thanks. So if a category such as colour vision is divisible into different sub-categories (different colours), those subcategories are qualia?

But then vision also includes varieites of depth perception, shapes, movement, perspective and focus. Colour is then a quale of vision?
But you're quite right that sensory signals are not the only inputs to consciousness. We can also distinguish among emotional states, e.g., between sadness, joy, anger, love, fear, etc., all of which have their own distinctive (and distinguishing) properties. So it would seem natural to recognize another category of qualia, namely, emotional qualia. Another class might be "autonomic qualia" --- the qualitative difference between various systemic states, such as hunger, sleepiness, thirst, anoxia, sexual arousal, and others.
Right
What all those qualia have in common is that they denote the properties which enable differentiation between signals delivered over a given "channel" (yes, we can think of emotions and autonomic information as having their own non-sensory "channels" --- the limbic system--- for delivering information to consciousness).

I'm not sure the term "qualia" has any useful application to memory or cognitive processes (thinking, understanding, analyzing, theorizing) etc., however. Those need to be analyzed with a different descriptive tool kit, with the qualia just described serving, by and large, as the "raw materials" upon which those latter functions/processes work.
Well neural correlation suggests every experiential state will have specific physical process we can call its ''channel'', tho some might be more complex and interwoven than others. And neural connectivity suggests to me no sub-channel is 'pure' red for example. And no individual's brain's physical colour system will be identical to another's, so if any two people look at the same red apple, there will be two distinct quales. And if we multiply that by the amount of brains there are, don't we have to conclude there is no specific red quale associated with any specific red object?

I'm inclined to accept the notion that more recently evolved cognitive subsystems will work with the existing sensory subsystems' ''raw materials'', but maybe result in new sensations like understanding, or some sense of satisfaction arising from the ability to manipulate abstract symbols or concepts in ways which 'feel right' by making sense within our model of the world.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Gertie wrote: January 24th, 2022, 6:26 pm GE

The term ''qualia'' can be used in different ways, for example as only sensory experience, or all conscious phenomenal experience, so I don't find it that useful.

I'd rather people either specify they're talking about phenomenal ''what it is like'' experience generally, or specify what type of experience they mean. I tend to think in terms of ''flavours'' of experience, such as seeing, hearing, remembering, feeling sensations like hunger or pain, mood, imagining, thinking with your internal narrator, etc.
I agree that the lack of agreement as to what "qualia" includes reduces its explanatory and communicative utility. But it could be a useful term if some agreement was reached on that issue. I think that per the most general understanding of that term, it denotes the qualitative difference between inputs over a given sensory channel, such as color vision, odors, flavors, tactile sensations, sounds, which enable us to distinguish among them. Since we obviously can make those distinctions, each sensory signal must have some property that enables it --- that property is its quale.
OK thanks. So if a category such as colour vision is divisible into different sub-categories (different colours), those subcategories are qualia?

But then vision also includes varieites of depth perception, shapes, movement, perspective and focus. Colour is then a quale of vision?
But you're quite right that sensory signals are not the only inputs to consciousness. We can also distinguish among emotional states, e.g., between sadness, joy, anger, love, fear, etc., all of which have their own distinctive (and distinguishing) properties. So it would seem natural to recognize another category of qualia, namely, emotional qualia. Another class might be "autonomic qualia" --- the qualitative difference between various systemic states, such as hunger, sleepiness, thirst, anoxia, sexual arousal, and others.
Right
What all those qualia have in common is that they denote the properties which enable differentiation between signals delivered over a given "channel" (yes, we can think of emotions and autonomic information as having their own non-sensory "channels" --- the limbic system--- for delivering information to consciousness).

I'm not sure the term "qualia" has any useful application to memory or cognitive processes (thinking, understanding, analyzing, theorizing) etc., however. Those need to be analyzed with a different descriptive tool kit, with the qualia just described serving, by and large, as the "raw materials" upon which those latter functions/processes work.
Well neural correlation suggests every experiential state will have specific physical process we can call its ''channel'', tho some might be more complex and interwoven than others. And neural connectivity suggests to me no sub-channel is 'pure' red for example. And no individual's brain's physical colour system will be identical to another's, so if any two people look at the same red apple, there will be two distinct quales. And if we multiply that by the amount of brains there are, don't we have to conclude there is no specific red quale associated with any specific red object?

I'm inclined to accept the notion that more recently evolved cognitive subsystems will work with the existing sensory subsystems' ''raw materials'', but maybe result in new sensations like understanding, or some sense of satisfaction arising from the ability to manipulate abstract symbols or concepts in ways which 'feel right' by making sense within our model of the world.
I think Gertie indicates that every quale is a gestalt, Each gestalt quale is posed against a background of what it is not. Each gestalt quale includes feeling tone(affect) and evaluation.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Belindi wrote: January 25th, 2022, 8:03 am

Right

I think Gertie indicates that every quale is a gestalt, Each gestalt quale is posed against a background of what it is not. Each gestalt quale includes feeling tone(affect) and evaluation.
Well I think we have to be careful about using materialist language to talk about experience, it's not always appropriate. The notion of parts, divisibility and reductionism don't seem to apply in the same way to experience as they do to describing brains. The experience I have when seeing the red apple isn't reducible or divisible to material parts, but includes shape, perspective, depth of vision - and can evoke memories, hunger, Adam and Eve and allsorts in that experiential moment, and something else the next. (I have a weird thing about fruit skins which puts my teeth on edge as I imagine biting them, that will be part of my experience of seeing a red apple, but probably not yours!)

There's also a unification about the field of consciousness which isn't reflected in the brain's subsystems and neural connectivity. It can still categorised by parts like vision and redness, but we have to remember the qualities of experience aren't the same as those of physical brains, and isolating building blocks in a process misses something.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Consul

I just tried multiplying 47 by 53 in my head. Manipulating symbols which represent abstract numbers seems a long way from sensory experiences, so I tried noticing what happened. And I found myself 'hearing' the numbers and 'seeing' them written. So yeah, I'm coming round to that. But the understanding of the rightness of my answer evokes this satisfaction/dissatisfaction sort of experience which is related to meaning and knowledge. Which seems different. Tho you could call it a quasi sensation which is a bit like slaking a thirst. As I say it depends where you want to draw your category lines.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Gertie wrote: January 25th, 2022, 9:17 am
Belindi wrote: January 25th, 2022, 8:03 am

Right

Well I think we have to be careful about using materialist language to talk about experience, it's not always appropriate. The notion of parts, divisibility and reductionism don't seem to apply in the same way to experience as they do to describing brains. The experience I have when seeing the red apple isn't reducible or divisible to material parts, but includes shape, perspective, depth of vision - and can evoke memories, hunger, Adam and Eve and allsorts in that experiential moment, and something else the next. (I have a weird thing about fruit skins which puts my teeth on edge as I imagine biting them, that will be part of my experience of seeing a red apple, but probably not yours!)

There's also a unification about the field of consciousness which isn't reflected in the brain's subsystems and neural connectivity. It can still categorised by parts like vision and redness, but we have to remember the qualities of experience aren't the same as those of physical brains, and isolating building blocks in a process misses something.
Exactly, Gertie. The gestalt is indivisible . It's more than the sum of its parts as it's also relationships of 'parts' with all other 'parts'.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Gertie wrote: January 25th, 2022, 9:28 amI just tried multiplying 47 by 53 in my head. Manipulating symbols which represent abstract numbers seems a long way from sensory experiences, so I tried noticing what happened. And I found myself 'hearing' the numbers and 'seeing' them written. So yeah, I'm coming round to that. But the understanding of the rightness of my answer evokes this satisfaction/dissatisfaction sort of experience which is related to meaning and knowledge. Which seems different. Tho you could call it a quasi sensation which is a bit like slaking a thirst. As I say it depends where you want to draw your category lines.
Consciousness and cognition&perception are interwoven, but the experiential content of the former doesn't consist of anything but sensory or quasi-sensory stuff. For example, when you look at this picture, you have a certain visual sense-impression, which is interpreted cognitively by your mind/brain either as a seeing of a duck or as a seeing of a rabbit. Seeing what is depicted as a duck seems different from seeing it as a rabbit, but the cognitive factor responsible for the difference isn't a nonsensory constituent of your visual experience. Instead, it's an extrinsic factor which influences your visual experience (and your thoughts about it).

JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Consul wrote: January 25th, 2022, 3:56 pm
Gertie wrote: January 25th, 2022, 9:28 amI just tried multiplying 47 by 53 in my head. Manipulating symbols which represent abstract numbers seems a long way from sensory experiences, so I tried noticing what happened. And I found myself 'hearing' the numbers and 'seeing' them written. So yeah, I'm coming round to that. But the understanding of the rightness of my answer evokes this satisfaction/dissatisfaction sort of experience which is related to meaning and knowledge. Which seems different. Tho you could call it a quasi sensation which is a bit like slaking a thirst. As I say it depends where you want to draw your category lines.
Consciousness and cognition&perception are interwoven, but the experiential content of the former doesn't consist of anything but sensory or quasi-sensory stuff. For example, when you look at this picture, you have a certain visual sense-impression, which is interpreted cognitively by your mind/brain either as a seeing of a duck or as a seeing of a rabbit. Seeing what is depicted as a duck seems different from seeing it as a rabbit, but the cognitive factor responsible for the difference isn't a nonsensory constituent of your visual experience. Instead, it's an extrinsic factor which influences your visual experience (and your thoughts about it).

I just found your last post from several months ago today, when I was looking at this thread in thinking about qualia in relation to ideas today. Somehow, neither I or
others writing on it replied to the post above, but it is a very good one.

The nature of such optical illusion like the duck picture say so much about the interpretative nature of reality. That is why Rorschach's ink blots were used in psychology because they raise the question of the interpretation of human beings. The cognitive worlds of the perceived determine the way in which people see or 'zoom' into specific ways of seeing based on biases, past experiences and cultural backgrounds. Having been reading this thread in connection with thinking about good and evil, it is likely that the ambiguities of interpretation occur in relation to ideas as well as aspects of the physical world.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Consciousness, like life, is a continuum. Death is a change from highly integrated communities of cells and free microbes to different communities of organisms.

Consciousness is just highly integrated and sophisticated reactivity to the environment. The level of complexity that can build in millions of years is jaw-dropping then you think about it, but emergences remain largely of the same nature as that from which they emerged.

So, when a mammal dies - be it a possum or a human - the nature of the animal's reactivity becomes reflexive and more chaotic as new communities of microbes take over the cadaver.

We humans are "better" at consciousness than anything else, in much the same way as saltwater crocodiles are better at biting prey items than other organisms and the manchineel tree is better at amassing large amounts of deadly toxins than other organisms. So, naturally, humans store great value in their consciousness, much like those people you meet at work who think their own job is far harder than anyone else's. Why do they think that? Because they don't know what others do, but they do know that their own job can be hard. So they make assumptions about their relative abilities based on a biased data set, just as humans do as regards consciousness.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream