Do we really choose anything?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Thomyum2
Favorite Philosopher: Robert Pirsig + William James

Re: Do we really choose anything?

Post by Thomyum2 »

RJG wrote: January 14th, 2022, 9:37 pm Thom, If you answered the main question in the OP, and then answered the follow up questions, then (hopefully) you will see the infinite regress, and the resulting logical impossibility of choosing.

If you can't understand or see the logical impossibility, then you can't. No biggie. Take care friend.
No I can't see the logical impossibility, but judging from the other responses on the forum, I'm in good company.

To start with, I think you have a four term fallacy in your argument because you're using the word 'choose' to refer to two different things. Which is compounded by the fact that you aren't able to explain how to distinguish between the two - 'choosing' and 'really choosing' - in any substantive way. One is supposedly an illusion and the other is 'real', but according to your assertion, the 'real' one doesn't even exist, so I'm not even clear what you mean by a 'real' choice in the first place. And your answer to my question is to refer me back to the logic. It seems to me that you're not proving anything logically, you're just playing a word game with the semantics of the word 'choose' that is nothing more than an assertion that people should be calling it by a different name, but then claiming that you've made a proof that there is no free will.

We could play that game with just about anything. For example:

Do we see the nerves that we use for seeing?

1. If no, then do we really see anything?
2. If yes, then do we see the nerves that we use in seeing the nerves that we use in seeing?

etc., etc.

ANSWER: No, seeing anything is logically impossible.

If vision is the ability to see, then vision is logically impossible.

QED

Now if I say to you: "If you can't understand or see the logical impossibility, then you can't" (and no, I can't either), then we have nowhere to go, do we?

You take care too friend, enjoy your weekend. :)
“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
— Epictetus
RJG

Post by RJG »

Thom, Lucky, Rhys, Stevie, Pattern, Jack, and Chewy:

Hey all, no offense, but to me, it seems that most, if not all of you, are running away from the basic topic question in the OP so as to avoid admitting to an ugly truth. How about we face the topic question head on?

*Do you consciously choose the thoughts that you use in choosing? -- Yes or No?

If we don't consciously choose the thoughts that we use in choosing, then obviously, our choice was "given" to us by the thoughts that we didn't choose.

And if we equate free-will with conscious control, then it is very obvious that we lack free-will. If you can't psychologically accept the ugly truth that this question exposes, then I expect that you will respond back to me with your favorite ad hominem attack....and the silly games of life go on.

*Note: I added the word "consciously" above to the original question to help prevent the "slippery" (avoidance type) answers typically given by those that can't psychologically accept an ugly truth.
stevie

Post by stevie »

RJG wrote: January 16th, 2022, 7:50 am Thom, Lucky, Rhys, Stevie, Pattern, Jack, and Chewy:

Hey all, no offense, but to me, it seems that most, if not all of you, are running away from the basic topic question in the OP so as to avoid admitting to an ugly truth. How about we face the topic question head on?

*Do you consciously choose the thoughts that you use in choosing? -- Yes or No?

If we don't consciously choose the thoughts that we use in choosing, then obviously, our choice was "given" to us by the thoughts that we didn't choose.

And if we equate free-will with conscious control, then it is very obvious that we lack free-will. If you can't psychologically accept the ugly truth that this question exposes, then I expect that you will respond back to me with your favorite ad hominem attack....and the silly games of life go on.

*Note: I added the word "consciously" above to the original question to help prevent the "slippery" (avoidance type) answers typically given by those that can't psychologically accept an ugly truth.
For the time being you have chosen to see it that way (to think about it that way) but you might also choose to think differently about it and maybe in the future you will.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:If we don't consciously choose the thoughts that we use in choosing, then obviously, our choice was "given" to us by the thoughts that we didn't choose.
stevie wrote:For the time being you have chosen to see it that way (to think about it that way) but you might also choose to think differently about it and maybe in the future you will.
You seem to have forgotten. None of us can really "choose" anything. "Choosing" (aka conscious control; free-will) is just another one of the fairy-tales that we humans have been indoctrinated to foolishly believe.

We may not like hearing this truth, but truth is truth. The sooner we can accept this, the sooner that we can then see reality for what it truly is.

...or we can just stay in denial, living our fairy-tale lives. ...ignorance can be blissful after all.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

RJG wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:30 am
RJG wrote:If we don't consciously choose the thoughts that we use in choosing, then obviously, our choice was "given" to us by the thoughts that we didn't choose.
stevie wrote:For the time being you have chosen to see it that way (to think about it that way) but you might also choose to think differently about it and maybe in the future you will.
You seem to have forgotten. None of us can really "choose" anything. "Choosing" (aka conscious control; free-will) is just another one of the fairy-tales that we humans have been indoctrinated to foolishly believe.

We may not like hearing this truth, but truth is truth. The sooner we can accept this, the sooner that we can then see reality for what it truly is.

...or we can just stay in denial, living our fairy-tale lives. ...ignorance can be blissful after all.
Well, you are correct about the effect of ignorance on soothing the ego.
"As usual... it depends."
RJG

Post by RJG »

LuckyR wrote:Well, you are correct about the effect of ignorance on soothing the ego.
Lucky, I love your ad hominemistic wit. ...if your logic was as good as your wit, you would be my hero.
stevie

Post by stevie »

RJG wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:30 am

This is the way you choose to think about it. I for my part can choose, too, how to think about it and I certainly do not share your view although I do not believe in absolutely free will.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
RJG

Post by RJG »

stevie wrote:I for my part can choose, too, how to think about it…
...from what (pre-chosen) thoughts are you doing this choosing with???

-- if thoughts are needed to choose, then we could never (in our lifetime) choose a single thought.

-- if a reason yields a choice, then we could never choose the reason (without an infinite regression).

-- if A>B, then we could never get B>A.
stevie

Post by stevie »

RJG wrote: January 18th, 2022, 10:14 am
stevie wrote:I for my part can choose, too, how to think about it…
...from what (pre-chosen) thoughts are you doing this choosing with???
As you yourself have probably done I've engaged in studying the thoughts uttered by others. Some appeared more persuasive than others which made me choose the direction for further investigation.
It is very unlikely that our history of learning/studying is the same which is the reason why we both at present come to different conclusions.

See, we both have been born without the ability to think conceptually. We both had to learn conceptual thinking by means of contacting our native culture, parents, and social environment and depending on our embodied human cognitive apparatus. But once the ability to think conceptually had been acquired and developed further then - based on appropriate awareness - one may gain more and more control as to one's thinking through insights into the dependencies/conditionings of it.
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:...from what (pre-chosen) thoughts are you doing this choosing with???
stevie wrote:As you yourself have probably done I've engaged in studying the thoughts uttered by others. Some appeared more persuasive than others which made me choose the direction for further investigation.
So then, if the persuasive thoughts from others caused the thoughts in you, that made your choice, - then which thoughts did 'you' actually choose???

Note: If you are trying to say that you chose persuasive thought A versus persuasive thought B, then again, from what pre-chosen (non-"given") thoughts did 'you' do this choosing with?

-- Continually kicking the can backwards in hopes of finding a non-"given", self-authored thought is futile (logically impossible; infinite regress).

If ALL our thoughts are "given" to us, then we don't have any "free" thoughts to choose with, meaning that free-will is a myth (and also logically impossible).

stevie wrote:It is very unlikely that our history of learning/studying is the same which is the reason why we both at present come to different conclusions.
The 'content' of our thoughts (our different learnings) has absolutely nothing to do with the logical impossibility of choosing our thoughts.
AmericanKestrel
Favorite Philosopher: Yagnyavalkya

Post by AmericanKestrel »

Sculptor1 wrote: January 13th, 2022, 10:00 am Yes we do, but you have to know who is the "we" and where is it that the volition and desires that lead to choices are made.

Like Peter O'Tool said We can do what we wish but we cannot wish what we wish.
Schoppenhaer : We do as we will, but we cannot will as we will.
If what we choose is conditioned by our desires, which are conditioned by our experiences and tendencies, how much of volition is there in the choice?
Peter is right. What we wish is conditioned.
"The Serpent did not lie."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

AmericanKestrel wrote: January 19th, 2022, 2:29 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: January 13th, 2022, 10:00 am Yes we do, but you have to know who is the "we" and where is it that the volition and desires that lead to choices are made.

Like Peter O'Tool said We can do what we wish but we cannot wish what we wish.
Schoppenhaer : We do as we will, but we cannot will as we will.
If what we choose is conditioned by our desires, which are conditioned by our experiences and tendencies, how much of volition is there in the choice?
Peter is right. What we wish is conditioned.
That is what I said.
We can chose what we want, but what we want comes from a deeper place over which we have no control. We are constantly gorwing and changing, and what is volition is the outward expression of our passion and need.
stevie

Post by stevie »

RJG wrote: January 18th, 2022, 4:56 pm
RJG wrote:...from what (pre-chosen) thoughts are you doing this choosing with???
stevie wrote:As you yourself have probably done I've engaged in studying the thoughts uttered by others. Some appeared more persuasive than others which made me choose the direction for further investigation.
So then, if the persuasive thoughts from others caused the thoughts in you, that made your choice, - then which thoughts did 'you' actually choose???

Note: If you are trying to say that you chose persuasive thought A versus persuasive thought B, then again, from what pre-chosen (non-"given") thoughts did 'you' do this choosing with?

-- Continually kicking the can backwards in hopes of finding a non-"given", self-authored thought is futile (logically impossible; infinite regress).

If ALL our thoughts are "given" to us, then we don't have any "free" thoughts to choose with, meaning that free-will is a myth (and also logically impossible).

stevie wrote:It is very unlikely that our history of learning/studying is the same which is the reason why we both at present come to different conclusions.
The 'content' of our thoughts (our different learnings) has absolutely nothing to do with the logical impossibility of choosing our thoughts.
But you are constantly applying a strawman because I've never asserted that "choosing" would apply in the context of thinking. Above I have clearly stated that "choosing" is possible only if the item choosen already exists. And I have categorized thoughts as 1. those popping up due to earlier self-conditioing and 2. those contructed intentionally with effort.
Now what is choosen in the context of 1 is the way of self-conditioning (because one prefers author A over author B when studying literature) and what is choosen in the context of 2 is the goal that is the basis for intentional effortful thinking.
However one might not be aware of these dependencies as it seems to be the case with you.
stevie

Post by stevie »

Now you may perhaps obsess again about this
stevie wrote: January 21st, 2022, 4:16 am
RJG wrote: January 18th, 2022, 4:56 pm ...
Now what is chosen in the context of 1 is the way of self-conditioning (because one prefers author A over author B when studying literature) and what is chosen in the context of 2 is the goal that is the basis for intentional effortful thinking.
However one might not be aware of these dependencies as it seems to be the case with you.
because I've used the word "chosen". But here is where comes in what I've written above:
stevie wrote: January 18th, 2022, 10:37 am ...
See, we both have been born without the ability to think conceptually. We both had to learn conceptual thinking by means of contacting our native culture, parents, and social environment and depending on our embodied human cognitive apparatus. ...
See?

Birth -> native culture, parents, and social environment & individual embodied human cognitive apparatus -> individual preferences -> prefering author A over author B or 'finding A more persuasive than B' + choosing goals ...

So as a consquence there are no thoughts at all that are "given" but one's thinking and cognition originates dependent on these factors that oneself may partially influence due to relatively free will.
RJG

Post by RJG »

stevie wrote:And I have categorized thoughts as 1. those popping up due to earlier self-conditioing and 2. those contructed intentionally with effort.
1. Yes, thoughts "pop into our head" without our conscious permission.
2. No, we cannot logically consciously or intentionally construct our own thoughts. If you don't believe me, then just ask yourself -- from which "non-constructed" thoughts will I do this construction with?"

If you did not construct (or choose/select) the thoughts that are used to construct your new thoughts, then you constructed nothing. Your (pre-constructed) thoughts are doing the construction!

It is logically impossible to be conscious of a 'content-less' thought. All our thoughts already come pre-scripted; and pre-constructed.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream