The religion of science

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
ernestm

The religion of science

Post by ernestm »

All science is based on an assumed premise that reality is logically explicable. The extent this religion has permeated society without acknowledgment is truly astonishing. Every time I look at Facebook, I see at least one comment ridiculing religious beliefs as 'disproved by science.' All science has done is taken those phenomena once accounted for by minor deities in ancient Greek philosophy and renamed them as 'forces' or 'random occurrences.'

For example, the ancient Greeks held that every single body of free-flowing water were controlled by its own 'Naiad.' The extent Naiads had free will was always a topic of debate. Naiads had rules they were expected to follow, but sometimes they were naughty and didn't do what they were meant to. Now jump to modern physics. All free-flowing water over the ground is subject to a rule called 'gravity' but simultaneously, due to the 'rules' of particle physics, water can actually flow uphill too, because the water molecules could all simultaneously move in the same direction--albeit, the likelihood of it happening is rare, but it remains true that it can happen. My physics teacher at school actually calculated the likelihood of all the tapwater in a glass spontaneously turning to steam, and found it is actually possible to have occurred once since the big bang--but extremely unlikely in the short time since humankind invented tapwater and drinking glasses. Nonetheless, one is obliged to point out that the theory of the ancient Greeks equally explains the movement of water as modern scientific models, and merely uses different terms for the observed states and events.

The atomic model is particularly full of absurdities that the ancient Greeks would ridicule with perfect justification. For example, last century it was 'observed' that the nucleus should fly apart because it contains particles of the same charge. A number of 'solutions' have been proposed: particles called 'gluons' were the original 'explanation.' The current popular 'explanation' is phrased differently: it states, as the electromagnetic force (which ias assumed to apply at the subatomic level) should make the nucleus fly apart, there must therefore be a 'strong nuclear force' to counterbalance it. This phrasing is mostly preferred, although it could equally be invisible 'gluons' with sticky surfaces on the surface of neutrons.

The problem here is the statement, "as the nucleus SHOULD fly apart, there MUST BE another force holding the nucleus together.' This is entire conjecture, created by our desire to make the electromagnetic force equally applicable at the subatomic level as it is at the groos molecular level. Due to the 'observer effect' it's actually impossible to 'see' what is actually there. The act of looking imparts energy on the observed particles, changing them. So what is 'actually' there is entirely a matter of belief.

Some beliefs have better explicable powers than others. When I was a child, there were only three subatomic particles in the atomic model. In the decades since, more subatomic particles have been added at a rate of at least two a year, on average. All of the 'new' particles that have been 'discovered' or 'invented,' depending on your point of view, are necessary to explain various anomalies that all cascade from the assumption that subatomic particles should be rationally explicable in terms of the phenomena of gross matter that we understand. There's no reason for that to be true, and in fact the complexity of the resulting model ends up being filled with so many odd anomalies that physicists have been trying to replace it with 'string theory' for quite a while now. In reality, there's no necessity for the atomic model to exist at all. There's no way to see the particles directly, only their influence. Science is necessarily a religion controlled by our own abilities of perception, and most people's abilities of perception don't even extend to recognizing the necessary significance of the assumed premise underlying all science: that which is not rationally predictable must be random.
stevie

Re: The religion of science

Post by stevie »

ernestm wrote: March 18th, 2022, 2:29 am All science is based on an assumed premise that reality is logically explicable.
Wrong. Science is based on evidence that does not depend on beliefs.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

stevie wrote: March 18th, 2022, 2:46 am
ernestm wrote: March 18th, 2022, 2:29 am All science is based on an assumed premise that reality is logically explicable.
The truth or not of your second sentence does nothing to bear out the first.
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

ernestm wrote: March 18th, 2022, 3:22 am
To clarify, all scientific statements rely on the definition poof 'truth.' Per Aristotleian logic, the existence of 'truth' is dependent on his law of excluded middle (LEM). According to LEM, that which is true must by definition be not false. Conversely, that which is false must by definition not be true. Together with a few other rational premises, such as the law of object permanence (LOP), each scientific discipline builds on truths defined by others, including the philosophy of science, which defines the extent by which propositions can be evaluated as truthful. That is the rational basis upon which such concepts as 'evidence,' 'dependence,' and 'belief' are defined within science. To make such a statement, you have already assumed a rational framework within which discussion is possible.

If you can't acknowledge the shared rational framework for discussion, no further discussion is meaningful.
stevie

Post by stevie »

ernestm wrote: March 18th, 2022, 3:32 am
ernestm wrote: March 18th, 2022, 3:22 am
To clarify, all scientific statements rely on the definition poof 'truth.' Per Aristotleian logic, the existence of 'truth' is dependent on his law of excluded middle (LEM). According to LEM, that which is true must by definition be not false. Conversely, that which is false must by definition not be true. Together with a few other rational premises, such as the law of object permanence (LOP), each scientific discipline builds on truths defined by others, including the philosophy of science, which defines the extent by which propositions can be evaluated as truthful. That is the rational basis upon which such concepts as 'evidence,' 'dependence,' and 'belief' are defined within science. To make such a statement, you have already assumed a rational framework within which discussion is possible.

If you can't acknowledge the shared rational framework for discussion, no further discussion is meaningful.
Science is a craft I have been taught. So I can't see what there is to be discussed about a craft. Either one applies the craft as taught or one does not practice the craft.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
Angelo Cannata
Favorite Philosopher: Heidegger

Post by Angelo Cannata »

ernestm wrote: March 18th, 2022, 2:29 am All science is based on an assumed premise that reality is logically explicable. The extent this religion has permeated society without acknowledgment is truly astonishing. Every time I look at Facebook, I see at least one comment ridiculing religious beliefs as 'disproved by science.' All science has done is taken those phenomena once accounted for by minor deities in ancient Greek philosophy and renamed them as 'forces' or 'random occurrences.'
It looks like you are confusing certain comments on Facebook with science. You wrote “Every time I look at Facebook, I see at least one comment ridiculing religious beliefs”; according to this, you should have started by saying “in the opinion of a lot a Facebook users all science is based on an assumed premise that reality is logically explicable”.
So, first you should clarify if you want to talk about certain Facebook users or about science. There is quite a lot of difference between them.
If you mix these two things, nothing can be clarified properly. Science is not based on what some Facebook users say.
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

Angelo Cannata wrote: March 18th, 2022, 11:14 am
ernestm wrote: March 18th, 2022, 2:29 am All science is based on an assumed premise that reality is logically explicable. The extent this religion has permeated society without acknowledgment is truly astonishing. Every time I look at Facebook, I see at least one comment ridiculing religious beliefs as 'disproved by science.' All science has done is taken those phenomena once accounted for by minor deities in ancient Greek philosophy and renamed them as 'forces' or 'random occurrences.'
It looks like you are confusing certain comments on Facebook with science. You wrote “Every time I look at Facebook, I see at least one comment ridiculing religious beliefs”; according to this, you should have started by saying “in the opinion of a lot a Facebook users all science is based on an assumed premise that reality is logically explicable”.
So, first you should clarify if you want to talk about certain Facebook users or about science. There is quite a lot of difference between them.
If you mix these two things, nothing can be clarified properly. Science is not based on what some Facebook users say.
Sorry to be contrarian, but I meant exactly what I wrote. It is me who is saying that all science is based on an assumed premise that reality is rationally explicable, and it is people on facebook ridiculing religion. I don't normally enjoy being contrarian. Contrearianism is an illness inflicted on philosophy by the poorly educated.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

stevie wrote: March 18th, 2022, 9:35 am Science is a craft I have been taught. So I can't see what there is to be discussed about a craft. Either one applies the craft as taught or one does not practice the craft.
Pete McBreen argues in his book “Software Craftsmanship” that craft is a better metaphor for software development than is engineering or science.
Is it something akin to this, that you mean? Or do you intend a different meaning?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 18th, 2022, 12:04 pm
stevie wrote: March 18th, 2022, 9:35 am Science is a craft I have been taught. So I can't see what there is to be discussed about a craft. Either one applies the craft as taught or one does not practice the craft.
Pete McBreen argues in his book “Software Craftsmanship” that craft is a better metaphor for software development than is engineering or science.
Is it something akin to this, that you mean? Or do you intend a different meaning?
The thread is yours then. I will inform anyone else writing to me that they should be talking to you instead. Good bye.
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

ernestm wrote: March 18th, 2022, 12:08 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: March 18th, 2022, 12:04 pm
The thread is yours then. I will inform anyone else writing to me that they should be talking to you instead. Good bye.
Oh. By the way, in philosophy, rather than software engineering, the concept of science as a craft was first written about by Plato, of course, this being a philosophy forum and that being one of the first things philosophers are taught, I shouldn't actually need to say that, but it seemed that maybe I should anyway.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

ernestm wrote: March 18th, 2022, 12:08 pm The thread is yours then. I will inform anyone else writing to me that they should be talking to you instead. Good bye.
Whatever offence I have offered, I withdraw. I did not intend any sort of offence, and I am baffled as to what I have done wrong. 😐 I have no idea why you have responded as you have.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 18th, 2022, 12:34 pm
ernestm wrote: March 18th, 2022, 12:08 pm The thread is yours then. I will inform anyone else writing to me that they should be talking to you instead. Good bye.
Whatever offence I have offered, I withdraw. I did not intend any sort of offence, and I am baffled as to what I have done wrong. 😐 I have no idea why you have responded as you have.
No please feel free to argue with Stevie. I am not Socratic by nature, so it's not really something I can do. Argue, that is. Seems pointless to me.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Not all Scientists are Physicalists, but still most of them are.

Science has done a lot more than rename the Deities as Forces. What equations did the ancient Greeks use to understand the Deities?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

All science is based on axioms of all sorts, depending on the branch of science we choose to look at. This 👆 is one of them, I think. It is only those who do not understand science, and how it works, who refer to 'proof', 'truth' and certainty. Those who are wiser know that science offers our best attempt at reliable and repeatable descriptions of reality, with some predictive power. But not 'proof', etc.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Atla

Post by Atla »

It's quite possible that reality is logical, just too complex or infinitely complex. Poor little humans may only get better and better at their approximations. There are scientists who are aware of this possibility, of course. Still may beat the other "religions". :)
True philosophy points to the Moon

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream