How useful is "common sense" Epistemology?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: How useful is "common sense" Epistemology?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

stevie wrote: June 24th, 2022, 3:04 pm I have no difficulties with "common sense" since "I am inclined to skip even that" term. "Being inclined" to skip "common sense" due to the meaning of "common sense" being non-evident should be understood actually that I skip it here in this thread but I would not necessarily refrain from using it in everyday life if someone else makes use of this term.

But referring to your response the basic issue seems to be that you have issues with me saying "it isn't evident what "common sense" means". But this can be resolved easily if you can present a definition of "common sense" that obviously will be agreed to by every individual that uses, has used or will use the term "common sense".
I take your points. But they are theoretical, academic points. They are no less true for that, of course, but they are less than useful or practical. It seems to me that either you must accept the practical compromises we make with language, as we have nothing better, or you must stick to your principles, and cease posting, or indulging in any non-trivial communication with other humans.

Yes, language is an imperfect communications tool. It is IMO impossible to remedy the problem(s) you refer to. Most words have several meanings in the dictionary; ambiguity is intrinsic to, and embedded in, our language, in that sense. For most meaningful concepts, there are no words or phrases that define and describe them completely and accurately. And yet, we manage with what we have, even though there are misunderstandings everywhere.

So will you accept the 'universal' compromise of using our imprecise language, or...?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
stevie

Post by stevie »

Pattern-chaser wrote: June 25th, 2022, 9:54 am
stevie wrote: June 24th, 2022, 3:04 pm I have no difficulties with "common sense" since "I am inclined to skip even that" term. "Being inclined" to skip "common sense" due to the meaning of "common sense" being non-evident should be understood actually that I skip it here in this thread but I would not necessarily refrain from using it in everyday life if someone else makes use of this term.

But referring to your response the basic issue seems to be that you have issues with me saying "it isn't evident what "common sense" means". But this can be resolved easily if you can present a definition of "common sense" that obviously will be agreed to by every individual that uses, has used or will use the term "common sense".
I take your points. But they are theoretical, academic points. They are no less true for that, of course, but they are less than useful or practical.
Expressing what appears to me in a given moment and context I find useful and practical.
Pattern-chaser wrote: June 25th, 2022, 9:54 am It seems to me that either you must accept the practical compromises we make with language, as we have nothing better, or you must stick to your principles, and cease posting, or indulging in any non-trivial communication with other humans.
Don't know whether I have principles. What I have written has a clear context in which it was written. I think I have clearly expressed that. You must not exaggerate what I have written beyond the specific context in this thread.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

In the Socratic school it is “common” to say: “They don’t know anything” The question is: “Who is they” They is Socrates who said: “I don’t know anything” but in using thoughtful dialogue and the method known as the elenctic method or an elimination based in logic he arrived at some truth and therefore to a relation with knowledge. But he kept saying he knew nothing. The question raised by Epistemology was: How do we know truth if we only have access to appearances? The practical non metaphysical correlation with well-being might serve as a definition of common sense or as just one possible definition: common sense is the practical correlation with well-being.
So, in testing the common sense Epistemology we could access appearances of the Ukrainian war and media. I can start with: “Russian troops with heavy artillery formed a caravan of many miles to the Ukrainian capital” “Some of the troops did not know they were invading Ukraine” “Ukrainian troops pick the convoy apart and pushed the Russians back” “The Russians were untrained and easily destroyed” “Putin miscalculated and underestimated Ukraine” This is the world of appearances aided by well-wishers. Common sense method assigns a different correlation: Putin did not underestimate anything. The first wave is the first wave and, casualties are as high as 90%. The enemy runs out of ammo and the war machinery breaks down. Russia has a superior war machine. Most of all, if common sense, there is a reason for an invasion that by the common sense Epistemology definition cannot be metaphysical but necessary in the great scheme of well-being.
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

The Beast wrote: June 26th, 2022, 11:58 am In the Socratic school it is “common” to say: “They don’t know anything” The question is: “Who is they” They is Socrates who said: “I don’t know anything” but in using thoughtful dialogue and the method known as the elenctic method or an elimination based in logic he arrived at some truth and therefore to a relation with knowledge. But he kept saying he knew nothing. The question raised by Epistemology was: How do we know truth if we only have access to appearances? The practical non metaphysical correlation with well-being might serve as a definition of common sense or as just one possible definition: common sense is the practical correlation with well-being.
So, in testing the common sense Epistemology we could access appearances of the Ukrainian war and media. I can start with: “Russian troops with heavy artillery formed a caravan of many miles to the Ukrainian capital” “Some of the troops did not know they were invading Ukraine” “Ukrainian troops pick the convoy apart and pushed the Russians back” “The Russians were untrained and easily destroyed” “Putin miscalculated and underestimated Ukraine” This is the world of appearances aided by well-wishers. Common sense method assigns a different correlation: Putin did not underestimate anything. The first wave is the first wave and, casualties are as high as 90%. The enemy runs out of ammo and the war machinery breaks down. Russia has a superior war machine. Most of all, if common sense, there is a reason for an invasion that by the common sense Epistemology definition cannot be metaphysical but necessary in the great scheme of well-being.
TB!

Thank you for those thoughts. one could challenge your analogical premise of the Putin example by arguing the opposite. Meaning, you said there is common sense relating to his 'underestimation' of the invasion and so forth. What would be common to that notion of one's common sense understanding of themselves?

As apposed to extreme physicalism or materialism, one could easily make a case for an extreme sense meta-physicalism. Since one's Will to invade a particular country is emotive in nature and arises from one's (metaphysical) need for purpose; striving, wanting, and so on, the conscious thinking subject who requires a (common) sense of self esteem or self-importance (ego) cannot be reduced exclusively to neurons, atoms and molecules.

An easy way to parse that notion of common sense epistemology as it were, would be to consider the logically necessary subject-object dynamic. So unless I've misunderstood, the reason for the invasion would be considered metaphysical "in the great scheme of well-being".

Perhaps back to the OP question:

7. Does having a 'gut feeling' about something correspond to the Will and its ability to cause people to behave the way that they do?

Answer seems to be Putin's Will caused him to act. Is his common sense understanding of his Will (his needs) a purely physical feature of conscious existence?

Anyway, interesting take on the idea of epistemic awareness...
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

It is interesting that you hold not a practical reason/common sense but a metaphysical reason for the invasion of Ukraine. There is no practical reason in underestimating if anything in war practical would be overestimating. My understanding of practical is an overall system/method of evaluating the enemy hence the term Epistemology. What else than evaluating loses vs practical potential gains. On the other hand, you could say that the reason is metaphysical and therefore, the method of common sense Epistemology does not apply. So, if dynamic ever correlates with practical then I might see the point in the future maybe as a dynamic metaphysical idea of practical/common sense.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

3017Metaphysician wrote: June 27th, 2022, 1:57 pm
The Beast wrote: June 26th, 2022, 11:58 am In the Socratic school it is “common” to say: “They don’t know anything” The question is: “Who is they” They is Socrates who said: “I don’t know anything” but in using thoughtful dialogue and the method known as the elenctic method or an elimination based in logic he arrived at some truth and therefore to a relation with knowledge. But he kept saying he knew nothing. The question raised by Epistemology was: How do we know truth if we only have access to appearances? The practical non metaphysical correlation with well-being might serve as a definition of common sense or as just one possible definition: common sense is the practical correlation with well-being.
TB!

Thank you for those thoughts. one could challenge your analogical premise of the Putin example by arguing the opposite. Meaning, you said there is common sense relating to his 'underestimation' of the invasion and so forth. What would be common to that notion of one's common sense understanding of themselves?

As apposed to extreme physicalism or materialism, one could easily make a case for an extreme sense meta-physicalism. Since one's Will to invade a particular country is emotive in nature and arises from one's (metaphysical) need for purpose; striving, wanting, and so on, the conscious thinking subject who requires a (common) sense of self esteem or self-importance (ego) cannot be reduced exclusively to neurons, atoms and molecules.

An easy way to parse that notion of common sense epistemology as it were, would be to consider the logically necessary subject-object dynamic. So unless I've misunderstood, the reason for the invasion would be considered metaphysical "in the great scheme of well-being".

7. Does having a 'gut feeling' about something correspond to the Will and its ability to cause people to behave the way that they do?

Answer seems to be Putin's Will caused him to act. Is his common sense understanding of his Will (his needs) a purely physical feature of conscious existence?

What you say is a “gut feeling” is the omnipresence of truth filtering into the personal space with the feeling of certainty. Of course, this allows for a mental mode much like the one of a Prophet (the messenger) to speak words and dreams that are left to the council of elders to interpret. For most of humans, certainty just happens with no control when. Although, certain rituals and methods had been implemented as to the how. It could also be that he likes his/her position as the Prophet.
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

The Beast wrote: June 27th, 2022, 4:02 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: June 27th, 2022, 1:57 pm
TB!

What you say is a “gut feeling” is the omnipresence of truth filtering into the personal space with the feeling of certainty. Of course, this allows for a mental mode much like the one of a Prophet (the messenger) to speak words and dreams that are left to the council of elders to interpret. For most of humans, certainty just happens with no control when. Although, certain rituals and methods had been implemented as to the how. It could also be that he likes his/her position as the Prophet.
TB!

Perhaps in that case, we have a subject whose well-being is satiated by inflicting harm, death, destruction and the like, to effect its ego. For some, an interminable proposition of sorts. It seems as though one's Maslonian ordinary life of striving is to effect its ego in the foregoing deleterious ways, while its 'gut feeling' somehow enables it to do so. In Putin's case, a twisted sense of "truth" and purpose.

Be it the Golden Rule, or Kant's Imperative not to treat others simply as means to and end, 'common sense' self-awareness (epistemology) tells an emotionally stable or healthy person would normally treat others as one wants to be treated. Of course, moral epistemology often requires a cause and effect thought process from childhood on, which can nevertheless still result in some level of dysfunction considering the finitude in man.

Existentially, man can easily project its own level of dysfunction onto others in many ways. Similarly, things like power and greed are tempting addictions. All of this too, is nothing new under the sun.
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

My issue with process and terminology has nothing to do with the factual compendium. One possible subjective explanation is madness. Here, we could separate madness as a way of life, episodic madness, or a metaphorical descend to madness. Power and Madness in the usual combination. Historically, Caligula suffered from poisoning that changed his status. Many said it was the poison the cause of his madness. Yes… A categorical anarchy to use Kantian terminology. “blind intuitions” or “dynamical principles” “ or that the blind intuition are the source of the rogue objects conceptualizing reality.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream