Must the Universe contain consciousness?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
3017Metaphysician

Re: Must the Universe contain consciousness?

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Gertie wrote: June 29th, 2022, 6:31 pm meta
Gertie! You are very well spoken, thanks for your reply.

With respect to apprehending or perceiving reality both subjectively and objectively (something independent of us), Kant taught us that we have a fixed sense of awareness as well as a dynamic sense of awareness ( a priori and a posteriori). Schop is also saying that much like Kant's theory of a priori knowledge (the brain's stuff as a predetermined software operating system/metaphorical rose colored glasses we can't remove), the Will itself, is also fixed to instinctively give us our sense of wonder about things like causes and effects. For example, 'all events must have a cause' emerges for our consciousness primarily a priori as an aspect of intuition. That's pretty 'normal' to assume or feel that. We don't know why we assume or feel that, we just do. But we do know enough about cognitive science to tell us it's coming from our will; our metaphysical will (qualities of consciousness) that are those fixed lenses from which we see reality, and feel reality (our subjectivity).
Not sure how you're defining ''will'' here?

We do have a functional explanation for the way we experience the world - evolution. This is utility based. If we go back to the table example, we didn't need to evolve to see if a table is mainly space, what we need to know in terms of utility is we injur ourselves if we try to walk through it, and we can rest a mug on it. We also initially come to understand cause and effect via our attuned-for-utility mental toolkit, as how the world seems to work, because that's how it looks to us. We don't need to see wave functions collapsing according to probability, we just need predictability to navigate the world. (Anil Seth describes consciousness in terms of making the world predictable to us - that's only part of it imo, but functionally an important part).

What we we don't understand is the relationship between the evolved brain's physical processes and the correlated phenomenal experience.

Davies, at least, briefly touches on that very import feature of consciousness (quality/Qualia), which is part of the difficulty associated with not only biological emergence (emergent properties), but with extreme or exclusive physicalism too. Neurons, atoms and molecules don't tell us about quality. He knows this. I give him credit there.

Yes I agree. Conscious experience is the source/embodiment of all meaning, value, knowledge, morality - everything that matters. Not just an inconvenient anomaly for physics.

Nonetheless, with respect to parsing 'emergence' itself, I agree, Davies can equivocate at times and I've followed him throughout the years (and refer to his book The Mind of God often), as he has admittingly changed some of his views. I suppose that's okay for a theoretical physicist to do... . But, I agree with him that a mind dependent universe only makes sense in a quantum physics world of logically necessary observers/observation. And Philosophically, that leads us back to the subject-object dynamic.
It's difficult tho. We don't have a settled understanding of the ''observer effect'' yet, and we would still have the conundrum of there being something to observe/measure existing before it can be fixed via observation. If we take the history of our planet, the evidence shows sequential changes following physical laws prior to observers coming on the scene. Why would a planet come into existence with the arrival of observers with a backstory which accounts for the existence of the observers? And even if I think about my tomato plants, they grow when I'm not looking. The evidence points to observers emerging from non-experiential stuff of the universe, which like my tomato plants and waves on the seashore, would continue if all experiencing subjects disappeared tomorrow. That's not the sort of world we'd expect if it was observer dependent.

The chicken/egg conundrum might infer panpsychism, or that QM hasn't gotten to the bottom of things. I just don't think we understand enough to make a call yet.

All that said, let's take a quick look at the concept of emergence, since this term gets thrown around quite a bit (he throws it around a lot too). As such, I think too, we should unpack that.

Emergence/self organization: The process of coming into view or becoming exposed after being concealed:the escape of an insect or other invertebrate from an egg, cocoon, or pupal case: the process of coming into being, or of becoming important or prominent:

n philosophy, systems theory, science, and art, emergence occurs when an entity is observed to have properties its parts do not have on their own, properties or behaviors which emerge only when the parts interact in a wider whole.

Emergence plays a central role in theories of integrative levels and of complex systems. For instance, the phenomenon of life as studied in biology is an emergent property of chemistry.

In philosophy, theories that emphasize emergent properties have been called emergentism.[1]

Without going too far into the weeds for now, I think of emergence in a few ways. Birds swarming automatically during migration season; patterns and laws governing an ordered universe, biological propagation/coded genetics/atoms and molecules, etc..

One might ask, how did the Will emerge as a fixed sense of subjective awareness, or an objective/independent 'consciousness' that breaths fire into the cosmological equations? Before we go further, as it relates to Davie's use of the word emergence, do you think that is the proper question to ask?

I still don't know what you actually mean by ''will''? Can you be explicit?

Re emergence. We know that in the physical world novel properties emerge from complex systems. And they are ontologically reducible to their component parts. I like the example of ice, water and gas having emergent properties of H2O molecules in motion. There's nothing mysterious in principle about emergence in physical systems.

The problem re experience is that we've no idea how the radically different (non-physical) properties of experience could emerge from complex brain interactions. Not even in principle. So in philosophy of mind the explanation of 'emergence' is really a place-holder for an actual explanation, and one which suggests our current understanding of physics is at best incomplete. Searle tries to dodge the ontological reducibility issue by saying experience can be causally reducible brain processes without being ontologically reducible - but that's a different type of reducibility to all the physical examples of emergence we understand, and would be indistinguishable from magic.
Gertie!

Sure, I agree. In like manner, we don't need those things, including the intellectual capacity for understanding an ordered universe (to survive in the jungle). Much like the abstract laws of gravity within universe, they are not necessary to evade falling objects. There is little to no biological survival value in knowing that abstract mathematical order.

And of course, those similar abstract structures of cognition that process information speaks to our quandary about what, when, how, why, consciousness itself can emerge from the universe/inert matter... .

With respect to your question about the will, I'm defining 'Will' as the metaphysical thing that causes human self-awareness. The thing-in-itself—the inner essence of 'everything'—as will: a blind, unconscious, aimless striving devoid of knowledge, outside of space and time, much like Schopenhauer's view.

Relative to consciousness and cognition (ontology), Will can include sentient things like the feelings of wanting, urging, needing, and even feelings of purpose or self-esteem. Those things-in-themselves are relative to one's quality of consciousness otherwise known as Qualia (as physicist Paul Davies pointed out). And, they can't really be quantified, physically. Similarly, and philosophically, in a cosmological way for some reason I believe that metaphysical will is the thing-in-itself that breath's fire into the 'Hawking equations'. Perhaps because I'm treating like cases likely (metaphysical language of math and metaphysical language of cognition). Other than that premise being somewhat synthetic, unfortunately we don't have any empirical method to test the veracity of that kind of judgement. If you wish to refer to 'The World as Will', that would shed a bit more light on that philosophy. But again, more of a philosophy than anything else. Unfortunately, physical science doesn't seem to have a clue.

A reasonable person considers treating like cases likely and different cases differently. I think biology, physics and metaphysics (the first principle of
Being), should somehow uncover what breath's fire into the Hawking equations. As we speak, even Darwinism is now under attack, not only because it excludes 'the first one', but there are gaps in mutations that 'just appear' for no apparent reason. Much like the Multiverse, the information age is generating a re-thinking on many levels of science and humanities: https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... -evolution

Anyway, you asked: "Why would a planet come into existence with the arrival of observers with a backstory which accounts for the existence of the observers? And even if I think about my tomato plants, they grow when I'm not looking."

My answer is, aside from the analogical notion of QM and non-locality, genetically coded propagation has been our conundrum. As such, my answer is: a planet could come into existence in the same manner that the tomato seeds promulgated the tomato plant. That seed has all of the coding necessary for its existence. Unfortunately, logical necessity does not speak the nature of existing things (metaphysics). My question back at you, could be: why is that 'seed' of consciousness existence so illusive? Could it be because it's not 'exclusively physical' in some ways?

With respect to Searle (you mentioned), What I have read from him is just 'okay', nothing really revelatory. He did talk about metaphysics and the definition of 'intentionality', and how I might interpret that as being analogous to the metaphysical Will. But of course we are talking about both cosmology as well as ontology... . To this end, does the Anthropic Principle give us any clues?
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
3017Metaphysician

UniversalAlien wrote: June 28th, 2022, 4:22 am "WHY IS SCIENCE GROWING COMFORTABLE WITH PANPSYCHISM (“EVERYTHING IS CONSCIOUS”)?"
A recent article at New Scientist treats panpsychism as a serious idea in science. That’s thanks to the growing popularity of neuroscientist Giulio Tononi’s Integrated Information Theory (IIT):

The question of how matter gives rise to felt experience is one of the most vexing problems we know of. And sure enough, the first fleshed-out mathematical model of consciousness has generated huge debate about whether it can tell us anything sensible. But as mathematicians work to hone and extend their tools for peering deep inside ourselves, they are confronting some eye-popping conclusions.

Not least, what they are uncovering seems to suggest that if we are to achieve a precise description of consciousness, we may have to ditch our intuitions and accept that all kinds of inanimate matter could be conscious – maybe even the universe as a whole. “This could be the beginning of a scientific revolution,” says Johannes Kleiner, a mathematician at the Munich Centre for Mathematical Philosophy in Germany.

MICHAEL BROOKS, “IS THE UNIVERSE CONSCIOUS? IT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE UNTIL YOU DO THE MATHS” AT NEW SCIENTIST
But it’s not just New Scientist. In recent years, Scientific American has been sympathetic to panpsychism as well. Earlier this year, Gareth Cook interviewed panpsychist philosopher Philip Goff (right), author of Galileo’s Error: Foundations for a New Science of Consciousness, at SciAm in a respectful way, as if he really wanted to know what Goff thought and why (January 14, 2020).

Similarly, in 2018, SciAm offered space to Bernardo Kastrup, Adam Crabtree, and Edward F. Kelly to argue that “the condition now known as “dissociative identity disorder” (DID) might help us understand the fundamental nature of reality. Their thesis is that the universe itself is conscious and individual consciousnesses are dissociated fragments:

We know empirically from DID that consciousness can give rise to many operationally distinct centers of concurrent experience, each with its own personality and sense of identity. Therefore, if something analogous to DID happens at a universal level, the one universal consciousness could, as a result, give rise to many alters with private inner lives like yours and ours. As such, we may all be alters—dissociated personalities—of universal consciousness..............
One attraction of panpsychism in general is that, if the conundrum of consciousness is resolved by ascribing consciousness to everything, the mystery is subsumed into the question of “Why is there something rather than nothing?”, originally asked by calculus pioneer Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz (1646–1716). If to exist is to be conscious to some degree, the two questions can’t easily be disentangled. And Leibniz’s question is treated as a valid one in science.

If IIT continues to gain a sympathetic hearing, panpsychism could become, over time, a part of normal science.
Quotes source:
https://mindmatters.ai/2020/05/why-is-s ... conscious/

But then again a long time ago Max Planck already said:
“I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.”
― Max Planck
Max Karl Ernst Ludwig Planck was a German theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, which won him the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1918.

I think panpsychism might be related to the meta-physical Will both from a top/down and bottom/up perspective. Meaning, like biology/life forms and cosmology/mathematics, it's still just an abstract way of processing (genetically coded or otherwise) information. Afterall, as an aside, in physics, what the heck is up with quantum tunneling and the Higgs/Boson God particle? Meta-physically no less mysterious, I wonder?

Anyway, for fun, here's a little model :

Initial Conditions--->Laws of Physics--->Organized Complexity

The universe starts out in some relatively simple and featureless initial state, which is then processed by the laws of physics to produce an output state which is rich in organized complexity. This is a symbolic representation of the cosmic evolution.

Matter--->Laws of Physics---> Mind

The evolution of matter from simplicity to complexity represented from the foregoing includes the production of conscious organisms from initially inanimate matter.

Primates--->Value Systems--->Humans

Self awareness is somehow produced by a value system that includes many intellectual concepts of sentient phenomena. Intention, will, beauty, ingenuity, mathematics, music, love, the color red, etc., and other metaphysically abstract structures/concepts are part of this value system.

How can genetic accidents and random mutations explain such abstract complexity from the emergence of conscious Beings?

Some Structuralist's believe: The belief that phenomena of human life are not intelligible except through their interrelations. These relations constitute a structure, and behind local variations in the surface phenomena there are constant laws of abstract structure. Things like mathematical models, Qualia, Music, the Will, and other qualities of consciousness also seem abstract and meta-physical, no?

Alternatively, should we be focusing more on Biology rather than physics, I wonder?
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
3017Metaphysician

Love the quote:

"Indeed, Kastrup argues, consciousness cannot have evolved (in the sense that a dinosaur might evolve into a bird).

Consciousness could be more like a fact of nature of the sort that doesn’t evolve, in the sense that oxygen and photons don’t evolve."
― Albert Einstein
Sunday66

Post by Sunday66 »

Gertie wrote: June 27th, 2022, 3:54 pm
We believe there was a time before experiencing subjects like humans existed in the world, and it was the pre-existing conditions which gave rise to conscious life, apparently happenstantially. There is more to be discovered, but on the face of it there's more evidence to suggest subjects wouldn't exist without the world than the other way round.
3017Metaphysician

Sunday66 wrote: July 3rd, 2022, 8:59 pm
Gertie wrote: June 27th, 2022, 3:54 pm
We believe there was a time before experiencing subjects like humans existed in the world, and it was the pre-existing conditions which gave rise to conscious life, apparently happenstantially. There is more to be discovered, but on the face of it there's more evidence to suggest subjects wouldn't exist without the world than the other way round.
Sunday!

What were those ", pre-existing conditions" that caused conscious existence?
― Albert Einstein
Sunday66

Post by Sunday66 »

Sunday!

[/quote]

There are none. I think human consciousness is just an aspect of the intelligence of the universe.
3017Metaphysician

Sunday66 wrote: July 4th, 2022, 12:37 am Sunday!

There are none. I think human consciousness is just an aspect of the intelligence of the universe.
[/quote]

Hello Sunday, happy 4th!

Thanks for your reply. With respect to your first confirmation of" pre-existing... ", are you thinking that there were no real first cause(s,), but rather, a kind of logical necessity that exists?

I asked that for many reasons, but mainly because you seem to be saying things 'just are' because the universe has a logical order of some kind; an "intelligence" as you say, that causes consciousness to emerge.

Or perhaps you're thinking of panpsychism... ?
― Albert Einstein
Sunday66

Post by Sunday66 »

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 4th, 2022, 10:19 am

Hello Sunday, happy 4th!

Thanks for your reply. With respect to your first confirmation of" pre-existing... ", are you thinking that there were no real first cause(s,), but rather, a kind of logical necessity that exists?

I asked that for many reasons, but mainly because you seem to be saying things 'just are' because the universe has a logical order of some kind; an "intelligence" as you say, that causes consciousness to emerge.

[/quote]

Consciousness did not emerge. I subscribe to panpsychism.
3017Metaphysician

Sunday66 wrote: July 4th, 2022, 12:49 pm

Hello Sunday, happy 4th!

[/quote]

Sunday!

Sure. No exceptions taken, since that's no less strange than things like quantum superimposition's, which in turn implies a participatory universe that includes one's own phenomenology of the Will.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panpsychism

Of course, I think we're still left with the ultimate question of causation, as in what caused such phenomena to begin with... .
― Albert Einstein
Sunday66

Post by Sunday66 »

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 4th, 2022, 2:01 pm

Hello Sunday, happy 4th!

Sunday!

Sure. No exceptions taken, since that's no less strange than things like quantum superimposition's, which in turn implies a participatory universe that includes one's own phenomenology of the Will.

Of course, I think we're still left with the ultimate question of causation, as in what caused such phenomena to begin with... .
[/quote]

Then there is no cause.
3017Metaphysician

Sunday66 wrote: July 4th, 2022, 2:06 pm

Hello Sunday, happy 4th!

Sunday!

Then there is no cause.
[/quote]

Whatever begins to exist has a cause of its existence.
The universe began to exist.
Therefore, the universe has a cause of its existence.
― Albert Einstein
Sunday66

Post by Sunday66 »

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 4th, 2022, 2:13 pm

Hello Sunday, happy 4th!

Sunday!

Then there is no cause.

[/quote]

There is no evidence that the universe began to exist.
3017Metaphysician

Sunday66 wrote: July 4th, 2022, 2:15 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: July 4th, 2022, 2:13 pm

Sunday!

Then there is no cause.

There is no evidence that the universe began to exist.
[/quote]

...even if the Universe has always existed, it still owes its existence to an uncaused cause.

Otherwise, how does one falsify the BB, I wonder?
― Albert Einstein
Atla

Post by Atla »

Sunday66 wrote: July 4th, 2022, 12:37 am I think human consciousness is just an aspect of the intelligence of the universe.
What is the intelligence of the universe?
True philosophy points to the Moon
Sunday66

Post by Sunday66 »

Atla wrote: July 4th, 2022, 2:22 pm
Sunday66 wrote: July 4th, 2022, 12:37 am I think human consciousness is just an aspect of the intelligence of the universe.
What is the intelligence of the universe?
Evolution. We can see from Big Bang to our time an intelligent process (even if random) of galaxies being formed and other systems.
Human consciousness is a function of that intelligent system.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream