What is the Importance of Objectivity, Subjectivity and Intersubjectivity in Understanding?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
JackDaydream

What is the Importance of Objectivity, Subjectivity and Intersubjectivity in Understanding?

Post by JackDaydream »

In thinking about experience and knowledge the three aspects come into play:
'Whereas an objective statement depends for its truth on the mental states of no one, a subjective statement depends for its truth on the mental states of someone, an intersubjective statement depends for its truth on the mental states of multiple people' (https://conceptually. org> concepts).

The concepts are a basis for reflection and analysis of human understanding. There is an interplay of these categories and each may be held as being more valuable by different people and at specific times. Objective truth may a goal, while the subjective cannot be avoided because it is the starting point of all experiences. As human beings we compare and contrast our own with other people's knowledge and meanings.

Objectivity, subjectivity and intersubjectivity are categories for approaching and understanding knowledge, as well as aesthetics and ethics. How do you view the relative significance of each in your own philosophy quest?
JackDaydream

Re: What is the Importance of Objectivity, Subjectivity and Intersubjectivity in Understanding?

Post by JackDaydream »

Sorry, I am trying to upload the link in my outpost above because it doesn't connect presently:
https://conceptually. org > concepts
stevie

Re: What is the Importance of Objectivity, Subjectivity and Intersubjectivity in Understanding?

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: October 11th, 2022, 5:24 am Objectivity, subjectivity and intersubjectivity are categories for approaching and understanding knowledge, as well as aesthetics and ethics. How do you view the relative significance of each in your own philosophy quest?
"Objectivity, subjectivity and intersubjectivity" are conceptual appearances of conditioned thinking and thinking is a natural capacity. Whether these appearances are true or real, untrue or unreal, or whether they represent truth or reality, falsehood or illusion isn't evident.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

stevie wrote: October 11th, 2022, 7:37 am
JackDaydream wrote: October 11th, 2022, 5:24 am Objectivity, subjectivity and intersubjectivity are categories for approaching and understanding knowledge, as well as aesthetics and ethics. How do you view the relative significance of each in your own philosophy quest?
"Objectivity, subjectivity and intersubjectivity" are conceptual appearances of conditioned thinking and thinking is a natural capacity. Whether these appearances are true or real, untrue or unreal, or whether they represent truth or reality, falsehood or illusion isn't evident.
Of course, objectivity, subjectivity and intersubjectivity are not truth in themselves, but are modes for examining all ideas. For example, Plato saw the idea of the Forms as objective. Similarly, many see science as being objective, in its empirical validation through evidence based research. Some aspects of experiences, like aesthetic tastes in music and art are usually understood as having a certain amount of subjectivity. The marker of delusions involves awareness of intersubjectivity. For example, if I develop the idea that aliens are living amongst the human population, the ideas and evidence of others' thoughts may lead me to have a rethink. So, I am speaking of the significance of juggling awareness of the ideas of objectivity, subjectivity and intersubjectivity in the evaluation of thinking in all aspects of thinking, ranging from the approach towards science, art, religious experience and all aspects of life, as part of the process of weighing up certainty.
heracleitos

Post by heracleitos »

I am extremely opposed to any reference to the human mind in matters of knowledge.

If a proposition is (justifiable or) provable from its theoretical context then it is true in all its interpretations. In that case, a computing device must be able to verify the (justifiability or) provability of such proposition. No need for a human mind in this process.

If the statement truly is knowledge, i.e. a justified true belief, there is no need for a human to intervene to verify. A computer can do it too.

If on the other hand, a computer cannot verify the (justification or) proof, then the proposition simply does not satisfy the definition for knowledge.

In other words, subjective statements cannot be knowledge, while the justification for objective statements is ultimately always mechanically verifiable.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

heracleitos wrote: October 11th, 2022, 7:57 am
I am extremely opposed to any reference to the human mind in matters of knowledge.

If a proposition is (justifiable or) provable from its theoretical context then it is true in all its interpretations. In that case, a computing device must be able to verify the (justifiability or) provability of such proposition. No need for a human mind in this process.

If the statement truly is knowledge, i.e. a justified true belief, there is no need for a human to intervene to verify. A computer can do it too.

If on the other hand, a computer cannot verify the (justification or) proof, then the proposition simply does not satisfy the definition for knowledge.

In other words, subjective statements cannot be knowledge, while the justification for objective statements is ultimately always mechanically verifiable.
You say that you are 'opposed to any reference to the human mind in matters of knowledge, but that in itself is coming from your mind in its ability to interpret. Knowledge may not make much sense without awareness and that may be the limits of computer knowledge. When I am listening to CDs my phone has the ability to recognize the songs being played, even if they are from an obscure rock or indie band. However, the computer lacks the subjective connection to appreciate and make emotional links. That is dependent on self awareness. The question may be does knowledge have any validity if it is mere abstraction, independent of the experiential aspect of knowing?
stevie

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: October 11th, 2022, 7:55 am
Of course, objectivity, subjectivity and intersubjectivity are not truth in themselves, but are modes for examining all ideas.
Ideas are conceptual appearances, too. How should one conceptual appearance be "a mode for examining" another conceptual appearance? And what should "examining an idea" stand for? An idea appears or does not appear, that's all.
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
heracleitos

Post by heracleitos »

JackDaydream wrote: October 11th, 2022, 8:08 am You say that you are 'opposed to any reference to the human mind in matters of knowledge, but that in itself is coming from your mind in its ability to interpret.
A program can turn expressions in formal language into syntax trees, and evaluate them, i.e. interpret them. There is no need for a human mind to verify a two-tuple (proposition, proof).

If the statement is knowledge, it should be possible to express it in a formal language and mechanically verify it.
JackDaydream wrote: October 11th, 2022, 8:08 am Knowledge may not make much sense without awareness and that may be the limits of computer knowledge.
Computers make decisions all the time. When dealing with objective situations, computers are even preferable. Do you prefer an ATM or a bank teller? I prefer the machine and I somehow suspect that most people do
JackDaydream wrote: October 11th, 2022, 8:08 am When I am listening to CDs my phone has the ability to recognize the songs being played, even if they are from an obscure rock or indie band. However, the computer lacks the subjective connection to appreciate and make emotional links. That is dependent on self awareness.
Music and its beauty are largely subjective even though there is also an objective music theory. Therefore, beauty of music has no justification. Hence, music only makes sense to the human mind.

All fundamentally subjective opinions are human only. There is no room for computer devices in the process of verifying subjective statements. It is not possible, not useful, and almost surely not even desirable.

But then again, a statement without justification is not knowledge anyway.
JackDaydream wrote: October 11th, 2022, 8:08 am The question may be does knowledge have any validity if it is mere abstraction, independent of the experiential aspect of knowing?
Yes, synthetic a priori statements (in Kant's lingo), i.e. pure reason, is not polluted by experience. Modern mathematics is pure reason. Morality can also be organized as pure reason.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

stevie wrote: October 11th, 2022, 8:32 am
Of course, objectivity, subjectivity and intersubjectivity are not truth in themselves, but are modes for examining all ideas.
Ideas are conceptual appearances, too. How should one conceptual appearance be "a mode for examining" another conceptual appearance? And what should "examining an idea" stand for? An idea appears or does not appear, that's all.

Of course, it may be said that ideas are conceptual appearances, but without them how would be? It would be like being absorbed in mental jelly, with no way of climbing out of the goo of undigested thought and becoming submerged and buried. Surely, ideas are the starting point for rational analysis.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

At the moment I am reading in the direction of the phenomenological tradition, which is about intentionality and interpretative experience. However, it does seem that human experiences and consciousness is gradually being dismissed as inferior to machines. Would you rather be a machine than a human being? I have plenty of weaknesses but would prefer to be a human being, because deep down I see it as a source of creativity and insight and, perhaps, even suffering and self criticism has value in the reflective loops of consciousness

I wouldn't wish to read a philosophy book written by a robot, even if it was an extremely clever robot. You mentioned Kant, and a priori reason, which is important However, I am sure that Kant, although recognised as a great philosophers would have been a rather dysfunctional computer. Hiss ideas may have been based on awareness of the struggles of being a human being, as the raw experience of existential dilemmas, including the experience of being embodied, with physiological needs and desires.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JackDaydream wrote: October 11th, 2022, 5:24 am In thinking about experience and knowledge the three aspects come into play:
'Whereas an objective statement depends for its truth on the mental states of no one, a subjective statement depends for its truth on the mental states of someone, an intersubjective statement depends for its truth on the mental states of multiple people' (https://conceptually. org> concepts).

The concepts are a basis for reflection and analysis of human understanding. There is an interplay of these categories and each may be held as being more valuable by different people and at specific times. Objective truth may a goal, while the subjective cannot be avoided because it is the starting point of all experiences. As human beings we compare and contrast our own with other people's knowledge and meanings.

Objectivity, subjectivity and intersubjectivity are categories for approaching and understanding knowledge, as well as aesthetics and ethics. How do you view the relative significance of each in your own philosophy quest?
Objectivity is an impediment to serious, considered, thought. By stating that there are mind-independent truths, it encourages us to believe that such truths might be accessible to human beings, but they are not (in most cases). Opinion is really all we have, although there are things we can do to consider those opinions carefully and logically (where appropriate).
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 12th, 2022, 10:21 am
JackDaydream wrote: October 11th, 2022, 5:24 am In thinking about experience and knowledge the three aspects come into play:

Objectivity is an impediment to serious, considered, thought. By stating that there are mind-independent truths, it encourages us to believe that such truths might be accessible to human beings, but they are not (in most cases). Opinion is really all we have, although there are things we can do to consider those opinions carefully and logically (where appropriate).
The aim of objectivity may be a stumbling block in philosophy because it is so absolute. This goes for those who are demanding spiritual absolutes as well as those who are looking for scientific objectivity. I am inclined to think that beyond subjectivity the most which can be achieved is the intersubjective which is a form of feedback for thinking about the logic of ideas in checking out others' approaches. However, that doesn't mean that consensus is the ultimate factor but a means for critical thinking as opposed to the possibility of drifting into a soliptist approach. Dialogue about ideas may be important.

Gradually, I find that my own thinking is going more in the direction of the phenomenological approach, including the thinking of Husserl and Murleau-Ponty, as well as the ideas of Sartre. So much does come down to the nature of perception and Merlau-Ponty stresses the significance of embodiment as a basis for understanding. However, with phenomenology there is a strong emphasis on the validity of the objective world, even though the basis for that understanding is based on human consciousness itself. People often don't like the idea of most ideas being only opinion and that is probably based on a wish for concrete ideas and truths.
stevie

Post by stevie »

JackDaydream wrote: October 11th, 2022, 4:43 pm

Of course, it may be said that ideas are conceptual appearances, but without them how would be? It would be like being absorbed in mental jelly, with no way of climbing out of the goo of undigested thought and becoming submerged and buried. Surely, ideas are the starting point for rational analysis.
It does not make sense to ask "without them how would be?" because it's simply nature to perceive and to think. Nevertheless percepts and concepts are mere appearances. "rational analysis" is mere conceptual appearance, too.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

stevie wrote: October 13th, 2022, 4:08 am
JackDaydream wrote: October 11th, 2022, 4:43 pm

It does not make sense to ask "without them how would be?" because it's simply nature to perceive and to think. Nevertheless percepts and concepts are mere appearances. "rational analysis" is mere conceptual appearance, too.
Your point is important but what is interesting is that even though concepts are based on appearances they are the shared basis for understanding, based on language. This gives ideas, ranging from simple descriptions like colours to complex ones, like consciousness to be spoken of as a common form of reference. In this way, the intersubjective does lead to some kind of objectivity. Of course, the nature of appearances is more complicated, because it does involve the issue as to whether that is 'reality', as supposed in the philosophy of realism?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 12th, 2022, 10:21 am Objectivity is an impediment to serious, considered, thought. By stating that there are mind-independent truths, it encourages us to believe that such truths might be accessible to human beings, but they are not (in most cases). Opinion is really all we have, although there are things we can do to consider those opinions carefully and logically (where appropriate).
JackDaydream wrote: October 12th, 2022, 1:56 pm The aim of objectivity may be a stumbling block in philosophy because it is so absolute. This goes for those who are demanding spiritual absolutes as well as those who are looking for scientific objectivity. I am inclined to think that beyond subjectivity the most which can be achieved is the intersubjective which is a form of feedback for thinking about the logic of ideas in checking out others' approaches. However, that doesn't mean that consensus is the ultimate factor but a means for critical thinking...
Yes, that's pretty much what I think too.👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream