Current academic stances on materialism

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
3017Metaphysician

Re: Current academic stances on materialism

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Mercury wrote: November 2nd, 2022, 7:59 pm
Mercury wrote: November 2nd, 2022, 3:57 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: November 2nd, 2022, 3:11 pmSure! Evolution implies emergence. Hence, you must demonstrate how the information narrative emerges from that matter narrative. Otherwise, who is, in your words, "throwing together endlessly" the ingredients? Please share your theory if you have one!
Do you imagine matter does not embody information? Have you ever looked at a snowflake? The fractal geometry and symmetry - not dissimilar to crystals, or other atomic structures of matter, is information. Information is a quality of matter. I'll accept a distinction between animate and inanimate; and a need to explain how that occurs, but information and matter are not a dichotomy. Who sold you that pup? Aristotle?
Haven't we moved on from an earth, wind, fire and water conception of matter?

You realise the cake recipe was a metaphor, and I was responding in terms of that metaphor, right? There isn't anyone on a primordial earth stirring the primordial soup. There's just hot, cold, lightning, wind, solar radiation, gravitation, acting on chemical elements over unimaginable amounts of time - until a cake happens. The cake, in this sense being an RNA molecule - chemical elements arranged in such a way they are able to divide lengthwise, attract their chemical oppsitwe from the environment and so reproduce. These then joined together to form DNA, that produces proteins, that form a cell, that then incorporates mitochondria, ingests chemical and solar energy, excretes oxygen as a waste product, poisons its environment and almost dies out, but a few survive, and they reproduce, join together, form multicellular lifeforms - and boom, a billion years later, you!
3017Metaphysician wrote: November 2nd, 2022, 5:44 pmThank you, lot's to unpack, but the obvious problem in your response are threefold.

1. Information attached to physical matter, like snowflakes, doesn't explain the nature of human existence. There is one set of laws that govern physical matter and another set of laws that govern biological life forms. Are you trying to argue that both of them are the same? And who produces physical theories about matter anyway? A mind?

2. Mind is here, material stuff is here. That's all the ingredients you need right,? The metaphor is indeed germane. So give us a formula that tells us what, where, when and how matter came into existence, creates self-organized biological life forms to emerge from matter and most importantly, why there is something and not nothing. Bake the cake now. You know, like a ToE.

3. And with respect to all the relationships between mind and matter, does a human mind require one to posit a theory in the first place? If it does, do physical neurons tell us we need to produce theories about stuff, or do we tell neurons to produce theories about stuff? How do neurons know that we have needs to theorize about stuff? And why don't neurons (trees and all other material objects) talk and have an intellect? Is that a dichotomy? Absurd?

Remember, Materialism attempts to explain all of existence and/or everything in terms of material events.
No, no - the obvious problem is that you cannot explain anything. Your solipsistic subject cannot rely on the senses, or be certain that the objective world exists. You cannot put one foot in front of the other, certain that you will not fall into the abyss with every step. And that's if you really have feet! You don't know! You know you exist; you think, and therefore you exist - but that's it. Everything else can be doubted away.

Relative to you, and for the sake of a very reasonable assumption that what I perceive exists, I can know things - not everything; but not nothing either. That's why I'm here. Not to provide a material explanation of the universe and everything in it; but to defend an epistemological approach to knowledge that is significant to human survival.

Your argument is patently dishonest. If it weren't for science how could you know about neurons, or anything else? You steal fruit from my orchard to pelt me with. You cannot seriously believe your position is valid - because you are not that stupid, so what are you? Why kick science in the balls on a daily basis - when surely you must realise that it's humankind's best hope of a future. I mean, look around at all the sciency stuff that works - not least the computer in front of you. But no; you won't acknowledge science is valid knowledge until science explains everything, and you mean everything plus why! Why not nothing? You cannot be serious.
I don't know what that means, what are you trying to argue? I've read your response several times but am not sure what issue you're addressing out of those three I mentioned. Please share your theory (of everything) if you are able! Remember, the general meaning of Materialism is that it attempts to explain all of existence and/or everything, in terms of 'exclusive' material events.

Maybe try to argue for some variation or sub-category of materialism to make your case... .

Thanks!
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

3017Metaphysician wrote: November 2nd, 2022, 3:11 pmSure! Evolution implies emergence. Hence, you must demonstrate how the information narrative emerges from that matter narrative. Otherwise, who is, in your words, "throwing together endlessly" the ingredients? Please share your theory if you have one!
Do you imagine matter does not embody information? Have you ever looked at a snowflake? The fractal geometry and symmetry - not dissimilar to crystals, or other atomic structures of matter, is information. Information is a quality of matter. I'll accept a distinction between animate and inanimate; and a need to explain how that occurs, but information and matter are not a dichotomy. Who sold you that pup? Aristotle?

You realise the cake recipe was a metaphor, and I was responding in terms of that metaphor, right? There isn't anyone on a primordial earth stirring the primordial soup. There's just hot, cold, lightning, wind, solar radiation, gravitation, acting on chemical elements over unimaginable amounts of time - until a cake happens. The cake, in this sense being an RNA molecule - chemical elements arranged in such a way they are able to divide lengthwise, attract their chemical oppsitwe from the environment and so reproduce. These then joined together to form DNA, that produces proteins, that form a cell, that then incorporates mitochondria, ingests chemical and solar energy, excretes oxygen as a waste product, poisons its environment and almost dies out, but a few survive, and they reproduce, join together, form multicellular lifeforms - and boom, a billion years later, you!
3017Metaphysician wrote: November 2nd, 2022, 5:44 pmThank you, lot's to unpack, but the obvious problem in your response are threefold.

1. Information attached to physical matter, like snowflakes, doesn't explain the nature of human existence. There is one set of laws that govern physical matter and another set of laws that govern biological life forms. Are you trying to argue that both of them are the same? And who produces physical theories about matter anyway? A mind?

2. Mind is here, material stuff is here. That's all the ingredients you need right,? The metaphor is indeed germane. So give us a formula that tells us what, where, when and how matter came into existence, creates self-organized biological life forms to emerge from matter and most importantly, why there is something and not nothing. Bake the cake now. You know, like a ToE.

3. And with respect to all the relationships between mind and matter, does a human mind require one to posit a theory in the first place? If it does, do physical neurons tell us we need to produce theories about stuff, or do we tell neurons to produce theories about stuff? How do neurons know that we have needs to theorize about stuff? And why don't neurons (trees and all other material objects) talk and have an intellect? Is that a dichotomy? Absurd?

Remember, Materialism attempts to explain all of existence and/or everything in terms of material events.
No, no - the obvious problem is that you cannot explain anything. Your solipsistic subject cannot rely on the senses, or be certain that the objective world exists. You cannot put one foot in front of the other, certain that you will not fall into the abyss with every step. And that's if you really have feet! You don't know! You know you exist; you think, and therefore you exist - but that's it. Everything else can be doubted away.

Relative to you, and for the sake of a very reasonable assumption that what I perceive exists, I can know things - not everything; but not nothing either. That's why I'm here. Not to provide a material explanation of the universe and everything in it; but to defend an epistemological approach to knowledge that is significant to human survival.

Your argument is patently dishonest. If it weren't for science how could you know about neurons, or anything else? You steal fruit from my orchard to pelt me with. You cannot seriously believe your position is valid - because you are not that stupid, so what are you? Why kick science in the balls on a daily basis - when surely you must realise that it's humankind's best hope of a future. I mean, look around at all the sciency stuff that works - not least the computer in front of you. But no; you won't acknowledge science is valid knowledge until science explains everything, and you mean everything plus why! Why not nothing? You cannot be serious.
3017Metaphysician wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 7:59 amI don't know what that means, what are you trying to argue? I've read your response several times but am not sure what issue you're addressing out of those three I mentioned. Please share your theory (of everything) if you are able! Remember, the general meaning of Materialism is that it attempts to explain all of existence and/or everything, in terms of 'exclusive' material events.

Maybe try to argue for some variation or sub-category of materialism to make your case... .

Thanks!
None of them. I'm not addressing your three demands because they're insane. That's not materialism, objectivity or science. It's a backhanded defense of subjectivism. You do not impose similar methodological or epistemic barriers to subjectivism. You can imagine a demon is deceiving you and doubt away apparent reality and the evidence of the senses without any requirement to prove any of this.

But if science makes disciplined and modest claims you demand science explain life, the universe and everything - or none of it is true. That's the purpose of materialsm. To make the argument that - if science doesn't explain everything, it doesn't explain anything. It's the mind body problem you see with regard to sensory perception, or it's propositional logical and the semantic structure of language as it relates to reality, that makes meaning just impossible! Oh really?

I want to know why you are making these dishonest arguments. I do not believe you believe them - and yet you spend inordinate amounts of energy on them. Why?

Do you accept that since Galileo's trial for heresy, that Westerm philosophy has lent heavily into Cartesian subjectivism - and the consequence of this is to deny science the authority it rightfully owns as truth? Do you know that, and understand that without regard for science, we have applied all the wrong technologies for the wrong reasons - and are barelling toward extinction? Government and industry use science for power and profit, but without any responsibility to a scientific understanding of reality because philosophy denies science as truth. Descartes did not have the courage to back Galileo against the Church - and philosophy now does not support scientific epistemology over the radical scepticism of subjectivist quackery.

Are you aware of that, but quack anyway? Or are not aware of it, and have been bamboozled by quacks? I think it's the former. I think it's deliberate. And thus I accuse you of intellectual dishonesty.
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
3017Metaphysician

Mercury wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 11:03 am

3017Metaphysician wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 7:59 amI don't know what that means, what are you trying to argue? I've read your response several times but am not sure what issue you're addressing out of those three I mentioned. Please share your theory (of everything) if you are able! Remember, the general meaning of Materialism is that it attempts to explain all of existence and/or everything, in terms of 'exclusive' material events.

Thanks!
None of them. I'm not addressing your three demands because they're insane. That's not materialism, objectivity or science. It's a backhanded defense of subjectivism. You do not impose similar methodological or epistemic barriers to subjectivism. You can imagine a demon is deceiving you and doubt away apparent reality and the evidence of the senses without any requirement to prove any of this.

But if science makes disciplined and modest claims you demand science explain life, the universe and everything - or none of it is true. That's the purpose of materialsm. To make the argument that - if science doesn't explain everything, it doesn't explain anything. It's the mind body problem you see with regard to sensory perception, or it's propositional logical and the semantic structure of language as it relates to reality, that makes meaning just impossible! Oh really?

I want to know why you are making these dishonest arguments. I do not believe you believe them - and yet you spend inordinate amounts of energy on them. Why?

Do you accept that since Galileo's trial for heresy, that Westerm philosophy has lent heavily into Cartesian subjectivism - and the consequence of this is to deny science the authority it rightfully owns as truth? Do you know that, and understand that without regard for science, we have applied all the wrong technologies for the wrong reasons - and are barelling toward extinction? Government and industry use science for power and profit, but without any responsibility to a scientific understanding of reality because philosophy denies science as truth. Descartes did not have the courage to back Galileo against the Church - and philosophy now does not support scientific epistemology over the radical scepticism of subjectivist quackery.

Are you aware of that, but quack anyway? Or are not aware of it, and have been bamboozled by quacks? I think it's the former. I think it's deliberate. And thus I accuse you of intellectual dishonesty.
Again, not sure why you can't engage in the debate. Those comments are not relevant. Remember, again, Materialism attempts to explain everything in terms of material events. Maybe think about it for a bit, relative to causation, and come back with some cogent arguments? Physical stuff having causative powers, properties, or value, is the issue.
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

3017Metaphysician wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 11:33 am Again, not sure why you can't engage in the debate. Those comments are not relevant. Remember, again, Materialism attempts to explain everything in terms of material events. Maybe think about it for a bit, relative to causation, and come back with some cogent arguments? Physical stuff having causative powers, properties, or value, is the issue.
Do you engage in materialism because you accept a basically material explanation of reality, or because you don't?
3017Metaphysician

Mercury wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 12:36 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 11:33 am Again, not sure why you can't engage in the debate. Those comments are not relevant. Remember, again, Materialism attempts to explain everything in terms of material events. Maybe think about it for a bit, relative to causation, and come back with some cogent arguments? Physical stuff having causative powers, properties, or value, is the issue.
Do you engage in materialism because you accept a basically material explanation of reality, or because you don't?

I accept materialism as a one-sided, incomplete explanation of reality. It's only a half-theory. Think of it like subject-object, or any other opposing feature of existence (hot/cold, happy/sad, conscious/subconscious, mind/body, temporal time/eternal time, rain/sunshine, physical laws/biological laws, physics/metaphysics, ad nauseam) or any situation in which the existence or identity of a thing (or perception of reality) depends on the co-existence of at least two conditions, which are opposite to each other, yet dependent on each other. Or in dialectics, where one always argues from a position of opposite's (yes/no) or opposing truth values (antinomy).

Consider the apperceptions of reality and what that means and its implications. For instance, which makes more sense, subject-object or object-object? With few exceptions, we should not renounce opposite's; only integrate them. Afterall, isn't that what a ToE tries to do?

That'll be 35 cents please :lol:
― Albert Einstein
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

3017Metaphysician wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 1:28 pm I accept materialism as a one-sided, incomplete explanation of reality. It's only a half-theory. Think of it like subject-object, or any other opposing feature of existence (hot/cold, happy/sad, conscious/subconscious, mind/body, temporal time/eternal time, rain/sunshine, physical laws/biological laws, physics/metaphysics, ad nauseam) or any situation in which the existence or identity of a thing (or perception of reality) depends on the co-existence of at least two conditions, which are opposite to each other, yet dependent on each other. Or in dialectics, where one always argues from a position of opposite's (yes/no) or opposing truth values (antinomy).

Consider the apperceptions of reality and what that means and its implications. For instance, which makes more sense, subject-object or object-object? With few exceptions, we should not renounce opposite's; only integrate them. Afterall, isn't that what a ToE tries to do?

So we are back to intellectual dishonesty then, because clearly subjectivism is located so as to deny any validity to material explanation. You most certainly are not addressing subject and object as two sides of the same coin, and you know that's not true. If it were true, you would recognise the limits subjective perception poses upon material explanation - (as science does at the methodological level) but instead you demand materialism explain life, the universe and everything!

"Remember, Materialism attempts to explain all of existence and/or everything in terms of material events."

A material explanation of reality is assumed by science (until proven otherwise) but it's not a reasonable expectation of what science is able to demonstrate. Yet you do not hesitate in demanding that it should, because materialism is a dishonest philosophy, a subjectivist misinterpretation of the underlying assumption in science. Materialism is not the product of those who assume a material explanation, but a subjectivist anti-philosophy designed to pose impossible questions and demonstrate science's inability to answer them.
3017Metaphysician

Mercury wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 2:36 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 1:28 pm I accept materialism as a one-sided, incomplete explanation of reality. It's only a half-theory. Think of it like subject-object, or any other opposing feature of existence (hot/cold, happy/sad, conscious/subconscious, mind/body, temporal time/eternal time, rain/sunshine, physical laws/biological laws, physics/metaphysics, ad nauseam) or any situation in which the existence or identity of a thing (or perception of reality) depends on the co-existence of at least two conditions, which are opposite to each other, yet dependent on each other. Or in dialectics, where one always argues from a position of opposite's (yes/no) or opposing truth values (antinomy).

So we are back to intellectual dishonesty then, because clearly subjectivism is located so as to deny any validity to material explanation. You most certainly are not addressing subject and object as two sides of the same coin, and you know that's not true. If it were true, you would recognise the limits subjective perception poses upon material explanation - (as science does at the methodological level) but instead you demand materialism explain life, the universe and everything!

"Remember, Materialism attempts to explain all of existence and/or everything in terms of material events."

A material explanation of reality is assumed by science (until proven otherwise) but it's not a reasonable expectation of what science is able to demonstrate. Yet you do not hesitate in demanding that it should, because materialism is a dishonest philosophy, a subjectivist misinterpretation of the underlying assumption in science. Materialism is not the product of those who assume a material explanation, but a subjectivist anti-philosophy designed to pose impossible questions and demonstrate science's inability to answer them.
Not following you there. Let's slow it down a bit.

1. Are you saying subject-object is not logically necessary?

2. Why is Subjectivity a philosophical anti-philosophy?

3. What is 'science able to demonstrate' within the context of our discussion?
― Albert Einstein
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

3017Metaphysician wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 3:49 pm Not following you there. Let's slow it down a bit.

1. For what purpose? I've never had to mention it outside contexts in which it is employed to deny the obvious. Want to convince someone black is white, or day is night, or left is up - subjectivism is your friend!

2. Materialism is a subjectivist anti-philosophy; a reductio ad absurdum of the underlying assumption in science.

3. It moves!

3017Metaphysician

Mercury wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 6:55 pm

3017Metaphysician wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 3:49 pm Not following you there. Let's slow it down a bit.

1. For what purpose? I've never had to mention it outside contexts in which it is employed to deny the obvious. Want to convince someone black is white, or day is night, or left is up - subjectivism is your friend!

2. Materialism is a subjectivist anti-philosophy; a reductio ad absurdum of the underlying assumption in science.

3. It moves!

Let me know if you're still interested in a debate!
― Albert Einstein
Mercury

Post by Mercury »

3017Metaphysician wrote: November 4th, 2022, 7:53 am
Goodness me no, we did that. You lost. We're into the autopsy - and the crucial question is are you a liar or an idiot? I'm thinking liar! But you're not making it easy to tell.
3017Metaphysician

Mercury wrote: November 4th, 2022, 12:32 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: November 4th, 2022, 7:53 am
Goodness me no, we did that. You lost. We're into the autopsy - and the crucial question is are you a liar or an idiot? I'm thinking liar! But you're not making it easy to tell.

Let me know when you have an argument to support your case, I'll be happy to re-engage!

:P
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream