PROVE to me that the world is, in fact, real at all.

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
d3r31nz1g3

PROVE to me that the world is, in fact, real at all.

Post by d3r31nz1g3 »

The following probably comes off as something I seriously think or ponder, which I do...

But think of this as a thought experiment in epistemology. The experiment is a classic one: solipsism. Prove to me that the world is even real at all considering the following:

The world is absolutely and incomprehensibly massive. It consists of millions of square miles. There are 8,000,000,000 people in it, which is eight thousand orders of individual millions. In Japan alone, which appears very small and slender on the world map, there are 120 individual groups of a million people.

To top it all off, all persons defecate and literally fart. I get the impression that human farts are existentially mocking me with intelligent intent. As in, the world is somehow fake all around me despite being physically present and absolutely perfectly realistic, and the "farts" seem like a mocking signature that it's all not real to me.

As in, I think "farts" themselves are intelligently "designed" with the intent of mocking me comedically.

Furthermore, scientific reality and the world leads me to believe that my person originates from my mother's womb, where she literally defecated me out of her vagina next to her anus. Despite full awareness of the scientific reality of evolution and reproduction, I am somehow suspicious of that fact alone.

These factors, which may sound immature if you don't catch my intent, lead me to believe I am living in an insane hypnotic false reality.

So, here's the challenge: prove me wrong.

Bare in mind, most immediate forms of evidencing I will consider to be "part of the hypnotic deception, where it's all simply just the farts".
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: PROVE to me that the world is, in fact, real at all.

Post by Sy Borg »

It doesn't matter how objectively "real" that reality is. What matters most to us are relativities.

It's like the free will issues. It's doesn't matter. We feel as though we have free will, and that's what's matters most. How free we may be depends on many things.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

d3r31nz1g3 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 6:28 pm The following probably comes off as something I seriously think or ponder, which I do...

But think of this as a thought experiment in epistemology. The experiment is a classic one: solipsism. Prove to me that the world is even real at all considering the following:

The world is absolutely and incomprehensibly massive. It consists of millions of square miles. There are 8,000,000,000 people in it, which is eight thousand orders of individual millions. In Japan alone, which appears very small and slender on the world map, there are 120 individual groups of a million people.

To top it all off, all persons defecate and literally fart. I get the impression that human farts are existentially mocking me with intelligent intent. As in, the world is somehow fake all around me despite being physically present and absolutely perfectly realistic, and the "farts" seem like a mocking signature that it's all not real to me.

As in, I think "farts" themselves are intelligently "designed" with the intent of mocking me comedically.

Furthermore, scientific reality and the world leads me to believe that my person originates from my mother's womb, where she literally defecated me out of her vagina next to her anus. Despite full awareness of the scientific reality of evolution and reproduction, I am somehow suspicious of that fact alone.

These factors, which may sound immature if you don't catch my intent, lead me to believe I am living in an insane hypnotic false reality.

Bare in mind, most immediate forms of evidencing I will consider to be "part of the hypnotic deception, where it's all simply just the farts".
When one casts doubt on the senses, then there is doubt about perception. If there is doubt about perception, then nothing can be absolutely taken at face value and of course it becomes possible for everything to be false.

Thus there is no "evidence" that can refute that conclusion since the "evidence" can similarly be false.

Basically the best réfutation is: because you're not important enough to "deserve" anyone's expenditure of effort to fake you out.
"As usual... it depends."
d3r31nz1g3

Post by d3r31nz1g3 »

LuckyR wrote: November 20th, 2022, 3:27 am
d3r31nz1g3 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 6:28 pm The following probably comes off as something I seriously think or ponder, which I do...

When one casts doubt on the senses, then there is doubt about perception. If there is doubt about perception, then nothing can be absolutely taken at face value and of course it becomes possible for everything to be false.

Thus there is no "evidence" that can refute that conclusion since the "evidence" can similarly be false.

Basically the best réfutation is: because you're not important enough to "deserve" anyone's expenditure of effort to fake you out.
Yes exactly and that's usually the response I get when I bring this up.

The bizarre thing is the logical problem becomes all the more tangible when you bring up Earth's population, it's surface area, or the absurdity of flatulence.

Even more so when you context it. The notion that one is surrounded by mocking flatulence. That it's simply flatulence and I am being mocked by God somehow.

Point is solipsism is absolutely tangible.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

d3r31nz1g3 wrote: November 20th, 2022, 7:00 am

The bizarre thing is the logical problem becomes all the more tangible when you bring up Earth's population, it's surface area, or the absurdity of flatulence.

Even more so when you context it. The notion that one is surrounded by mocking flatulence. That it's simply flatulence and I am being mocked by God somehow.

The fact that a phenomenon strikes someone unschooled in the cause and origin of it, as this or that is expected yet ultimately meaningless.
d3r31nz1g3

Post by d3r31nz1g3 »

LuckyR wrote: November 20th, 2022, 12:58 pm
d3r31nz1g3 wrote: November 20th, 2022, 7:00 am

The fact that a phenomenon strikes someone unschooled in the cause and origin of it, as this or that is expected yet ultimately meaningless.
It's not really a matter of being unschooled.

It's a matter of "at all times I'm being hypnotically mocked by flatulating naked ninnies".

As in, flatulence is intelligently mocking me at all times.

If flatulence is a mocking signature of hypnosis, where it's reasonably interpreted as such if you're seeing the concept accurately, all is suspect at all times.

It's naturally distracting to talk about something immature like flatulence.

But what if "God" opened the hypnotic clouds of reality and shouted "LET THERE BE FARTS! IT WAS THE FARTS THE WHOLE TIME! HAHAHAHAHA IT WAS A DECEPTION!"
ernestm

Post by ernestm »

Every person who takes philosophy seriously at some point has problems with solipsism, and philosophyforum.com has been taken over by solipsistic anarchists. Its a very nasty ideology and the end result of continued cynicism.

So here is my consolation. As a thinking being, its worth considering that you are not forced into being so skeptical. You have a choice to consider yourself in a defeastist way, or an optimistic way, and somewhere in between there is a balance that makes more sense. At Oxford, they dont tallk about ideas being right or wrong, they talk about ideas 'having merit.' Some do, some don't. Not all beliefs are without merit. Solipsism has little merit.

I didnt realize how helpful that perspective would be to me in my life, so I hope its helpful to you.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

You are assuming that if solipsism were true, the characters in your illusion could prove to you that your assumption is wrong. But if they were able to do that, solipsism could not be true. So, once you made the assumption, you closed the door to any further inquiry.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
d3r31nz1g3

Post by d3r31nz1g3 »

Count Lucanor wrote: November 20th, 2022, 10:53 pm

You are assuming that if solipsism were true, the characters in your illusion could prove to you that your assumption is wrong. But if they were able to do that, solipsism could not be true. So, once you made the assumption, you closed the door to any further inquiry.
Solipsism as in "anything external to me or basic logical principles that are self-evidenced cannot be known certainly".

The point of my topic is poorly expressed, admittedly.

The point is that solipsism is tangible--everybody farts.

What if the farts are mocking me?

In this instance I'm using literal farts to demonstrate that at all times, perhaps it's literally true that farts are mocking me. They're farts, after all.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Your farts are relatively dignified. If you were a cnidarian you would eat, fart and poop out of a single opening.
Moreno

Post by Moreno »

d3r31nz1g3 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 6:28 pm To top it all off, all persons defecate and literally fart. I get the impression that human farts are existentially mocking me with intelligent intent. As in, the world is somehow fake all around me despite being physically present and absolutely perfectly realistic, and the "farts" seem like a mocking signature that it's all not real to me.
I like the idea of clues to a matrix and while I probably wouldn't be triggered into doubt by farts, let's just accept that as objectively odd for the sake of argument.

Here's what strikes me first. If farts 'bother you' in the sense that they seem to be mocking you comedically and you take them as a sign this world is not real, you have some sense of what does seem or is real. Other things do not disturb you like this. Other things would not lead you to question reality. It seems to me this means you think you have experienced the real. That you can distinguish the unlikely from the real. So, I don't really need to convince you that there is a real world, you already believe that, given that you can discern real things from unlikely things. Now, this doesn't prove (to you) that this world with farts in it is real, but it seems to me you believe there is a real world that includes this simulation. And if this is a simulation made by others that are mocking you, then solipsism is not something you believe in.

So, instead of me proving to you via evidence, I am using deduction to show that you do believe there is a real world and there are others who are mocking you. Or this is the real world. Those are the two possible options in your OP. Hence solipsism is not one of your beliefs. I mean, either this world with us farters is real OR someone is mocking you in your simulation. That scenario also has a real world in it and one part of it is the simulation you are in. It's not the real world filled with farters, those exist in a simulation in the real world. One you think you have experienced in some way, or you would have no tools to discern unlikely things mocking you from real things simply existing.
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

Too funny! Aside from considering one's own Freudian preoccupation with anal retentive type behavior, there is Teleology to conscious existence as there is a purpose to farting:

Flatulence, in humans, is the expulsion of gas from the intestines via the anus, commonly referred to as farting. "Flatus" is the medical word for gas generated in the stomach or bowels.[1] A proportion of intestinal gas may be swallowed environmental air, and hence flatus is not entirely generated in the stomach or bowels. The scientific study of this area of medicine is termed flatology.[2]

Flatus is brought to the rectum and pressurized by muscles in the intestines. It is normal to pass flatus ("to fart"), though volume and frequency vary greatly among individuals. It is also normal for intestinal gas to have a feculent or unpleasant odor, which may be intense. The noise commonly associated with flatulence ("blowing a raspberry") is produced by the anus and buttocks, which act together in a manner similar to that of an embouchure. Both the sound and odor are sources of embarrassment, annoyance or amusement (flatulence humor).

People find other peoples' flatus unpleasant, but are unfazed by, and may even enjoy, the scent of their own.[60] While there has been little research carried out upon the subject, some speculative guesses have been made as to why this might be so. For example, one explanation for this phenomenon is that people are very familiar with the scent of their own flatus, and that survival in nature may depend on the detection of and reaction to foreign scents.[61]

Historical comment on the ability to fart at will is observed as early as Saint Augustine's The City of God (5th century A.D.). Augustine mentions men who "have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at will, so as to produce the effect of singing".[56]

In agreeing with St. Augustine, my grandma used to tell my dad: better in the world singing than in your tummy stinging!
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

But think of this as a thought experiment in epistemology. The experiment is a classic one: solipsism. Prove to me that the world is even real at all...
I assume that, by "prove", you refer to a justified and conclusive demonstration of correctness. In that case, there can be no proof of anything at all, except that Objective Reality exists. We know it exists, but can know nothing of its nature, or whatever. N.B. this is absolute stuff, where even 99.999% doesn't count; only 100% will do. 😉

I just love metaphysics, don't you? 🤔🙂👍
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

ernestm wrote: November 20th, 2022, 5:38 pm So here is my consolation. As a thinking being, its worth considering that you are not forced into being so skeptical. You have a choice to consider yourself in a defeatist way, or an optimistic way, and somewhere in between there is a balance that makes more sense. At Oxford, they don't talk about ideas being right or wrong, they talk about ideas 'having merit.' Some do, some don't. Not all beliefs are without merit. Solipsism has little merit.
Oo, I like that response. 👍 I think solipsism has merit, as a lesson in possibility: it cannot be disproved or refuted, and that is its lesson. There are things that we believe to be possible — but we have no idea of probability or likelihood — that could, just maybe, be actually correct. Even things that seem far-fetched remain possible until contradictory evidence is discovered. And, in cases like these, evidence is often thin on the ground. In this particular case, there is no evidence at all, nor can there be, I suspect.

I like the idea of ideas "having merit", or not. Binary truth and falsehood often carry so very little meaning (depending on context, of course!).
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 21st, 2022, 1:37 pm
ernestm wrote: November 20th, 2022, 5:38 pm So here is my consolation. As a thinking being, its worth considering that you are not forced into being so skeptical. You have a choice to consider yourself in a defeatist way, or an optimistic way, and somewhere in between there is a balance that makes more sense. At Oxford, they don't talk about ideas being right or wrong, they talk about ideas 'having merit.' Some do, some don't. Not all beliefs are without merit. Solipsism has little merit.
Oo, I like that response. 👍 I think solipsism has merit, as a lesson in possibility: it cannot be disproved or refuted, and that is its lesson. There are things that we believe to be possible — but we have no idea of probability or likelihood — that could, just maybe, be actually correct. Even things that seem far-fetched remain possible until contradictory evidence is discovered. And, in cases like these, evidence is often thin on the ground. In this particular case, there is no evidence at all, nor can there be, I suspect.

I like the idea of ideas "having merit", or not. Binary truth and falsehood often carry so very little meaning (depending on context, of course!).
All true, but then again most of what everyone addresses on a day-to-day basis is not absolutely provable. We deal with probabilities routinely just fine. Therefore only a small minority of of "decisions" are on proven answer topics. In fact if you think about it, if the answer is provably true to a question, where's the "decision" to be made? True decisions are when you're choosing between options, not when there is one proven right answer and an infinite number of wrong (or suboptimal) answers.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream