PROVE to me that the world is, in fact, real at all.

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Gee

Re: PROVE to me that the world is, in fact, real at all.

Post by Gee »

Sculptor1 wrote: December 17th, 2022, 11:45 am
I am holding a snub-nosed 0.38 revolver, pointed at your head and cocked ready to fire - or so it seems.

"Tell me the world is not real mother ****!
"Make my Day!
"Tell me that your brains are not going to be spread over the wall behind your head when I pull this trigger!"

Would that be persuasion enough?
Sculptor1;

You don't have to go all "Clint Eastwood". People committing murder or suicide may not consider this, but all cities and states do not provide someone to scrape and clean the walls afterward. Not good for the families.

Just take a hammer and smack said stupid person on the toe repeatedly until said person admits that it "Really, Really Hurts".

Gee
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Gee wrote: December 20th, 2022, 3:09 am
Sculptor1 wrote: December 17th, 2022, 11:45 am
I am holding a snub-nosed 0.38 revolver, pointed at your head and cocked ready to fire - or so it seems.

"Tell me the world is not real mother ****!
"Make my Day!
"Tell me that your brains are not going to be spread over the wall behind your head when I pull this trigger!"

Would that be persuasion enough?
Sculptor1;

You don't have to go all "Clint Eastwood". People committing murder or suicide may not consider this, but all cities and states do not provide someone to scrape and clean the walls afterward. Not good for the families.

Just take a hammer and smack said stupid person on the toe repeatedly until said person admits that it "Really, Really Hurts".

Gee
Of just kick them in the balls, and say take that solipsist!!
godblog

Post by godblog »

Gee
I will respond to each point.

I think that everybody understands the concept, they are just confused because you are giving them the evidence of that concept, rather than giving them the conclusion that the evidence supports. By the way, I would recommend that you not use the term, duality. People see that, think dualism, and go off on mental challenges all about religion v science, and lose all good sense.-
——-
Evidence logic reason AND CONCLUSION
EVIDENCE - there is nothing physical because everything you perceive is just vibrating energy - NON PHYSICAL- subatomic electromagnetic energy perceived and labelled as particles-
LOGIC ally - only now exists because the past no longer exists
The future does not exist yet-
Energy cannot be created or destroyed- we exist as a singularity consciousness (1) (I THINK THEREFORE I AM) everything else is a construct of my thought. In this universe of nothingness (0) vibrating and creating 100111 all you think exists.
——
You are talking about balance. ALL of reality strives for balance, the physical and the emotional (spiritual), and of course math can not function without an equal, greater, or lesser, balance/comparison. Balance is an open secret of our universe, well known, but not always acknowledged.
———
BALANCE - yes but we need to balance the trinity of our existence as a consciousness- spiritual , a non “physical” (subatomic electromagnetic energy force) , intellectual-
———

Intellectual-

Something is real if it is causal, so the physical is real, emotion and forces are real as they both work through attraction/repulsion, math is real as a measure of what is causal. Thought is only real when it applies to the physical, emotional, or forces, but it does not seem to have any real properties on its own. For example, write down some of the greatest thoughts known to man, put the paper in a drawer and leave it for a few days or a few centuries -- nothing will happen -- nothing will be influenced. The mental requires the physical and/or the spiritual in order to be causal/real.
———
ANGSTROMS- sight- VIBRATING ENERGY
DECIBELS - sounds -VIBRATING ENERGY
CONSCIOUSNESS-.thoughts - VIBRATING ENERGY
there is a concept called “suspension of disbelief” we use to make a fictional story more entertaining as if it was a real experience.
CONCLUSION ?

Since all of reality is constantly striving for balance, that tells me that it is real and that there is more than one part because it takes more than one thing to cause balance, or even to try to balance. So solipsism is not a possibility except in someone's imagination.

Gee
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

godblog wrote: December 20th, 2022, 6:10 pm Gee

I think that everybody understands the concept, they are just confused because you are giving them the evidence of that concept, rather than giving them the conclusion that the evidence supports. By the way, I would recommend that you not use the term, duality. People see that, think dualism, and go off on mental challenges all about religion v science, and lose all good sense.-
——-
EVIDENCE - there is nothing physical because everything you perceive is just vibrating energy - NON PHYSICAL- subatomic electromagnetic energy perceived and labelled as particles-
Energy cannot be created or destroyed- we exist as a singularity consciousness (1) (I THINK THEREFORE I AM) everything else is a construct of my thought. In this universe of nothingness (0) vibrating and creating 100111 all you think exists.
——
You are talking about balance. ALL of reality strives for balance, the physical and the emotional (spiritual), and of course math can not function without an equal, greater, or lesser, balance/comparison. Balance is an open secret of our universe, well known, but not always acknowledged.
———
BALANCE - yes but we need to balance the trinity of our existence as a consciousness- spiritual , a non “physical” (subatomic electromagnetic energy force) , intellectual-
———

Intellectual-

Something is real if it is causal, so the physical is real, emotion and forces are real as they both work through attraction/repulsion, math is real as a measure of what is causal. Thought is only real when it applies to the physical, emotional, or forces, but it does not seem to have any real properties on its own. For example, write down some of the greatest thoughts known to man, put the paper in a drawer and leave it for a few days or a few centuries -- nothing will happen -- nothing will be influenced. The mental requires the physical and/or the spiritual in order to be causal/real.
———
there is a concept called “suspension of disbelief” we use to make a fictional story more entertaining as if it was a real experience.
CONCLUSION ?

Since all of reality is constantly striving for balance, that tells me that it is real and that there is more than one part because it takes more than one thing to cause balance, or even to try to balance. So solipsism is not a possibility except in someone's imagination.

Gee
Godblog, at the top right hand corner of every post there is a quote button. It will do it for you automatically. As it is, your text and Gee's is hopelessly intermingled in the text above.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
godblog

Post by godblog »

Pattern-chaser wrote: December 21st, 2022, 9:25 am
godblog wrote: December 20th, 2022, 6:10 pm Gee

——-
——
———
———

Intellectual-

———
CONCLUSION ?

Gee
Godblog, at the top right hand corner of every post there is a quote button. It will do it for you automatically. As it is, your text and Gee's is hopelessly intermingled in the text above.
I am not sure if my quoting was correct.
I’m n my last message I did try to delineate the quotes and reply with dashes between.
godblog

Post by godblog »

d3r31nz1g3 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 6:28 pm The following probably comes off as something I seriously think or ponder, which I do...

But think of this as a thought experiment in epistemology. The experiment is a classic one: solipsism. Prove to me that the world is even real at all considering the following:

The world is absolutely and incomprehensibly massive. It consists of millions of square miles. There are 8,000,000,000 people in it, which is eight thousand orders of individual millions. In Japan alone, which appears very small and slender on the world map, there are 120 individual groups of a million people.

To top it all off, all persons defecate and literally fart. I get the impression that human farts are existentially mocking me with intelligent intent. As in, the world is somehow fake all around me despite being physically present and absolutely perfectly realistic, and the "farts" seem like a mocking signature that it's all not real to me.

As in, I think "farts" themselves are intelligently "designed" with the intent of mocking me comedically.

Furthermore, scientific reality and the world leads me to believe that my person originates from my mother's womb, where she literally defecated me out of her vagina next to her anus. Despite full awareness of the scientific reality of evolution and reproduction, I am somehow suspicious of that fact alone.

These factors, which may sound immature if you don't catch my intent, lead me to believe I am living in an insane hypnotic false reality.

So, here's the challenge: prove me wrong.

Bare in mind, most immediate forms of evidencing I will consider to be "part of the hypnotic deception, where it's all simply just the farts".
How big is god?
Big enough to rule the mighty universe
Small enough to live within our mind
1 - consciousness- 0 - in a universe of nothingness
10011000 vibrating as the binary system we use to create everything that we IMAGINE exists
Atoms? Nope - just subatomic electromagnetic energy
1001100 I THINK therefore I AM — just a singularity consciousness 1 in a universe of nothingness 0 vibrating and creating everything you think exists 10011100
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

godblog wrote: December 21st, 2022, 12:27 pm
d3r31nz1g3 wrote: November 19th, 2022, 6:28 pm The following probably comes off as something I seriously think or ponder, which I do...

But think of this as a thought experiment in epistemology. The experiment is a classic one: solipsism. Prove to me that the world is even real at all considering the following:

The world is absolutely and incomprehensibly massive. It consists of millions of square miles. There are 8,000,000,000 people in it, which is eight thousand orders of individual millions. In Japan alone, which appears very small and slender on the world map, there are 120 individual groups of a million people.

To top it all off, all persons defecate and literally fart. I get the impression that human farts are existentially mocking me with intelligent intent. As in, the world is somehow fake all around me despite being physically present and absolutely perfectly realistic, and the "farts" seem like a mocking signature that it's all not real to me.

As in, I think "farts" themselves are intelligently "designed" with the intent of mocking me comedically.

Furthermore, scientific reality and the world leads me to believe that my person originates from my mother's womb, where she literally defecated me out of her vagina next to her anus. Despite full awareness of the scientific reality of evolution and reproduction, I am somehow suspicious of that fact alone.

These factors, which may sound immature if you don't catch my intent, lead me to believe I am living in an insane hypnotic false reality.

Bare in mind, most immediate forms of evidencing I will consider to be "part of the hypnotic deception, where it's all simply just the farts".
How big is god?
Big enough to rule the mighty universe
Small enough to live within our mind
1 - consciousness- 0 - in a universe of nothingness
10011000 vibrating as the binary system we use to create everything that we IMAGINE exists
Atoms? Nope - just subatomic electromagnetic energy
1001100 I THINK therefore I AM — just a singularity consciousness 1 in a universe of nothingness 0 vibrating and creating everything you think exists 10011100
These questions are only your own problem. A problem with no relevance to the thread, and no relevance to anything meaningful.
godblog

Post by godblog »

WOW - it says PROVE TO ME THE WORLD IS REAL:

I give you EVIDENCE - I think therefore I know I exist
If I exist then I am real and the world I AM CREATING
With my consciousness is real.
Vibrating energy subatomic electromagnetic fields
Vibrating energy decibels very real
Vibrating energy angstroms what you see
We are creating a VERY REAL perception of our existence
All you got is claims and assertions
I got EVIDENCE LOGIC AND REASON
you lose every time
godblog

Post by godblog »

I think therefore I know my consciousness is real.
Everything else is a product of my consciousness.
Since everything is just in my consciousness, the universe is not huge in any way.
Does your head have to be huge for there to be a car or a house or a universe inside your mind.
The brain deals in images not physical objects.
A singularity consciousness (1) in a universe of nothingness (0)
Vibrating and creating everything you are thinking about.
The purpose:
A singularity consciousness would be very lonely and bored
So it uses vibrating to create sounds / decibels
Color’s/ angstroms
Thoughts/ consciousness
All just vibrating energy we use to create this dream universe
Using a concept called “suspension of disbelief”
To pretend it is really happening.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

godblog wrote: December 27th, 2022, 10:17 am I think therefore I know my consciousness is real.
Just as Descartes tried, and only partly succeeded, you are jumping to conclusions here. Who/what is the "I" you refer to? How does the existence of "I" associate with the thinking that you believe you observe? How is 'your' consciousness associated with "I" or with thinking? How does one lead to the other? And what is 'real'? Is a simulation 'real', for example? You assume too much, and offer no reason or reasoning that might lie behind your guesses.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
godblog

Post by godblog »

Guesses? I think not.
1: I think therefore I know I exist as a singularity consciousness
2: If I exist something created me.
3: God by definition is the creator of the universe.
Why other questions.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

godblog wrote: December 27th, 2022, 6:16 pm Guesses? I think not.
1: I think therefore I know I exist as a singularity consciousness
2: If I exist something created me.
3: God by definition is the creator of the universe.
Why other questions.
A set of common opinions, though the OP was seeking proof.
"As usual... it depends."
Gremory
New Trial Member

Post by Gremory »

The possibility of knowledge is a sign that the world is real.
Our interaction with beings around us gives us experience of their material qualities and space-time qualities.

These qualities are experienced through our bodily existence, giving rise to perception.
With perception, existence of objects and their properties are meaningful to us.

The existence of red apple in front of us means there are something that may serve as food.
There are many factors generating that meaning, including our past experience, taste and belief system.
There are also factors from the red apple itself. We can't just determine their properties as we like, the apple has some resistance to retain its existential properties.
We can't command our mind to perceive that apple has its fruit taste identical to meat and has texture like tenderloin steak. The fruit is just like any other common properties of apple.

Therefore our interaction with beings around us is not some arbitrary mental images, but a genuine interaction between 2 or more beings.

If our interaction with beings around us are a genuine interaction, then it is possible that we have knowledge of beings other than us.
If the world is not real at all, it is impossible to have a knowledge of beings other than us.
godblog

Post by godblog »

“ Just as Descartes tried, and only partly succeeded, you are jumping to conclusions here. Who/what is the "I" you refer to? How does the existence of "I" associate with the thinking that you believe you observe? How is 'your' consciousness associated with "I" or with thinking? How does one lead to the other? And what is 'real'? Is a simulation 'real', for example? You assume too much, and offer no reason or reasoning that might lie behind your guesses.”

The “I” being referred to is my consciousness.
Everything else is a construct of my consciousness.
Nothing is “real”- physically- everything is vibrating energy
What you see , angstroms, vibrating energy
What you hear/say, decibels vibrating energy
What you think. Consciousness firing synapses vibrating energy

Physical is a perception of subatomic electromagnetic vibrating energy >protons>leptons> atoms - all an expression of vibrating energy.

We are a singularity consciousness (1) in a universe of
nothingness (0) vibrating 10011100 creating a binary language that we communicate with as noted above -
VIBRATING ENERGY consciousness I think therefore I am
Everything else is a product of my consciousness.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: November 20th, 2022, 3:27 am

When one casts doubt on the senses, then there is doubt about perception. If there is doubt about perception, then nothing can be absolutely taken at face value and of course it becomes possible for everything to be false.

Thus there is no "evidence" that can refute that conclusion since the "evidence" can similarly be false.

Basically the best réfutation is: because you're not important enough to "deserve" anyone's expenditure of effort to fake you out.
Yes, but your senses may deceive you yourself. What if anything is that which cannot be deceived?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream