Where are You Now ?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Good_Egg

Re: Where are You Now ?

Post by Good_Egg »

UniversalAlien wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 11:09 pm everything is relative {like Relativity}. :roll:
The reference to relativity (in the original Einsteinian sense) is exactly right.

I know my location relative to other things around me and I am at rest (sitting drinking coffee in the kitchen) relative to the rest of the planet.

Yes that frame of reference is not at rest relative to other frames of reference (e.g. the stars) and therefore it's location is changing relative to that other frame. So what ?

Relativity is the principle that the choice of reference frame is arbitrary. We are all free to choose whatever frame is convenient for our own purposes.

All the frames of reference within which I don't know where I am are no more right and are less useful for locational purposes.
"Opinions are fiercest.. ..when the evidence to support or refute them is weakest" - Druin Burch
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Good_Egg wrote: March 4th, 2023, 3:45 am
UniversalAlien wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 11:09 pm everything is relative {like Relativity}. :roll:
The reference to relativity (in the original Einsteinian sense) is exactly right.

I know my location relative to other things around me and I am at rest (sitting drinking coffee in the kitchen) relative to the rest of the planet.

Yes that frame of reference is not at rest relative to other frames of reference (e.g. the stars) and therefore it's location is changing relative to that other frame. So what ?

Relativity is the principle that the choice of reference frame is arbitrary. We are all free to choose whatever frame is convenient for our own purposes.

All the frames of reference within which I don't know where I am are no more right and are less useful for locational purposes.
Yes, and the significance is worth considering.

Could the fact that where we are is relative lead to a way of 'junmping out' of the matrix you are in and into another matrix so as to
jump through space time - A shortcut to allow intergalactic space travel :idea:

For now this is sciencefictionalism - Still I wonder :?: :arrow:
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

UniversalAlien wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 6:08 pm Before you even attempt to answer don't forget to consider that time and space are in a state of perpetual motion :idea:
That depends on how you look at it. If we consider the spacetime universe as a single entity — which it is — it looks different... Motion is a function of time, nothing more.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:45 am
UniversalAlien wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 6:08 pm Before you even attempt to answer don't forget to consider that time and space are in a state of perpetual motion :idea:
That depends on how you look at it. If we consider the spacetime universe as a single entity — which it is — it looks different... Motion is a function of time, nothing more.
I thought about your assertion for awhile..........And then decided to dispute it. :arrow:

1. How do you know that " the spacetime universe as a single entity" :?: - Can you prove this :?:
Other hypothetical beings with higher powers of observation may see us {Humans} as living in in small area of a much greater and vaster
Universe with many vectors of space and time :idea:

2. You say " Motion is a function of time" - I say motion must occur withn time - Time is a prime requisite for all that exists,
Before the so called 'Big Bang' there was no time and hypothetically nothing existeed - And then the occurecnce of the Big Bang
started time - Everything that occurred after and is occurring now is occurring in time - Motion is observable within time and is also
a measurement of time and can be used to measure time :idea:
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 4th, 2023, 9:45 am
UniversalAlien wrote: March 5th, 2023, 6:31 am I thought about your assertion for awhile..........And then decided to dispute it. :arrow:
Ah, OK. 🙂

UniversalAlien wrote: March 5th, 2023, 6:31 am 1. How do you know that "the spacetime universe as a single entity" :?: - Can you prove this :?:
I think you might've read "as" as "is"? Read again: "If we consider the spacetime universe as a single entity..."

Also, I don't think there's any need to "prove" something that can be confirmed by simple empirical observation, is there? It's there. It has no dividing 'lines' that separate some parts of it from other parts. Empirically, I can see no reason or justification for our assumption that the universe may be divided into distinct and separable parts. That is dubious, wouldn't you say? But I offer no "proof". I'm not sure there is any, if observation is not sufficient for you.

UniversalAlien wrote: March 5th, 2023, 6:31 am Other hypothetical beings with higher powers of observation may see us {Humans} as living in a small area of a much greater and vaster
Universe with many vectors of space and time :idea:
We generally use "universe" to refer to all matter, energy, etc., that exists. I used it in that way in my comment.

UniversalAlien wrote: March 5th, 2023, 6:31 am 2. You say "Motion is a function of time" - I say motion must occur within time - Time is a prime requisite for all that exists.
Time is necessary for change, not for existence?

UniversalAlien wrote: March 5th, 2023, 6:31 am Motion is observable within time and is also a measurement of time and can be used to measure time :idea:
Motion is used to measure time? Do you refer to mechanical clock mechanisms here? Without the concept of time, motion is meaningless, yes?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Pattern-chaser wrote:
That depends on how you look at it...........
TRUE :!:

So for the sake of argument, and with no ability to prove it, let me assert that I am at the center of the Universe :idea:

Now the problem is this - Even though at the center of the universe, I don't know where or when this is.

- Do you know where or when the center of the Universe is :?:
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

UniversalAlien wrote: March 10th, 2023, 5:45 am Pattern-chaser wrote:

So for the sake of argument, and with no ability to prove it, let me assert that I am at the center of the Universe :idea:

Now the problem is this - Even though at the center of the universe, I don't know where or when this is.

Surely the simple truth is that location, like velocity, is relative? Wherever the 'centre' of the universe is, its position is relative to the rest of the universe; it cannot be otherwise.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Vagueabsolute

Post by Vagueabsolute »

UniversalAlien wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 6:08 pm In the World, the Universe, the planet and place on the planet, where are you at this moment :?:

Before you answer I want you to consider that as far as is known the Universe and all the stars and planets in the Universe are in a state
of continuous motion and time marches on.

In this matrix that you exist in is it possilbe to establish where you are :?:

Can you give me even a close approximation of where you are :?:

Before you even attempt to answer don't forget to consider that time and space are in a state of perpetual motion :idea:
Firstly, i consider myself (as well as everyone else) to be a concept. A certain set of possible patterns and phenomena. Therefore location/position isn’t a phenomenon directly comparable to ME. The matter forming this body of mine tho, might not ever be located at one point, but rather an infinite (yet precise) range of places. Imagine animating a person walking. You can flip through the frames to illustrate movement. If you instead show all the frames at once, then isn’t that the absolute location of that animated person?

In a way, I don’t believe in time, this is one of the main factors contributing to this take on an answer to your question.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 10th, 2023, 10:05 am
UniversalAlien wrote: March 10th, 2023, 5:45 am Pattern-chaser wrote:

Surely the simple truth is that location, like velocity, is relative? Wherever the 'centre' of the universe is, its position is relative to the rest of the universe; it cannot be otherwise.
Rest of the Universe :?: Yes, but what does that mean :?:

You see pictures of the Milky Way as a spiral that seems to rotate around a center - But how do you picture the whole Universe :?:

What if the whole Universe is lierally a matter of observation :?: - Not just a matter of Relativity but also dependent on position of
the obsemver in more than just a relativistic sense :idea:

Can you picture a universe existing outsiide of observation :?:

If observation itself is as important as I'm implying then one might wonder if it is possible to tweak observation :?:
-- Purpose being a new way of long distance space travel other than moving mass through space at the relativity slow speed of light :idea: :arrow:
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 10th, 2023, 10:05 am Surely the simple truth is that location, like velocity, is relative? Wherever the 'centre' of the universe is, its position is relative to the rest of the universe; it cannot be otherwise.
UniversalAlien wrote: March 12th, 2023, 6:38 pm Rest of the Universe :?: Yes, but what does that mean :?:

You see pictures of the Milky Way as a spiral that seems to rotate around a center - But how do you picture the whole Universe :?:

What if the whole Universe is literally a matter of observation :?: - Not just a matter of Relativity but also dependent on position of
the observer in more than just a relativistic sense :idea:

Can you picture a universe existing outside of observation :?:

If observation itself is as important as I'm implying then one might wonder if it is possible to tweak observation :?:
-- Purpose being a new way of long distance space travel other than moving mass through space at the relativity slow speed of light :idea: :arrow:
You offer many (more) questions, UniversalAlien, but little in the way of answers, and nothing, it seems, of your own opinions or views. Why not say what you think?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Samana Johann

Post by Samana Johann »

What's meant by "you", good householder. Could he trace it then?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Samana Johann wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:09 am What's meant by "you", good householder.
"You", in this case, refers to the 'good householder' who I am replying to.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Samana Johann

Post by Samana Johann »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:13 am
Samana Johann wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:09 am What's meant by "you", good householder.
"You", in this case, refers to the 'good householder' who I am replying to.
Conventional: body? mind? What's "you"? How could one answer without knowing to wish to locate what.

(and it wasn't explicitly in regard of good householders post, but on the OP's question)

But enough of wasted time here.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Samana Johann wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:35 am Conventional: body? mind? What's "you"? How could one answer without knowing to wish to locate what.

(and it wasn't explicitly in regard of good householders post, but on the OP's question)

I think the time-wasting involves asking pedantic questions like "What's 'you'?" 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Samana Johann

Post by Samana Johann »

Pattern-chaser wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:50 am
Samana Johann wrote: March 14th, 2023, 10:35 am Conventional: body? mind? What's "you"? How could one answer without knowing to wish to locate what.

I think the time-wasting involves asking pedantic questions like "What's 'you'?" 🤔
Make less sense if wishing to philosophy into when the object isn't clear, or what would good householder think?
While body might be conventional trace-able, the mind, and even the notion of "me" certain not, by what ever means. Not to speak of trying to fetch one gone beyond.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream