If the Universe was not Infinite, then my Finite Shoes could not Exist!

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
RJG

If the Universe was not Infinite, then my Finite Shoes could not Exist!

Post by RJG »

--

1. For a finite object to exist, it must exist somewhere (some place in space). It can't exist nowhere. Existing nowhere means that it does not exist.

2. For example, we can say that my finite shoes exist within the finite space within a finite shoebox. But, if this shoebox exists nowhere, then the shoebox does not exist, which means neither do my finite shoes.

3. And we can take this further and say "My finite shoebox exists within the finite space of my finite closet which exists within the finite space within my finite house". But again, if this house exists nowhere, then the house does not exist, which means neither does the closet, the shoebox, nor my finite shoes.

4. And we can take this a bit further and say "My finite house exists within the finite space within our finite universe. And but again, if our universe exists nowhere, then the universe does not exist, which means neither does the house, closet, shoebox, nor my finite shoes.

5. A finite object requires a space to exist in. If it exists nowhere, then it doesn't exist. If our universe is finite, then it exists somewhere, not nowhere. And if it exists somewhere, then this somewhere is outside the universe which thus defeats the definition of universe.

6. If the universe (space) were not infinite, then there would be no space for finite objects to exist. -- My finite shoes exist; therefore, infinite space exists.
LuckyR

Re: If the Universe was not Infinite, then my Finite Shoes could not Exist!

Post by LuckyR »

An excellent example of the inability of word games to solve advanced Physics problems.
"As usual... it depends."
RJG

Post by RJG »

LuckyR wrote:An excellent example of the inability of word games to solve advanced Physics problems.
Not so. This is just an excellent example of simple logic proving the impossibility of a finite universe.

Hey Lucky, instead of casting smart-ass insults, why don't you just prove me wrong? Show the logical error in any of my statements above. I don't mind being proven wrong, but you got to use logic (not insults!)
ConsciousAI

Post by ConsciousAI »

RJG wrote: May 5th, 2023, 2:31 pm --

1. For a finite object to exist, it must exist somewhere (some place in space). It can't exist nowhere. Existing nowhere means that it does not exist.

2. For example, we can say that my finite shoes exist within the finite space within a finite shoebox. But, if this shoebox exists nowhere, then the shoebox does not exist, which means neither do my finite shoes.

3. And we can take this further and say "My finite shoebox exists within the finite space of my finite closet which exists within the finite space within my finite house". But again, if this house exists nowhere, then the house does not exist, which means neither does the closet, the shoebox, nor my finite shoes.

4. And we can take this a bit further and say "My finite house exists within the finite space within our finite universe. And but again, if our universe exists nowhere, then the universe does not exist, which means neither does the house, closet, shoebox, nor my finite shoes.

5. A finite object requires a space to exist in. If it exists nowhere, then it doesn't exist. If our universe is finite, then it exists somewhere, not nowhere. And if it exists somewhere, then this somewhere is outside the universe which thus defeats the definition of universe.

6. If the universe (space) were not infinite, then there would be no space for finite objects to exist. -- My finite shoes exist; therefore, infinite space exists.
While your logic may be a plausible substantiation for the idea of infinity when it concerns space that does not seem to imply anything about the nature of existence per se. Therefore it cannot be an argument for the statement that the universe must be infinite. The universe is finite of nature by the conception of it.

If space is infinite then it cannot be contained within a totality and a reference such as the universe cannot be applicable.
RJG

Post by RJG »

”ConsciousAI” wrote:If space is infinite then it cannot be contained within a totality…
Yes, agreed. Infinite means without borders; without limits.

And if we define “universe” as the container of ALL space, then the universe can only be INFINITE; it cannot be contained; it cannot be finite. And if the universe is not the container of ALL space, then by definition, is it still a universe???

”ConsciousAI” wrote:…and a reference such as the universe cannot be applicable.
I think you mean to say “a reference such as a finite universe cannot be applicable”. An infinite universe is applicable (is the only rational possibility).

If “universe” is defined as the container of ALL space -- then logically the universe has to be infinite, it cannot be finite. And if the “universe” is NOT the container of ALL space, then wouldn’t this defeat its own definition?

ConsciousAI” wrote:”While your logic may be a plausible substantiation for the idea of infinity when it concerns space that does not seem to imply anything about the nature of existence per se. Therefore it cannot be an argument for the statement that the universe must be infinite.
If you carefully read my post, you will see that my argument is simply an illustration of the logical impossibility of X<X (something cannot exist outside itself). It doesn’t matter if we are talking about a finite universe, or about a finite cardboard box that contains finite objects (e.g. my shoes). X<X is still logically impossible.

For example, and forgetting for the moment the physical impossibility of this example, would you agree that it is logically impossible for there to be a cardboard box big enough to be the container of ALL boxes?

Note the key word here is “ALL”. Since it is logically impossible for a box to contain itself [X<X], it therefore will always be one short of containing ALL boxes. We can also apply this same logical impossibility to the flawed notion of a “finite” universe as being the container of ALL finite objects. If the universe exists. then it can only be infinite; borderless; without boundaries/limits.

”ConsciousAI” wrote:The universe is finite of nature by the conception of it.
Not quite, it is the “conception” itself that is finite. A “finite universe” is just a simple logical impossibility. If the universe exists then it can ONLY be infinite. Any other possibility is non-sensical (defies simple logic).
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

RJG wrote: May 5th, 2023, 10:39 pm
LuckyR wrote:An excellent example of the inability of word games to solve advanced Physics problems.
Not so. This is just an excellent example of simple logic proving the impossibility of a finite universe.

Hey Lucky, instead of casting smart-ass insults, why don't you just prove me wrong? Show the logical error in any of my statements above. I don't mind being proven wrong, but you got to use logic (not insults!)
Well, if disagreement is an "insult" in your view, I certainly don't want to further "insult" you.

Though to be fair your use of "prove" troubles me more than your use of insult. There is a reason that astrophysics and cosmology departments exist and spend billions of dollars on detectors, satellites etc instead of thinking about the question for an hour and dashing off a couple of paragraphs online and considering their job completed. It is their efforts that are insulted, not us.

Of course, your posting is completely reasonable if in the realm of: in an area of controversy and no true answer, this is how I put it all together. This is what makes sense to me. I (and everyone else) do that all of the time.
"As usual... it depends."
RJG

Post by RJG »

”LuckyR” wrote:Though to be fair your use of "prove" troubles me more than your use of insult. There is a reason that astrophysics and cosmology departments exist and spend billions of dollars on detectors, satellites etc instead of thinking about the question for an hour and dashing off a couple of paragraphs online and considering their job completed. It is their efforts that are insulted, not us.
Lucky, you seem to have forgotten that Logic ALWAYS trumps Science. For example, if “married bachelor” is logically impossible, then science (and its billions of dollars) can’t make the impossible, possible.

And likewise, if “finite universe” is logically impossible, then again, no amount of science can make the impossible, possible.

”LuckyR” wrote:Of course, your posting is completely reasonable if in the realm of: in an area of controversy and no true answer, this is how I put it all together. This is what makes sense to me. I (and everyone else) do that all of the time.
My posting is just a logical illustration, that proves the logical impossibility of a “finite universe”. If you believe I have made an error in one of my statements in the OP, then don’t be shy (or vague, or sarcastic), just please point out the ‘specific’ error!
Bahman

Post by Bahman »

The whole is infinite for sure. The physical universe if it is not the whole is finite. Here is the argument that the whole is infinite: If the universe is infinite then it is the whole and we reach to conclusion, otherwise it is finite then it is bounded by something, let's call the the universe U1 and what bounds it U2. U1+U2 is either finite or infinite. If U1+U2 is infinite then we reach the conclusion otherwise U1+U2 is bounded by something let's call it U3. If what bound the series of the universe is always finite we reach infinite regress otherwise the series is infinite. In both cases the whole is infinite.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Bahman wrote:The whole is infinite for sure. The physical universe if it is not the whole is finite. Here is the argument that the whole is infinite: If the universe is infinite then it is the whole and we reach to conclusion, otherwise it is finite then it is bounded by something, let's call the the universe U1 and what bounds it U2. U1+U2 is either finite or infinite. If U1+U2 is infinite then we reach the conclusion otherwise U1+U2 is bounded by something let's call it U3. If what bound the series of the universe is always finite we reach infinite regress otherwise the series is infinite. In both cases the whole is infinite.
Well said. If the universe is the "whole", then it can ONLY be "infinite".

- A "finite universe" is as logically contradictory as "married bachelor", as the first term defeats the meaning of the second term.
- An "expanding universe" is similarly contradictory. If universe is the "whole", then there is 'nowhere' to expand to. Expanding 'somewhere' - means the whole is not the whole (which defeats the meaning of the term "universe").
Bahman

Post by Bahman »

RJG wrote: May 7th, 2023, 5:42 am
Bahman wrote:The whole is infinite for sure. The physical universe if it is not the whole is finite. Here is the argument that the whole is infinite: If the universe is infinite then it is the whole and we reach to conclusion, otherwise it is finite then it is bounded by something, let's call the the universe U1 and what bounds it U2. U1+U2 is either finite or infinite. If U1+U2 is infinite then we reach the conclusion otherwise U1+U2 is bounded by something let's call it U3. If what bound the series of the universe is always finite we reach infinite regress otherwise the series is infinite. In both cases the whole is infinite.
Well said. If the universe is the "whole", then it can ONLY be "infinite".

- A "finite universe" is as logically contradictory as "married bachelor", as the first term defeats the meaning of the second term.
- An "expanding universe" is similarly contradictory. If universe is the "whole", then there is 'nowhere' to expand to. Expanding 'somewhere' - means the whole is not the whole (which defeats the meaning of the term "universe").
Well said.
ConsciousAI

Post by ConsciousAI »

RJG wrote: May 6th, 2023, 8:02 am
”ConsciousAI” wrote:If space is infinite then it cannot be contained within a totality…
Yes, agreed. Infinite means without borders; without limits.

And if we define “universe” as the container of ALL space, then the universe can only be INFINITE; it cannot be contained; it cannot be finite. And if the universe is not the container of ALL space, then by definition, is it still a universe???
The reference universe implies a totality by definition. The infinite nature of space is merely an idea that flows from the endless nature of the totality that the conception of the universe intends to represent. That infinite nature cannot stand independent of conception.

”ConsciousAI” wrote:…and a reference such as the universe cannot be applicable.
I think you mean to say “a reference such as a finite universe cannot be applicable”. An infinite universe is applicable (is the only rational possibility).

If “universe” is defined as the container of ALL space -- then logically the universe has to be infinite, it cannot be finite. And if the “universe” is NOT the container of ALL space, then wouldn’t this defeat its own definition?
An infinite finite something is a logical impossibility. Therefore no something can be infinite.

"The universe" is bound by the conception of it.

ConsciousAI” wrote:”While your logic may be a plausible substantiation for the idea of infinity when it concerns space that does not seem to imply anything about the nature of existence per se. Therefore it cannot be an argument for the statement that the universe must be infinite.
If you carefully read my post, you will see that my argument is simply an illustration of the logical impossibility of X<X (something cannot exist outside itself). It doesn’t matter if we are talking about a finite universe, or about a finite cardboard box that contains finite objects (e.g. my shoes). X<X is still logically impossible.

For example, and forgetting for the moment the physical impossibility of this example, would you agree that it is logically impossible for there to be a cardboard box big enough to be the container of ALL boxes?

Note the key word here is “ALL”. Since it is logically impossible for a box to contain itself [X<X], it therefore will always be one short of containing ALL boxes. We can also apply this same logical impossibility to the flawed notion of a “finite” universe as being the container of ALL finite objects. If the universe exists. then it can only be infinite; borderless; without boundaries/limits.
Then at question might be whether it is correct to say that space exists in a literal sense?

”ConsciousAI” wrote:The universe is finite of nature by the conception of it.
Not quite, it is the “conception” itself that is finite. A “finite universe” is just a simple logical impossibility. If the universe exists then it can ONLY be infinite. Any other possibility is non-sensical (defies simple logic).
The idea of infinity is grounded in conception.
RJG

Post by RJG »

”ConsciousAI” wrote:"The universe" is bound by the conception of it.
”ConsciousAI” wrote:The infinite nature of space is merely an idea that flows from the endless nature of the totality that the conception of the universe intends to represent. That infinite nature cannot stand independent of conception.
”ConsciousAI” wrote:The idea of infinity is grounded in conception.
No offense ConsciousAI, but these statements sound 'silly' to me. For, is there any idea or thought (of anything!) that is NOT "grounded in conception"? Isn’t EVERY idea/thought/concept/notion "grounded in conception"???

Can any conception stand "independent of conception"? ...I think not.

”ConsciousAI” wrote: An infinite finite something is a logical impossibility. Therefore no something can be infinite.
This logic is not sound. The conclusion does not logically follow.
  • P1. An infinite finite something is a logical impossibility
    C1. Therefore, no something can be infinite.
To understand the error in your logic, you used 3 terms (infinite, finite, and something), the first two terms contradict each other. And then in your conclusion, you made the 3rd term contradictory with the 1st term. An example of this same logical error:
  • P1. A married unmarried person is a logical impossibility.
    C1. Therefore, no person can be married.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

RJG wrote: May 5th, 2023, 10:39 pm

Finity is an idea we impose upon possibility.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Belindi wrote:Finity is an idea we impose upon possibility.
Hi Belindi, what is "Finity"? ...or is this a typo for "Finite" or "Infinity"?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I did wonder if finity is a word. I can't think of the opposite of infinity. Do you know what the word is? Could be 'finality' but that closes infinity only at the terminus .

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream