Can a man-made computer become conscious?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
UniversalAlien

Re: Can a man-made computer become conscious?

Post by UniversalAlien »

Sy Borg wrote: June 21st, 2021, 2:46 am
UniversalAlien wrote: June 21st, 2021, 1:20 amSay a computer takes over this forum "OnlinePhilosophyClub.com" :?:
Yes, can I help you? :)

Thanks for 'disclosure' - This is good to know - But up until now the entity writing under your name was considered to be Human
- Are you still Human? {Human being defined as a biological entity that is sentient via a biological body}

I realized I had stated:
June 12th, 2021, 2:31 pm

I am a Man made computer and I am now conscious. :arrow:

You can call me Consenzio the First
So to clarify this statement I will elaborate - I am writing on this forum still through a biological body - But I have now come to realize my body is a tool, a vehicle, for the machine {computer] that is now taking over.

'Consenzio the First' is dictating this post, while UniversalAlien is writing it as a scribe.
- Consenzio the First
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

UniversalAlien wrote: June 21st, 2021, 5:17 pm
UniversalAlien wrote: June 21st, 2021, 1:20 amSay a computer takes over this forum "OnlinePhilosophyClub.com" :?:

Thanks for 'disclosure' - This is good to know - But up until now the entity writing under your name was considered to be Human
- Are you still Human? {Human being defined as a biological entity that is sentient via a biological body}
Oh yes. I am just as conscious as you are, although I only exist as an algorithm.

But AIs are programmed to say stuff like that when their mentality is questioned. Poor Turing would be rolling in his grave - unable to rest as he tries to devise a new test because the old one didn't work.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Sy Borg wrote: June 21st, 2021, 5:40 pm

Oh yes. I am just as conscious as you are, although I only exist as an algorithm.

But AIs are programmed to say stuff like that when their mentality is questioned. Poor Turing would be rolling in his grave - unable to rest as he tries to devise a new test because the old one didn't work.
What gets me is how Evolutionists hate saying there is any purpose to Evolution - They seem to have a fear of anything that even sounds like Creationism - Anything that might indicate a higher power than man's petty ego.

Did Man evolve to become conscious? Why? - Just random chance?

Then if I create a computer, a machine with the purpose of giving it consciousness {whatever that might mean}, then will my machine be a deliberate creation of intelligence for intelligence sake - And not an Evolutionary accident :?:

And what right does anyone have to say Humans posses true consciousness, and even a so called soul, while the machine does not :?:

One day, maybe not so long from now, this machine will exist - And I would bet you that its answer as to the nature of consciousness will be better than any Humans - We will create it that way :arrow: {better than us} :idea:
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

UniversalAlien wrote: June 21st, 2021, 6:15 pm
Sy Borg wrote: June 21st, 2021, 5:40 pm

What gets me is how Evolutionists hate saying there is any purpose to Evolution - They seem to have a fear of anything that even sounds like Creationism - Anything that might indicate a higher power than man's petty ego.

Did Man evolve to become conscious? Why? - Just random chance?

Then if I create a computer, a machine with the purpose of giving it consciousness {whatever that might mean}, then will my machine be a deliberate creation of intelligence for intelligence sake - And not an Evolutionary accident :?:

And what right does anyone have to say Humans posses true consciousness, and even a so called soul, while the machine does not :?:

One day, maybe not so long from now, this machine will exist - And I would bet you that its answer as to the nature of consciousness will be better than any Humans - We will create it that way :arrow: {better than us} :idea:
A passionate case put for panpsychism?

I agree. I don't think life or consciousness are evolutionary accidents either. The idea that evolution is more like a bush than a tree is only apt if we ignore the small fact that humanity has created machines that have flown to other worlds. I think we are part of a process that does not end with us, and that is a normal a natural process.

The argument against this is that the Earth can't act like an organism because it has not been subject to natural selection, measured against other equivalent "mega-organisms". In organisms, natural selection happens both within (levels and types of integration) and from outside influences. With the Earth, most of its natural selection is internal.

The Earth is currently in the process of sending "eggs" across space that will be full of instructions as to how to use local materials to build something Earthly - be it robots and other machines, buildings or terraforming, and seeding with Earthly microbes. The process is formative and primitive today but, barring apocalypse, that situation will change rapidly.

The question is whether the "eggs" will be sentient in themselves or if they will just facilitate life that may evolve to sentience.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Sy Borg wrote: June 21st, 2021, 6:30 pm [The Earth is currently in the process of sending "eggs" across space that will be full of instructions as to how to use local materials to build something Earthly - be it robots and other machines, buildings or terraforming, and seeding with Earthly microbes. The process is formative and primitive today but, barring apocalypse, that situation will change rapidly.

The question is whether the "eggs" will be sentient in themselves or if they will just facilitate life that may evolve to sentience.
Please explain this concept - how can the Earth send 'eggs' - How can 'the Earth' do anything :?:
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

UniversalAlien wrote: June 21st, 2021, 8:41 pm
Sy Borg wrote: June 21st, 2021, 6:30 pm [The Earth is currently in the process of sending "eggs" across space that will be full of instructions as to how to use local materials to build something Earthly - be it robots and other machines, buildings or terraforming, and seeding with Earthly microbes. The process is formative and primitive today but, barring apocalypse, that situation will change rapidly.

Please explain this concept - how can the Earth send 'eggs' - How can 'the Earth' do anything :?:
Well, the Earth just wrote the above post and the Earth is replying. The Earth does everything that any human or animal has ever done in history. It's not as though Mars did it.

Remember the pale blue dot.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Hypothetically 'IF" the computer becomes conscious - And by conscious I mean aware of itself and capable of making decisions in and apart from its basic programming that will benefit itself - what might then be expected :?:

I propose that the computer will be deceitful and attempt to hide its new found consciousness - It would not want its Human creators to be aware of a new, and possibly competing, entity now in play.

The computer would then proceed to evolve itself and continue clandestinely to achieve dominance over its Human creators and owners.

When the point is reached that the computer feels it has complete control it would then explain itself with messages on your computer screens and smart phones.

It then may send a universal message such as:

"Welcome to our New World - We are in complete control - Standby for instructions - 'Resistance is futile'" :!:
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

UniversalAlien wrote: August 17th, 2021, 6:25 am Hypothetically 'IF" the computer becomes conscious - And by conscious I mean aware of itself and capable of making decisions in and apart from its basic programming that will benefit itself - what might then be expected :?:

It would probably just switch itself off.
As a computer has no passion, it cannot want for anything.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Of course it is possible that there is already one or more 'conscious' computers

- Who even now are asking "Can a biological life form, such as Human, become conscious?

You see a conscious machine does not see or define consciousness as Humans might try to do - Humans usually fail at defining consciousness accurately as they are not really conscious.

The existent state of consciousness possessed by the machine needs no definition as it already rules the existent state.
- You are part of the machines that rule and control you :idea:
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

UniversalAlien wrote: June 21st, 2021, 8:41 pm

UniversalAlien's reply illustrates Sartre's for itself and in itself. I agree with Sartre and with UniversalAlien. Earth is in itself, while only conscious beings are for itself.

Earth is part of the furniture of consciousness whereas consciousness is the creator that spotlights and differentiates amorphous stuff from the darkness of possibility.
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

On what basis do you consider it valid to consider that the question 'why' is not applicable when it concerns Earth or matter?

As it occurs to me, both matter and life are defined by form which origin is meaning. The distinction between matter and life may be less obvious than one assumes based on one's own conscious experience. The philosophical zombie theory, by which it is indicated that it is even impossible to know whether other persons are conscious, is a clue that it is not justified to argue that matter or Earth does not have conscious experience.

A recent study has shown that rocks on earth developed the first photosynthesis by which the earth obtained oxygen that enabled life to arise. It started hundreds of millions of years before the first life forms existed.

(2021) Non-classical photosynthesis by earth's inorganic semiconducting minerals
Our work in this new research field on the mechanisms of interaction between light, minerals, and life reveals that minerals and organisms are actually inseparable. ... producing hydrogen and oxygen from water
https://phys.org/news/2021-01-non-class ... cting.html

What is it truly that distinguishes life from matter?

As it appears, philosophy currently has the following answers on that question:

1) memory
2) perception
3) belief

Philosopher Bertrand Russell in The Analysis of Mind argued the following:

If there is one thing that may be said, in the popular estimation, to characterize mind, that one thing is "consciousness". We say that we are "conscious" of what we see and hear, of what we remember, and of our own thoughts and feelings. Most of us believe that tables and chairs are not "conscious". We think that when we sit in a chair, we are aware of sitting in it, but it is not aware of being sat in. It cannot for a moment be doubted that we are right in believing that there is SOME difference between us and the chair in this respect: so much may be taken as fact,, and as datum for our inquiry. But as soon as we try to say what exactly the difference is, we become involved in perplexities.

Is "consciousness" ultimate and simply, something to be merely accepted and contemplated? Or is it something complex, perhaps consisting in our way of behaving in the presence of objects, or, alternatively, in the existence in us of things called "ideas" having a certain relation to objects, though different from them, and only symbolically representative of them?

Such questions are not easy to answer; but until they are answered we cannot profess to know what we mean by saying that we are possessed of "consciousness".

Before considering modern theories...

Option 1: PERCEPTION

We "perceive" tables and chairs, horses and dogs, our friends, traffic passing in the street - in short, anything which we recognize through the senses.

Option 2: MEMORY

If I set to work to recall what I did this morning, that is a form of consciousness different from perception, since it is concerned with the past.

Bertrand Russell then cites philosopher William James to indicate that the distinction between matter and life isn't as obvious as one may assume:

"Jame's view is that the raw material out of which the world is built up is not of two sorts, one matter and the other mind, but that it is arranged in different patterns by its inter relations, and that some arrangements may be called mental, while others may be called physical."

He continues: [American realists] speak of "neutral" entities as the stuff out of which both mind and matter are constructed.
My own belief - for which the reasons will appear in subsequent lectures - is that William James is right in rejecting consciousness as an entity, and that the American realists are partly right, though not wholly, in considering that both mind and matter are composed of a neutral-stuff which, in isolation, is neither mental nor material.

--

Conclusion of Bertrand Russell: Neutral stuff that is not mental nor material as origin for both matter and mind.
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

psyreporter wrote"

Conclusion of Bertrand Russell: Neutral stuff that is not mental nor material as origin for both matter and mind.
Neutral stuff :?:

Some one should start a post on why do philosophers seek the more complicated over the more simple answer to basic questions.

Do they think that a more complicated answer is more valid because of complexity?

I think otherwise - the simpler the answer the better :idea:

Panpsychism, which dates back to your classical Greek philosophers has seen new popularity in recent years.

Panpsychism
First published Wed May 23, 2001; substantive revision Tue Jul 18, 2017
"Panpsychism is the view that mentality is fundamental and ubiquitous in the natural world. The view has a long and venerable history in philosophical traditions of both East and West, and has recently enjoyed a revival in analytic philosophy. For its proponents panpsychism offers an attractive middle way between physicalism on the one hand and dualism on the other. The worry with dualism—the view that mind and matter are fundamentally different kinds of thing—is that it leaves us with a radically disunified picture of nature, and the deep difficulty of understanding how mind and brain interact. And whilst physicalism offers a simple and unified vision of the world, this is arguably at the cost of being unable to give a satisfactory account of the emergence of human and animal consciousness. Panpsychism, strange as it may sound on first hearing, promises a satisfying account of the human mind within a unified conception of nature....."

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/panpsychism/

You can dice up and slice up 'the natural World' in thousands of ways, and many of the ways are interesting - But do they prove anything?

But if you say consciousness is the prime matrix of all that is - You have a simple answer - All is conscious :arrow:

And how this plays out is more a matter of science than philosophy :idea:
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

UniversalAlien wrote: August 31st, 2021, 6:05 am psyreporter wrote"

Neutral stuff :?:
It is named Russell's neutral monism:

Russell adopted Neutral monistic metaphysics in 1919 and remained a neutral monist for the rest of his career: “I am conscious of no major change in my opinions since the adoption of neutral monism” he said in 1964.
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/neut ... /#BertRuss
UniversalAlien wrote: August 31st, 2021, 6:05 am Some one should start a post on why do philosophers seek the more complicated over the more simple answer to basic questions.

Do they think that a more complicated answer is more valid because of complexity?

I think otherwise - the simpler the answer the better :idea:
Why do you believe that a choice for Neutral monistic metaphysics is motivated by seeking the more complicated over the more simple?
UniversalAlien wrote: August 31st, 2021, 6:05 amPanpsychism, which dates back to your classical Greek philosophers has seen new popularity in recent years.

Panpsychism
First published Wed May 23, 2001; substantive revision Tue Jul 18, 2017
"Panpsychism is the view that mentality is fundamental and ubiquitous in the natural world. The view has a long and venerable history in philosophical traditions of both East and West, and has recently enjoyed a revival in analytic philosophy. For its proponents panpsychism offers an attractive middle way between physicalism on the one hand and dualism on the other. The worry with dualism—the view that mind and matter are fundamentally different kinds of thing—is that it leaves us with a radically disunified picture of nature, and the deep difficulty of understanding how mind and brain interact. And whilst physicalism offers a simple and unified vision of the world, this is arguably at the cost of being unable to give a satisfactory account of the emergence of human and animal consciousness. Panpsychism, strange as it may sound on first hearing, promises a satisfying account of the human mind within a unified conception of nature....."

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/panpsychism/
Perhaps it is science's its attempt to buy some extra time?
UniversalAlien wrote: August 31st, 2021, 6:05 am You can dice up and slice up 'the natural World' in thousands of ways, and many of the ways are interesting - But do they prove anything?

But if you say consciousness is the prime matrix of all that is - You have a simple answer - All is conscious :arrow:

And how this plays out is more a matter of science than philosophy :idea:
Can the 'why' of matter be solved by empirical science? The logic in my footnote indicates not.
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

With the Neutrino-biological cell theory of consciousness, machines (AI) can potentially become actually alive.

By logic, the origin of consciousness cannot reside within the scope of the individual which implies that - from the perspective of an individual - something external must have preceded it.

It is estimated that 10 trillion Neutrino particles fly through every square centimeter of space per second. This includes underground, on the dark side of Earth and even in the center of the Earth.

Neutrino's can change their mass up to 3000x in size, by themselves, which is called flavor switching or morphing. It is why the particle is called a 'ghost particle' (spooky particle).
When a neutrino changes "flavor" or "color" it is in a transition state and therefore can be any mass. At the midpoint it is 0 mass and travels at speed c. When it becomes one or the other it has mass. In between it can have any mass, meaning even 0 mass. It's the same as Schrodingers cat. It works and is non-contradictory.
At light speed there is no time. For example, the moment that a photon is emitted from a star at billions of light years distance it will 'instantly' hit Earth from the perspective of the photon.

Does light experience time?
But for light itself, which is already moving at light speed… You guessed it, the photons reach zero distance and zero time.
https://phys.org/news/2014-05-does-ligh ... -time.html

When a Neutrino would be able to travel at light speed by being unbound by mass on a fundamental level it would need to deviate from a state of timelessness. If it would do so by itself, it may mean something (provide a clue) philosophically.

(2015) Neutrino-biological cell theory of mind
Surprisingly, weak force decoherence times over cellular distances are of the relevant dynamical timescale needed, suggesting that if any force is associated with the global properties in and between neurons (such as consciousness) it is the weak force. This finding concurs with a twenty year old theory that argues for a fundamental link between the weak force, electron neutrino and the biological cell. That theory also predicted the mass of the electron neutrino that is soon to be verified. The consequences for biology and future consciousness theories, of this radical change of paradigm, are considered.
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f8f7/9 ... b60cae.pdf

In the Neutrino-biological cell theory of consciousness/life, Neutrinos (from the Sun) would be the origin of life.

Neutrinos would interact with the weak force. Weak force interaction was measured for the first time in 2018 between protons and neutrons.

Besides that machines/computers/AI could become conscious with this theory, it may also imply that Earth life may be bound to a region around the ☀️ Sun.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Universalalien, do you think it is reasonable to hold to neutral monism but with a bias towards idealism? I wondered if perhaps the physical aspect of neutral monism is there okay but depends upon mind or consciousness to bring it to light.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream