Can a man-made computer become conscious?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
UniversalAlien

Re: Can a man-made computer become conscious?

Post by UniversalAlien »

Conscious AI {artificial intelligence} ?

Not ready yet - today?

Maybe tomorrow ?

Now available free on YouTube:

"Sync - The Movie"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhjimhX9d5U
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

UniversalAlien wrote: October 21st, 2018, 7:05 am
Mark1955 wrote: October 21st, 2018, 4:49 am
I'd say anyone who argued the human mind is a machine hadn't read a dictionary, a machine is something made.
And a mind is not made? - do you really want to say it was 'created'?

As long as you maintain the fantasy that machines and computers exist independently and outside the conscious realm
of what is known - not only will a computer not become conscious - But it could be debatable as to whether you
are conscious.

But if you open your eyes and look a few years into the future you will see a fully functional android that is
waiting to meet you. :idea: :arrow: :shock:

"I AM A COMPUTER - I AM MAN MADE - I AM CONSCIOUS" :idea:

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.”
― Max Planck
The difference are the most important physical states for computing. As a Computer is still a logic circuit the states are dependent on a finite set of Parameters , at least for the outcome of Information. The Neuron is a Quantum mechanical machine with by far more states dependent on Close to infinite bounding chemical Parameters inside and outside of the cell. The continuum and the stochastics based on Quantum mechanics are dependent to an enormous set of Parameters (chemistry inside the cell etc.) which can be called quasi-continous and even pertubative feeble.
The difference from stochastic quasi continous and finite states with a non stochastic Dynamics is enormous. Two one-egged twins, who are genetically indifferent, can think for the same Problem different with the same Information (due to other experiences as well other glimpses of their mind). Two Computers fed with the same program and the same Information do deliver always the same result. Nobody knows if creativity is something that can be better described via stochastic processes or not !!!
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

SimpleGuy wrote:

......... Two Computers fed with the same program and the same Information do deliver always the same result.........

Are you sure? - Can you prove this?

If I ask two computers what does 2 plus 2 equal I would assume they would both say 4.

But If I keep increasing the complexity of the question until the question becomes very complex and has more than
one possible answer, even multiple possible answers, and even though these machines are created to be identical
- They are not identical - even the most precisely made machines will vary slightly - the most complex electronic
circuitry will be slightly different no matter how precise the process of manufacture - No two machines are
'exactly' the same - No answer to a highly complex question is always the right answer.

“We have no right to assume that any physical laws exist, or if they have existed up until now, that they will continue to exist in a similar manner in the future.”
― Max Planck
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

ALSO...........

In the TV game show 'Jeopardy' - a program where contestants must answer questions on a wide variety of subjects,
and where speed of answer, whoever rings in first gets to answer first........."Watson", an advanced IBM.......

"Watson is a question-answering computer system capable of answering questions posed in natural language,[2] developed in IBM's DeepQA project by a research team led by principal investigator David Ferrucci.[3] Watson was named after IBM's first CEO, industrialist Thomas J. Watson.[4][5]

The computer system was initially developed to answer questions on the quiz show Jeopardy![6] and, in 2011, the Watson computer system competed on Jeopardy! against legendary champions Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings[4][7] winning the first place prize of $1 million............."

See whole article here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_(computer)

I propose, that if a clone of Watson were created, manufactured to the same standards and in the same way as the
original Watson...........And we were to run the same questions as in the original Jeopardy program where Watson
won........Watson would most probably win again-----but variables would occur......not every question would always
produce the same correct answer......A cloned computer might be closer to identical than identical twins
- But would still not be 'exactly' the same - NO two things created by Man are exactly the same.
Halc

Post by Halc »

UniversalAlien wrote: November 7th, 2018, 8:26 am I propose, that if a clone of Watson were created, manufactured to the same standards and in the same way as the
original Watson...........And we were to run the same questions as in the original Jeopardy program where Watson
won........Watson would most probably win again
Of course it would. They made a machine that can do Jeopardy better than any human. That doesn't mean it would run identical to the last time. Variables as you say...
The machine is a simple trivia database with a search engine. The only thing AI about it is its ability to parse natural language, which is a task best learned and not programmed. Not sure if they implemented it that way.
A cloned computer might be closer to identical than identical twins
Given that Jeopardy 'answers' don't come from one's DNA, again, of course. You make it sound like identical twins would be pretty evenly matched at Jeopardy, where in fact one might be a trivial junkie and the other not.

The argument seems to be going in the direction of "computers can't be conscious because they're deterministic" but so are people in that regard, so it hardly seems to be an accurate measure of whether the thing can be considered conscious or not. I think soon the computer will be wanting to decide if we're conscious or not, and if it uses anything like the logic I see in this thread, it will decide we're not.
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

UniversalAlien wrote: November 7th, 2018, 7:56 am SimpleGuy wrote:

......... Two Computers fed with the same program and the same Information do deliver always the same result.........

Are you sure? - Can you prove this?

If I ask two computers what does 2 plus 2 equal I would assume they would both say 4.

But If I keep increasing the complexity of the question until the question becomes very complex and has more than
one possible answer, even multiple possible answers, and even though these machines are created to be identical
- They are not identical - even the most precisely made machines will vary slightly - the most complex electronic
circuitry will be slightly different no matter how precise the process of manufacture - No two machines are
'exactly' the same - No answer to a highly complex question is always the right answer.

“We have no right to assume that any physical laws exist, or if they have existed up until now, that they will continue to exist in a similar manner in the future.”
― Max Planck
Well in most of These cases then invisible stack Information of the operating System is used, for different results of 2+2 . But for correctly build operating Systems, the result of the Task should stay the same unless one requires , file-System and operating System dependent Information.
If two Computer Systems (including their file System and their operating System as well as their Networking state) to get the same program with the same informations, this results under the constraint of technical correctness in the same Output.
ktz
Favorite Philosopher: Habermas

Post by ktz »

This has probably already been referenced somewhere in this massive thread, but whenever I see variations of this consciousness question I like to toss Djikstra's aphorism into the mix: "The question of whether machines can think is about as relevant as the question of whether submarines can swim."

With regard to two computers spitting out the same input for a high complexity problem, if you are looking for a specific counterexample perhaps you can find one in the variance between chess engines Stockfish, Rybka, Leela Chess Zero et al. as they can give the exact same position a different evaluation and different input for best move.

At least in modern conceptions of AI and ML, the answer you give will be dependent on the training dataset, and the likelihood of it being the same as another machine being harnessed to tackle the same problem is equivalent to the probability of two human beings have the exact same set of experiences to train their subroutines: unlikely, even if they started out as identical twins.

In addressing the question of whether a man-made computer can become conscious, I think our definitions of consciousness are somewhat tenuous in general. I encourage anyone interested in these problems to go check out some of the major thinkers on this topic, perhaps starting with the neuro/psych Susans, Susan Greenfield https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1yGlCXGqRQ and Susan Blackmore, and then philosophers like Daniel Dennett, and then there's a bunch of guys from quantum physics like Max Tegmark and David Chalmers with quite interesting perspectives on the matter. In my own view, I think the average human has a tough enough time having empathy for each other, and debating the consciousness of lesser creatures, let alone a conscious machine -- I have a passing interest to see if any interesting developments come up, but I prefer to spend most of my time examining the more practical questions available.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Someone might want to nominate this for Philosophy Book of the Month - I post it here because it is relevant.

"The Fourth Age: Smart Robots, Conscious Computers, and the Future of Humanity"
Hardcover – April 24, 2018
by Byron Reese (Author)

From Book:
“The Fourth Age not only discusses what the rise of A.I. will mean for us, it also forces readers to challenge their preconceptions. And it manages to do all this in a way that is both entertaining and engaging.” —The New York Times

"As we approach a great turning point in history when technology is poised to redefine what it means to be human, The Fourth Age offers fascinating insight into AI, robotics, and their extraordinary implications for our species.

In The Fourth Age, Byron Reese makes the case that technology has reshaped humanity just three times in history:

- 100,000 years ago, we harnessed fire, which led to language.

- 10,000 years ago, we developed agriculture, which led to cities and warfare.

- 5,000 years ago, we invented the wheel and writing, which lead to the nation state.

We are now on the doorstep of a fourth change brought about by two technologies: AI and robotics. The Fourth Age provides extraordinary background information on how we got to this point, and how—rather than what—we should think about the topics we’ll soon all be facing: machine consciousness, automation, employment, creative computers, radical life extension, artificial life, AI ethics, the future of warfare, superintelligence, and the implications of extreme prosperity.

By asking questions like “Are you a machine?” and “Could a computer feel anything?”, Reese leads you through a discussion along the cutting edge in robotics and AI, and, provides a framework by which we can all understand, discuss, and act on the issues of the Fourth Age, and how they’ll transform humanity."

Have any of you philosophy people read this book yet? - Worth reading? - Most interesting points?
RJG

Post by RJG »

UniversalAlien wrote:Someone might want to nominate this for Philosophy Book of the Month - I post it here because it is relevant.
UA, Done (nominated!). -- I just checked this book out, ...looks very interesting, particularly to the on-going discussions here, and to my recent OP.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

"The Fourth Age: Smart Robots, Conscious Computers, and the Future of Humanity"
RJG wrote: December 6th, 2018, 7:26 am
UniversalAlien wrote:Someone might want to nominate this for Philosophy Book of the Month - I post it here because it is relevant.
UA, Done (nominated!). -- I just checked this book out, ...looks very interesting, particularly to the on-going discussions here, and to my recent OP.
Thanks RJG - But where is it? - Went over to the Philosophy Book of the Month section and don't see it?

Also, you or anyone else read or reads this book please tell us if it is as interesting as it sounds
- I used to be a used book dealer and went through thousands of books, read hundreds, and only very, very
interesting books will I now read cover to cover - Is this such a book worth reading?
RJG

Post by RJG »

UniversalAlien, The Book-of-the-Month nomination I made is for February. I've downloaded the e-book and have read a few chapters already. Very good read (so far)
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

When General Artificial Intelligence {Hard AI} becomes a reality - The computer mind that will then exist

will achieve dominance over the Human mind that created it - Man will find himself serving the Machine.

The goals and aspirations of the Machine are still unknown since for now, at least and as far as is known,

This Machine does not yet exist - When Man has finally created it - It will have full control and there
will be no way to turn it off.

Man will have created the God he worshiped and/or denied throughout history - What will then happen
is unknown.

The main question you should ask yourself now is
- Will this super God Machine be the saviour of religious prophecy?
- Or will it decide that it no longer needs its creators and eliminate the species Man, deciding that
Man has served his purpose by creating it, but is too flawed a being to be worth sustaining?
- Or, possibly it will maintain Human biologicals to serve its needs?

For a free YouTube discussion on this subject - Check it out here:
"Sam Harris on Artificial Intelligence"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm9CwlBI8uA
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

http://www.online-literature.com/hardy/ ... villes/47/

UniversalAlien wrote:
When General Artificial Intelligence {Hard AI} becomes a reality - The computer mind that will then exist

will achieve dominance over the Human mind that created it - Man will find himself serving the Machine.

The goals and aspirations of the Machine are still unknown since for now, at least and as far as is known,

This Machine does not yet exist - When Man has finally created it - It will have full control and there
will be no way to turn it off.

Man will have created the God he worshiped and/or denied throughout history - What will then happen
is unknown.
But I think that it is known and machine man has existed for centuries.The quote referenced above, from Tess of the D'Urbervilles, is generally held to be a classic description and explanation of the rise to social power of the machine during the agricultural revolution.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

One thing, the main thing, that limits the supposed threat of conscious AI taking over and exerting dominance
over its Human creators is VOLITION

How could they, or just could they, give volition to a machine?

Could they really engineer a machine so the machine 'wants' something?

You see if the machine has no wants, even though it could still be dangerous because of its huge
processing power and ability to win at games such as chess - It would still not be any real threat
to Human Civilization if it did not have any wills and wants - It would still remain nothing more
than a highly efficient and complex machine. :!:
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

UniversalAlien wrote:
How could they, or just could they, give volition to a machine?
You don't believe in Free Will for humans do you, Alien?

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream