Metaphysics of quality

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
ChaoticMindSays

Metaphysics of quality

Post by ChaoticMindSays »

This is a feed for discussing the metaphysics of quality.

http://www.moq.org/

From zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance and Lila by Robert Pirsig.

I would really appreciate any ideas or comments on this.

First of all, has anyone read ZMM or Lila? ZMM is a book that drastically changed my life, I see it as being very important in relevance to philosophy.
Second, does anyone know of any related reading? I would like to follow up on these ideas.

MOQ:

This, basically, offers a paradigm shift replacing subjective/objective with a three part system, subjective/quality/objective.
value
Premium Member

Re: Metaphysics of quality

Post by value »

ChaoticMindSays wrote: September 27th, 2010, 4:05 am This is a feed for discussing the metaphysics of quality.

https://www.moq.org/

Did you create the website yourself?

The Seventies bestseller Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values was the biggest-selling philosophy book ever. The book appears in Guinness Book of Records as the bestselling book rejected by the largest number of publishers (121). Sold 5m copies worldwide.

The Guardian mentions the following about the website:

Though a website dedicated to his ideas boasts 50,000 posts, and there have been outposts of academic interest, he is disappointed that his books have not had more mainstream attention. 'Most academic philosophers ignore it, or badmouth it quietly, and I wondered why that was. I suspect it may have something to do with my insistence that "quality" can not be defined,' he says.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2006/nov/19/fiction

--

With regard the Metaphysics of Quality. Upon first inspection it appears to be a very interesting concept.

Amazon.com writes the following about it:

The Metaphysics of Quality is a philosophy, a theory about reality. It asks questions such as what is real, what is good and what is moral, and it comes up with some surprising conclusions about our lives and existence.

As the title of Pirsig's first book, suggests, much of the MOQ has to do with a non-intellectual Zen-like view of the universe.

Yet Pirsig departs from Eastern thinking by arguing that reason and logic are just as important in seeking understanding.

Pirsig is not the first philosopher to try and bridge the gap between science and mysticism, however with the MOQ he elevates the whole debate to a new level by structuring both paradigms round a single concept -- value. Pirsig throws new light on issues such as mind and matter, the behavior of particles at the quantum level and the nature of consciousness. At the social level there is much to say about racial tension, celebrity cults and mental illness.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... 83-5848238

The Wiki site for the concept mentions the following:

The Metaphysics of Quality came to life after its creator, philosopher Robert Maynard Pirsig, spent 10 years writing a book called Lila which describes it.

However the patterns originally formed many years before the book had been written and were almost lost. This was during a period when Robert Pirsig underwent Electroconvulsive therapy due to his unrepentant persuit to the answer of the question "What is Quality?".

As he spent many years in and out of mental insitutions he channeled his energy towards the outlet of writing which resulted in a book called Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and is known as "the most widely read Philosophy book ever". In it he talks about an uncontested subject-object metaphysics which neglects the concept of Quality.

Lila, the second book by Robert Pirsig details an alternate Metaphysics called the Metaphysics of Quality or just MOQ for short.

Why it is good

The Metaphysics of Quality is good because Metaphysics is reality and reality is what is good. That's why we ask what is good in the first place. See?

The Metaphysics of Quality, or MoQ, is simply a philosophic answer to the question of what is Quality, or worth, or merit, or value, or betterness or any of the other synonyms for good. There are many possible answers but the one the MOQ gives is that you can understand Quality best if you don't subordinate it to anything else but instead subordinate everything else to it.

http://moqwiki.wikidot.com/the-metaphysics-of-quality

--

With regard the website. Many pages show a "Under construction" notice. It doesn't seem to be easy to acquire more information about the concept Metaphysics of Quality.

The Wiki site mentions the following about it:

Three metaphysical views have dominated western philosophical thinking: dualism, idealism, and physicalism. Dualism, as explained by Descartes holds that mind and matter are two different and distinct types of substances. Idealism and physicalism are both forms of monism. Idealism, exemplified by the work of Bishop George Berkeley, and implied by the work of David Hume, holds that we are not justified in believing in anything but mental qualities and minds. Accordingly, the notion of physical things apart from mental qualities is best dispensed with. Most scientists today are physicalists. This view holds that all things are physical. According to physicalism, all mental phenomena are caused by a physical brain. Physicalism is a form of reductionism that reduces all mental phenomena to physical explanations. All of three of these views have their shortcomings.

Two similar and promising metaphysical views have been developed to address the shortcomings of the main three metaphysical views of the west. These are the views of process philosophy and the metaphysics of quality. Process philosophy builds upon the work of Alfred North Whitehead. The metaphysics of quality is an independent view developed by Robert Pirsig.

http://moqwiki.wikidot.com/moq-and-philosophy

--

Can you provide more information with regard the Metaphysics of Quality being "a paradigm shift replacing subjective/objective with a three part system, subjective/quality/objective."?
3017Metaphysician

Post by 3017Metaphysician »

value wrote: July 8th, 2022, 11:27 am
ChaoticMindSays wrote: September 27th, 2010, 4:05 am This is a feed for discussing the metaphysics of quality.

https://www.moq.org/

Did you create the website yourself?

The Seventies bestseller Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values was the biggest-selling philosophy book ever. The book appears in Guinness Book of Records as the bestselling book rejected by the largest number of publishers (121). Sold 5m copies worldwide.

The Guardian mentions the following about the website:

Though a website dedicated to his ideas boasts 50,000 posts, and there have been outposts of academic interest, he is disappointed that his books have not had more mainstream attention. 'Most academic philosophers ignore it, or badmouth it quietly, and I wondered why that was. I suspect it may have something to do with my insistence that "quality" can not be defined,' he says.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2006/nov/19/fiction

--

With regard the Metaphysics of Quality. Upon first inspection it appears to be a very interesting concept.

Amazon.com writes the following about it:

The Metaphysics of Quality is a philosophy, a theory about reality. It asks questions such as what is real, what is good and what is moral, and it comes up with some surprising conclusions about our lives and existence.

As the title of Pirsig's first book, suggests, much of the MOQ has to do with a non-intellectual Zen-like view of the universe.

Yet Pirsig departs from Eastern thinking by arguing that reason and logic are just as important in seeking understanding.

Pirsig is not the first philosopher to try and bridge the gap between science and mysticism, however with the MOQ he elevates the whole debate to a new level by structuring both paradigms round a single concept -- value. Pirsig throws new light on issues such as mind and matter, the behavior of particles at the quantum level and the nature of consciousness. At the social level there is much to say about racial tension, celebrity cults and mental illness.

zen-motorcycle.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... 83-5848238

The Wiki site for the concept mentions the following:

The Metaphysics of Quality came to life after its creator, philosopher Robert Maynard Pirsig, spent 10 years writing a book called Lila which describes it.

However the patterns originally formed many years before the book had been written and were almost lost. This was during a period when Robert Pirsig underwent Electroconvulsive therapy due to his unrepentant persuit to the answer of the question "What is Quality?".

As he spent many years in and out of mental insitutions he channeled his energy towards the outlet of writing which resulted in a book called Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and is known as "the most widely read Philosophy book ever". In it he talks about an uncontested subject-object metaphysics which neglects the concept of Quality.

Lila, the second book by Robert Pirsig details an alternate Metaphysics called the Metaphysics of Quality or just MOQ for short.

Why it is good

The Metaphysics of Quality is good because Metaphysics is reality and reality is what is good. That's why we ask what is good in the first place. See?

The Metaphysics of Quality, or MoQ, is simply a philosophic answer to the question of what is Quality, or worth, or merit, or value, or betterness or any of the other synonyms for good. There are many possible answers but the one the MOQ gives is that you can understand Quality best if you don't subordinate it to anything else but instead subordinate everything else to it.

--

With regard the website. Many pages show a "Under construction" notice. It doesn't seem to be easy to acquire more information about the concept Metaphysics of Quality.

The Wiki site mentions the following about it:

Three metaphysical views have dominated western philosophical thinking: dualism, idealism, and physicalism. Dualism, as explained by Descartes holds that mind and matter are two different and distinct types of substances. Idealism and physicalism are both forms of monism. Idealism, exemplified by the work of Bishop George Berkeley, and implied by the work of David Hume, holds that we are not justified in believing in anything but mental qualities and minds. Accordingly, the notion of physical things apart from mental qualities is best dispensed with. Most scientists today are physicalists. This view holds that all things are physical. According to physicalism, all mental phenomena are caused by a physical brain. Physicalism is a form of reductionism that reduces all mental phenomena to physical explanations. All of three of these views have their shortcomings.

Two similar and promising metaphysical views have been developed to address the shortcomings of the main three metaphysical views of the west. These are the views of process philosophy and the metaphysics of quality. Process philosophy builds upon the work of Alfred North Whitehead. The metaphysics of quality is an independent view developed by Robert Pirsig.

http://moqwiki.wikidot.com/moq-and-philosophy

--

Can you provide more information with regard the Metaphysics of Quality being "a paradigm shift replacing subjective/objective with a three part system, subjective/quality/objective."?
Value!

Great question...subscribed!!!

The 'paradigm shift' is intriguing (subject--->quality [of conscious existence-Qualia]---> object). Although with respect to causation, evolution, time, the relationship between mind and matter, and other metaphysical phenomena or first principles in Being, I wonder if it should be instead: Quality/Qualia---> object---->subject.

That assumes not only 'intelligent' design of some kind, as a final cause (a 'qualitative' ultimate super-turtle or the concept of a God with some sort of intelligence), but for example, that which is outside of time causing time itself (since no one knows where Singularity originated). Or, at the risk of redundancy, that which breaths fire into the Hawking equations. Perhaps one should start with the unpacking of the concept of Quality itself(?).

Anyway, note that the initial OP/user seems to no longer exist...
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 8th, 2022, 1:42 pm Great question...subscribed!!!

The 'paradigm shift' is intriguing (subject--->quality [of conscious existence-Qualia]---> object). Although with respect to causation, evolution, time, the relationship between mind and matter, and other metaphysical phenomena or first principles in Being, I wonder if it should be instead: Quality/Qualia---> object---->subject.

That assumes not only 'intelligent' design of some kind, as a final cause (a 'qualitative' ultimate super-turtle or the concept of a God with some sort of intelligence), but for example, that which is outside of time causing time itself (since no one knows where Singularity originated). Or, at the risk of redundancy, that which breaths fire into the Hawking equations. Perhaps one should start with the unpacking of the concept of Quality itself(?).
The answers are likely to be found in his latest book Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals

Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals
Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals
https://www.amazon.com/Lila-Inquiry-Mor ... B00FUZPRNU

I wonder whether there are online references for the concept as well. Upon a first inspection of the website moq.org it seems that metaphors are used to make a point. Some examples of the Wiki site:

The introduction into Metaphysics of Quality mentions the following: "There are two basic kinds of Quality, an undefined Quality called Dynamic Quality, and a defined quality called static quality.

Static quality is further divided into four evolutionary divisions:

- Inorganic Patterns of Value
- Biological Patterns of Value
- Social Patterns of Value
- Intellectual Patterns of Value
"

Then the page of Dynamic Quality displays the following: "This page is meant to be blank"

Dynamic Quality
Dynamic Quality
Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 10-26-06 Dynamic Quality - The Metaphysics of Quality Wiki.png (5.77 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
http://moqwiki.wikidot.com/dynamic-quality

Then the page on Static Quality displays a lot of Chinese text and a list with references but then on the bottom some English information, making it appear as if the page is intended to be setup as it is.

Static Quality
Static Quality
http://moqwiki.wikidot.com/static-quality

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 8th, 2022, 1:42 pmAnyway, note that the initial OP/user seems to no longer exist...
Yes, I noticed it. His contributions and replies seem to have been intense, motivating for others and uniquely intelligible (upon a quick look at his post history, which is still available on the following URL)

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=35658 (user ChaoticMindSays)
ChaoticMindSays wrote: October 22nd, 2009, 2:40 am Felix said
it a sense of the wonder of Life. We are born with that wonder but not all of us keep it(unfortunately).
I have this sense of wonder, that is why I am a philosopher I just do not associate it with God.
It's more like... Theres so much we don't know and what we don't know is what I'm interested in. If I were to have a religion it would be philosophy. It is something I practice everyday, I always try to look at a subject from as many angels as possible. And it is something that brings me a little bit of peace because it helps me to understand things better. So it could be said that I am religious. But Buddhists are religious and don't believe in God. So religion really has little to do with a concept of God.
He created an interesting poll.

Logic is it's own fallacy.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4253
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

You seem to often mention the concept Singularity in relation to 'what breath's fire into the cosmological equations'. In the topic Must the Universe contain consciousness? you seem to argue that the Singularity is related to understanding of consciousness and quality.

"according to the Big Bang theory, the entire universe was compressed into an ∞ infinitely tiny point, a singularity."
https://www.livescience.com/what-is-singularity

What would be the theoretical ground for the idea that the Universe is a physical totality that can be compressed into a tiny point?

3017Metaphysician wrote: June 27th, 2022, 12:13 pmWhat is it that breath's fire into the Hawking equation's, I wonder?

“What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? --Stephen Hawking
3017Metaphysician wrote: June 27th, 2022, 12:45 pm Just as a commentary: I am surprised that the question of where Singularity came from, which wasn't asked, empirically or 'causally', may have been the actual cause of whether we think that the universe must contain consciousness... . In other words, scientists can find that question meaningful because nobody knows where the Singularity came from to begin with.

Asking whether the universe contains consciousness is germane to all of material existence. And that's because if we knew where Singularity came from, that question (among many) would not even need to be asked. A kind of logical necessity, one might say...so on many levels, we can't remove the questions of consciousness from any complete theory of existence.
Do you believe that understanding of the concept Singularity would provide understanding of Quality?

3017Metaphysician wrote: June 28th, 2022, 10:02 am Paul Davies, at least, briefly touches on that very import feature of consciousness (quality/Qualia), which is part of the difficulty associated with not only biological emergence (emergent properties), but with extreme or exclusive physicalism too. Neurons, atoms and molecules don't tell us about quality. He knows this. I give him credit there.

One might ask, how did the Will emerge as a fixed sense of subjective awareness, or an objective/independent 'consciousness' that breaths fire into the cosmological equations?
You say that neurons, atoms and molecules don't tell humans about quality. What about the sensible nature of those concepts? Isn't that a quality?
3017Metaphysician

value wrote: July 9th, 2022, 4:39 am
3017Metaphysician wrote: July 8th, 2022, 1:42 pm Great question...subscribed!!!

The answers are likely to be found in his latest book Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals

lila.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Lila-Inquiry-Mor ... B00FUZPRNU

I wonder whether there are online references for the concept as well. Upon a first inspection of the website moq.org it seems that metaphors are used to make a point. Some examples of the Wiki site:

The introduction into Metaphysics of Quality mentions the following: "There are two basic kinds of Quality, an undefined Quality called Dynamic Quality, and a defined quality called static quality.

Static quality is further divided into four evolutionary divisions:

- Inorganic Patterns of Value
- Biological Patterns of Value
- Social Patterns of Value
- Intellectual Patterns of Value
"

Then the page of Dynamic Quality displays the following: "This page is meant to be blank"

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 10-26-06 Dynamic Quality - The Metaphysics of Quality Wiki.png
http://moqwiki.wikidot.com/dynamic-quality

Then the page on Static Quality displays a lot of Chinese text and a list with references but then on the bottom some English information, making it appear as if the page is intended to be setup as it is.

Screenshot 2022-07-09 at 10-30-28 代做工资银行流水账单 代做贷款银行流水 代做入职银行流水账单 代做医院证明 - The Metaphysics of Quality Wiki.png
http://moqwiki.wikidot.com/static-quality

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 8th, 2022, 1:42 pmAnyway, note that the initial OP/user seems to no longer exist...
Yes, I noticed it. His contributions and replies seem to have been intense, motivating for others and uniquely intelligible (upon a quick look at his post history, which is still available on the following URL)

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=35658 (user @ChaoticMindSays)
ChaoticMindSays wrote: October 22nd, 2009, 2:40 am Felix said
it a sense of the wonder of Life. We are born with that wonder but not all of us keep it(unfortunately).
I have this sense of wonder, that is why I am a philosopher I just do not associate it with God.
It's more like... Theres so much we don't know and what we don't know is what I'm interested in. If I were to have a religion it would be philosophy. It is something I practice everyday, I always try to look at a subject from as many angels as possible. And it is something that brings me a little bit of peace because it helps me to understand things better. So it could be said that I am religious. But Buddhists are religious and don't believe in God. So religion really has little to do with a concept of God.
He created an interesting poll.

Logic is it's own fallacy.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4253
Value!

Thank you. I'll reply in two separate posts, respective to yours.

How or why are you thinking that the book about morals would capture the phenomena of conscious quality? What made you think that one should correspond to the other? I'm not disagreeing, just wanting to see how you arrived at that...

Overall, I believe Persig's philosophy is really nothing new under the sun (more on that later). For instance, he equates static quality to things-in-themselves that are fixed, intrinsic, or otherwise a priori. Much like many other properties of our conscious existence ( intuition, the Will, and a bunch more-Qualia), the static part of quality seems to involve the existential elements of consciousness that just are; like the seed that grows the plant, having all the information and genetic coding necessary to propogate the species.

Similarly, his comment about having a fixed sense of wonderment is not really novel either. In terms of both metaphysics and epistemology, the synthetic a priori is that which causes one to wonder. And existentially, it just is. We can't escape our need to ask questions about not only cause and effect and its related phenomena, but why we feel the intrinsic need to ask those kinds of questions about causation to begin with.
“Concerning matter, we have been all wrong. What we have called matter is energy, whose vibration has been so lowered as to be perceptible to the senses. There is no matter.” "Spooky Action at a Distance"
― Albert Einstein
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

value wrote: July 9th, 2022, 5:14 am Do you believe that understanding of the concept Singularity would provide understanding of Quality?

What about the sensible nature of those concepts? Isn't that a quality?
In a topic discussing MoQ, it is reasonable to expect participants to use the definition of Quality that is explained, at length, in Pirsig's two books.
Wikipedia wrote:"Quality," or "value," as described by Pirsig, cannot be defined because it empirically precedes any intellectual construction of it, namely due to the fact that quality (as Pirsig explicitly defines it) exists always as a perceptual experience before it is ever thought of descriptively or academically. Quality is the "knife-edge" of experience, found only in the present, known or at least potentially accessible to all of "us" (cf. Plato's Phaedrus, 258d). Equating it with the Tao, Pirsig postulates that Quality is the fundamental force in the universe stimulating everything from atoms to animals to evolve and incorporate ever greater levels of Quality. According to the MOQ, everything (including ideas, and matter) is a product and a result of Quality.
There's a good article here, but it's no substitute for reading the books themselves.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

ChaoticMindSays wrote: September 27th, 2010, 4:05 am MOQ: This, basically, offers a paradigm shift replacing subjective/objective with a three part system, subjective/quality/objective.
There is much discussion amongst fans of MoQ, but I don't think any of them advance the idea in your final sentence. MoQ definitely replaces our conventional, Ancient-Greek-inspired, subject-object metaphysics with something different. But I don't think it's "subjective/quality/objective"; I think it seeks to replace subject-object with something different. I think that 'something' is static and dynamic Quality, but it's many years since I read Pirsig's books, and I wouldn't want to insist that I have remembered enough to paraphrase MoQ accurately.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
3017Metaphysician

value wrote: July 9th, 2022, 5:14 am You seem to often mention the concept Singularity in relation to 'what breath's fire into the cosmological equations'. In the topic Must the Universe contain consciousness? you seem to argue that the Singularity is related to understanding of consciousness and quality.

"according to the Big Bang theory, the entire universe was compressed into an ∞ infinitely tiny point, a singularity."

What would be the theoretical ground for the idea that the Universe is a physical totality that can be compressed into a tiny point?

3017Metaphysician wrote: June 27th, 2022, 12:13 pmWhat is it that breath's fire into the Hawking equation's, I wonder?

“What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe? --Stephen Hawking
3017Metaphysician wrote: June 27th, 2022, 12:45 pm Just as a commentary: I am surprised that the question of where Singularity came from, which wasn't asked, empirically or 'causally', may have been the actual cause of whether we think that the universe must contain consciousness... . In other words, scientists can find that question meaningful because nobody knows where the Singularity came from to begin with.

Asking whether the universe contains consciousness is germane to all of material existence. And that's because if we knew where Singularity came from, that question (among many) would not even need to be asked. A kind of logical necessity, one might say...so on many levels, we can't remove the questions of consciousness from any complete theory of existence.
Do you believe that understanding of the concept Singularity would provide understanding of Quality?

3017Metaphysician wrote: June 28th, 2022, 10:02 am Paul Davies, at least, briefly touches on that very import feature of consciousness (quality/Qualia), which is part of the difficulty associated with not only biological emergence (emergent properties), but with extreme or exclusive physicalism too. Neurons, atoms and molecules don't tell us about quality. He knows this. I give him credit there.

One might ask, how did the Will emerge as a fixed sense of subjective awareness, or an objective/independent 'consciousness' that breaths fire into the cosmological equations?
You say that neurons, atoms and molecules don't tell humans about quality. What about the sensible nature of those concepts? Isn't that a quality?
Part two, Re: undefined quality

Firstly, my interpretation of 'undefined quality' is simply Qualia. If being ''undefined" means meta-physical, then I would take no exceptions.

Second, I want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to consolidae the various threads that touch on the phenomen of quality (v. materialistic/physical quantity) when we talk consciousness. Although quantitative-physical thinking presents its own paradox (math itself is abstract and metaphysical), qualitative thinking obviously is the opposing feature of the mind that relates to Being; human sentience purpose, meaning, the will, and many other so-called anthropic human conditions of self-awareness, all necessary for making physical matter more suitable for biological life forms and their existence. Certainly, for example, the complexity of consciousness in the way of how the conscious mind, subconscious and even unconscious states of Being function, still can't be explained using logic (formal logic) or pure reason. It's funny, a mind that is pseudo-capable of pure reason (mathematics/logico-deductive reasoning), can't seem to figure out its own nature of existence (consciousness) using that same sense of reason. Quite ironic, I must say (?).

Anyway. You asked about Singularity. Sussinctly, the reason I posited that question/answer was relative the the nature of reality (metaphysics). Meaning, if we knew were Singularity actually came from or originated ex nihilo, metaphysical things like space-time, the relationship between mind and matter, the purpose of the universe, how our sense data/observations relates to reality, and the existence of the [free] Will, would more than likely make most of those quesions irrelevent. We would theoretically already know about those.

The last point about the Will itself (which again, is a Quality of consciousness) that somehow breathes fire into the equasions, is more of a synthetic judgement or metaphysical philosophy about causation ex nihilo. I suppose if Stephen Hawking couldn't figure it all out, that kinda says something... . (He, like many other physicists grappled with the idea of intergrating both relativity and QM for a theory of everything.) To this end, do you think there is any cooresponding phenomena that somehow integrates or provides for a synthesis of both quality/quantity, materialism/immaterialism, physical/metaphysical?

Short of that, feel free to help unpack the meaning of Quality itself and why it might be important?
― Albert Einstein
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 9th, 2022, 10:06 am
value wrote: July 9th, 2022, 5:14 am Do you believe that understanding of the concept Singularity would provide understanding of Quality?

What about the sensible nature of those concepts? Isn't that a quality?
In a topic discussing MoQ, it is reasonable to expect participants to use the definition of Quality that is explained, at length, in Pirsig's two books.
Wikipedia wrote:"Quality," or "value," as described by Pirsig, cannot be defined because it empirically precedes any intellectual construction of it, namely due to the fact that quality (as Pirsig explicitly defines it) exists always as a perceptual experience before it is ever thought of descriptively or academically. Quality is the "knife-edge" of experience, found only in the present, known or at least potentially accessible to all of "us" (cf. Plato's Phaedrus, 258d). Equating it with the Tao, Pirsig postulates that Quality is the fundamental force in the universe stimulating everything from atoms to animals to evolve and incorporate ever greater levels of Quality. According to the MOQ, everything (including ideas, and matter) is a product and a result of Quality.
There's a good article here, but it's no substitute for reading the books themselves.
Thank you for the information! That description of Quality seems to be interesting but it would still apply to neurons, atoms and molecules, as is mentioned in the quote from Wikipedia.

The books have been added to the todo list.

Did you read both books?
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 9th, 2022, 9:43 amHow or why are you thinking that the book about morals would capture the phenomena of conscious quality? What made you think that one should correspond to the other? I'm not disagreeing, just wanting to see how you arrived at that...
The Wiki page mentions the following:

"The Metaphysics of Quality came to life after its creator, Robert Maynard Pirsig, spent 10 years writing a book called Lila which describes it.

"

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 9th, 2022, 9:43 am Overall, I believe Persig's philosophy is really nothing new under the sun (more on that later). For instance, he equates static quality to things-in-themselves that are fixed, intrinsic, or otherwise a priori. Much like many other properties of our conscious existence ( intuition, the Will, and a bunch more-Qualia), the static part of quality seems to involve the existential elements of consciousness that just are; like the seed that grows the plant, having all the information and genetic coding necessary to propogate the species.

Similarly, his comment about having a fixed sense of wonderment is not really novel either. In terms of both metaphysics and epistemology, the synthetic a priori is that which causes one to wonder. And existentially, it just is. We can't escape our need to ask questions about not only cause and effect and its related phenomena, but why we feel the intrinsic need to ask those kinds of questions about causation to begin with.
The comment is from the OP user. I am not certain whether it was the account of Robert Pirsig himself. It may be interesting to investigate it. His posts did seem to be interesting.

Robert Pirsig is said to have had an IQ of 170.

The idea of Quality as "the "knife-edge" of experience, found only in the present, known or at least potentially accessible to all of "us"" seems to be interesting.
3017Metaphysician

value wrote: July 10th, 2022, 9:55 am
3017Metaphysician wrote: July 9th, 2022, 9:43 amHow or why are you thinking that the book about morals would capture the phenomena of conscious quality? What made you think that one should correspond to the other? I'm not disagreeing, just wanting to see how you arrived at that...
The Wiki page mentions the following:

"The Metaphysics of Quality came to life after its creator, Robert Maynard Pirsig, spent 10 years writing a book called Lila which describes it.

"

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 9th, 2022, 9:43 am Overall, I believe Persig's philosophy is really nothing new under the sun (more on that later). For instance, he equates static quality to things-in-themselves that are fixed, intrinsic, or otherwise a priori. Much like many other properties of our conscious existence ( intuition, the Will, and a bunch more-Qualia), the static part of quality seems to involve the existential elements of consciousness that just are; like the seed that grows the plant, having all the information and genetic coding necessary to propogate the species.

The comment is from the OP user. I am not certain whether it was the account of Robert Pirsig himself. It may be interesting to investigate it. His posts did seem to be interesting.

Robert Pirsig is said to have had an IQ of 170.

The idea of Quality as "the "knife-edge" of experience, found only in the present, known or at least potentially accessible to all of "us"" seems to be interesting.
Consciousness:

Quantity= materialism, physical-ism, etc..

Quality= immaterialism, metaphysical-ism, etc..

Thoughts?
― Albert Einstein
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: July 9th, 2022, 10:06 am In a topic discussing MoQ, it is reasonable to expect participants to use the definition of Quality that is explained, at length, in Pirsig's two books.
Pattern-chaser wrote: July 9th, 2022, 10:06 am There's a good article here, but it's no substitute for reading the books themselves.
value wrote: July 10th, 2022, 9:51 am Thank you for the information! That description of Quality seems to be interesting...

The books have been added to the todo list.

Did you read both books?
Yes, soon after they were published, and several times since then.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
value
Premium Member

Post by value »

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 9th, 2022, 10:37 amIt's funny, a mind that is pseudo-capable of pure reason (mathematics/logico-deductive reasoning), can't seem to figure out its own nature of existence (consciousness) using that same sense of reason. Quite ironic, I must say (?).
Do you have a proposal for an explanation? Does the sense that it's funny indicate that you have a sense of understanding of the reason why?

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 9th, 2022, 10:37 amAnyway. You asked about Singularity. Sussinctly, the reason I posited that question/answer was relative the the nature of reality (metaphysics). Meaning, if we knew were Singularity actually came from or originated ex nihilo, metaphysical things like space-time, the relationship between mind and matter, the purpose of the universe, how our sense data/observations relates to reality, and the existence of the [free] Will, would more than likely make most of those quesions irrelevent. We would theoretically already know about those.
When it concerns the idea of a Singularity, it appears that it concerns the question whether mathematical infinity (a potential infinity) can be applicable to reality, which would be an absurd idea in my opinion.

A Singularity is a purely mathematical 'infinitely' dense point in space-time. LiveScience mentions the following about it:

These singularities don't represent something physical. Rather, when they appear in mathematics, they are telling us that our theories of physics are breaking down, and we need to replace them with a better understanding.

Infinity cannot be counted so the idea of mathematical infinity to be applicable to reality is absurd. Mathematical infinity is merely a potential infinity that is dependent on a begin that is introduced by the mathematician (an observer).

Actual infinity would be beginning-less of nature and there mathematics would not apply.

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 9th, 2022, 10:37 amThe last point about the Will itself (which again, is a Quality of consciousness) that somehow breathes fire into the equasions, is more of a synthetic judgement or metaphysical philosophy about causation ex nihilo. I suppose if Stephen Hawking couldn't figure it all out, that kinda says something... . (He, like many other physicists grappled with the idea of intergrating both relativity and QM for a theory of everything.) To this end, do you think there is any cooresponding phenomena that somehow integrates or provides for a synthesis of both quality/quantity, materialism/immaterialism, physical/metaphysical?
Do you have a suggestion?

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 9th, 2022, 10:37 amShort of that, feel free to help unpack the meaning of Quality itself and why it might be important?
I would have to read the books first.
3017Metaphysician

value wrote: July 10th, 2022, 2:08 pm
3017Metaphysician wrote: July 9th, 2022, 10:37 amIt's funny, a mind that is pseudo-capable of pure reason (mathematics/logico-deductive reasoning), can't seem to figure out its own nature of existence (consciousness) using that same sense of reason. Quite ironic, I must say (?).
Do you have a proposal for an explanation? Does the sense that it's funny indicate that you have a sense of understanding of the reason why?

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 9th, 2022, 10:37 amAnyway. You asked about Singularity. Sussinctly, the reason I posited that question/answer was relative the the nature of reality (metaphysics). Meaning, if we knew were Singularity actually came from or originated ex nihilo, metaphysical things like space-time, the relationship between mind and matter, the purpose of the universe, how our sense data/observations relates to reality, and the existence of the [free] Will, would more than likely make most of those quesions irrelevent. We would theoretically already know about those.
When it concerns the idea of a Singularity, it appears that it concerns the question whether mathematical infinity (a potential infinity) can be applicable to reality, which would be an absurd idea in my opinion.

A Singularity is a purely mathematical 'infinitely' dense point in space-time. LiveScience mentions the following about it:

These singularities don't represent something physical. Rather, when they appear in mathematics, they are telling us that our theories of physics are breaking down, and we need to replace them with a better understanding.

Infinity cannot be counted so the idea of mathematical infinity to be applicable to reality is absurd. Mathematical infinity is merely a potential infinity that is dependent on a begin that is introduced by the mathematician (an observer).

Actual infinity would be beginning-less of nature and there mathematics would not apply.

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 9th, 2022, 10:37 amThe last point about the Will itself (which again, is a Quality of consciousness) that somehow breathes fire into the equasions, is more of a synthetic judgement or metaphysical philosophy about causation ex nihilo. I suppose if Stephen Hawking couldn't figure it all out, that kinda says something... . (He, like many other physicists grappled with the idea of intergrating both relativity and QM for a theory of everything.) To this end, do you think there is any cooresponding phenomena that somehow integrates or provides for a synthesis of both quality/quantity, materialism/immaterialism, physical/metaphysical?
Do you have a suggestion?

3017Metaphysician wrote: July 9th, 2022, 10:37 amShort of that, feel free to help unpack the meaning of Quality itself and why it might be important?
I would have to read the books first.
With respect to a proposed explaination, one theory is that there exists a cosmic super-turtle resulting from logical necessity. You know, kind of like the logico-deductive reasoning from the ontological argument.

In your opinion then, are you thinking that infinity is like time (temporal time v. eternal time)?

Yes , thank you for asking, my suggestion would be to maybe parse the difference between quality and quantity. For instance:

Quantity= materialism, physical-ism, etc..

Quality= immaterialism, metaphysical-ism, etc..

Thoughts?
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream