Is faith synonymous with self-delusion?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Invictus_88

Re: Re:

Post by Invictus_88 »

CatchyTitle wrote:
TheThinkingMan wrote:Faith is intellectual suicide.
Well said, and so true.
Just because it's pithy doesn't mean it's true.
dparrott

Post by dparrott »

CatchyTitle wrote:
TheThinkingMan wrote:Faith is intellectual suicide.
Well said, and so true.
Only if you don't have any would you view it in this manner.
CatchyTitle

Post by CatchyTitle »

Invictus_88 wrote:
CatchyTitle wrote: Well said, and so true.
Just because it's pithy doesn't mean it's true.
When the 'faith' in question (faith in a God, creationism, life after death, etc) is based upon a complete absence of evidence, in favour of something no more concrete than a 'hunch', I would certainly consider it anti-intellectual, especially when this 'hunch' is treated with more value than actual, corroborated evidence provided by experts within particular fields of knowledge.

As an example, do you place more credence in the story of Noah's Arc than you do in the archaeologists and palaeontologists who've found very contradictory evidence?

When you fill in the gaps of human knowledge with your own personal, and collective desires, you are reducing your ability to think for yourself, along with stripping away essential human traits such as inquisitiveness and reasoning.

Just look to muslim children, who're forced to memorise and recite the Koran verbatim by the age of 8 years old, despite the fact that they (understandably) do not grasp the concepts.

-- Updated April 2nd, 2012, 10:39 am to add the following --
dparrott wrote:
CatchyTitle wrote: Well said, and so true.
Only if you don't have any would you view it in this manner.
See previous point :lol:
dparrott

Post by dparrott »

CatchyTitle wrote:
Invictus_88 wrote: Just because it's pithy doesn't mean it's true.
When the 'faith' in question (faith in a God, creationism, life after death, etc) is based upon a complete absence of evidence, in favour of something no more concrete than a 'hunch', I would certainly consider it anti-intellectual, especially when this 'hunch' is treated with more value than actual, corroborated evidence provided by experts within particular fields of knowledge.

As an example, do you place more credence in the story of Noah's Arc than you do in the archaeologists and palaeontologists who've found very contradictory evidence?

When you fill in the gaps of human knowledge with your own personal, and collective desires, you are reducing your ability to think for yourself, along with stripping away essential human traits such as inquisitiveness and reasoning.

Just look to muslim children, who're forced to memorise and recite the Koran verbatim by the age of 8 years old, despite the fact that they (understandably) do not grasp the concepts.
So you are saying "only believe something if there is evidence to back it up,"? How much evidence do you need before you can believe something? Do you need evidence to not believe something?
CatchyTitle

Post by CatchyTitle »

dparrott wrote:
CatchyTitle wrote: When the 'faith' in question (faith in a God, creationism, life after death, etc) is based upon a complete absence of evidence, in favour of something no more concrete than a 'hunch', I would certainly consider it anti-intellectual, especially when this 'hunch' is treated with more value than actual, corroborated evidence provided by experts within particular fields of knowledge.

So you are saying "only believe something if there is evidence to back it up,"? How much evidence do you need before you can believe something? Do you need evidence to not believe something?
Too often faith is not tempered with sensibility, or swallowed whole rather than taken with a pinch of salt. Science, too, is guilty of making bold statements which can later be proven false, just as theism/religion is.

What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't be too eager to believe in something simply because it comforts you, such as living on after clinical death, or being the child of a being which created the whole universe as a playground just for your species. Always be wary of concepts that sound too good to be true, or which tap into the collective fears and desires of an entire species, and always try to be your own judge of what is and isn't real, not just a follower of someone else's word. Don't take my word for it either.

How much evidence? when we're talking about wild claims such as living after death, or the universe being created in 7 days, or man being formed from a rib? Quite a lot, actually. The grander the claim, the more evidence that should be required. That's my biggest bug-bear with theism - the fact that many people, such as the muslim community in general, have never actually questioned their beliefs. This is tantamount to delusion on an individual and societal scale.

How much evidence to disbelieve? When contradictory evidence greater than that you already have emerges, it's time to revise the belief. This tends not to happen in religion, leaving people clinging to their beliefs in a stance of self-defence, for fear that they may be wrong.

I don't believe that religious people can ever be turned around, such is the indoctrination and the need of their own personal desires over the harshness of reality. In a way, I suppose I shouldn't be trying, for in taking away a person's crutch, you are leaving behind a unstable person.

No disrespect intended, dparrot.
Fanman

Re: Is faith synonymous with self-delusion?

Post by Fanman »

CatchyTitle,

You are obviously anti-theism. I feel that you should at least get some of your facts straight though. God made the world / earth in 7 days; not the universe. He also made woman (Eve), from the rib of a man (Adam). It becomes alot more plausible to the mind if you get those facts straight i.e. it is more reasonable to believe that God made the world in 7 days than he made the entire universe in 7 days.

Also, I think that it requires complete scepticism and denial to believe that the universe and all of existence was created by chance, therefore making chance capable of making decisions and having the power of creation, if you believe in evolution and natural selection.

Atheists therefore make chance their god, and have faith in chance, that chance is the reason we exist. How is having faith in chance, any different from having faith in God? What evidence is there to suggest that chance created the universe?
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
Invictus_88

Post by Invictus_88 »

CatchyTitle wrote:
Invictus_88 wrote: Just because it's pithy doesn't mean it's true.

...whoa, sorry. I didn't intend for you to go off on a wild tangent there, go steady eh?

If you want to make a legitimate philosophical point, you'll have to address 'faith' rather than your personal prejudices. An inaccurate rant about religion does not constitute a philosophical point.

Edit: Fanman, you could have added the correction that there is no obligation for any Muslim, let alone a child, to become a hafiz.
CatchyTitle

Post by CatchyTitle »

Fanman wrote:CatchyTitle,

You are obviously anti-theism. I feel that you should at least get some of your facts straight though. God made the world / earth in 7 days; not the universe. He also made woman (Eve), from the rib of a man (Adam). It becomes alot more plausible to the mind if you get those facts straight i.e. it is more reasonable to believe that God made the world in 7 days than he made the entire universe in 7 days.

Also, I think that it requires complete scepticism and denial to believe that the universe and all of existence was created by chance, therefore making chance capable of making decisions and having the power of creation, if you believe in evolution and natural selection.

Atheists therefore make chance their god, and have faith in chance, that chance is the reason we exist. How is having faith in chance, any different from having faith in God? What evidence is there to suggest that chance created the universe?
Oh, so God made just the world in 7 days? Well, isn't that far more plausible :lol: And a woman from the rib of a man, but of course :lol: If you actually believe this, you will believe anything.

And life was not made by chance, as all theists consistently get wrong, but by a long and painstaking process of adaptation to the environment. Perhaps you should look at getting your own facts straight.

Why don't you actually google the formation of the universe, Earth, and the process of evolution yourself rather than ask me to explain it all to you. I'd imagine you'll still cling to the more pleasing dogma of religion, however much evidence contradicts it, for it's much easier to believe a soft lie than a harsh truth.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

CatchyTitle,

you wrote:
And life was not made by chance, as all theists consistently get wrong, but by a long and painstaking process of adaptation to the environment. Perhaps you should look at getting your own facts straight
That the the environment 'settled' in the exact conditions and positions that were suitable for life to develop was what? Logic tells us that it had to be either chance or intention. There is no third option that I am aware of. How would you rationalise / explain it?
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Fanman wrote:CatchyTitle,

you wrote:
And life was not made by chance, as all theists consistently get wrong, but by a long and painstaking process of adaptation to the environment. Perhaps you should look at getting your own facts straight
That the the environment 'settled' in the exact conditions and positions that were suitable for life to develop was what? Logic tells us that it had to be either chance or intention. There is no third option that I am aware of. How would you rationalise / explain it?
So why would god create the universe in billions of years but create the earth in seven days. What did the solar system look like before the Earth was created? Was there a gap between mars and Venus waiting for the magic of god to muster the earth from I dont know where. Why would your god act within the frame work of nature for billions of years and then suddenly turn to magic? All the Earth, all the oceans, all the mountains, rivers and streams. All life just in seven days. O I remember there was no light. What was the sun doing? switched of was it. till god found the switch? The reasoning of the fundamentalist has me giddy.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Xris, did I say that it took God billions of years to create the universe? No I didn't you said that. Then you attacked that (your own) supposition. I have faith that God created the world in 7 days, if you think that makes me a fundamentalist then so be it.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Fanman wrote:Xris, did I say that it took God billions of years to create the universe? No I didn't you said that. Then you attacked that (your own) supposition. I have faith that God created the world in 7 days, if you think that makes me a fundamentalist then so be it.
So how long did it take to create the universe? You honestly do not see yourself as a fundamentalist? How strange.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Xris, there is no record of how long it took God to create the universe in the bible. Also, in another thread you stated that I was "far removed" from the teachings of Christ, and now, in this thread you're calling me a fundamentalist? Which is it going to be, make up your mind.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Fanman wrote:Xris, there is no record of how long it took God to create the universe in the bible. Also, in another thread you stated that I was "far removed" from the teachings of Christ, and now, in this thread you're calling me a fundamentalist? Which is it going to be, make up your mind.
How are the two not connected. You keep to the letter of the bible and believe everything but are incapable of extracting the message of the man Jesus. You can not differentiate between myth and man.

You want to use the evidence of science to prove an engineered universe but refuse to accept it conclusions.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Xris, I believe that Jesus Christ is God, not that he was 'only' a man, that is your belief not mine. There's nothing wrong with theists using scientific or physical methods to discuss the existence of God, that is what creationists do, who are theists after all.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream