A simple argument for the existence of mathematical objects

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Prismatic
Favorite Philosopher: John Stuart Mill

Re: A simple argument for the existence of mathematical obje

Post by Prismatic »

The quote was not mine, but quoted from the message I was replying to. As far as I can see it is all nonsense.
Everywhere I have sought peace and never found it except in a corner with a book. —Thomas à Kempis
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

I have no argument with Prismatic’s statement that, " Singularity is a point at which a function can take no value such as the function 1/x when x = 0. As such a singularity has no numerical value whatever.”

Tibbir wrote;

Pure mathematics does not exist in the physical world it exists in the ephemeral world of thoughts and ideas, what I call logical existence, the world of words. So of course you can not measure 0 in time or space because it does not exist there it is just an idea.

I say that Pure Math does exist and is based upon a Pure, an Absolute, Singularity; O/1, Zero—O and One-1 being such a singularity.

I say that Singularity is an Individuality, an Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularity (the term Infinite as used meaning unlimited or immeasurable in extent of space, duration of time, etc.: the INFINITE Nature of Nothingness) that a Singularity of Zero—O being a Real Whole Number has Physical Existence.

My arguments is that a singularity does exist; a Singularity being an individuality, an Indivisible Singularity; that the numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, ect., do not exist.

The motion of a Singularity alone in the Emptiness of Time and Space, being meaningless has no Function; the Motion of a Singularity alone in the Emptiness of Time and Space being Static, existing without displacement, without angular momentum, without velocity of speed and direction, exists as motionless motion, Boundlessness Randomness; the accurate measurement as to Location and Momentum in Time and Space of a Singularity being Immeasurable, rendering the existence of a Pure, an Absolute, a minute, an Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularity having no relative value, a numerical value of Zero—O, Uncertain.

I have no interest in the Indeterminacy of a Singularity, the existence or the non-existence of a Pure, an Absolute, Singularity, a Singularity of Zero--O.

My interest is limited to the Uncertainty of physical existence of a Singularity of Zero--O.

I say that the Universe, the Reality of Everything is born of Singularity; not a Single Singularity but a State of Singularity, the Quantum State of Singularity, a Steady, Static, State of Singularity, consisting of an Untold, an Infinite Number of Infinitely Finite, Indivisible Singularities; None having relative numerical value, each having a Numerical value of Zero—O.

O/1, before 1 issued forth, was thrust into the LIme Light, as the Realty of First Cause, the uncaused Cause, becoming the First in a series, the beginning of a continuum such as Space-Time, the beginning of a process such as the Evolutionary Process; O/1 being the same, Equal, each being a Minute, an Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularity having no relative, numerical value, having a numerical value of Zero—O; A Singularity not being subject to the Relativity of Time and Space, Cause and Effect; the existence of a Singularity being Everlasting, Eternal.

I will stop here and ask if this makes any sense before I continue.

Hermes Trismegistus, Lord of the Ring, Keeper of the Holy Grail, the seed of all Living things---O. Ye, Amen Ra!
Tibbir
Favorite Philosopher: Jesus

Post by Tibbir »

I am not sure I understand you.

As a singularity are you speak for instance of a black hole or 1/0.

I was certainly not implying pure mathematics does not exist. It is just that I have this impression that what we sense as a physical world is really abstract but I understand the physical world to be a subset of mathematics not the whole of mathematics. In logical existence there are no physical laws it is limitless you can do anything in your dreams. In our experience of the physical laws there are very mathematical limits.

I supect what we feel is not the whole of mathematics or every possible word, which is why I make a distinction between logical and physical existence.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

Singularity, O/1, these two being the same, of a Single Source, Origin, differ in name, meaning, relative, numerical value, in the Way, the Spirit, the Nature of Motion, as a Singularity of Zer--O is thrust into, issues forth into the lime light, is Alchemically Transfigure into a Singularity having greater relative, numerical value, a numerical value of One-1; a Singularity of Zero-O actually having less than little relative value, having a numerical value of Zero--O, having no function other than taking up Space, than being a place holder; the function of One—1, being that it is the first in a series, the beginning of continuum such as Space-Time, the beginning of a process such as the Evolutionary Process, the Function of a Singularity of One-1, being an affect, being without cause, is that of the Reality of First Cause, the beginning of our System of Chaos, the deterministic Way, the Spirit, the Single True Nature of Motion of a Singularity of One--!, the Displacement of a Singularity of Zero-O, One-1, the Reality of First Cause having angular momentum, velocity of speed and direction, meaning that the Existence of a Singularity of One-1 is Certain!
Mmfiore
Favorite Philosopher: Einstein

Post by Mmfiore »

Interesting topic. I think that the question of whether mathematical objects exist is a good question. Where we go wrong with mathematics is when we choose to believe that some mathematical object represents something in reality that does not exist or we choose a formulation that does not truly represent physical reality. This is a real problem in physics right now.
Gulnara

Post by Gulnara »

Word "numbers" could be deciphered as "name bearers". We take an object and name it, then we take a group of objects and name each group. I could call a representative of one person " Mars" and two of Marses I would call " Venus", while three of Marses or one Mars and Venus I'd call Yesus. In my problem Mars plus Venus equals Yesus. 1+2=3 That's it, that simple. Very approximate, of course, because each of representatives of human are different people in many ways. Be them apples, they are different too, but for rough work of counting and haphazard planning it might work, it works. There are other measures of people, of course: one person can be worth a thousand people due to his importance. 1=1000.
Prismatic

Post by Prismatic »

Gulnara wrote:Word "numbers" could be deciphered as "name bearers". We take an object and name it, then we take a group of objects and name each group. I could call a representative of one person " Mars" and two of Marses I would call " Venus", while three of Marses or one Mars and Venus I'd call Yesus. In my problem Mars plus Venus equals Yesus. 1+2=3 That's it, that simple. Very approximate, of course, because each of representatives of human are different people in many ways. Be them apples, they are different too, but for rough work of counting and haphazard planning it might work, it works. There are other measures of people, of course: one person can be worth a thousand people due to his importance. 1=1000.
In philosophy it's called "theory of reference" and it has been studied extensively. There is a nice article in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy on theory of meaning which discusses it.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/meaning/
Everywhere I have sought peace and never found it except in a corner with a book. —Thomas à Kempis
Gulnara

Post by Gulnara »

Prismatic wrote:
I imagine a race of six-legged humanoids in a distant galaxy who don’t consider us “human” so you still have to attach conditions. Lawsuits have been conducted and won on the basis of such apparent absurdities.
If you wish to justify that the statement all humans have six legs is "true to some extent," you need to do better than that. The statement is false if there is a single human who doesn't have six legs. Given your penchant for spontaneity, I am reluctant to suggest you yourself as a useful exemplar of standard human anatomy, but count your lower limbs immediately without fail and report back to us.
This is where problem is: standards, generalizations. People separate people from everything else, they turn them into symbols, while some person can have six legs, and another zero legs, making them hardly standard objects to count. yet, this abstract insanity prevails,often to a point of real life having to be adjusted to the abstract calculations of the abstract objects. That is how far we are from the truth about ourselves, that is why we can not know winning lottery numbers; we do not have a hold on reality.
Prismatic

Post by Prismatic »

Gulnara wrote:

That is how far we are from the truth about ourselves, that is why we can not know winning lottery numbers; we do not have a hold on reality.
Of course I may be absolutely wrong, but I have a suspicion the reason we do not know which numbers will win the lottery is that they are chosen at random.
Gulnara

Post by Gulnara »

I think, Pris, ( I am not yelling :)), that we simply are so primitive with our math, that it does not allow us to calculate what numbers will be winning. If we could, there would be no lottery game in existence. This "random" thing, it is, probably, a result of math being so incurably abstract, that it does not read real reality, but rather strives to recreate real reality to fit mathematical formulas. How can math, which is itself based on a randomness of everything, of our existence, claim that it can not know random? Or it is solid knowledge that knows everything, or it is random knowledge that can not create some super random, claiming it itself is sort of central truth. I understand, you are mathematician, and my words might sound hard for you, but my excuse is that this is philosophy forum, or may be because I am not a number, and not average, standard person. :)

I think we call "random" that which beyond our knowledge or ability to see, or calculate, but " random" should not be treated as an excuse to quit figuring, as proven insolubility. Sometimes the change of tool can do the trick.
Prismatic

Post by Prismatic »

Gulnara wrote:
I think, Pris, ( I am not yelling :)), that we simply are so primitive with our math, that it does not allow us to calculate what numbers will be winning.
And I am pointing out that your reasoning is incorrect because lottery numbers are chosen at random and are therefore beyond the reach of any calculation no matter how sophisticated.

If you go to Monte Carlo you will see in the salon ordinaire dozens of gamblers recording every play of the roulette wheel, convinced there must be a hidden pattern which careful and patient observation will reveal to them. Year after year they sacrifice time and money to this foolish notion. They are the most faithful adherents of this church of the unwarranted assumption.
Gulnara

Post by Gulnara »

I understand that pattern of random is unreachable, because people do not have the tool, and math is not the tool. Lottery numbers are not chosen, who chose them? They are predetermined in a way misunderstood by people.The moment the numbers show up, they become known without any calculations. It is people's set up of lottery to squeeze money out of people in advance, which makes mystery out of no mystery. If money were to be paid at the last moment, nothing would be earned, or everyone would claim winning numbers, dividing the sum by million of people, thus each person earning his 1 dollar back. So, this is the great law of randomness, that we learn of it the moment it shows up? But so is the entire life.
Prismatic

Post by Prismatic »

Gulnara wrote:I understand that pattern of random is unreachable, because people do not have the tool, and math is not the tool. Lottery numbers are not chosen, who chose them? They are predetermined in a way misunderstood by people.The moment the numbers show up, they become known without any calculations. It is people's set up of lottery to squeeze money out of people in advance, which makes mystery out of no mystery. If money were to be paid at the last moment, nothing would be earned, or everyone would claim winning numbers, dividing the sum by million of people, thus each person earning his 1 dollar back. So, this is the great law of randomness, that we learn of it the moment it shows up? But so is the entire life.
You seem certain that lottery numbers are predetermined. You might tell us how you know this and by whom they are predetermined.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

Tibbir wrote;

Post Number:#63 May 7th, 2012, 9:54 am

I am not sure I understand you.

As a singularity are you speak for instance of a black hole or 1/0.

I was certainly not implying pure mathematics does not exist. It is just that I have this impression that what we sense as a physical world is really abstract but I understand the physical world to be a subset of mathematics not the whole of mathematics. In logical existence there are no physical laws it is limitless you can do anything in your dreams. In our experience of the physical laws there are very mathematical limits.

I suspect what we feel is not the whole of mathematics or every possible word, which is why I make a distinction between logical and physical existence.

Wayne wrote;

I see a Logical existence as being a Rationalization.

—Usage. Although RATIONALIZE retains its principal 19th-century senses “to make conformable to reason” and “to treat in a rational manner,” 20th-century psychology has given it the now more common meaning “to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that seem reasonable but actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious causes.” Although the possibility of ambiguity exists, the context will usually make clear which sense is intended.

Singularity is Three Fold, Trismegistus. 1. The quantum, Steady, State of Singularity, consisting of an untold quantity, number of Individualities, infinitely finite indivisible Singularities each existing in it own personal Celestial Sphere, each the center of it own Universe, World of Reality, none having relative, numerical value, none subject to the relativity of Time and Space, none subject to the relativity of cause and effect; the existence of a Singularity having no relative, numerical value, each having a numerical value of Zero—O, nada, Zip, Nothing; the Existence of said Quantum, Steady, State of Singularity being Uncertain for several reasons. a. Singularity being Infinitely Finite, is immeasurable. b. The Motion of a Singular, existing without displacement, not allowing for the accurate measurement as to Location and momentum in Time and Space.

2. The Motion of a Singularity alone in the Emptiness having a numerical value of Zero—O; an Individuality, a Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularity of Zero—O, not being subject to the Relativity of Time and Space, being born of an Affect, the State or Condition of the Quantum, Steady, State of Singularity.

3. The Reality of First Cause being the First Singularity to have relative, numerical value, to have a numerical value of One-1, to have Displacement, angular momentum, velocity of speed and directions; The Reality of First Cause being the First in a Series, the beginning of a continuum such as Space-Time, the beginning of a process such as the Evolutionary Process, being the Single direct material cause of the Physical Universe of the Physical Reality of Everything.

I could conclude that the Quantum State, the Steady State of Singularity, that the NoThingness that filled the Emptiness prior to Moment of Creation could be defined a being a Black Whole.

-- Updated May 23rd, 2012, 1:13 pm to add the following --

The selection of a Lotto number is neither random nor determined.

Numbers can not be randomly chosen simply because only objects can be randomly chose.
Gulnara

Post by Gulnara »

Prismatic wrote:
Gulnara wrote:

That is how far we are from the truth about ourselves, that is why we can not know winning lottery numbers; we do not have a hold on reality.
Of course I may be absolutely wrong, but I have a suspicion the reason we do not know which numbers will win the lottery is that they are chosen at random.
That's interesting: random does not match random, and organized does not match random ether. Organized numbers, the way we count days and months and years, can only match the same organized system, which is illusionary outcome. We do not have a hold on reality. Why? Is it because we thrust ourselves into a niche of mathematical approach in science? Or is it because reality is out of realm of predictability, comparison, planning and rational? Take lottery games: they are just cute white balls, with patches of paint on them. Forget the numbers, they could be letters, or images. Math has nothing to do with lottery numbers. No calculations or formulas apply. What applies is aerodynamics and mechanics. Since patches of paint are all different, they change character of each ball, so it makes sense to study their different characters and relationships to each other.A type of objects social studies, that's what we need to even remotely understand what happens with lottery balls. Not everything is math that has numbers on it.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream