Can we solve the mind-body problem?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.

Can we solve the mind-body problem?

No, the "hard problem" of consciousness will never be solved
22%
Yes, a future revision of science/physics will allow us to solve it
43%
Other-please specify
36%

Total votes: 87

Dionysus12

Re: Can we solve the mind-body problem?

Post by Dionysus12 »

Lagayscienza wrote: You make some interesting points, Dionysus12. I think the difficulty with emergent phenomena like consciousness is that they only emerge when all the bits that make up the necessary physical substrate are in place and working together. Take out the amygdala and we see the loss of emotions but that doesn't mean emotions are the amygdala. The emotions seem to be states of consciousness that emerge when a functioning amygdala is part of a functional brain. So does that mean the emotions are a fully functioning brain that includes an amygdala? I don't think so. Emotions are no more the brain than a car is it's speed. A particular speed is what you get when you car is in a particular state. Emotions are what you get when brains are in certain states . And consciousness is what you get when functioning brains like ours are in a universe that's in a particular state. At least that's how it seems to me. I don't think we can disentangle the brain from the universe - they are inextricably one. Maybe that's why meditation can result the feeling of oneness and the loss of self. Of course this is all just conjecture and I have no idea how this could be tested.

You seem to confirm most of the points I have made. You say we 'can't disentangle the brain from the universe'. I mentioned earlier in other related threads that we wont understand consciousness until we understand the origins of life. I have also argued elsewhere that the individual is in its own world, so on that basis I would say the brain is 'inextricably one' with it and that may be part of what drives the vital experience of oneness and loss of selfhood. To say this, however, is going off-topic.
Wayne92587
Favorite Philosopher: Hermese Trismegistus

Post by Wayne92587 »

Consciousness expresses itself as an Attitude.

The state or condition of your whole being, the relationship between the Mind and Body having a affect upon your attitude, your level of Consciousness, the way you walk about the Planet Earth, your daily routine, approach to Life.

As above so below.

Hermes Trismegistus, Lord of the Ring, Keeper of the Holy Grail.-->0

Ye, Amen RA!
Bohm2
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Bohm2 »

Useful video summarizing the topic of this thread:
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

When I meet someone, I meet a subject who has experiences, but I have no access to those experiences in the way they are experienced by the other. The experiences of the other are present for the other but absent for me, because as an individual I cannot have the experiences of another individual. I can only meet something which is not only the physiological, material organism we call 'body' but also the series of inner experiences we call 'mind' but which is foreign to me in the other. So the other has its own immanence, its mind, which no one else can see, and its transcendence, its body, which is accessible to all of us. But the mind is not “in” the body, and the body does not “have” a mind, and what is also important, the organism, for example the brain, does not produce thoughts or anything else that belongs to the sphere of the mind. In fact the body and the mind are one and the same thing considered from two ontological levels: from immanent and transcendent points of view. But although these two levels are manifestations of the same phenomenon, there is no bridge between them: we cannot explain one by the other because the basic concepts are incompatible. There are only correlations between them, and therefore the mind-body problem is not, for example, a problem of how we could reduce the phenomena of consciousness to brain events, but rather a problem of how we could translate mental and bodily events into each other.

This relation between body and mind becomes still more clear if I imagine observing my brain events at the same time as I am thinking of something: I can see my thinking process in real time in my brain and see the correlations like a moving picture of myself in a mirror, although the correlations are much more complex than in the case of a mirror image.

The question remains, why we are divided into minds and bodies. The answer lies in the existence of others. The others must be material in order to be in relation to me, and experiencing subjects in order to be on the same level of being as I am. That is the very idea of the other. But this leads off from this topic.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Bohm

Isn't the Chomsky vid just playing with words?

There's a 'problem' because our current models for how the world works, physics, doesn't seem to have a way of accounting for the phenomenal first person experience of consciousness. And it seems to be a different kind of something to all our existing categories of somethings (matter, energy, forces). 'The mind/body problem' is just a short-hand for that, pointing to the fact that we understand (in principle) how brains and bodies work, at least at a certain level of resolution which is coherent and predictable, but not how this experiential phenomenon results from those understood physical processes. If we are able one day to incorporate consciousness into our models of how the world works, we can call it physics, or mind-mechanics, or spirit, or what-ever-we-want, who cares. What we call it doesn't change the nature of the problem.

As to whether we can solve it one day, who knows. (Nobody that's who!). As we continue to explore the very large and very teeny, maybe clues will pop up. If we can make verifiable conscious machines, that's a clue. It could require the sort of paradigm shift in thinking about how the world works, the nature of reality, which happen every now and then. Or maybe we just don't have the cognitive toolkit to see the world in the necessary way for that to happen. Such shifts in thinking are sprinkled through our history tho, so...
Tamminen

Post by Tamminen »

Gertie wrote:...how this experiential phenomenon results from those understood physical processes
This is just the obsession which requires
the sort of paradigm shift in thinking about how the world works, the nature of reality, which happen every now and then.
But a paradigm shift in ontological thinking, not scientific.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

The solution to the problem is to first correctly define the problem.

The problem is that the metaphors that we use to make sense of, to understand, the terminology used to speak of the Sacred, Unknown, hidden, secret things, Unknown Realities, Realities that are not readily apparent, that are not measurable as to location and Momentum in Space-Time are an Abomination.

An Abomination is the result when ever attempt to speak of, give a name, a shape to, to give definition to Sacred nature of God; an Abomination is the result when ever we speak of any and all sacred, hidden, secret, any reality that is not readily apparent, that is not measurable as to location and Momentum in Space-Time, this would also include the Sacred knowledge of Time, Space and Motion.

Not only the is subject matter of that which is spoken of, but also the Terminology, the metaphors, the symbols, the Astrological Symbols used to speak of said subject become and abomination, a horror, perverted, distorted.

The first example being that mind and body are metaphors used in an attempt to speak of, give a name to a Reality that is not readily apparent; any Sacred Reality, secret, hidden, a Reality that is not readily apparent, is not measurable as to location and momentum in Space-Time results in an Abomination.

Everything that we think we know about many Realities is an Abomination.

Here we are confused because of the Babble we use to speak of Sacred, Secret, things.

-- Updated November 25th, 2016, 11:57 am to add the following --

Looks like we have a second chance to solve the Mind Body problem.

The first step is to forget everything you know about the mind and body, your knowledge of subject matter being an abomination.

Think of the story of Adam and Eve, Adam being "the Flesh Body", Adam being born of the dust of the ground, the evolutionary process, and Eve being a Creation born of the Side of Adam. Adam being that which is below and Eve being that which is above, born of Air, being boundless, ambiguous in nature.

Adam being a fixed experience, born of the dust of the ground.
Eve being a Creation, born of the Air, of Nothingness, not being born of the ground, is not a material, is an immaterial, ads being ambiguous, a Spiritual Reality.

When we speak of the mind and body we are actually attempting to speak of the Spiritual Body and the Flesh Body, however not only the mind and body now we speak of the abomination titled the Spirit and the Flesh, which can also be said of the First Man and the First Woman, both metaphors to speak of this sacred Knowledge of the Mind and Body.

What we are taking about is the differentiation of a Singular Entity, One that is two, one being above and the other being below.

As the One issues forth from the abyss, the One made two, the two being of the same source, singularity, the two not being separate but are no divergently different that the One, having a dual quality is give two names, Mind and Body, spirit and flesh, man and woman.

The definition of woman simply being "not Man", not a Material Being, as being a non-material, as being a spiritual Being.

The subject of this matter is not mind and body, spirit and flesh, man and woman; the subject matter is that which is above, the numerator, and that which is below, the denominator.

Try defining a Fraction, a Fractal, a Singularity having a dual quality, the numerator, that which is above and the denominator, that which is below.

Woman, that which is above and Man, the denominator being which is below, born of the dust of the Earth, the evolutionary process being born of experience.

The Subject matter is the division of the One, the two being the Logical male, the Body and the Rational mind, being a creation is the mind, the female being ambiguous.

The problem being is how do we turn the Two back into the Whole of a Single Reality.

Singularity is the solution to the problem!
Ostronomos
New Trial Member

Post by Ostronomos »

If we take the split between mind and body, where the mind is the non-material or abstract dictator of the material or concrete, in terms of conscience, ethics, truth, interpretation in the subjective or metaphysical sense (that which exists as a member of the void or nothing) beyond or unknown to the apparent reality, or the Quantum/ Classical divide, and we unite them as one under a reality of God, then the problem would inevitably cease to exist and man would unite with God because duality would become a thing of the past.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

Ostronomos
In a sense, Yes!

This division and then the unification of two has been explained many times only to fall upon death ears.

The Math of the Universe, God's Math is based upon a Singularity of Two, 0\1.

The equation representing the Theory of Everything being 0\1.

A fraction although not a whole number is a real number, is a Singularity having a dual quality, an above, the numerator and a below the denominator.
In a fraction as long as the denominator is greater that the numerator, said fraction is a proper fraction.

If the numerator becomes greater the denominator, said fraction become an improper fraction, which then must be reduced to the lowest common denominator in order to be a proper faction; as an improper fraction said fraction becomes Irrational.

Knowledge of a reality requires intercourse, an interaction with Reality, one must become familiar with said Reality, must experience said reality in order to become familiar with, in order to have knowledge of a Reality, Knowledge of reality being dependent upon an experience with said Reality.

The problem began with the differentiation of the two, that which is above and that which is below, began with the Creation of that which is above, the Rational Mind the Female ? mind.
The knowledge of Reality, logically speaking, due to our experience, is required.

The problem began with the Rational Mind becoming dominate, greater than the Logical mind which is dominated by experience.

The Rational mind being dominate resulting in Irrationality, a misconception of the Truth.

Irrationality being the problem that keeps the two divided.

This differentiation also explained in Chapter One of Tao Te Ching.

-- Updated November 25th, 2016, 8:27 pm to add the following --

From Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus.

Who it is without false hood certain and most true, that that which is above is like to that which is below and that that which is below is like to that which is above to accomplish the miracles of wondering.

-- Updated November 26th, 2016, 12:24 pm to add the following --

The Heavens and the Earth prior to the beginning of Creative Process, the Reality of Everything, existed as a Omniscient State of Quantum Singularity, existed in a different form than it did after the Beginning of Creation.

In the Beginning, the Reality of Everting exist as substance that had no mass; Pure Unadulterated Energy from which the Heavens and the Earth, the Universe, the Reality of Everything that exists in the Material sense of the Word was born of.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Isn't this just once again re-defining god to fit into the contemporary gap science hasn't filled in (yet)?

And why call it 'God'? What does that add to your description? (Unless you're also trying to piggyback in all your other god assumptions?)
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

I simply believe Mankind has sense of Realities that are not readily apparent, that is are not Measurable as to location and momentum in Space-Time, making the existence or non-existence of these Realities Uncertain, Belief being the only way accept or reject said Reality.

I believe, yes believe, that over Time that Man has taken these unknown Realities and lumped their attributes together forming of a Singularity that they belief to be God.

Science and most Religions believe that everything began with a Singularity; God being a Singularity as was the Big Bang born of a Singularity.

I also believe that the Beginning itself was a Singularity, an Omniscient State of Singularity, consisting of the omnipresence of an untold, number, Quantity, of Indivisible Singularities having no relative, numerical value.

This substance, state, or condition of Singularity having Energy but no Mass; Time, Space and Motion all existing as Singularity within the State of Singularity, being eternal, everlasting.

The Reality of everything else existing within the Omniscient Singularity consisting of Energy that has no Mass.

Energy being defined as being the Meaningless insignificant innate inner activity, motion within each Individual Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularity, being a vibration, an oscillation, causing each to make a humming sound; OHM!

-- Updated November 27th, 2016, 7:33 pm to add the following --

There is a movie playing on direct tv. call Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Man an Woman fighting for a sacred sword.
A Battle between the Spirit and the Flesh, between that which is above and that which is below.
A battle between Mind and Body for dominance.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

I dunno, gods have come in literally thousands of shapes and sizes over time, monotheism might be a relative late comer, which happens to chime more with our contemporary world view. And at this time maybe this way of talking about things we're not really equipped to get our heads round is as appropriate as any.

It doesn't chime with me personally, but then I've no clue what the scientific description of the singularity really means either. However, I feel I can rely on science not just to make stuff up and 'believe' it, so if I'm left with a mystery, that's OK.

And I do worry when people tag on loaded words like 'God', because it carries so much baggage, it's difficult not to automatically infer things like 'omniscience' as you do (suggestive of 'mind'), which have a rather different interpretation in the context you're using I think.

So if you say God is the Universe, or the Singularity, I'd rather say The Universe is The Universe, The Singularity is The Singularity.
Wayne92587

Post by Wayne92587 »

No doubt this post will need some refinement.

I am not saying that the Universe or a singularity "IS' God.

I am saying that man has a sense of Reality that is not readily apparent, is not measurable as to location and Momentum in Space-Time, has never being readily apparent, measurable as to location and momentum in
Space-Time; the latest name being "Nothingness".

Man must give a name to “whatever”, in order to speak of it, understand it, comprehend, in order for man to believe that he and she, have knowledge of what it is or is not.

Some use the idea of positive and negative to speak of what is or is not, however being interested in what this something is, I choose not to use the negative, there being to many “is not” in trying to understand what is.

The are far fewer positives that give definition to this unknown Reality.

This Unknown Reality, being given, over a period of Time, being given the name God or the name of any number of Gods, the Nothingness having many names.

To speak of, give a name to this Reality, Nothingness, the name, the identity, metaphor, Astrological, Religious, symbol in order to speak of this nothingness, to include Nothingness itself being an abomination; Damn almost forgot to include the Void; our concept of the Void being an abomination, confused.

Singularity; the God Particle, the Higgs Particles, the number of Infinitely Finite Fully Random Indivisible Singularities having no relative numerical value.

Prime numbers, the first prime number being the number "two.”
The motion of a Singularity being meaningless.

This is where Singularity becomes confused, Singularity having a dual quality, 0\1.

The Singularity of Zero-0 is meaningless because it is motionless, has no displacement, no angular momentum, no velocity of speed and direction, is not readily apparent and therefore it is as if its existence or nonexistence is Uncertain; the number Two being prime, the first number that can proven to exist, existing in part as part of series, two following one and precedes Three.

The Singularity of Zero-0 is converted into a singularity of One-1 due to a change in the nature of its motion.
A singularity of Zero-0 being transfigured, converted, reborn, being displaced, instantaneously develops velocity of speed and direction to its Angular momentum.

A Random Singularity of Zero-0 having been displaced, becomes the first Singularity of Zero-0 to have relative, a numerical value of One-1 by becoming the First in a Series, existing as the beginning of a process such as the Evolutionary Process, by becoming the beginning of a continuum such as Space-Time.

It is this first Singularity to have relative, a numerical value of One-1 that is given the name, Reality of First Cause.

This first Singularity to have relative, numerical value of One-1 became the Single direct cause of a system of Chaos, as in the Butterfly effect, that has made manifest Reality of the Heavens and the Earth, the Universe, the Reality of Everything that exists in the material sense of the word.

The Reality of First Cause itself being uncaused, being a creation, born of Random Singularity of Zero-0, having energy but no mass was an Affect.

The Nothingness of the Ether existing as the Omniscience of the Transcendental, Metaphysical, Fully Random Quantum State of Singularity filled with an untold quantity, number, of omnipresent Infinitely Finite Indivisible Singularities having no relative, numerical value, having numerical value of Zero-0.

It is this Nothingness, the Omniscience of this Transcendental, Metaphysical, Fully Random Quantum State of Singularity, filled with an omnipresent quantity of Mass-less Singularities having no Relative, Numerical Value, having a numerical value of Zero-0, filled with Energy, which clumping together as a Mass being born to be the Heavens and the Earth, the Universe, the Reality of Everything that exists in the material sense of the word.

The change in the nature of the motion, the displacement of a Random Singularity of Zero-0, motionless motion, motion having no angular momentum, no velocity of speed and direction, converting the meaningless motion of a Singularity of Zero-0 into the velocity of speed and direction of the angular momentum of the First Random Singularity of Zero-0 to transfigured, converted, to be reborn a Singularity have relative, a numerical value of One-1; the motion of a singularity of Zero-0 being an insignificant innate inner motion, existing as a vibration, an oscillation, the Singularity of Zero-0 making a Humming Sound, OHM!

Oh, yes, I almost, the Transcendental Fully Random Quantum State of Singularity, the Void in the Beginning, at the Zero-0 Hour, at the Event Horizon existed as the Transcendental Metaphysical Full Random Quantum State of Singularity.

The equation, 0\1, representing The Theory of Everything, the before and the after of Beginning.

-- Updated December 7th, 2016, 8:26 am to add the following --
"The Unified Field — the zero point vacuum of spacetime — is infinite in its energy potential. Quantum physics tells us that every quantum particle has an infinite potential of possibilities as to when and where it will manifest (and only comes into local manifestation, or "collapses the probability field", when we put our attention on it — the consciousness/energy interplay). Quantum physics also theorizes that contained within every cubic centimeter (a mere small sugar cube in size) there is an approximate energy density/mass of 1094 grams (10 with 94 zeros following it). That's 39 orders-of-magnitude more mass/energy than the entire known Universe in every cubic centimeter! Suffice it to say, when you add up all the cubic centimeters that make up the entire known Universe the total amount of energy is of such an incomprehensible magnitude we might

Newme ; If I understand you correctly, the void is essentially the space which gives us an opportunity to exist, to think and act - for us is finite - but the void as applied universally is infinite.

Wayne; the Void is more than simply being Space. The Void is Space only in the sense that that Reality exists within the Void, both Material and non-Material Reality; a non-material
Reality simply not being readily apparent.

The Reason that a non-material, an immaterial, a spiritual Reality is not readily apparent is that an Immaterial Reality has no relative, numerical value.
The motion of a material Reality is not the Same as the Motion of an Immaterial Reality.

A material Reality has displacement, angular momentum, velocity of speed and direction, an Immaterial Reality does not, having not relative, numerical value.

The Reality of the Void itself not being readily apparent, not being measurable as to location and momentum, the existence or non-existence of the Void being Uncertain.

Sprial Out;
The Void is nothing. It the absence of space, time, matter or anything else you can imagine. It's not the anti-Universe. It's not empty space. It's not a vacuum. It's nothing. We need to recognize the mind as being and non-being.

Wayne;

The Void does not exist only as an intuition of the Mind, the Knowledge of the Reality of the Void does however exist as in the subjectivity of the mind, the knowledge of the Void, is not the Reality of the Void, is born of the intuitive nature of the Rational Mind, imagination.

The Void exists whether we know of it or not.

"The Unified Field — the zero point vacuum of spacetime — is infinite in its energy potential. Quantum physics tells us that every quantum particle has an infinite potential of possibilities as to when and where it will manifest (and only comes into local manifestation, or "collapses the probability field", when we put our attention on it —
Newme ; If I understand you correctly, the void is essentially the space in which gives us an opportunity to exist, to think and act - for us is finite - but the void as applied universally is infinite.

Wayne;

There is more to the Void than simply being Space. The Void is Space only in the sense that that Reality exists within the Void, both Material and non-Material Reality; a non-material Reality simply not being readily apparent.

The Reason that a non-material, an immaterial, a spiritual Reality is not readily apparent is that an Immaterial Reality has no relative, numerical value, has no angular momentum, no displacement, not velocity of speed and direction.

The motion of a material Reality is not the same as the Motion of an Immaterial Reality.

A material Reality has displacement, angular momentum, velocity of speed and direction, an Immaterial Reality does not, having not relative, numerical value.

The Reality of the Void itself not being readily apparent, not being measurable as to location and momentum, the existence or non-existence of the Void being Uncertain.

Sprial Out;
The Void is nothing. It the absence of space, time, matter or anything else you can imagine. It's not the anti-Universe. It's not empty space. It's not a vacuum. It's nothing. We need to recognize the mind as being and non-being.

Wayne;

The Void does not exist only as an intuition of the Mind, the Knowledge of the Reality of the Void does however exist as in the subjectivity of the mind; the knowledge of the Void, is not the Reality of the Void, is born of the intuitive nature of the Rational Mind, imagination.

The Void exists whether we know of it or not.

-- Updated December 11th, 2016, 11:26 am to add the following --

The mind body problem began with the illusion that the mind and body are separate.

The Mind as it issues forth is differentiate, is two (differentiated not separated) and is given two names, mind and body.
Body Consciousness being the mortal, animal, the Spiritual Body, Soul, which is conscious only of the Material Physical World of Reality, Reality born of experienced, is born of the dust of the ground, fundament, clay.

The Immortal Soul, consciousness. Spiritual Body, is born of the Air, is a creation, has no material worth; not being readily apparent, not being measurable as to location and momentum is Space-Time.

The existence or non-existence of the Spiritual Body being “Uncertain.”
These two, the mind body complex acting as the Whole of a Single Reality is the Gateway to the manifolds secrets of the Universe.

The Spirit Body, mind, the helpmate of the Flesh Body, Consciousness, Mind, the Immortal Spirit, is actually born flawed, incomplete, is not born fully dress, is born naked, bare, is insignificant when first born, is born less effective than the Body Mind when it comes to Survival of the Most Fit, is boundless when it comes to cause and effect, the Spiritual Body being Free to do and think as it will, even if it is wrong, an Illusion of Reality.

The Flesh, animal body is Logical, bound to the World of Reality, Reality of the Sun, Ye, Amen Ra, of cause and effect, the Material World of Reality, as seen in the Light of Day; the Spiritual Body being bound by Reason, being the Rational Mind, the Body Mind being bound to the logic of Material World of Reality, Cause and Effect.

The Spiritual Body, Mind and the Flesh Body, Mind in constant conflict with the Physical the mortal Spirit, mind, Conscious for dominance over the other.

If you look at the duality of Singularity in regards to Universal, God’s, Math, a Fraction, Fractal, a Singularity having a Dual Quality, One above and One below, a numerator and a denominator; the denominator in a proper fraction being greater than the numerator.

Trough the miss use of the Rational Mind the numerator has the ability to become greater than the denominator, in which case the Singularity having a dual quality becomes Improper, Irrational; it being a rationalization, an illusion to imagine that a Singularity having a dual quality can function properly when the numerator is greater than the denominator; Evil, Insanity being born of Illusion, Irrationality.

From the Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus.

Who it is without false hood (Illusion) certain and most true, that that which is above is like to that which is below and that that which is below is like to that which is above to accomplish the miracles of wondering.

-- Updated January 31st, 2017, 9:44 am to add the following --

"Can we solve the mind-body problem?"

"Yes", but first you must understand, have knowledge as to the nature of the cause of the Separation of Mind and Body.

The Mind Body problem is born of Guilefulness, Deception, is an Illusion of Reality, is a Creation, is an original product of the Mind, is an Illusion of Reality.

There is a differentiation between the mind and Body but the separation of the mind and body is an Illusion, is a creation, is an original product of the mind, the Imagination, is produced by the Rationalizations of the Mind.

Caution, “Be Ware”, LOOK\OUT!!!, the following information, is Secret, Hidden, Scared, Forbidden, Knowledge of something you will probably not be able to understand the message.

The Primary Number relative to the Salvation of Mankind is "Two".

Twice Light, Twilight, the Second Great Light that was separated out from in between the Light and the Darkness, Day and Night, The Twilight is the most beautiful Time of Day, dust and dawn.

When it comes to the most important number in the series of events, the Prime number that that add up to the Evolution of the Nature of Man, of the Psychic of Mankind it is not Zero, is not One-1, it is Two, a Singularity having a dual quality.

It is Mankind’s second Nature, his and her Spiritual Being that leads to Mankind’s, his and her Salvation, Mankind’s first sign of hope.

In the Beginning; The Primary number when it comes to Mankind’s, his, and her, salvation, is a Singularity having a dual quality, the Combination of both Man’s First and Second Nature which are Naturally differentiated , but impossible to separate.

The Two as One, the whole being greater that the sum total of the two acting as Two separated individual Singularities.

When it comes to the most important, the primary number, as to the nature of Man, in Mankind’s, his and her, The First, the Beginning, the beginning to evolutionary of Man's, Mankind's, the nature, of his and her, Psychic, Lays in reunification of Flesh Body and the Spiritual Body, the Mind and Body.

Man’s Flesh Body along, in combination, with the Spiritual Body, the Mind and Body acting as One-1.

The number of Man’s Primary Nature is Two, is that of a Singularity having a dual quality, there being a differentiation but not separation of the Mind and Body.

It is muy importante that the consciousness of Man, Mankind, He and She, become the two that act as One, become the One that is Two, lays in the unification of the, Flesh Body and Spirituality Body, of the Mind and Body.

Hermes Trismegistus, Lord of King Solomon’s Ring, Keeper of the Holy Grail--->0

Ye, so be it, Amen Ra, I am, make it So!!

-- Updated January 31st, 2017, 10:07 am to add the following --

The Mind Body Problem; The separation of the Mind and the Body, Spirit and the Flesh, the Separation of the Flesh Body and the Spiritual Body; Man eventually to walk the Planet Earth having both a Flesh Body and a Spiritual Body.

From the Emerald Tablet of Herme's Trismegistus and Other's.

-- Updated January 31st, 2017, 10:13 am to add the following --

Who it is without false hood certain and most true, that that which is above is like to that which is below and that that which is below is like to that which is above to accomplish the miracles of wondering.
Commonsense2
New Trial Member

Post by Commonsense2 »

Of course, a future version of science will solve the problem. Science already holds the key to the mind-body problem.

Science is able to demonstrate that thought processes are visible on certain high-tech scans. There are areas in the human brain that light up on such scans when a person is viewing and reacting to images that are being presented on a screen. The particular areas that light up correlate to the particular images being viewed.

By difference in degree, not by difference in kind, specific thoughts will eventually be correlated to specific neurons and synapses. Thoughts will be identified on sight. They could also be felt by microscopic probes. It may even be possible to smell or taste them—yuck!—as well as to hear them vocalized as is the case presently.

In the future, thoughts will be experienced like other material objects. We will be able to look inside a skull and actually see thoughts. Given that thoughts are no longer to be considered immaterial, this calls into question the entirety of the immaterial universe, does it not?
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Commonsense2 wrote:Of course, a future version of science will solve the problem. Science already holds the key to the mind-body problem.
This is pure rubbish. Science holds no key because they only practice one side of the equation - physiology (the body). They do not practice psychology (mind), nor know how to. Therefore, their 'key' always lies to ignoring the problem by simply reducing it all to physiology. Just like you do below.
Science is able to demonstrate that thought processes are visible on certain high-tech scans. There are areas in the human brain that light up on such scans when a person is viewing and reacting to images that are being presented on a screen. The particular areas that light up correlate to the particular images being viewed.

By difference in degree, not by difference in kind, specific thoughts will eventually be correlated to specific neurons and synapses. Thoughts will be identified on sight. They could also be felt by microscopic probes. It may even be possible to smell or taste them—yuck!—as well as to hear them vocalized as is the case presently.

In the future, thoughts will be experienced like other material objects. We will be able to look inside a skull and actually see thoughts. Given that thoughts are no longer to be considered immaterial, this calls into question the entirety of the immaterial universe, does it not?
Thoughts will never be experienced like material objects. This is quite impossible. Subjective experience will never be like experiencing things said to be "objective", i.e. actually existing outside of the self. Experiencing a rock or a tree will never be like experiencing dreams, thoughts, and feelings.

Finding a correlation between thoughts and physiology in no way solves the mind-body problem, nor does it even approach it as a solution. The whole mind-body problem lies in reconciliating our subjective experiences with what we objectively say is "true" or "the facts", not in merely asserting that the one is really the other....

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream