How may trruth be found?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
willowtreeme

How may truth be found?

Post by willowtreeme »

Finding the occasional straw of truth awash in a great ocean of confusion and bamboozle requires intelligence, vigilance, dedication and courage. But if we don't practice these tough habits of thought, we cannot hope to solve the truly serious problems that face us -- and we risk becoming a nation of suckers, up for grabs by the next charlatan who comes along.
Carl Sagan
Edward J. Bartek

How may truth be found?

Post by Edward J. Bartek »

Akhenaten wrote:
EJB: You say principles are bad because they teach the yongere generation a method of thought and action. You didn't say whether that method and action was good or bad? If it be good, why would you reject it for the bad? How does it fail the criteria of truth?
ejb: I would never say that good principles are bad. In fact, they are the ultimate good. Thus, anything to achieve an ultimate good (Principle) will be good an true. Any goal to an ultimate purpose will be good and true. Any ideal like an ultimate ideal will be good and true. Any idea like an ultimate principle will be good and true. Any idea related to an ultimate premise will be good, true, and rational. Wouldn't you agree?

the concepts of morality inwhich are ingrained such as not killing others, not stealing from others, etc... Such things are, inherently, fine as 'stand alone' ideals. Unfortunately, there are cultural hatreds that invariably come with them. no two cultural ideals align perfectly. In this we find a lack of common belief, and hence a lack of truth.

ejb: In the prior examples, can any rational person disagree with the good, truth, and rationality of these principles? If not, are they not a common reasoning of good and truth? I agree there is an inherent conscience that enables a morality based on belief. But this can be destroyed by disobeying it.

I am not saying that principles are bad, meerly that, as with all things, there is a less pleasant side, which negates the concept of fundamental truth.

ejb? I aree that bad principles make bad truth and good But what is the less pleasant side in the prior examples of good principles? What negates them?
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

I do agree with nameless(regret if I misrepresent you, nameless)that beliefs are too often held intransigently. Don't you agree with this, pjkeeley?
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

willowtreeme, I would endorse Carl Sagan's opinions almost unquestioningly, including the one you quote.

The only comment that I have is not a criticism but only a comment that C S writes from the point of view of a practical environmentalist and a practial peacemaker.C S is not concerned , as far as I know, with demolishing Platonic ideas about Eternal Verities.
ogdread

Post by ogdread »

In my opinion, a more appropriate question to begin with would be "may truth be found?"

It seems as though the discovery of fundamental truths (assuming they exist) would require that we transcend our own humanity. The vigilant thinker may be able to set aside many of his/her biases in the quest for greater understanding, but can anyone escape his/her point of view as a human being? We occupy but a very small space in the universe, and we are bound to this perspective. It seems to me that our ability to grasp reality outside of ourselves is extremely limited. To quote an article I read recently, "None of us is capable of pronouncing the last word on anything but the furnishings of our own minds." -- Edwin Dobb
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

In my opinion, a more appropriate question to begin with would be "may truth be found?"

It seems as though the discovery of fundamental truths (assuming they exist) would require that we transcend our own humanity.
](ogdred)

And this we can never do. A mind is not disembodied.I guess that you endorse , as do I,what Edwin Dobb said according the the quotation you give.
ogdread

Post by ogdread »

You guess correctly, Belinda. It is something that I struggle to accept, however. The quest for truth and unifying principles, although arbitrary, holds an inexplicable allure.
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

So it does for me too, ogdread. I assume that this bad habit is because of unwitting indoctrination during my childhood.
Edward J. Bartek

Re: How may trruth be found?

Post by Edward J. Bartek »

nameless wrote:
Edward J. Bartek wrote:
Reply #1)'Truth' cannot be 'found'.

ejb: Descartes searced a lifetime to find one undeniable truth, which was, "As I think, so I be." Can you deny his truth? Are you thinking beeing? Did Descarte speak a truth? If not, are you just a dream? If ao, isn't that your truth? Knowing truth seems to avoid a lot of confusiion. Knowing no truth seems to make a lot of confusion with nothing resolved.
nameless

Re: How may trruth be found?

Post by nameless »

Edward J. Bartek wrote:
nameless wrote: Reply #1)'Truth' cannot be 'found'.
ejb: Descartes searced a lifetime to find one undeniable truth, which was, "As I think, so I be." Can you deny his truth?
Not as long as you call it 'his' truth, truth for him. Your 'truth' is your truth, as was his. No, I cannot deny that. I do, however, deny that his(Perspective) is a one-size-fits-all 'Truth' for all Perspectives. It is not for this one..
Are you thinking beeing? Did Descarte speak a truth?
No, I am not thinking, I am meditating, therefore, according to 'him', I am no longer 'being'.
He spoke a very conditional and local small 't' truth. Very local. Like if I said that chocolate ice cream is delicious, it might be 'truth' to thisPerspective, but I certainly wouldn't expect that I feel that 'truth' that everyone 'aught'!
If not, are you just a dream? If ao, isn't that your truth?

So you are saying that whatever you perceive is your 'truth'? For you, the perceiver?
Knowing truth seems to avoid a lot of confusiion.

Then anything that you 'know', 'believe', 'feel', 'think' is 'truth' for you? Pardon, but only religious fanatics, 'true believers' are arrogant enough to think that they "Know the Truth". Yes, in that case "Knowing the Truth" does avoid the "confusion", of attempting critical thought.
Knowing no truth seems to make a lot of confusion with nothing resolved.
Yet it is the beginning of wisdom!!
Last edited by nameless on October 14th, 2008, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackwater

Post by Blackwater »

(Forgive me if I sound like a rambling mad man, but I'm new to this)

As far as I know, according to literary theory, if one attepts to define any action, truth or phenomena, one should start at the beginning.
First, whats language bla bla bla that stuff and then you move further to the falue of the exerpt in the context in which it was used.

For instance; nameless's example with the chocolate ice cream is pretty explanatory, truth lies on the holder or the perceiver. Absolute truth would then be defined as a truth which is universally accepted and agreed upon.
... Or that's how I seem to make it appear logical to myself.
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

Absolute truth would then be defined as a truth which is universally accepted and agreed upon.
(Blackwater)

Would someone please explain for me the difference between absolute truth and objective truth? I always stumble here.
Blackwater

Post by Blackwater »

(Belinda)

Uhm...

Well, if my memory serves me well, absolute truth and universal truth is basically the same thing. Universal truth I do know is A fact or whatever which is universally acepted, for instance:

When you take water and freeze it, it becomes ice.
- Universal thruth

(I tend to go more to Mukarovsky's side than the New Critics - complete dotls) - literary theory

Objective truth is tricky, for there is no universally accepted articulation of objectivity. In the theory I take they refer to it as
'mind-independency'

Basically objective truths are those that are discovered and not created, I think.. something along those lines.

Hope I've got my facts straight:)
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

Thank you very much Blackwater.

Objective truth=mind independency. I like that a lot.

Absolute truth= universal truth i.e. a universally accepted 'fact' , perhaps. As you said, about water into ice.
boagie

Post by boagie »

Hi Everyone, :D

Personally I believe that truth is relational, the relation between subject and object and its subjective evaluation is truth, it is of experience, and thus it is as constant as the experience, of course dependent upon sense perception and the process of the understanding.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream