Self Inquiry - Direct Path to Self Realization, Awakening

Discuss the February philosophy book of the month Irrationally Yours by Dan Ariely.
Ormond

Re: Self Inquiry - Direct Path to Self Realization, Awakenin

Post by Ormond »

Burning ghost wrote:What is the method of attaining X and what are the common methods.
A place to start might be, forget about obtaining X.

Here's why. The process we are discussing isn't about accumulating, but discarding.

It's like when we've sold our house and have to remove all our stuff so the house will be empty for the next tenant. Seen this way, we don't want to be chasing enlightenment, self realization, nirvana or "X" etc. All this stuff is just more crap we'll have to drag out of the house in to the moving van. If we don't buy this heavy mental furniture in the first place, then we won't have to move it.

Say we're meditating. A thought arises that we need to clean the garage. Meditation is about letting that thought go, right? Ok, and so then we think, "My boss is an ass." Ok, we'll let this thought go too. And then another thought arises, "I want to be enlightened." This is no different than the thought about our boss, or garage cleaning, or anything else, the job is to let it go.

So, method #1, in whatever time you have available, practice forgetting about you and what you are going to attain. All that greedy grabby mental noise, just let it go for a bit.
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

How did you have an awakening? Did you have a meditation schedule? Did you start with 20 mins of meditation? What method of meditation was it you used? Did you use different kinds of meditation? Did you find one best to fit you or use all?
AKA badgerjelly
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Ah, so I see my last post was highly persuasive. :D
Burning ghost wrote:How did you have an awakening?
I didn't. That's all a bunch of silly ego fueled becoming trip rubbish, except maybe for a tiny number of rare end of bell curve people who, if they exist at all, are so few in number as to be irrelevant to the rest of us.

If you a reader should discard the glamorous becoming trip fantasy called enlightenment, here's what they're left with.

When you're physically hungry, what do you do? You eat something. Wow, that was complicated!

You're sensible about it, and don't expect to find some magic food which will forever end your hunger. Instead, you are realistic and practical and accept the reality that managing your physical hunger on a regular basis is one of the price tags of living.

Thought, like digestion, is just another mechanical operation of the human body. This is good news, because it reduces a supposedly complex mysterious esoteric issue for "experts" down to a simple straightforward management operation available to just about anyone. When thinking starts driving us batty, take a break from thinking. Duh!
Burning ghost wrote:Did you have a meditation schedule? Did you start with 20 mins of meditation? What method of meditation was it you used? Did you use different kinds of meditation? Did you find one best to fit you or use all?
Well, for me, I spend TONS of time in the north Florida woods. Seriously, nature is a good place to look for peace, imho. Your mileage may vary.

That's how I achieved the highly advanced ego slaying holy mystical state of enlightenment nirvana samadhi which solved every problem I ever had and left me in a permanent state of transcendent eternal bliss. Except for when I called for jury duty, which still seems to piss me off big time. :D
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Well, I am interested in the rare end of the bell curve people.
AKA badgerjelly
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Burning ghost wrote:Well, I am interested in the rare end of the bell curve people.
Fair enough, no crime in that. In that case, I would propose that this is their situation.

In every field there are rare end of the bell curve people with remarkable ability. I'm willing to agree it's likely the same in the field of psychology. Here's the problem though...

Jesus could teach us how to be better people, but he couldn't teach us how to be a Jesus. Mozart could teach us how to play piano and write music, but not how to be the next Mozart. Einstein could teach us about space/time, but not how to become an Einstein.

The end of the bell curve people didn't invent the rare specialized genius within their minds, it was handed to them by the genetic lottery, by chance, by God, in any case, something or somebody other than themselves. They don't own that genius, they didn't create it, thus they can't hand it over to you and me.

Thus, we may come to the following logic.

1) Do rare end of the bell curve people exist in the field of psychology? Probably.

2) Can they teach us how to be rare end of the bell curve people in the field of psychology? Not likely.

Thus, while such folks are indeed interesting, they are probably also largely irrelevant to the practical situation of the average person. The sooner we stop chasing the imaginary pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, the sooner we are in the position to get serious about our human condition.

You may find that most of the people who address these topics in the realm of new age teachings or philosophy are only interested if these topics can somehow be made esoteric, complicated, glamorous etc. You see, without it being esoteric, complicated, glamorous etc, they can't play the role of expert, they can't build a following, they can't run a business.
Kungwu111
New Trial Member

Post by Kungwu111 »

"I" did not find the X. It was the X who recognized itself when the conceptual "me" was out of the way...
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Kungwu111 wrote:"I" did not find the X. It was the X who recognized itself when the conceptual "me" was out of the way...
That doesn't really help much. How did you get the conceptual "me" out of the way?

I am very interested in this.
AKA badgerjelly
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Burning ghost wrote:How did you get the conceptual "me" out of the way?
"Me" is made of thought. To the degree we lower the volume of thought, or turn thought off, "me" goes away, temporarily. This can be accomplished by patiently pursuing basic meditation techniques, a simple straightforward process. The esoteric complications arise if/when we try to make this lack of "me" a permanent state of affairs at some point in the future.

Please note the title of Tolle's most popular book, "The Power Of Now". The title alone is adequate instruction, if we actually read it. Please note how Tolle didn't name his book, "The Power Of Me Accomplishing Amazing Things Sometime In The Future!"

Note how you are actually feeding "me" by trying to achieve a permanent fundamental shift of human psychology, a goal that "me" loves because it is glorious and glamorous etc. "Me" says, I need to be bigger, better, more special. I need to be like that famous man up on the stage. If you want to get the conceptual "me" out of the way, all this future tripping will have to go.

When I was young there was a popular book called "Be Here Now". Three simple little words, that's all we need.

How to get the conceptual "me" out of the way?

Be.

Here.

Now.
Kungwu111
New Trial Member

Post by Kungwu111 »

Burning ghost wrote:
Kungwu111 wrote:"I" did not find the X. It was the X who recognized itself when the conceptual "me" was out of the way...
That doesn't really help much. How did you get the conceptual "me" out of the way?

I am very interested in this.

There may be infinite ways and/or there may be no way...

...put attention on the awareness itself; contemplate what is the awareness; and reject ALL conceptual answers...
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I am asking the person who started this thread what technique they used and how or if they adjusted it in anyway.

There are literally many different meditation techniques.
AKA badgerjelly
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Kungwu111 wrote:...put attention on the awareness itself; contemplate what is the awareness; and reject ALL conceptual answers...
Should we reject the conceptual answers in your opening post, Tolle's books, and the speeches of all the other new age gurus too? Answer please. Yes? No? Other?

Mysticism might be described as the experience of putting attention on awareness and reality, as you suggest above. At the moment we try to explain that experience (ie. "contemplate what is the awareness") and draw conclusions from it etc, mysticism begins to degrade in to religion. When we shift from silence to explanations we're declaring by our actions that....

....the silence isn't enough.

Is that actually true? Is it?

What if we were serious, and patiently learned the title of Tolle's book before rushing to read the pages within? For starters we might ask why Tolle named his book, The Power Of Now, and not The Power Of Contemplating What Is The Awareness?

Now. A single word with only three letters. Be simple and humble, start with that word, explore it, discover it, experience it, and you will find the rest of Tolle's writings to be unnecessary.

Ah, well, unless of course your real goal is to inflate your ego with some glamorous future tripping which you can then sell to other people to establish yourself as some kind of holy man in their eyes and yours. If that were the case, then yes, you'd better read the rest of the book so you can learn the new age guru lingo dance.

-- April 4th, 2016, 6:47 pm --

Ok then, so here's a peace offering.

Those who wish to explore the Tolle realm in peace without inconvenient disturbances from the peanut gallery can do so here:

http://eckhart-tolle-forum.inner-growth.info/

I know from experience that the current mods of this forum are unable to tolerate any effective challenge to Tolle sermons, and will remove such challengers from the discussion. Thus, it's a safe place to talk Tolle without encountering too much in the way of contrary views.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

What does this have to do with the book Irrationally Yours?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Scott wrote:What does this have to do with the book Irrationally Yours?
Apparently nothing, but it's an interesting conversation so perhaps you could move it to the appropriate forum, thank you.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

Sorry for my contributions to the off topicness. I read the thread title and opening post, and thought that was the subject being addressed, not seeing the forum the thread was in. I typically access the forum through the new posts feature, not by scrolling through sections on the home page.

Scott, if you wish to discuss Irrationally Yours, why not go ahead and do so?

Return to “Discuss "Irrationally Yours" by Dan Ariely”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream