The Voice of Creation-- Would Chapter 1 convince an atheist?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, The Voice of Creation by J. Hudson Mitchell.
AB1OB

Re: The Voice of Creation-- Would Chapter 1 convince an athe

Post by AB1OB »

What a waste of TIME!
TIME is something that the author obviously does not understand.

But to the question @ hand...there is zero logic or argument in chapter 1 to convince anyone of anything.

The one good point, IMHO, of the chapter is stressing "God" as "I am"...and the relativity of "that which is" to ALL TIMES vs. man's time perspective of a fleeting arrow of "presents".
Jardar
New Trial Member

Post by Jardar »

Managing to read two entire pages, i concluded the book must have been written by someone who neither understands science nor religion, and the only thing it convinced me of was that I'm signing out of these forums to avoid wasting time like that again.
Being_1925

Post by Being_1925 »

Hi Scott, thanks for sending that E-mail.

God as an idea can only be a phantasie and so is creating the world in six days. If God represents matter then we are god but only like an ant, it also knows how to build a home. So to understand god is to understand matter.

For example the Jews in the bible were sometimes in critical circumstances, there was no help from something that does not exist, and they had to help itself to exist as a nation.
Elan vit
New Trial Member

Post by Elan vit »

Why is this drivel even a question on a philosophy forum?
It is merely a recitation of assertions with no empirical or logical foundation.
Conflictofinterests

Post by Conflictofinterests »

I consider myself an open-minded atheist and I find the sample I was able to get ahold of tone-deaf at best and condescending at worst. Within the first page of the introduction the Bible is quoted without any explanation as to why anyone ought to care what it says in the first place. If your audience is primarily non-believers, whether they are members of different religions or not, it would pay off to lay that groundwork before bringing up particulars.

It appeared to me as if the author had done no self-reflection, no contemplation on what would convince them to change their stance if presented with a similar proposition. This is hard not to take as a sort of disregard for the intelligence and thoughtfulness of the audience. Any arguments that come after such a perceived insult will therefore be accepted much less readily.

In response to the actual arguments as they are presented, though:

The introduction brings up a very muddy and imprecise scientific concept of time. It is difficult to parse the intention of this mention without reading the title of Chapter 1, something which is narratively problematic. The introduction then goes on to cite several claims the Bible makes as if these claims were supporting evidence. I have encountered this misconception often, so while it is not surprising, it is also disappointing.

After several paragraphs of this, the author brings up their disbelief that life, the universe and everything could have been the product of accident, and their inability to imagine why the universe would appear as it does given that understanding. They said they would expand further in a later chapter, so I will forgo calling this an argument from incredulity for now.

The introduction goes on to cite yet more claims the Bible makes (as if the claims were evidence of anything other than the authors' understanding of the world around them), and then goes on to quote a kitschy little saying I swear I've seen printed on a mug. Not to say such cliché may not have a point, but if one is attempting to convince an audience that presently has beliefs contrary to what one is presenting, one would do well to more thoroughly tie them in to the narrative or argument, thereby avoiding the appearance of being vapid or demeaning.

The first chapter begins by quoting Genesis 1:1-2 and stating that the biggest controversy is whether the world was actually created in 6 literal days. It is not mentioned in which circles this is a controversy, though three fields of science are mentioned as considering these claims to be absurd based on fossil evidence. This neglects many MANY other fields and many MANY other lines of evidence against a young earth, though we can set those issues aside for the time being. The chapter continues by attempting to discredit various dating methods used by geologists and paleontologists, without displaying much understanding of the science and theory behind the methods. This may also be set aside for the time being.

The author proceeds to cite other Christians' positions and argue against them using more biblical claims, posing neither logical argument nor empirical evidence for any topic brought up, and further attempts to refute (ineptly, I might point out) stratigraphy. That being the case, if we view all the author's objections in the most charitable light, where are we left? Having no knowledge of the world around us, only with claims for which we have no substantive evidence. Further, they are claims that bring in the unnecessary assumption of a supernatural being with not only the capacity to create time, space, matter, and energy, but to create life and further to interact directly with it. There are so many assumptions that go in to the claim of the existence of the God of the Bible that are not explicitly justified that it, again, brings me to the conclusion that the author has never considered the atheist (or any alternate theist) position seriously.

At this point, I feel I have put forth enough of an effort to understand where the author is coming from, and I do not feel that the author has made an honest effort to understand any other position. I do not care to read any further into the book, and I don't think many other atheists will care to either.
Knerses 1ste

Post by Knerses 1ste »

Hi Scott.

I think it was an honest attempt by the writer.

However, some critique if I may; Christians are not in the business of convincing unbelievers. To the unregenerate(Unbeliever) mind it (Word) is foolishness as said by the Apostle Paul in the first half of the first Century. It would always be a foolish messege(Gospel) to the unregenerated mind. Christians should however give the Gospel to those who don't posess it. It is the job of the 3rd person of the Triune God of Scripture, the Spirit who regenerates the Elect to life and only after this event, faith is recieved by the new, alive, person.

If we aspire to enter apologetics however, it is done very differently. It seems like she where appealing to some sort of presuppositional methedology. However, it was a bit incoherent and sloppy.

Hope this helps.

Greetings.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Scott, this cannot lead anywhere. I don't see how this could influence an atheist or even a believer like me. Why not use Jacob Needleman's book: "What is God." Here is a review. He offers something intelligent and meaningful to discuss and defend.

http://www.watkinsmagazine.com/what-is- ... -needleman
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Lone Wolf
Favorite Philosopher: Pooh

Post by Lone Wolf »

I am neither atheist or pantheist, but I found nothing in Chapter 1 that would convince me of God's existence. It is all theory and opinion and based on the "Holy Bible" of the Christians which makes it biased from the start. I was raised Baptist and spoon fed all the dogma on the beginning as presented in this chapter, but when I reached a point of asking a few questions about the source of the information being presented, I found it to be less than credible. Questions such as "Who said that?" "Where did he/she get the information?" and "Is it true for me?" led me to a point of understanding that no one I have met or read or listened to knows any more about these things than I do. From an epiphany in 1984, I am convinced that there is something beyond my comprehension that loves me. Since I cannot comprehend this something, I cannot put a name on it. I still generally accept the premise that there is "God", but not as described by any account presented by man.
TheViivi
New Trial Member

Post by TheViivi »

As person who believes in God somedays and somedays doesn't this first chapter did make some impact IN ME. However I don't think it really had any real reasoning behind it. For atheists the writer used too many quetes from the bibble and not enough real examples. Also I see the six days of creation differently than the writer so I skipped some of the pages because I knew there would be nothing making me see life differently in this subject.
Mcdoodle

Post by Mcdoodle »

I thought the sample chapter was intellectually shallow and feebly written. I would be amazed if it would convince a thoughtful believer, let alone an atheist.
3uGH7D4MLj

Post by 3uGH7D4MLj »

Conflictofinterests wrote:I consider myself an open-minded atheist and I find the sample I was able to get ahold of tone-deaf at best and condescending at worst. Within the first page of the introduction the Bible is quoted without any explanation as to why anyone ought to care what it says in the first place.
Agreed. Why would an atheist be swayed by bronze-age mythology?
fair to say
Transcend

Post by Transcend »

The chapter seems to have exactly three arguments.

1. You can't trust radiocarbon dating, because it's not a 100% perfect solution for dating everything.
2. You can't trust biostratigraphy, because comparing strata across continents is "difficult."
3. No person witnessed the creation of the universe, so scientific methods for understanding it are automatically invalidated, because according to creationists science only works when you directly witness something. By the same logic, we can't possibly understand what's inside the sun because it's too hot for us to physically go inside of it and look around.

He doesn't follow up the arguments with examples, just a bunch of badly written fluff. My favorite bit of atrocious writing in the chapter is "Israel was Jesus' hometown when he was on earth." I would have hoped that a student of the Bible would have at least grasped enough of it to understand that Israel is a country, not a city, but apparently that's beyond his mental powers.

So to answer the question, no, it would take a thoroughly uninformed atheist to be even slightly moved by these arguments.
Dionysusxxyyzz

Post by Dionysusxxyyzz »

The constant lag between Atheists and Creationists is about "what" make this sensible world. It is just illogical to accept everything exist as is, as any sensible man cannot accept a rabbit out of the hat because of "abracadabra!" ... while in other hand no sensible man accept a "non-existed" thing as proof?

Let's set those scriptures aside ... don't anyone use words to express the universe? Be it literal or verbal, to inform human, beside "hints" that can be grasp ... but words are the final result anyway ...

If there is God, and He is using words to contact with human ... how can we know which word come from the creator of this universe?
Nicolas
New Trial Member

Post by Nicolas »

This website has a tagline and rule of public space which reads:"An internet oasis of open discussion without personal attacks."
But discussing the reality of G_d is an outright personal attack on the very personal being which G_d is.

G_d can not be a subject of philosophy, but only a subject to theology.

We need to understand that not even the bible can convince people of g_d's reality.
So no first chapter of any book can convince a staunch atheist.

Religion is not about convincing ( secular philosophy ) but about conversion ( dogmatic theology )

Talking about g_d is something for the church, not for a website for the practice of philosophy.

Truth is bigger than existence. So G_d does not need to exist.
Stantasyland

Post by Stantasyland »

The simplest answer is generally the correct answer. When God was asked his name he responded "I AM" I stands for the one and AM stands for existence. He wasn't saying "I AM that I AM" as many ministers profess. So if God is the one existence that the all exists in how about us where it says God created us in his image? Well even us when we introduce ourselves we also say "I AM" Once again the I stands for the one and the Am stands for existence. Never before you has there been any one exactly like you and never after you will there be. We are all singularities in the universe, we are not the same in any way we are unique. When mankind can except the uniqueness of self and the sameness in our differences hopefully we'll evolve to where we stop killing each other over greed and ignorance. As far as proving things it takes all kinds to make a world and if we all walked the same walk and talked the same talk this planet would be the most boring place in the universe. In actuality if the so believed God or Gods actually know everything and they do exist they can't be judging our paths as they already know our choices. For a God to be omnipresent as stated that would mean their essence exists not only in every possible point in reality. It also means they would exist in the past, present and future at the same time in this reality and any possible alternate realities. So when you take texts that are over a couple thousand years old and then apply modern science and physics to it the concepts of a God and his knowledge and plan and so forth take on a new light. Seriously if there is a God and he or she knows everything a small thought would be he or she would have known how many grains of sand the oceans would create before the earth was formed. Now if you have a mind strong enough to figure out why he would have to know that you might just be on the way...
Stanley Victor Paskavich/Author, Poet and Philosopher

Return to “*The Voice of Creation* by J. Hudson Mitchell”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream