How would you act if given absolute power over an alien civilization?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: How would you act if given absolute power over an alien civilization?

Post by Sy Borg »

Sorry. No point explaining a joke. I wrongly assumed you would be able to see the humour. Generally, if one is going to tease others it's only fair to be a good sport when teased in return.

Whatever, it's an error to think of animals, or cells for that matter, as "machines". They are all very much more like us than any machine is. Humans also can't function on their own and are easily replaceable. Thus, authoritarians and billionaires think nothing about metaphorically squashing them, hence the "ad hominem".
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: December 16th, 2018, 1:43 am
Thrylix wrote: December 16th, 2018, 1:22 am

Well, I'd agree that being a tyrant to ants is not appealing. Ants are basically mindless drones. However, the scenario in question is one in which the beings are ant-sized but have the same level of intelligence and sophistication as their human counterparts, just much tinier in scale. But they'd basically have the same technology. So being a tyrant to them would be appealing, or at least it would be to a guy like me. :)
Oh, I didn't realise! We are honoured to have you here at our humble forum, Mr President :D

Ants are underestimated, much brighter than most people assume, especially the larger ones. The nest has a collective intelligence too, which is well documented now.
Have you ever heard of the advice given to single, dating women to steer clear of dates who treat the wait staff (of the restaurant where the date is taking place) boorishly regardless of how well they treat their date? It commonly goes by the name of the Waiter Rule.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: December 16th, 2018, 4:35 am
Greta wrote: December 16th, 2018, 1:43 amOh, I didn't realise! We are honoured to have you here at our humble forum, Mr President :D

Ants are underestimated, much brighter than most people assume, especially the larger ones. The nest has a collective intelligence too, which is well documented now.
Have you ever heard of the advice given to single, dating women to steer clear of dates who treat the wait staff (of the restaurant where the date is taking place) boorishly regardless of how well they treat their date? It commonly goes by the name of the Waiter Rule.
I dare not say anything. I might get in bother :)

I did once have to shame a partner into behaving like a proper human being in restaurants rather than a lord and master. If nothing else, it just creates unnecessary bad vibes for all and I expect it's a good way of inadvertently end up eating staff saliva and public hairs. Similarly, what if the ant people found the tyranny intolerable and decided to band together and fight back? One may end up being a rather itchy deity.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I’ve just realised. This is basically what my boardgame is all about! Developing and playing with simulated worlds and cultures :)
AKA badgerjelly
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: December 16th, 2018, 5:26 am
LuckyR wrote: December 16th, 2018, 4:35 am Have you ever heard of the advice given to single, dating women to steer clear of dates who treat the wait staff (of the restaurant where the date is taking place) boorishly regardless of how well they treat their date? It commonly goes by the name of the Waiter Rule.

I did once have to shame a partner into behaving like a proper human being in restaurants rather than a lord and master. If nothing else, it just creates unnecessary bad vibes for all and I expect it's a good way of inadvertently end up eating staff saliva and public hairs. Similarly, what if the ant people found the tyranny intolerable and decided to band together and fight back? One may end up being a rather itchy deity.
I suppose that if it is common knowledge among dating women that men who treat those who they feel are their inferiors poorly deserve to be dropped, that it is a pretty good bet that foodstuffs provided to tyrants have and will continue to contain a certain amount of bodily fluid (and solid) contamination.
UniversalAlien

Post by UniversalAlien »

Now i want to ask you Human.......

What if you were a superior Alien race and were give absolute power over Humans.

Another words to this hypothetical alien race - You are the aliens!

And if the still circumstantial evidence that observed UFO craft 'may be' controlled by a far superior,
at least technologically, race of beings......

How might you expect them to act towards your species :?:

Seek complete dominance and control? - They could do it.

Or just continue to observe until............ :?:

After all if their technology is so far advanced so as to allow for interstellar flight in craft {UFO observed
craft} that seem to defy the laws of physics as Man knows them - They would not need Human
technology - And after observing Human history and its sordid and ongoing ways, might not be inclined
to give their technology to a species who they might still see as too primitive and dangerous :?:
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: December 17th, 2018, 4:30 am... it is a pretty good bet that foodstuffs provided to tyrants have and will continue to contain a certain amount of bodily fluid (and solid) contamination.
It just goes to show that tyrants either need a strong immune system to only ever consume anonymous meals from a fast food outlet like, say, just taking a stab in the dark—McDonalds :)
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

UniversalAlien wrote: December 17th, 2018, 7:57 am Now i want to ask you Human.......

What if you were a superior Alien race and were give absolute power over Humans.

... if their technology is so far advanced so as to allow for interstellar flight in craft ... They would not need Human technology - And after observing Human history and its sordid and ongoing ways, might not be inclined to give their technology to a species who they might still see as too primitive and dangerous :?:
Sounds fair to me. Even sustainable energy technology would surely be leveraged and abused. We are already formidable. If there is more than one hyper intelligent species there could be political issues with differing views about interference, which is rather Star Trek :)

I've read speculation that Earth could be a target because it has a greater variety of heavy elements than any celestial body known to us, and thus could be valuable. However, if you can travel interstellar distances you can probably easily change one element into another too without much difficulty.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: December 17th, 2018, 8:36 pm
LuckyR wrote: December 17th, 2018, 4:30 am... it is a pretty good bet that foodstuffs provided to tyrants have and will continue to contain a certain amount of bodily fluid (and solid) contamination.
It just goes to show that tyrants either need a strong immune system to only ever consume anonymous meals from a fast food outlet like, say, just taking a stab in the dark—McDonalds :)
Just goes to show you that while consuming another's foul contamination sounds bad, that the fact that tyrants tend to die from violence rather than infection proves that it is not necessarily unhealthful.

Bon appétit...
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: December 18th, 2018, 3:04 am
Greta wrote: December 17th, 2018, 8:36 pm
Just goes to show you that while consuming another's foul contamination sounds bad, that the fact that tyrants tend to die from violence rather than infection proves that it is not necessarily unhealthful.

Bon appétit...
Do tyrants die? My impression is that they live forever while the good drop off like flies.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: December 18th, 2018, 4:49 pm
LuckyR wrote: December 18th, 2018, 3:04 am

Bon appétit...
Do tyrants die? My impression is that they live forever while the good drop off like flies.
As it happens tyrants lower the life expectancy of everyone, themselves included.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Lucky, Mao Zedong lived to his early 80s. Stalin made the mid 70s. Idi Amin, 80. Pinochet 91. Pol Pot 72.

Hitler admittedly only reached his 50s and Mussolini, his 60s but it would seem that tyrant longevity is not bad.
Thrylix

Post by Thrylix »

LuckyR wrote: December 17th, 2018, 4:30 am
Greta wrote: December 16th, 2018, 5:26 am

I suppose that if it is common knowledge among dating women that men who treat those who they feel are their inferiors poorly deserve to be dropped, that it is a pretty good bet that foodstuffs provided to tyrants have and will continue to contain a certain amount of bodily fluid (and solid) contamination.
Don't know about you, I always try to be nice to waitstaff. Their job is hard as hell.

As for contaminating foodstuffs provided to tyrants, sometimes it's wise but it may also not be. If I really were a 1000 ft tall giant and my subjects decided to do such a thing, besides stamping my feet on their towns as retribution, I'd use h_k_s's idea and introduce them to my bodily fluid. Wonder how they would react if they were made to lick a gigantic penis and then watch their communities, schools and all, be submerged in my seminal fluid. :twisted:
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Thrylix wrote: December 19th, 2018, 12:24 am
LuckyR wrote: December 17th, 2018, 4:30 am

Don't know about you, I always try to be nice to waitstaff. Their job is hard as hell.

As for contaminating foodstuffs provided to tyrants, sometimes it's wise but it may also not be. If I really were a 1000 ft tall giant and my subjects decided to do such a thing, besides stamping my feet on their towns as retribution, I'd use h_k_s's idea and introduce them to my bodily fluid. Wonder how they would react if they were made to lick a gigantic penis and then watch their communities, schools and all, be submerged in my seminal fluid. :twisted:
Speaking of penises, since a tactical nuke can be as small as a loaf of bread, a suicide bomber would be a short trip up the urethra away from performing the "exploding cigar" trick.

As to foodstuff contamination, the victim doesn't learn of it as a rule (otherwise no one would go to restaurants) and as I mentioned it is purely for the entertainment of the oppressed, it likely doesn't provide any true negativity to the victim. Of course if it were an alien invasion, since 1000 feet is 167 times the height of a person, you should have 4.6 million times the weight. Therefore the lethal volume of botulinum toxin (at an average of 2 ng/kg for humans) would be a mere 650 milligrams for you, about a bottle of wine into the Empire State building. Of course this would have to be injected, but again that is what ninjas, commandos and SEALs are for.
Thrylix

Post by Thrylix »

Eh, if I stamp my feet on a few schools, kids and all, I think they'll be too petrified to pull a stunt like that. The sight of dozens of little red splotches that used to be their children on the bottom of a giant white sneaker should be a good deterrent. :P

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream