The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Is Suicide Immoral?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Intellectual_Savnot
Favorite Philosopher: Myself

Re: Is Suicide Immoral?

Post by Intellectual_Savnot » March 4th, 2019, 2:13 am

@LuckyR why did you respond to my comment if you were just gonna throw shade on the title and not even address the main body?

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » March 4th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Intellectual_Savnot wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 2:13 am
@LuckyR why did you respond to my comment if you were just gonna throw shade on the title and not even address the main body?
I guess I felt that your comments stood (or fell) on their own merits and didn't see the point in the de facto self sabotage of your preamble.
"As usual... it depends."

Plaffelvohfen
New Trial Member

Post by Plaffelvohfen » March 7th, 2019, 12:13 am

Interesting topic and interesting comments... Suicide to me is a particular case in regards to morality, Camus said that it was the only serious philosophical question after all... So here's my take on it...;)

I think that suicide is an amoral action, that may or may not have moral consequences... For instance, imagine a recluse, living by himself in the wilderness, no living relatives, no friends, the guy is utterly alone and has been for decades and he is in prefect health. In the event that he commits suicide, how could we justify labeling his suicide as either moral or immoral? Good, bad, right or wrong? How could he even label it himself as either moral or immoral? It can be a coldly rationalized philosophical conclusion reached through a sound logical process...

Here' I don't think it makes sense to imply any notions of ethics of morality regarding this case. Because there's no one else involved. To me, morality implicitly conveys a notion of "other" in one way or another... I think morality makes no sense when "soliloquized" by a Bozeman brain existing in his own otherwise empty universe, so to speak... It can only have moral implications, when at least one "other" is involved, in one way or another, be it family, friends, jail guard, tormentor, whatever... I think that "Morality" is, in a very deep sense, rooted in our genetically programmed gregariousness...

That is why I think that if any others are involved, suicide can be a "morally charged" action, that can only express its charge, in others... They may care about you existing for whatever reason, they might be impacted by your decision to act or not on this, they may express that charge as Immoral if they experience loss or pain, but if they understand the process by which you came to conclude that the time was now and the means yourself, they may express that charge as moral or fitting that the choice be yours and yours alone...

I define myself as an absurdist, not exactly like Camus but close enough, I agree with the basics of nihilism. In a way, I'm still alive right now because I chose to commit "suicide by existence", kind of a "suicide by cops'... See, I had no choice but to exist, it was imposed on me and I have no choice but to cease to exist at some point, this is also imposed on me... So as the outcome was set before I even knew I had begun, the only choices I can possibly make are when (now or not) and how (by myself or not)... And this question is continuously asked, like a loop, deep within the inner sub-routines of my consciousness. It just so happens that I'm, for the moment, continuously answering "not" to both question, for completely subjective reasons and I'm fine with it... ;)

Intellectual_Savnot
Favorite Philosopher: Myself

Post by Intellectual_Savnot » March 8th, 2019, 2:25 pm

@Plaffelvohfen what if you are using a specific set of morals and you decide to kill yourself? You would consider your morals first, right?

Plaffelvohfen
New Trial Member

Post by Plaffelvohfen » March 8th, 2019, 3:19 pm

@@Intellectual_Savnot

By specific set of morals, you mean like Christian morals, Taoist morals, etc? Then I guess that I probably would, why?

Mans
New Trial Member

Post by Mans » April 15th, 2019, 4:05 am

Yes, it is a guilt because of the wrong thoughts. Human is responsible against this wrong belief and action. If human seeks refuge in God and trust in him he will never commit suicide because of the wrong thoughts.