The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Utilitarianism vs Deontological Morality

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Kaz_1983

Re: Utilitarianism vs Deontological Morality

Post by Kaz_1983 » July 26th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Pantagruel wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 8:36 am
Kaz_1983 wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 11:24 pm

Yeah when it comes to utilitarianism holding on to the lever is immoral, right? Because the action of holding onto the lever doesn't maximizes the happiness, for the majority.... i.e. the people on the train..

Yes it's a dilemma.

What about this, is it moral for a 18 year old girl to be forced into prositution if it maximizes the happiness, for the greatest number of people... i.e. 100+ men.. I mean it maximizes the happiness of the majority.. if your a utilitarian, is forcing a 18 year old girl into prositution moral?
Actually John Stuart Mill was a very important proponent of Utilitarianism but his variety includes critical concepts of "duty" and "obligations of perfect" justice which would tend to balance cases such as these...
I'm gonna look "duty" "utilitarianism" "obligations"

Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 » July 28th, 2019, 4:14 am

Ok I didn't realise there was so many different types of utilitarianism ethical systems.

https://owlcation.com/humanities/Differ ... itarianism

h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s » July 29th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Kaz_1983 wrote:
July 24th, 2019, 11:24 pm
h_k_s wrote:
July 21st, 2019, 9:11 am
The classic conundrum that I have always heard about the train switching engineer is that he is holding the lever to divert a train when his little child wanders onto the tracks. If he lets go of the lever everyone on the train dies. If he holds onto the lever his child gets run over by the train.
Yeah when it comes to utilitarianism holding on to the lever is immoral, right? Because the action of holding onto the lever doesn't maximizes the happiness, for the majority.... i.e. the people on the train..

Yes it's a dilemma.

What about this, is it moral for a 18 year old girl to be forced into prositution if it maximizes the happiness, for the greatest number of people... i.e. 100+ men.. I mean it maximizes the happiness of the majority.. if your a utilitarian, is forcing a 18 year old girl into prositution moral?
While Aristotle condoned slavery, I doubt today that he would condone white slavery. Maybe and maybe not.

The Imperial Japanese Army condoned and practiced white slavery of Korean girls during WW2. And at the same time in the European theatre plenty of French, Jewish, Russian and also finally German girls were used as sex slaves by the invading Nazi, Russian, British, French, and American armies.

So it does happen.

Probably better to be born ugly than beautiful.

For the train switch operator whose little child wandered onto the tracks, he was duty bound to save the train. This is a matter of moral duty.

You cannot let an entire trainload of people die just because your wife or sitter was negligent.

h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s » July 29th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Kaz_1983 wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 4:14 am
Ok I didn't realise there was so many different types of utilitarianism ethical systems.

https://owlcation.com/humanities/Differ ... itarianism
Thanks @Kaz_1983 for the update.

I guess I am a sentient. I believe in animal rights.

My father taught me never to waste meat -- because an animal had to die for us to be able to eat it and that we should be grateful. I was 6 years old at that time.

He also taught me never to kill any animal that I did not plan to eat.

Sentient.

Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 » October 9th, 2019, 11:49 pm

Can boiling 50,000 babies (alive) to death, ever be good?
"Utilitarianism is a family of consequentialist ethical theories that promotes actions that maximize happiness and well-being for the majority of a population."
I mean it's gonna prevent 2 million people from starving to death. So the consequences are really good.

So yeah, would it morally be the right thing to do?