Do plants deserve a moral status as "animal"?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Consul

Re: Do plants deserve a moral status as "animal"?

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: July 26th, 2021, 8:18 pmA mindless experience, of course, would be hardly memorable. I am not convinced that so called "unconscious processes" are entirely unconscious. I think there are sensations being registered, just that they are akin to the sound of a pin dropping amid the "pneumatic drills" that are human minds. So we assume unconsciousness. The situation is akin to not seeing asteroids in other solar systems because the star is so dominant.
The phrase "unconscious process" is ambiguous between "nonexperiential process" and "experiential process of which its subject is not conscious" ("uncognized/unperceived experiential process"). According to first-order theories of consciousness, subjects needn't be conscious (aware) of their experiences in order to have or undergo them. According to higher-order theories of consciousness, there can be no experiences without any consciousness (awareness) of them; so totally uncognized/unperceived experiences are non-experiences.

I had believed for a long time that nonconscious experiences (ones of which their subjects aren't conscious) are still real experiences, but I changed my mind (owing to the influence of experts): An experience which is not mentally apperceived or apprehended in any way is no different from a nonexperience. The mental apperception or apprehension of one's experiences requires attention and (short-term/working) memory.
Sy Borg wrote: July 26th, 2021, 8:18 pmInteresting quote. The brain fills in countless gaps in our sensory perceptions, while ultimately ignoring most inputs. However, I expect that human consciousness is vastly more consistent than that of simpler organisms.
When we introspect our consciousness, it seems to be a continuous field or stream of experiences. Does its apparent continuity and unity reflect its real essence (constitution)?

One problem here is that many argue that the appearance/reality distinction cannot coherently be applied to consciousness/experience itself, because introspection is unlike sensory perception: We are not introspectively aware of our consciousness/experience through the medium of sensations that makes perceptual illusions and even hallucinations possible; so when consciousness/experience introspectively seems so-and-so, then it is so-and-so. Whether this is true is a hotly debated issue in the philosophy of mind. (I'll stop here, because it's off-topic.)

"Human consciousness usually displays a striking unity. When one experiences a noise and, say, a pain, one is not conscious of the noise and then, separately, of the pain. One is conscious of the noise and pain together, as aspects of a single conscious experience. Since at least the time of Immanuel Kant (1781/7), this phenomenon has been called the unity of consciousness. More generally, it is consciousness not of A and, separately, of B and, separately, of C, but of A-and-B-and-C together, as the contents of a single conscious state."

The Unity of Consciousness: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/consciousness-unity/
Sy Borg wrote: July 26th, 2021, 8:18 pm However, we cannot experience touch, vision or sound without our noisy brain mediating everything. Meditators try to dampen this effect but they are aware that emptying one's mind 100% is impossible. As I say, I think humans interpret minimal consciousness as zero due to the relativities, like trying to see an asteroid orbiting a distant star.
My contention is that even minimal P-consciousness requires a cognitive apparatus capable of accessing and processing (operating on) it (its experiential content). I also maintain that such an apparatus can only be physiologically realized by a CNS.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:11 pmI had believed for a long time that nonconscious experiences (ones of which their subjects aren't conscious) are still real experiences, but I changed my mind (owing to the influence of experts): An experience which is not mentally apperceived or apprehended in any way is no different from a nonexperience. The mental apperception or apprehension of one's experiences requires attention and (short-term/working) memory.
Note that I'm not saying that experiences depend for their being on being objects of deliberate, intentional, voluntary acts of cogitation or introspection.

QUOTE>
"Introspection can be something we deliberately do; it can be an act of ours: turning our gaze into our breasts as Hume puts it. It is then like, say, looking deliberately around a room. But deliberately introspecting is rather a sophisticated thing to do. We may contrast it with mere introspective awareness, where we simply become aware of some current mental content, in the same sort of way that, in vision, we become aware that something or other is before us. Introspective awareness can be of a very 'reflex' sort. The introspecting mechanism, whatever it is, does no more than keep a watching brief on our own current mental contents, but without making much of a deal about it."

(Armstrong, D. M. The Mind-Body Problem: An Opinionated Introduction. Boulder, CO: Westview, 1999. pp. 114-5)
<QUOTE
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Consul wrote:
My contention is that even minimal P-consciousness requires a cognitive apparatus capable of accessing and processing (operating on) it (its experiential content). I also maintain that such an apparatus can only be physiologically realized by a CNS.
Don't you think that consciousness(i.e. mind) is the ground of existence, and material(physical) concepts such as the CNS are subsumed in consciousness(mind)?
Consul

Post by Consul »

Belindi wrote: July 27th, 2021, 2:58 pmDon't you think that consciousness(i.e. mind) is the ground of existence, and material(physical) concepts such as the CNS are subsumed in consciousness(mind)?
No, I don't think so, because I'm a materialist and not a spiritualist about fundamental reality.

Of course, physical concepts qua mental representations are part of the mind; but physical objects and the physical universe aren't concepts or ideas in minds, let alone in the minds of immaterial spirits.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Consul wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:11 pm
Sy Borg wrote: July 26th, 2021, 8:18 pmA mindless experience, of course, would be hardly memorable. I am not convinced that so called "unconscious processes" are entirely unconscious. I think there are sensations being registered, just that they are akin to the sound of a pin dropping amid the "pneumatic drills" that are human minds. So we assume unconsciousness. The situation is akin to not seeing asteroids in other solar systems because the star is so dominant.
The phrase "unconscious process" is ambiguous between "nonexperiential process" and "experiential process of which its subject is not conscious" ("uncognized/unperceived experiential process"). According to first-order theories of consciousness, subjects needn't be conscious (aware) of their experiences in order to have or undergo them. According to higher-order theories of consciousness, there can be no experiences without any consciousness (awareness) of them; so totally uncognized/unperceived experiences are non-experiences.

I had believed for a long time that nonconscious experiences (ones of which their subjects aren't conscious) are still real experiences, but I changed my mind (owing to the influence of experts): An experience which is not mentally apperceived or apprehended in any way is no different from a nonexperience. The mental apperception or apprehension of one's experiences requires attention and (short-term/working) memory.
That seems to be the case with large brained organisms.

However, this is where relativities come in. That is, to us, a non-apprehended experience is like a non-experience. However, if an organism's sensory journey through life is not consciously processed, I am not convinced that that would necessarily feel like nothing. Comparing such activity to mammalian consciousness is akin to comparing a small pebble with the Sun - it is rendered invisible.

Imagine trying to tell ancient people that organisms exist that are smaller than the eye can see. That is my angle, that the null results of research are epistemic rather than ontic.

Sy Borg wrote: July 26th, 2021, 8:18 pmInteresting quote. The brain fills in countless gaps in our sensory perceptions, while ultimately ignoring most inputs. However, I expect that human consciousness is vastly more consistent than that of simpler organisms.
When we introspect our consciousness, it seems to be a continuous field or stream of experiences. Does its apparent continuity and unity reflect its real essence (constitution)?

One problem here is that many argue that the appearance/reality distinction cannot coherently be applied to consciousness/experience itself, because introspection is unlike sensory perception: We are not introspectively aware of our consciousness/experience through the medium of sensations that makes perceptual illusions and even hallucinations possible; so when consciousness/experience introspectively seems so-and-so, then it is so-and-so. Whether this is true is a hotly debated issue in the philosophy of mind. (I'll stop here, because it's off-topic.)

"Human consciousness usually displays a striking unity. When one experiences a noise and, say, a pain, one is not conscious of the noise and then, separately, of the pain. One is conscious of the noise and pain together, as aspects of a single conscious experience. Since at least the time of Immanuel Kant (1781/7), this phenomenon has been called the unity of consciousness. More generally, it is consciousness not of A and, separately, of B and, separately, of C, but of A-and-B-and-C together, as the contents of a single conscious state."

The Unity of Consciousness: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/consciousness-unity/
I suspect that consciousness will be found to be granular rather than indivisible, just as seems to be the case with physical reality. Consciousness is ultimately a collection of numerous tiny reflexes that bundle together to form broader responses. An analogy would be a soup made from various vegetables - it seems continuous, but sufficient technology one could isolate the molecules of the original foods.

Sy Borg wrote: July 26th, 2021, 8:18 pm However, we cannot experience touch, vision or sound without our noisy brain mediating everything. Meditators try to dampen this effect but they are aware that emptying one's mind 100% is impossible. As I say, I think humans interpret minimal consciousness as zero due to the relativities, like trying to see an asteroid orbiting a distant star.
Do you agree that very small things or dynamics can seem to be invisible - as if nothing at all - from the perspective of much larger things or dynamics?
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Consul wrote: July 27th, 2021, 3:16 pm
Belindi wrote: July 27th, 2021, 2:58 pmDon't you think that consciousness(i.e. mind) is the ground of existence, and material(physical) concepts such as the CNS are subsumed in consciousness(mind)?
No, I don't think so, because I'm a materialist and not a spiritualist about fundamental reality.

Of course, physical concepts qua mental representations are part of the mind; but physical objects and the physical universe aren't concepts or ideas in minds, let alone in the minds of immaterial spirits.
Is English your native language, Consul? I ask because a spiritualist is not the same as an idealist(in American English immaterialist).

To get back to your main point; if mind were to be subsumed in extended matter there would be a problem explaining consciousness which affects extended matter.

The natural sciences are materialistic, however quantum physics is neutral monist , as is modern psychiatry with its materialistic and mentalistic approaches working together to relieve suffering.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Belindi wrote: July 28th, 2021, 3:32 amIs English your native language, Consul? I ask because a spiritualist is not the same as an idealist(in American English immaterialist).
No, I'm not a native speaker; but I know the distinction between "spiritualist"/"spiritualism" in the philosophical sense and "spiritist"/"spiritism" in the occultistic sense:

"SPIRITUALISM:
1. A system of belief or religious practice based on supposed communication with the spirits of the dead, especially through mediums.
‘Spiritism or spiritualism is the belief that the human personality survives death and can communicate with the living through a sensitive medium.’

2. Philosophy: The doctrine that the spirit exists as distinct from matter, or that spirit is the only reality."

Source: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/spiritualism
Belindi wrote: July 28th, 2021, 3:32 amTo get back to your main point; if mind were to be subsumed in extended matter there would be a problem explaining consciousness which affects extended matter.
According to materialism, consciousness is a state of matter (material systems); so I don't see what's the problem here, because there is no mysterious dualistic interactionism between matter and mind.
Belindi wrote: July 28th, 2021, 3:32 amThe natural sciences are materialistic, however quantum physics is neutral monist , as is modern psychiatry with its materialistic and mentalistic approaches working together to relieve suffering.
Empirical scientists don't have to be metaphysical materialists. For instance, being a Berkeleyan immaterialist doesn't prevent one from practicing empirical science.
Neutral monism isn't the official worldview of quantum physics. Quantum mechanics is a mathematical apparatus that can be metaphysically interpreted in various ways. Nor is neutral monism the official worldview of psychiatry or psychosomatic medicine. Neutral monism is the view that the mental and the physical are both emergent from or reducible to some neutral stuff that is in itself neither mental nor physical.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Consul wrote: July 28th, 2021, 9:01 am
Belindi wrote: July 28th, 2021, 3:32 amIs English your native language, Consul? I ask because a spiritualist is not the same as an idealist(in American English immaterialist).
No, I'm not a native speaker; but I know the distinction between "spiritualist"/"spiritualism" in the philosophical sense and "spiritist"/"spiritism" in the occultistic sense:

"SPIRITUALISM:
1. A system of belief or religious practice based on supposed communication with the spirits of the dead, especially through mediums.
‘Spiritism or spiritualism is the belief that the human personality survives death and can communicate with the living through a sensitive medium.’

2. Philosophy: The doctrine that the spirit exists as distinct from matter, or that spirit is the only reality."

Source: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/spiritualism
Belindi wrote: July 28th, 2021, 3:32 amTo get back to your main point; if mind were to be subsumed in extended matter there would be a problem explaining consciousness which affects extended matter.
According to materialism, consciousness is a state of matter (material systems); so I don't see what's the problem here, because there is no mysterious dualistic interactionism between matter and mind.
Belindi wrote: July 28th, 2021, 3:32 amThe natural sciences are materialistic, however quantum physics is neutral monist , as is modern psychiatry with its materialistic and mentalistic approaches working together to relieve suffering.
Empirical scientists don't have to be metaphysical materialists. For instance, being a Berkeleyan immaterialist doesn't prevent one from practicing empirical science.
Neutral monism isn't the official worldview of quantum physics. Quantum mechanics is a mathematical apparatus that can be metaphysically interpreted in various ways. Nor is neutral monism the official worldview of psychiatry or psychosomatic medicine. Neutral monism is the view that the mental and the physical are both emergent from or reducible to some neutral stuff that is in itself neither mental nor physical.
But if pleasure and pain are simple matters of electrons in brains why does it matter how much pleasure of pain is felt? And it does matter how much pleasure and pain is felt. The materialist can't escape the absurdity of denying mind as something more basic to reality than an array of epiphenomena.

It is indeed mind that evaluates plants and non-living events such as mountains, crystals, works of art, religions, universities, or political ideologies.

Regarding psychiatry, if I or my loved ones had a clinical psychosis I'd be unhappy with a therapy that offered mind altering drugs but no reassurance that the sufferer's feelings of pain were understood and addressed by the clinician.

Regarding quantum physics, uncertainty is a basic problem for the materialistic determinist.

It is true that a scientist may be a Berkeleyan idealist. George Berkeley is the sceptic par excellence. For the Berkeleyan , God and His pre-existing harmony is a matter of faith that does not detract from scientific scepticism. Many philosophically aware Christians and Muslims are excellent scientists.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Belindi wrote: July 29th, 2021, 4:22 amBut if pleasure and pain are simple matters of electrons in brains why does it matter how much pleasure of pain is felt? And it does matter how much pleasure and pain is felt. The materialist can't escape the absurdity of denying mind as something more basic to reality than an array of epiphenomena.
Materialism can but needn't be epiphenomenalistic about experience. Reductive materialism isn't, because according to it experiences are (constituted by) nonepiphenomenal neural processes.

QUOTE>
"Related to, but not identical with, mood is the phenomenon that for any conscious state there is some degree of pleasure or unpleasure. Or rather, one might say, there is some position on a scale that includes the ordinary notions of pleasure and unpleasure. So, for any conscious experience you have, it makes sense to ask, Did you enjoy it? Was it fun? Did you have a good time, bad time, boring time, amusing time? Was it disgusting, delightful, or depressing? The pleasure/unpleasure dimension is pervasive where consciousness is concerned."

(Searle, John R. Mind: A Brief Introduction. New York: Oxford University Press, 2004. p. 141)
<QUOTE

The pleasure/unpleasure dimension is called the valence of experience = "the value associated with a stimulus as expressed on a continuum from pleasant to unpleasant or from attractive to aversive." (APA Dictionary of Psychology)
Belindi wrote: July 29th, 2021, 4:22 amIt is indeed mind that evaluates plants and non-living events such as mountains, crystals, works of art, religions, universities, or political ideologies.
It's surely minded beings who do so.
Belindi wrote: July 29th, 2021, 4:22 amRegarding quantum physics, uncertainty is a basic problem for the materialistic determinist.
There is a deterministic quantum-physical theory—Bohmian mechanics—that can handle that problem.
Belindi wrote: July 29th, 2021, 4:22 amIt is true that a scientist may be a Berkeleyan idealist. George Berkeley is the sceptic par excellence. For the Berkeleyan , God and His pre-existing harmony is a matter of faith that does not detract from scientific scepticism. Many philosophically aware Christians and Muslims are excellent scientists.
A scientific "sceptic par excellence"? I'm anything but a Berkeley expert, but he doesn't seem to be a sceptic about scientific knowledge and scientific explanations. See: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/berkeley/#3.2.3

QUOTE>
"It is a famous anomaly of recent science that while an influential number of physicists, once supposed to be students of physical nature, are suggesting that only conscious experience exists, an equally influential number of psychologists, once supposed to be students of consciousness, have suggested that only physical nature exists."

(Williams, Donald Cary. "The Existence of Consciousness." In Principles of Empirical Realism: Philosophical Essays, 23-40. Springfield, IL: Charles C Thomas, 1966. p. 23)
<QUOTE

8)
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Belindi wrote: July 29th, 2021, 4:22 am Regarding psychiatry, if I or my loved ones had a clinical psychosis I'd be unhappy with a therapy that offered mind altering drugs but no reassurance that the sufferer's feelings of pain were understood and addressed by the clinician.
In my experience, so-called therapies offered to - or forced upon? - those with mental health issues are intended to benefit neurotypical society, not the patient. Neurodiverse people are not liked, or even tolerated, by society, so they are taught (forced) to behave more like neurotypical people. No thought is given to the welfare of the patient, or to helping them to deal with the social rejection that causes many (most?) of their problems. 'Therapies' include mind-altering drugs, of course, as well as things like ABA, created by the same team who invented 'gay conversion therapy'. 🤬

So I agree with your words and your sentiment. It's nice to see a more understanding viewpoint than is common.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Belindi wrote: July 29th, 2021, 4:22 amRegarding quantum physics, uncertainty is a basic problem for the materialistic determinist.
Consul wrote: July 29th, 2021, 9:41 am There is a deterministic quantum-physical theory—Bohmian mechanics—that can handle that problem.
I just followed your link, and found this:
In particular, when a particle is sent into a two-slit apparatus, the slit through which it passes and its location upon arrival on the photographic plate are completely determined by its initial position and wave function.
The thing is that recent experiments, running single particles through the double-slit apparatus, have found that they apparently pass through both slits, interfere with themselves, and then provide the familiar scatter pattern associated with interference. Thus, the "slit through which it passes" is not a correct or relevant observation. The particle seems to pass through both slits. That seems to show that "Bohmian mechanics" is incorrect.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Consul wrote: July 29th, 2021, 9:41 am
Belindi wrote: July 29th, 2021, 4:22 amBut if pleasure and pain are simple matters of electrons in brains why does it matter how much pleasure of pain is felt? And it does matter how much pleasure and pain is felt. The materialist can't escape the absurdity of denying mind as something more basic to reality than an array of epiphenomena.
Materialism can but needn't be epiphenomenalistic about experience. Reductive materialism isn't, because according to it experiences are (constituted by) nonepiphenomenal neural processes.

QUOTE>
"Related to, but not identical with, mood is the phenomenon that for any conscious state there is some degree of pleasure or unpleasure. Or rather, one might say, there is some position on a scale that includes the ordinary notions of pleasure and unpleasure. So, for any conscious experience you have, it makes sense to ask, Did you enjoy it? Was it fun? Did you have a good time, bad time, boring time, amusing time? Was it disgusting, delightful, or depressing? The pleasure/unpleasure dimension is pervasive where consciousness is concerned."

(Searle, John R. Mind: A Brief Introduction. New York: Oxford University Press, 2004. p. 141)
<QUOTE

The pleasure/unpleasure dimension is called the valence of experience = "the value associated with a stimulus as expressed on a continuum from pleasant to unpleasant or from attractive to aversive." (APA Dictionary of Psychology)
Belindi wrote: July 29th, 2021, 4:22 amIt is indeed mind that evaluates plants and non-living events such as mountains, crystals, works of art, religions, universities, or political ideologies.
It's surely minded beings who do so.
There is a deterministic quantum-physical theory—Bohmian mechanics—that can handle that problem.
Belindi wrote: July 29th, 2021, 4:22 amIt is true that a scientist may be a Berkeleyan idealist. George Berkeley is the sceptic par excellence. For the Berkeleyan , God and His pre-existing harmony is a matter of faith that does not detract from scientific scepticism. Many philosophically aware Christians and Muslims are excellent scientists.
A scientific "sceptic par excellence"? I'm anything but a Berkeley expert, but he doesn't seem to be a sceptic about scientific knowledge and scientific explanations. See: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/berkeley/#3.2.3

QUOTE>
"It is a famous anomaly of recent science that while an influential number of physicists, once supposed to be students of physical nature, are suggesting that only conscious experience exists, an equally influential number of psychologists, once supposed to be students of consciousness, have suggested that only physical nature exists."

(Williams, Donald Cary. "The Existence of Consciousness." In Principles of Empirical Realism: Philosophical Essays, 23-40. Springfield, IL: Charles C Thomas, 1966. p. 23)
<QUOTE

8)
If several individuals' minds were physically, neurologically, linked, let's say by some adventurous neurosurgeon, then qualia would probably be the same for all the individual subjects. Obviously the experiment would not be ethical. As human reality stands, individuals are subjects of unique qualitative experiences. Subjectivity is so real that when a subject is asked to rate a feeling on a scale of 1-10 the reports are extremely fuzzy and say possibly more about the subject's state of stoicism than objective measurement. (Naturally the subject's stoical courage or optimism is a consideration for a clinician).

Regarding David Bohm, I like to believe that the working of nature is an ordered affair. It is many years since I read his book, and I had to skip the chapter on physics.
The result of the EPR experiment affects me so that I suspend my disbelief. However it does suit my leaning towards idealism(immaterialism) that locality is superimposed upon nature by conscious animals. I am pragmatic about plants 'deserving ' of moral status, and I prefer to claim that if we are prudent we will grant moral status to plants rather as people do who live very close to non-human nature. However we do know that 'plants' may be and often are composed of several individuals, as people know who are plagued with Japanese knotweed.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: July 27th, 2021, 6:15 pm
Consul wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:11 pmMy contention is that even minimal P-consciousness requires a cognitive apparatus capable of accessing and processing (operating on) it (its experiential content). I also maintain that such an apparatus can only be physiologically realized by a CNS.
Do you agree that very small things or dynamics can seem to be invisible - as if nothing at all - from the perspective of much larger things or dynamics
Yes, but experiences cannot (literally) be small or large. Anyway, the only consciousness that is "visible" to me is mine, since it's the only one I have introspective access to.

Conscious processing evolved from nonconscious cognitive processing (as defined below), which requires a CNS. You cannot have consciousness without a mind, i.e. without certain cognitive abilities.

I don't know what's still experiential about an experience of which its subject isn't cognitively conscious in any way. Nonconscious, noncognized experience seems no different from nonexperience; and even if (cognitively) nonconscious experience occurs, nobody will ever be able to tell us what it's like to undergo such an experience, since verbal reports about an experience depend on the subject's (cognitive) consciousness of it.

QUOTE>
"Here, cognition will be used to refer to the ability to form representations and use them to guide behavior—as when you refer to a mental spatial map when planning a route and using the plan to drive to your destination. …[T]hese basic cognitive capacities, like outcome-dependent instrumental responses, are present in mammals and birds, but have not been demonstrated in other species."

(LeDoux, Joseph. The Deep History of Ourselves: The Four-Billion-Year Story of How We Got Conscious Brains. New York: Viking, 2019. p. 34)

"If we are going to explore cognition from an evolutionary point of view, we need a precise definition of what it is. As used here, cognition will refer to processes that underlie the acquisition of knowledge by creating internal representations of external events and storing them as memories that can later be used in thinking, reminiscing, and musing, and when behaving. Its dependence on internal representations of things or events, in the absence of the external referent of the representation, is what makes cognition different from noncognitive forms of information processing. Given this definition, processes that allow behavioral responses to an immediately present stimulus are not, strictly speaking, under cognitive control. Only responses that depend on internal representations are."

(LeDoux, Joseph. The Deep History of Ourselves: The Four-Billion-Year Story of How We Got Conscious Brains. New York: Viking, 2019. pp. 205-6)
<QUOTE
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Consul wrote: August 6th, 2021, 4:38 pm
Sy Borg wrote: July 27th, 2021, 6:15 pm
Consul wrote: July 27th, 2021, 12:11 pmMy contention is that even minimal P-consciousness requires a cognitive apparatus capable of accessing and processing (operating on) it (its experiential content). I also maintain that such an apparatus can only be physiologically realized by a CNS.
Do you agree that very small things or dynamics can seem to be invisible - as if nothing at all - from the perspective of much larger things or dynamics
Yes, but experiences cannot (literally) be small or large.
What of greater or lesser intensity, range of sensory input and constancy?
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sy Borg wrote: August 6th, 2021, 5:09 pm
Consul wrote: August 6th, 2021, 4:38 pmYes, but experiences cannot (literally) be small or large.
What of greater or lesser intensity, range of sensory input and constancy?
Such differences exist; but the crucial question concerns the capacity for any sort of experience at all, no matter how intense it is.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream