Ethical Vaccine Distribution

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
WanderingGaze22

Ethical Vaccine Distribution

Post by WanderingGaze22 »

I am sure this dilemma is not unfamiliar with most of the world, but with the COVID, I feel this experiment could help identify and understand numerous perspectives. A terrible pandemic is raging across the globe. A vaccine has finally been developed. Producing this vaccine is lengthy will take time before there are enough vaccines for everyone. However, each week new vaccines become available for distribution. In this scenario, you are in charge of distributing vaccines for your country. What is the most ethical approach to vaccine distribution in your country where there are not initially enough vaccines for everyone? How do you prioritize who will get the vaccine first? What factors do you consider and which do you not? How will you work to ensure vaccine distribution is fair, equitable, and reaches the maximum amount of people?

Every tactic is appreciated and the more explanations, the better.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Re: Ethical Vaccine Distribution

Post by chewybrian »

I would downplay the problem, prioritize the economy over people, fight any attempts to solve the problem, and then try to claim credit when others took action. When I was defeated in the next election, I would cry foul and claim shenanigans, failing to realize that I would likely have won if I acted responsibly in the first place.

Seriously, I would defer to the experts and use the strategy that would likely save the most lives. It might mean distributing the vaccines to the hardest hit areas first. But, if Fauci and the rest said that we could save more people by inoculating in areas where the virus hadn't hit first, then I would listen to them, even though the public might not see the wisdom of that strategy. I would give it to the youngest or the oldest first--whichever should save the most people in the end. I would value all lives equally in these considerations, not giving preference by age or wealth or anything else. You would get the vaccine if your getting it first was likely to contribute to the lowest possible death toll in the end.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

First, vaccinate those most in danger of dying from COVID19. Second, vaccinate those most likely to carry and spread the disease, especially those working with the vulnerable in some way (e.g. care home staff). In the face of vaccine shortages, what else could one do?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

First, vaccinate the first responders.
(Critically needed to aid others.)

Second, caregivers, nurses and medical personnel.
(Also needed for the sake of others.)

Next, those with medical conditions.
(Those who are most vulnerable.)

Then those who are over 80 years old.
(Those who are also at high risk.)

Then over 65.
(Relatively at high risk.)

Over 45.
(Moderate risk.)

21 & under as approved for the vaccine.
(Moderate risk.)

All others.
(22 - 44 least risk.)
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Basically do it the way it was actually done.
"As usual... it depends."
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

Ethical vaccine distribution starts with giving it to those who understand the risks/ benefits involved. Given that the vaccine was first distributed among captive, unwilling animals it is pretty clear that too few of us care about ethical vaccine distribution otherwise we would be jailing all the scientific community involved in the development of the vaccine.
Unethical scientists don't develop vaccines for people but simply because they rush to create something that naive people will want to buy.
In today's world, economic rules dictate how the vaccine will be distributed. If you care about ethics, go vegan or you need to be considered hypocritical, which is not really ethical. Going vegan means to reject products tested on animals, including the life saving products recently created by capitalists who caused the deadly problem in the first place and who try to present their evil products as the solution.
Watch out for the hidden paradoxes around you!
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: October 25th, 2021, 6:19 am Ethical vaccine distribution starts with giving it to those who understand the risks/ benefits involved. Given that the vaccine was first distributed among captive, unwilling animals it is pretty clear that too few of us care about ethical vaccine distribution otherwise we would be jailing all the scientific community involved in the development of the vaccine.
Unethical scientists don't develop vaccines for people but simply because they rush to create something that naive people will want to buy.
In today's world, economic rules dictate how the vaccine will be distributed. If you care about ethics, go vegan or you need to be considered hypocritical, which is not really ethical. Going vegan means to reject products tested on animals, including the life saving products recently created by capitalists who caused the deadly problem in the first place and who try to present their evil products as the solution.
Ethics is principally for humans, not animals.
I doubt that you would want to offer yourself in place of an animal for testing, though there is not doubt you have gained much by their sacrifice.
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

Sculptor1 wrote: October 25th, 2021, 6:27 am
Empiricist-Bruno wrote: October 25th, 2021, 6:19 am Ethical vaccine distribution starts with giving it to those who understand the risks/ benefits involved. Given that the vaccine was first distributed among captive, unwilling animals it is pretty clear that too few of us care about ethical vaccine distribution otherwise we would be jailing all the scientific community involved in the development of the vaccine.
I doubt that you would want to offer yourself in place of an animal for testing, though there is not doubt you have gained much by their sacrifice.
Where did you get that from? Many people consider themselves animals, no?

I certainly would offer myself for testing in certain circumstances such as if a rabid bat bit me and the first anti rabies vaccine was being offered as an experimental treatment. But you are correct to say that I would not volunteer to be given deliberately a deadly virus to see if my experimental vaccine was effective against it followed shortly after with me being killed so I could be dissected to see if the vaccine did indeed help or not fight the disease in my lungs.

I have gained much by their sacrifice?? That's pretty far fetched. I am embarrassed by appearing to be a part of species who attack mother nature thinking that they may be able to grow in wiseness that way. I currently feel totally devalued by my apparent association with the dominant others of my species. And then being informed that I am in fact a beneficiary of the sacrifices of these animals is implying/suggesting that I caused this. You right wing innocent psycho guys are killing me, stop it!
Watch out for the hidden paradoxes around you!
WanderingGaze22

AverageBozo wrote: October 24th, 2021, 11:58 am First, vaccinate the first responders.

Then over 65.

Over 45.
(Moderate risk.)

(Moderate risk.)

All others.
(22 - 44 least risk.)
Not bad, not bad at all.
WanderingGaze22

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 24th, 2021, 6:26 am Straightforward and basic, I like this approach.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

AverageBozo wrote: October 24th, 2021, 11:58 am First, vaccinate the first responders.

Then over 65.

Over 45.
(Moderate risk.)

(Moderate risk.)

All others.
(22 - 44 least risk.)
While it's good to protect the carers, it's the vulnerable who are at the greatest risk. It does no good to keep the carers safe if their patients catch covid; perhaps the vulnerable should be protected first?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Empiricist-Bruno wrote: October 25th, 2021, 5:38 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: October 25th, 2021, 6:27 am
Where did you get that from? Many people consider themselves animals, no?
Obfuscation.
Put it this way . Ethics is principally for humans, not NON-humans.

I certainly would offer myself for testing in certain circumstances such as if a rabid bat bit me and the first anti rabies vaccine was being offered as an experimental treatment. But you are correct to say that I would not volunteer to be given deliberately a deadly virus to see if my experimental vaccine was effective against it followed shortly after with me being killed so I could be dissected to see if the vaccine did indeed help or not fight the disease in my lungs.
And yet many humans dis EXACTLY that.
It's a pity that you rate pigs over your own species.

I have gained much by their sacrifice?? That's pretty far fetched.
It's only far fetched to a person who does not care about other people.
I am embarrassed by appearing to be a part of species who attack mother nature
We area a part of "mother nature", no?
thinking that they may be able to grow in wiseness that way. I currently feel totally devalued by my apparent association with the dominant others of my species. And then being informed that I am in fact a beneficiary of the sacrifices of these animals is implying/suggesting that I caused this. You right wing innocent psycho guys are killing me, stop it!
Insults are prohibited on this Forum.
I'm left wing - possibly the most left wing on the Forum.
Last edited by Sculptor1 on October 26th, 2021, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

Pattern-chaser wrote: October 26th, 2021, 7:12 am

Then over 65.

Over 45.
(Moderate risk.)

(Moderate risk.)

All others.
(22 - 44 least risk.)
While it's good to protect the carers, it's the vulnerable who are at the greatest risk. It does no good to keep the carers safe if their patients catch covid; perhaps the vulnerable should be protected first?
Could go either way—most vulnerable first or caregivers first.
mahfouz

Post by mahfouz »

AverageBozo wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:48 am

Then over 65.

Over 45.
(Moderate risk.)

(Moderate risk.)

All others.
(22 - 44 least risk.)
I remember an episode of Baywatch where a brash, young lifeguard trainee was asked if in a situation where they and a person they were rescuing were about to be driven into some rocks by a wave who would they protect? They quickly answered that they would put themselves in between the rescuee and the rocks to take the impact.

The trainer asked him who would rescue both of them if the trainee became too hurt to continue the rescue.
AverageBozo

Post by AverageBozo »

mahfouz wrote: October 26th, 2021, 11:49 am
AverageBozo wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:48 am

Then over 65.

Over 45.
(Moderate risk.)

(Moderate risk.)

All others.
(22 - 44 least risk.)
I remember an episode of Baywatch where a brash, young lifeguard trainee was asked if in a situation where they and a person they were rescuing were about to be driven into some rocks by a wave who would they protect? They quickly answered that they would put themselves in between the rescuee and the rocks to take the impact.

The trainer asked him who would rescue both of them if the trainee became too hurt to continue the rescue.
And that’s why I started my list the way I did. However, a case could be made for starting with the elderly since first responders and caregivers are presumably less vulnerable and therefore sufficient numbers of them will still be available. As a former field medic I prefer the Baywatch approach.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream