Should people have a right to privacy?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Should people have a right to privacy?

Post by Sy Borg »

doxing

- search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the internet, typically with malicious intent.
"Typically" with malicious intent, but not necessarily. The person doing the exposing might be simply wanting the truth to be told, damn the cost.

Many would question why should a person should have a problem with the truth being spoken about them. If they have done nothing wrong, they say, they have nothing to hide. If they are harmed by the truth, the logic goes, that does not matter. Of course, whose "truth" is another matter.

How do you see the ethics around privacy and how feasible are regulatory responses to protect people's privacy in today's world?
LuckyR

Re: Should people have a right to privacy?

Post by LuckyR »

Sy Borg wrote: May 25th, 2022, 1:55 am
doxing

- search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the internet, typically with malicious intent.
"Typically" with malicious intent, but not necessarily. The person doing the exposing might be simply wanting the truth to be told, damn the cost.

Many would question why should a person should have a problem with the truth being spoken about them. If they have done nothing wrong, they say, they have nothing to hide. If they are harmed by the truth, the logic goes, that does not matter. Of course, whose "truth" is another matter.

How do you see the ethics around privacy and how feasible are regulatory responses to protect people's privacy in today's world?
Great question. First, just about everyone assumes that they (and others) have a "right" to "privacy", referring specifically to information. This is a legal illusion. Very little information is truly private, legally. True, a lot of information is essentially secret, but that is different from private. If no one cares enough about your information to bother to find it, it is secret, yet is NOT private (if someone expended the energy to collect it).

Your internet information comment is a perfect example of this. Because one can post comments alone in a room under a pseudonym, folks assume they are anonymous and also private, when in fact unless one takes uncommon (though not difficult) steps to anonymize themselves, they, in fact are leaving a much more traceable digital footprint than could possibly exist before the internet. On a related note, information that was effectively secret before computers is now neither secret nor private (it never was private, even before search engines, but folks confused secret with private).

My motto is: never post anything online that you would not feel comfortable seeing on a billboard with your signature underneath it.
"As usual... it depends."
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

doxing

Morally, I think we have a duty to respect others' privacy unless and until they choose to become a public figure. I have a close friend who loves to spy on people on the internet. He can discover all sorts of things about you that might surprise you. I refuse to play along with him in this, but he doesn't see why I have a problem with it.

The regulation of the problem would likely prove difficult, along the lines of slander or libel. I would carve out exemptions for people who trade on their persona and those in a position of public trust, and then try to protect the privacy of the rest of us as far as reasonably possible. Even though the courts don't seem to find a constitutional right to privacy, I think they do proceed somewhat on that line. But, just like with slander or libel, intent can be tough to prove, and the damage may be done before the victim can settle their case.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Sy Borg wrote: May 25th, 2022, 1:55 am How do you see the ethics around privacy and how feasible are regulatory responses to protect people's privacy in today's world?
If there is something about me that is wholly unknown to any other person, privacy is guaranteed. In all other cases, privacy must be granted to us by others. I think the ethics are fairly straightforward. If someone wishes to keep something to themselves, and there is no good reason to make that something known, then we should grant that person 'privacy'. I suppose the crux of the matter is 'what is good reason'?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

LuckyR wrote: May 25th, 2022, 2:20 am
Great question. First, just about everyone assumes that they (and others) have a "right" to "privacy", referring specifically to information.
As I mentioned in another thread, "privacy" has two meanings. One, as you mention below, is "secret, something the public does not know or is not entitled to know." The other is "personal, individual, not public or common." E.g., "private property" denotes property owned by a particular person, and is distinguished from common, or public property. But it is not secret. Similarly, whom one marries is a private decision in the personal sense; it is not a decision for "the public" to make. But it is not secret, either. The "right to privacy" enunciated by the US Supreme Court in Griswold v. Connecticut --- and relied upon in Roe v. Wade --- is privacy in the "personal" sense, not the "secret" sense. There is no constitutional right to keep secrets.
This is a legal illusion. Very little information is truly private, legally. True, a lot of information is essentially secret, but that is different from private. If no one cares enough about your information to bother to find it, it is secret, yet is NOT private (if someone expended the energy to collect it).
Yes indeed.

So I think Sy's question is, Is there a "right" to keep secrets, and grounds for the State to punish someone who learns (let's assume by legal means) your secret and discloses/publishes it?

There is an exception to the right of free speech for speech that is libelous or slanderous. Should there be a similar exception for speech that reveals some's secret?

There is one class of cases where disclosing secrets is punishable, namely, when the discloser violates a non-disclosure agreement (NDE). But the tort there is breach of contract, not revealing a secret per se. Anyone not bound by such an agreement who learned the secret could not be punished for revealing it.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Hypothetical: You're standing behind another person in a supermarket checkout line. That person runs her credit card through the scanner. You have a photographic memory, see the card, and commit all the info on it to memory. Then you go home and publish that information on a sketchy website. Within hours, dozens of people all over the post charges to that card, amounting to thousands of dollars, until the bank finally cancels the card. You post no charges yourself. Have you committed any crime? Have you behaved immorally?
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

"all over the world"
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

doxing

It is possible to ruin someone's life by finding out about details, such as personal difficulties and publishing it, especially if the information is slightly wrong or twisted in some way. The kinds of information which I am thinking about is that of medical information, including mental health issues. Also, relationship issues could be revealed with harmful intent. In particular, there is so much scandal and gossip about famous celebrities and, so much may be exaggerated like Chinese whispers.

With most people there is less likelihood of people paying much attention but with the increasing amount of information which does appear on the internet, it would be easy to target an enemy. Also, people's use of media sites can be traced by potential employers and agencies, such as the benefits office and probably many other organisations.

Some people may suggest that it only matters if someone has done something 'wrong'. However, it may not be that simple because information taken at face value may be taken out of context or distorted in some ways.

Gradually, more and more information is being shared, especially medical details. When I was working in healthcare there were basic guidelines for protecting information, known as information governance. However, it may become easier for people to hack into information through greater access through agencies. There was the Hippocratic Oath which was meant to provide confidentiality but with the use of data stored on computers and the idea of it being available for third parties, such as A and E departments, more and more people have access to personal details.

Also, the use of open planned units seems to be more commonplace. For example, when I was visiting my mother in hospital, when I was seeking information I expected to be given a private space for talking and this did not happen, even when I requested it. I have also found in organisations like the banks and chemists people are discussing my details, such as name and address without any privacy in recent times. I am not sure how much other people have noticed this but it does appear to me that the right to privacy is being eroded gradually, certainly in England. Some people may question whether there is a right to privacy but the loss of it may make people less safe from crime and also there is a loss of sensitivity to personal issues, as if people are numbers, rather than the nature of personal identity being valued.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

GE Morton wrote: May 25th, 2022, 12:42 pm
LuckyR wrote: May 25th, 2022, 2:20 am
Great question. First, just about everyone assumes that they (and others) have a "right" to "privacy", referring specifically to information.
As I mentioned in another thread, "privacy" has two meanings. One, as you mention below, is "secret, something the public does not know or is not entitled to know." The other is "personal, individual, not public or common." E.g., "private property" denotes property owned by a particular person, and is distinguished from common, or public property. But it is not secret. Similarly, whom one marries is a private decision in the personal sense; it is not a decision for "the public" to make. But it is not secret, either. The "right to privacy" enunciated by the US Supreme Court in Griswold v. Connecticut --- and relied upon in Roe v. Wade --- is privacy in the "personal" sense, not the "secret" sense. There is no constitutional right to keep secrets.
This is a legal illusion. Very little information is truly private, legally. True, a lot of information is essentially secret, but that is different from private. If no one cares enough about your information to bother to find it, it is secret, yet is NOT private (if someone expended the energy to collect it).
Yes indeed.

So I think Sy's question is, Is there a "right" to keep secrets, and grounds for the State to punish someone who learns (let's assume by legal means) your secret and discloses/publishes it?

There is an exception to the right of free speech for speech that is libelous or slanderous. Should there be a similar exception for speech that reveals some's secret?

There is one class of cases where disclosing secrets is punishable, namely, when the discloser violates a non-disclosure agreement (NDE). But the tort there is breach of contract, not revealing a secret per se. Anyone not bound by such an agreement who learned the secret could not be punished for revealing it.
I agree, I think that is Sy's question.

So the answer is that since the information is likely not legally private, disclosing it (republishing information that is already published in an obscure and seldom visited, yet perfectly public location), is perfectly legal and ethical, though I agree violates most folks' moral code.

It is something that is "wrong" for a friend to do, is neutral for a stranger to do and most would expect an enemy to do.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

GE Morton wrote: May 25th, 2022, 12:56 pm Hypothetical: You're standing behind another person in a supermarket checkout line. That person runs her credit card through the scanner. You have a photographic memory, see the card, and commit all the info on it to memory. Then you go home and publish that information on a sketchy website. Within hours, dozens of people all over the post charges to that card, amounting to thousands of dollars, until the bank finally cancels the card. You post no charges yourself. Have you committed any crime? Have you behaved immorally?
To my mind this case is a perfect example of conspiracy to commit a crime. One is the good memory publisher and the other is the fraudulent charger. Under US law they would be equally culpable.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

LuckyR wrote: May 26th, 2022, 1:58 am
GE Morton wrote: May 25th, 2022, 12:56 pm Hypothetical: You're standing behind another person in a supermarket checkout line. That person runs her credit card through the scanner. You have a photographic memory, see the card, and commit all the info on it to memory. Then you go home and publish that information on a sketchy website. Within hours, dozens of people all over the post charges to that card, amounting to thousands of dollars, until the bank finally cancels the card. You post no charges yourself. Have you committed any crime? Have you behaved immorally?
To my mind this case is a perfect example of conspiracy to commit a crime. One is the good memory publisher and the other is the fraudulent charger. Under US law they would be equally culpable.
It would not be a conspiracy unless the discloser and the fraudulent charger were in communication and working from a common plan. But the discloser could be charged with aiding and abetting a felony.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

LuckyR wrote: May 26th, 2022, 1:51 am
It is something that is "wrong" for a friend to do, is neutral for a stranger to do and most would expect an enemy to do.
I agree. It is wrong for a friend to do because it violates an implicit --- and sometimes and explicit --- promise.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: May 26th, 2022, 1:51 amSo the answer is that since the information is likely not legally private, disclosing it (republishing information that is already published in an obscure and seldom visited, yet perfectly public location), is perfectly legal and ethical, though I agree violates most folks' moral code.

Nicely put. However, strangers and enemies today are often the same thing, eg. Richard Dawkins receiving death threats for his comments about evolution and creationism.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

GE Morton wrote: May 26th, 2022, 10:53 am
LuckyR wrote: May 26th, 2022, 1:58 am
It would not be a conspiracy unless the discloser and the fraudulent charger were in communication and working from a common plan. But the discloser could be charged with aiding and abetting a felony.
A sharp lawyer can convince 12 citizens that the website is the modern, digital version of communication.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sy Borg wrote: May 26th, 2022, 9:30 pm
LuckyR wrote: May 26th, 2022, 1:51 amSo the answer is that since the information is likely not legally private, disclosing it (republishing information that is already published in an obscure and seldom visited, yet perfectly public location), is perfectly legal and ethical, though I agree violates most folks' moral code.

Nicely put. However, strangers and enemies today are often the same thing, eg. Richard Dawkins receiving death threats for his comments about evolution and creationism.
I don't disagree, though the whole social media death "threat", is a misuse of the word threat. Some yahoo sitting in his mother's bssement in his underwear with a laptop, 2000 miles away from someone typing: "I hope you die", isn't really a credible threat. It's more of an attempt at an insult. It's brought up by the victim to try to garner a combination of gravitas and sympathy.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream