Would you murder an innocent child with your bare hands to cure cancer?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Would you murder an innocent child with your bare hands to cure cancer?

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Nganyi Humphrey wrote: December 16th, 2022, 1:16 am I would not indulge myself in the murder of an innocent child. First of all, the child is not in any way responsible for the existence of cancer.
I agree. This is a prefect summary of my own answer as well.

I am not a full-blown pacifist, in that I support the use of defensive force to defend against non-defensive violence. For example, I support the use of as much force as necessary, including lethal force if necessary, against a murderer to stop the murderer from committing murder.

The key difference between such defensive uses of force versus utilitarian violence is whether the victim of the force/violence is the one who initiated the non-defensive violence as opposed to being an innocent bystander.

Thus, for example, I would not intentionally murder an innocent child as a way to prevent other murders from occurring (nor to cure cancer).

Unfortunately, my view is not the norm. Most people do not oppose all forms of murder (i.e. intentional non-defensive killing) of living, breathing, brain-alive humans. That is, at least accord to my poll in the following in which 2/3rds of respondents answered that they do support murder (a.k.a. "intentional non-defensive killing") of living, breathing, brain-alive humans in some cases:

Intentional non-defensive killing [a.k.a. murder] - Do you always oppose it?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
ilze herholdt
Premium Member

Post by ilze herholdt »

This is an interesting question to say the least. To sacrifice one life so that millions of others can continue to live seems like the ethical thing to do. On the other hand humans are all born with cancer cells and therefore cancer is a natural disease that can occur to any of us. So therefore, it is selfish to murder a baby with your bare hands to cure cancer.
PuerAzaelis
Premium Member

Post by PuerAzaelis »

Isn't there something in The Brothers Karamazov like this - Ivan asks Alyosha whether the salvation of the world would be worth the torture of one little girl or some such?

EDIT

Here it is

"Tell me honestly, I challenge you – answer me: imagine that you are charged with building the edifice of human destiny, whose ultimate aim is to bring people happiness, to give them peace and contentment at last, but that in order to achieve this it is essential and unavoidable to torture just one little speck of creation, that same little child beating her breast with her little fists, and imagine that this edifice has to be erected on her unexpiated tears. Would you agree to be the architect under those conditions? Tell me honestly!”

“No, I wouldn’t agree,” said Alyosha quietly.
Samantha Barnes 3
Premium Member

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

No, I would not murder an innocent child to cure cancer. My reason is selfish, though: I would not be able to live with the guilt. Even if I were blamed for letting countless others die, the guilt of taking another life with my bare hands would be significantly worse.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Samantha Barnes 3 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 9:09 am No, I would not murder an innocent child to cure cancer. My reason is selfish, though: I would not be able to live with the guilt. Even if I were blamed for letting countless others die, the guilt of taking another life with my bare hands would be significantly worse.
Would you support a sociopath doing the murder so you and your family can avoid cancer?
"As usual... it depends."
Samantha Barnes 3
Premium Member

LuckyR wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:04 pm
Samantha Barnes 3 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 9:09 am No, I would not murder an innocent child to cure cancer. My reason is selfish, though: I would not be able to live with the guilt. Even if I were blamed for letting countless others die, the guilt of taking another life with my bare hands would be significantly worse.
Would you support a sociopath doing the murder so you and your family can avoid cancer?
As long as I did not have to kill the child with my hands, then yes, I could support a sociopath doing the murder. It would be easier to distance myself from the thought of committing murder if the child was not killed by my hands.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Samantha Barnes 3 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:25 pm
As long as I did not have to kill the child with my hands, then yes, I could support a sociopath doing the murder. It would be easier to distance myself from the thought of committing murder if the child was not killed by my hands.
So you embrace the concept morally.
Samantha Barnes 3
Premium Member

LuckyR wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:26 pm
I may not have been certain at the start, but after this discussion, I believe I do. Even though I would still feel uneasy, it would be possible to embrace the concept as long as it was someone else.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Samantha Barnes 3 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:43 pm
LuckyR wrote: January 27th, 2023, 1:26 pm

I may not have been certain at the start, but after this discussion, I believe I do. Even though I would still feel uneasy, it would be possible to embrace the concept as long as it was someone else.
You are uncommonly honest.
Amy Luman
Premium Member

Post by Amy Luman »

Nope. I couldn’t do it. There is no reason to even think of the other people. The real life that I can save is better than any number of hypothetical lives that might be saved. That’s all there is.
Newme

Post by Newme »

Scott wrote: January 18th, 2023, 6:04 pm
Scott wrote: May 5th, 2021, 5:14 pmEx hypothesi, the utilitarian thing to do is to murder the child with your bare hands. If you are a utilitarian, and not a hypocrite, then it seems the answer is simple: You would murder the child with your bare hands while the child begs to live.

However, if, like me, you are not a utilitarian, then your answer is likely different.

So would you murder the child?

More simply, would you murder one innocent child with your bare hands to save multiple other innocent people?

My answer is clarified in detail in my topic, Man Is Not Fit to Govern Man. But the short version is this: I strictly choose to not engage in non-defensive non-consensual violence against my fellow human being, such as murder, rape, or slavery. Thus, I would not murder the child.

It's so simple for me, actually. No moral dilemma at all. No anxiety. No complex math. No shoulds. No oughts. No try. In that way, it's so easy to have inner peace. As long as I'm not murdering someone or such, I have inner peace. I could spot an asteroid flying towards the Earth about to kill us all with no hope of rescue for us, but as long as I know I am playing my cards the best I can (according to my simple easy-to-follow self-chosen rules such as no murdering), then I have inner peace. It's so simple, so easy, and so enjoyable to live like this. :)
Newme wrote: January 17th, 2023, 4:08 pm Many already do for much less.
That's off-topic. I'm not asking you if others do it. I am asking if you would do it.

So I ask again, would you murder an innocent child with your bare hands to cure cancer?

Would you murder one innocent child with your bare hands to save multiple other innocent people?
No I wouldn’t.
But don’t you think a question/answer that involves common behavior (abortion is the #1 cause of death) as more realistic than a hypothetical one that has never reportedly happened?
“Empty is the argument of the philosopher which does not relieve any human suffering.” - Epicurus
Meghan Sica
Premium Member

Post by Meghan Sica »

Wow! What a question. Really makes you ponder if you could do evil for the greater good. I could not do something that extreme. My conscience would suffer greatly. Even if many people were cured, there would be one child who had to suffer.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Scott wrote: May 5th, 2021, 5:14 pmEx hypothesi, the utilitarian thing to do is to murder the child with your bare hands. If you are a utilitarian, and not a hypocrite, then it seems the answer is simple: You would murder the child with your bare hands while the child begs to live.

However, if, like me, you are not a utilitarian, then your answer is likely different.

So would you murder the child?

More simply, would you murder one innocent child with your bare hands to save multiple other innocent people?

My answer is clarified in detail in my topic, Man Is Not Fit to Govern Man. But the short version is this: I strictly choose to not engage in non-defensive non-consensual violence against my fellow human being, such as murder, rape, or slavery. Thus, I would not murder the child.

It's so simple for me, actually. No moral dilemma at all. No anxiety. No complex math. No shoulds. No oughts. No try. In that way, it's so easy to have inner peace. As long as I'm not murdering someone or such, I have inner peace. I could spot an asteroid flying towards the Earth about to kill us all with no hope of rescue for us, but as long as I know I am playing my cards the best I can (according to my simple easy-to-follow self-chosen rules such as no murdering), then I have inner peace. It's so simple, so easy, and so enjoyable to live like this. :)
Newme wrote: January 17th, 2023, 4:08 pm Many already do for much less.
Scott wrote: January 18th, 2023, 6:04 pm That's off-topic. I'm not asking you if others do it. I am asking if you would do it.

So I ask again, would you murder an innocent child with your bare hands to cure cancer?

Would you murder one innocent child with your bare hands to save multiple other innocent people?
Newme wrote: February 6th, 2023, 4:43 pmNo I wouldn’t.
Neither would I. We agree. :)

Newme wrote: February 6th, 2023, 4:43 pm don’t you think a question/answer that involves common behavior [...] as more realistic than a hypothetical one
Yes, of course. Non-hypothetical questions are more realistic than hypothetical ones.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Carter Blunt

Post by Carter Blunt »

Nope, I don't think anyone has a right to compel others to sacrifice. Fairness is the rules agreed on by all parties, and my core principle. I also reject the idea that anyone's happiness can make up for another person's suffering, unless of course that person consented to suffer. No kink shaming.
Darshan

Post by Darshan »

Earthellism deals with such difficult questions. These type of questions can be seen as the work of the Devil. God is Love and Love is God and here on earthell (hell on earth) and Love and Karma is present but God is in Heaven. Love and Karma rules here and God would never ask a human being to make an impossible decision. The only real answer to this impossible question is that I would call out the Devil for this question and offer my own life and save the an innocent child but the Devil would not accept that altruistic sacrifice. This how human devils here on earthell operate. Hitler and Osama bin Laden and now Putin start a genocide this way in Poland and on 911 and now in Ukraine. Putin wants to destroy Ukraine to save Russia but he is a human devil asking soldiers to kill innocent men, women and children to save Russia. Putin like Hitler is the cancer destroying the world and either he dies or we all die. Putin cannot live in a World where Russia is not a new USSR so either we destroy the World to satisfy Putin or we kill Putin to save this World.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream