Prostitution should be FULLY legalised

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
amorphos_ii

Post by amorphos_ii »

I spoke to a young woman engaged in the profession, and she said ‘the men are desperate and need us’, to wit I said, yes, and in a weeks time they will be desperate and need you all over again, perpetually. Anyhow, there is a need or desire, and either way a society like our modern ones have prostitution.

The worse thing about that is how they are treated and how they are brought into the profession often through force. Which is why I feel it should be legalised. These girls need to be protected from pimps who sell their wares to the highest bidder who invariably treat them the worst.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: Prostitution should be FULLY legalised

Post by Pattern-chaser »

I see (at least) 3 views on prostitution.

The first is the incel view, that men are entitled to sex, and women should simply oblige them. I see no point or need to delve any deeper than this into the alarming and sinister world of the incel.

The second view is that a woman should have the choice to earn money by prostitution, and should be afforded suitable protection from abuse. I think this is your view?

The third view is that no woman would ever want to be a prostitute, if she had the choice, and it is only a male-dominated world that forces them to do it. This is a more radical feminist view, but still a view that is understandable, and reasonable according to its own standards.

I'm sure there are other views too.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 28th, 2023, 7:05 am I see (at least) 3 views on prostitution.

The first is the incel view, that men are entitled to sex, and women should simply oblige them. I see no point or need to delve any deeper than this into the alarming and sinister world of the incel.

The second view is that a woman should have the choice to earn money by prostitution, and should be afforded suitable protection from abuse. I think this is your view?

The third view is that no woman would ever want to be a prostitute, if she had the choice, and it is only a male-dominated world that forces them to do it. This is a more radical feminist view, but still a view that is understandable, and reasonable according to its own standards.

Of course, it isn't only women who become prostitutes. There is a big market for 'rent boys' too. Many people who turn to prostitution in order to survive and it may be more so, in an increasing time of financial struggle. I have also heard of women in particular often being in situations where they find that their landlords expect sex from them in addition to rent. There have been women who have been given support to come into this country and have found themselves arriving into a network of prostitution.

Prostitution demonstrates a portrait of inequalities. With it being illegal it does mean that it is hidden underworld of exploitation. There may be some people who engage in having sex for money because it brings them access to luxuries and privileges which they would not be able to access otherwise, so they feel that they are in control. However, to legalise it may be equivalent to condoning it which might be like making it acceptable to sell one's own kidneys, or other body parts.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Moreover, prostitution should be under the protection of the law, and regulated with health checks.

Right now police persecute prostitutes or go for freebies, to leave them alone.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

JackDaydream wrote: May 28th, 2023, 8:28 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 28th, 2023, 7:05 am I see (at least) 3 views on prostitution.

Of course, it isn't only women who become prostitutes. There is a big market for 'rent boys' too. Many people who turn to prostitution in order to survive and it may be more so, in an increasing time of financial struggle. I have also heard of women in particular often being in situations where they find that their landlords expect sex from them in addition to rent. There have been women who have been given support to come into this country and have found themselves arriving into a network of prostitution.

Prostitution demonstrates a portrait of inequalities. With it being illegal it does mean that it is hidden underworld of exploitation. There may be some people who engage in having sex for money because it brings them access to luxuries and privileges which they would not be able to access otherwise, so they feel that they are in control. However, to legalise it may be equivalent to condoning it which might be like making it acceptable to sell one's own kidneys, or other body parts.
You are a prostitute, and you analogy is false.
If you have ever had a 9-5 job then you have prostituted your body for your employer.
Making it illegal only encourages more inequality.
amorphos_ii

Post by amorphos_ii »

lol we are all prostitutes :)

Pattern chaser

yes I am concerned with the welfare of the women, and all other facets of the equation may be important but are secondary.

Not all whores are paid e.g. temple whores – not sure if they still exist, but that’s due to other changes rather than the need.

I concur on the third point. It is nearly always money but before contraception come to be, I think that after people have had 10 kids and watch some of them die by the time they are 35, then the woman too would want some kind of reprieve from that horror show. So yes all kinds of need rather than a desire to be a prostitute.

Jackdaydream

I don’t think there is a particular difference, so the same applies to any gender prostitute indeed.
Forced prostitution is a foremost concern especially with children.

Legalise it [for adults] and you get rid of most of that, although I fear the more extremes which pay more, would still manifest the illegal trade and gangs etc. one can only minimise the worst side of it, and then close the net in. ID [like a swipe card with more range] from birth would help a lot, along with detection systems that can tell if a given individual has no such ID. I would rather live in a world without ID, but that would be naive.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

amorphos_ii wrote: May 28th, 2023, 6:57 pm lol we are all prostitutes :)

Pattern chaser

yes I am concerned with the welfare of the women, and all other facets of the equation may be important but are secondary.

Not all whores are paid e.g. temple whores – not sure if they still exist, but that’s due to other changes rather than the need.

I concur on the third point. It is nearly always money but before contraception come to be, I think that after people have had 10 kids and watch some of them die by the time they are 35, then the woman too would want some kind of reprieve from that horror show. So yes all kinds of need rather than a desire to be a prostitute.

Jackdaydream

I don’t think there is a particular difference, so the same applies to any gender prostitute indeed.
Forced prostitution is a foremost concern especially with children.

Legalise it [for adults] and you get rid of most of that, although I fear the more extremes which pay more, would still manifest the illegal trade and gangs etc. one can only minimise the worst side of it, and then close the net in. ID [like a swipe card with more range] from birth would help a lot, along with detection systems that can tell if a given individual has no such ID. I would rather live in a world without ID, but that would be naive.
I am not sure that a swipe card system introduced into prostitution would be particularly helpful because it would just make it become institutionalised as a new norm for the techno/totalitarian age. Who would benefit, the people who make their living from it or those who come to it as a sexual outlet? It is not that I am judgmental morally of either group but just don't see that legalising it would help because as you say a lot would still take place underground in the form of gangs. But, I don't see that it is simply children who exploited. The networks are far more complex in dynamics.

Also, Sculptor1's point about work as 'prostitution' is important because it is about people being treated as commodities. As employees are expected to be more like machines the demands are becoming greater in work, with allegiances to institutions. The issue is about money as a form of control and exploitation, for sex or for other aspects of life. A lot of objections to prostitution are based on moral distaste, but the issue may go deeper and be about power and manipulation. The swipe card idea you suggest would be like making prostitution a new way of accessing sexual pleasure in a technological age, without questioning beyond questioning the role of money and its politics.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

I would favor decriminalization over legalization.
"As usual... it depends."
Konut
New Trial Member

Post by Konut »

Sculptor1 wrote: May 28th, 2023, 8:41 am

If you have ever had a 9-5 job then you have prostituted your body for your employer.
I agree to a part, prostitution is most leisure job women seek for, making this legal would be heaven to the most, and more vulnerable to normal social functionality.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Konut wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:08 am prostitution is most leisure job women seek for, making this legal would be heaven to the most...
So your position is that many or most women aspire to prostitution, as a way to make money and earn a living? Or have I misunderstood your words?

I have never heard this view expressed before. Do you have any real-world examples, or surveys, or ... anything that might support your view?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Konut wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:08 am
Sculptor1 wrote: May 28th, 2023, 8:41 am

I agree to a part, prostitution is most leisure job women seek for, making this legal would be heaven to the most, and more vulnerable to normal social functionality.
I have no idea what you mean by this statement.
Such as the phrase " most leisure job".

Prostitution, as such, is not everywhere illegal, though aspects of it are such as soliciting and pimping.
ALso running a "house of disrepute" is illegal.
The net effect of these subsidiary laws is to make prostitution dangerous to women.
Konut
New Trial Member

Post by Konut »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 29th, 2023, 10:15 am
Konut wrote: May 29th, 2023, 8:08 am prostitution is most leisure job women seek for, making this legal would be heaven to the most...
So your position is that many or most women aspire to prostitution, as a way to make money and earn a living? Or have I misunderstood your words?

I have never heard this view expressed before. Do you have any real-world examples, or surveys, or ... anything that might support your view?
This is my opinion and I do not defend this with any world example. However, if you keep a feminist view it is completly fine if you disagree.
Prostitution has been part of the society throughout history, that said, it would mean different to the POTUS and to a Jenitor but making this legal is the concern I am not in favor with.
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Post by Stoppelmann »

Sculptor1 wrote: May 28th, 2023, 8:41 am You are a prostitute, and you analogy is false.
Using the same word for different experiences doesn't make it the same. Just because the economic system we work in makes us sell our time and abilities to earn a living doesn't the same as the practice or occupation of engaging in sexual activity with someone for payment. I agree that in some cases it is just as degrading, but the invasion of privacy and violation that occurs in prostitution is far more degrading, even if people claim that prostitutes choose their profession - which in some cases has been said to be true. However, very often the disrespect is drowned by alcohol or some substance, and self-esteem is hard to come by even without this abuse.
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Stoppelmann wrote: May 30th, 2023, 12:34 am
Sculptor1 wrote: May 28th, 2023, 8:41 am You are a prostitute, and you analogy is false.
Using the same word for different experiences doesn't make it the same. Just because the economic system we work in makes us sell our time and abilities to earn a living doesn't the same as the practice or occupation of engaging in sexual activity with someone for payment. I agree that in some cases it is just as degrading, but the invasion of privacy and violation that occurs in prostitution is far more degrading, even if people claim that prostitutes choose their profession - which in some cases has been said to be true. However, very often the disrespect is drowned by alcohol or some substance, and self-esteem is hard to come by even without this abuse.
That would depend. This applies to SOME, but not all prostitutes. My feeling is that as the work can be degrading more than other jobs, then prostitution deserves more protection under the law, not more vilification by the authorities.
My father knew a professional who ran a dungeon. She had a list of well-to-do clients who would relish in being mildly humiliated for a fee. She ran a well-organised house, declared her income and paid her taxes under the description "personal services". The degradation was not towards her own person, but was her stock in trade to sell to her clients. There are many sex workers who are not touched by the client but provide dances, and some who appear in films as actors.

There is no doubt in my mind that as a profession the degree to which it might be "degrading" is proportional to the prejudice and disdain poured upon them by the moral and religious class. It is less about the act itself, and more about the fact that the work has to happen in a sordid environment; forced underground by religious prigs.
amorphos_ii

Post by amorphos_ii »

If legalised fully, then you would minimise the gangs who are making vast fortunes atm. Then you continue to find ways to close the net in on them. Everyone who lives on a street with a house where prostitution occurs, knows that the house is a whorehouse. Ergo society has a big role to play in this. Partly legalising and making just the soliciting illegal, doesn’t work and doesn’t help the girls to be protected.

I don’t mind if it is more accessible nor acceptable, though I definitely don’t agree with the prostitutes sitting in shop windows like in Holland [I don’t know if it is still like that]. Such things will be addressed according to how different cultures go about it.

Generally with the we are all prostitutes thing, well that has been getting worse since thatcher and Reagan decided to make the world into a horrible place. Before that in 1926 there was general strikes to get workers power, then only a few years later the banks made the great depression happen, and then workers were taking any job just to get fed. This is how terrible the capitalists are, evil even. Now, how are we to tackle something so vast, when banks are richer than nations and are not democratically voted into all that power?

People are easily brainwashed and the politics of fear can even make them vote conservative, even when their forefathers would have gone mad over such an idea. My sons think they are businessmen but aren’t, my daughter was in a band and every member wanted themselves to be the big I am. You see how the man can change culture and peoples minds!

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream