Do you think stepping on bugs is right or wrong- why?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Georgeanna

Re: Do you think stepping on bugs is right or wrong- why?

Post by Georgeanna »

Belindi wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 9:48 am Steve wrote:
Belindi wrote:
I used the word 'grinning' because the media control public ideas and this woman looks nice and pretty which makes the image of the hunter more palatable.
Maybe. I suppose some people might conversely find the juxtaposition of a pretty looking woman with a recently killed stag a disturbing contrast. A bit like those pictures from Iraq of the female soldier giving a cheery thumbs-up to the camera next to a bunch of tortured and humiliated Iraqi prisoners.

But, of course, this is all about our perception of a picture. Not, in itself, about the present or future treatment of non-human animals.
The picture affected me and, I gather Georgeanna and Greta too, as you say like that photo of the female soldier posing beside humiliated prisoners.
It would be interesting if other people who post to these discussions told which way the picture affected them. The media have a lot of power over thought.
Yes, for me - at the time it was all about the photograph. The initial gut reaction, as already stated, before any mental contortions. The picture of powerful domination over an innocent animal killed for fun and sport. Stalked and shot - perhaps better than being chased by hounds for hours until point of exhaustion...and then some.

I think it wrong for a dead animal to be posed in this way, as if still alive and beside its killer - and as a tourist attraction.
Some no doubt have an opposite reaction - 'Wow, what a great ad, sexy and hot, where's the email address...scot hunt vacations...'
All we need now is for Trump and family to turn up after a few rounds of golf and a survey of their latest housing estate plans...

How brave they are...these killers...with more on the way...unless the outcry results in legislation being passed. Not holding my breath - the fox and hounds pack persist. Cowards all.

Lovely talking to you all, but that's it for now - thanks.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Belindi wrote:There is a general misconception that frugality is all or nothing but that's not the case. Sustainability and animal welfare are improved by small increments in human good behaviour.
I think the point you make here that it's not all-or-nothing is an important one. As I've said, I am not wholly vegetarian but I eat very little meat. The less I eat the better.

From what I've read I've gathered that there is, essentially, no excuse for any of us to eat any meat other than the simple fact that we enjoy the taste. It's not healthy. It's not essential for life. The inefficiencies of raising animals as food for billions of humans, including for example the amount of land that has to be given over to growing their food, mean that the eating of meat and dairy products is, very very rapidly, destroying the habitats of all non-human vertebrates that are not farmed by humans. If we think it's worthwhile destroying the most extraordinary phenomenon in the known universe so that we can enjoy the taste of a burger then fair enough. As long as we have the courage to admit that.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Recipe for dal:

Dal is cooked red lentils. Fry a chopped onion in olive oil until it's transparent. Inspect red lentils for black or brown bits which may be grit(I never found any). Add some chopped carrot, vegetable OXO cube(S), herbs or a little garam masala all to individual taste. Ground black pepper to taste. Enough water or tomato juice to boil then simmer on the hob. I like to simmer it for an hour. Blitz with electric thing or use a potato masher to blend it.

Recipes always look more complicated than the cookery actually is. If your dal is too watery it's soup, If it's like paste it's stew.

You may like to eat it with rice, or on a toasted croissant, or fries, some green veg any sort, and so on.

Lentils are protein and the accompanying veg is very good for you. Lentils are a very cheap to buy and cook.

If still eating dairy try a spoonful of plain yoghurt with the dal.
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Belindi wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 8:03 am Recipe for dal:

Dal is cooked red lentils. Fry a chopped onion in olive oil until it's transparent. Inspect red lentils for black or brown bits which may be grit(I never found any). Add some chopped carrot, vegetable OXO cube(S), herbs or a little garam masala all to individual taste. Ground black pepper to taste. Enough water or tomato juice to boil then simmer on the hob. I like to simmer it for an hour. Blitz with electric thing or use a potato masher to blend it.
Recipes always look more complicated than the cookery actually is. If your dal is too watery it's soup, If it's like paste it's stew.

You may like to eat it with rice, or on a toasted croissant, or fries, some green veg any sort, and so on.

Lentils are protein and the accompanying veg is very good for you. Lentils are a very cheap to buy and cook.

If still eating dairy try a spoonful of plain yoghurt with the dal.
:D

You read my mind !
I want all your easy recipes...for healthy living.

Recently, I bought a big bag of 'dirty carrots' from a local farm shop. I'm not a great or patient cook.
So, I like to make soup. Lentil soup with carrots in.Yum.
And then I invented a sauce with some tinned tomatoes, onions and carrot. Lovely with spaghetti and then the next day cold with cheese.
Trouble is I still used chicken stock cube :?

I like your cooking philosophy: ease of making a dish by altering the quantity of water - either intentionally or, in my case, by error.
Now that has cheered me up.
I think you should have your very own food for thought forum :wink:
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

To Belinda
Further to our recipe talk, I have started a thread in the Lounge. Hope to see you there ?
All recipes welcome !

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15923
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

At the small company in which I work we all had a little trip out a few months ago and went on a day-long Indian cookery course. The simple and easy-to-make vegetable samosas that we made were fantastic. Made me never want to buy them from the supermarket again. I must find the recipe and post it on Georgeanna's new thread. Basically though: Mix some chopped carrots, onions, peas etc with some spices, wrap them in filo pastry and deep fry in vegetable oil.

Also, linking back to the original point of this topic: I think if you eat the bugs after stepping on them, that might excuse it a bit. For people who insist on a bit of animal protein, eating bugs may have a future.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

I made chips (fries in American English)today which were so evil that they should be a mere garnish for wholesome protein such as seeds or chick peas and some colourful vegetables.

Evil chips:

Packet of frozen chips . Take roasting pan and make large pool of olive oil in the bottom of it. Add a smaller pool of runny honey. Add a little garam masala . Add ground black pepper to taste. Crumble an Oxo cube on it all. Mix thoroughly with wooden spoon . Put the frozen chips on top and coat thoroughly with the sweet oily mixture. Bake until the chips are cooked and the honey mixture is a caramelised coating on each chip.

Sorry this was meant for Georgeanna's kitchen off the Lounge.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Thrylix wrote: January 11th, 2014, 2:49 am I'm 23 years old, had to go to a picnic today. I got up to throw something in the garbage and at the garbage can noticed a horde of ants bustling around a little ant mound. I was bored so I lifted my foot over them and stamped it down. After flattening them and their little home under my shoe, I walked back to the blanket.

When I sat back down, I leaned over to check out all the crushed ants stuck to my foot. My friend and I sort of snickered because the ants I carried through the grass on the bottom of my feet were only half-crushed and squirming in the treads of my running shoe. Then out of nowhere some guy who I didn't know saw me and called me a "white bully" and "inhumane" because I step on ants. I told him to bend down and kiss my stinking feet. I know, not nice, heh.

Now when you've stepping on bugs your whole life like I have, an anthill is no big deal. Meanwhile,I know jains respect all life and believe that my actions are wrong. But how is that explained? I thought they believed in reincarnation but how does that work? Do they believe that bugs are reincarnated from people?

If I'm stepping on someone's aunt joan, is that really such a bad thing? I guess my thoughts would be eh, better luck next time. There was probably a reason why her new home is a patch of mud on the bottom of my size 12 running shoe.

Do you think stepping on bugs is wrong - why or why not?
For me it all depends on the insect/arachnid/etc.

I kill on sight any mosquito, tic, or flea because these spread disease and death to humans. Indeed the mosquito is the leading killer of humans from among all animals/insects.

I practice catch and release for all flies and spiders because these are useful insects/arachnids.

I only kill ants if they are swarming near my home. Otherwise I leave them alone to do their appointed clean-up work of the Earth.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

h-k-s, if you kill for no good reason you wrong yourself.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Belindi wrote: November 26th, 2018, 8:04 am h-k-s, if you kill for no good reason you wrong yourself.
I don't agree with God for creating mosquitoes. So I kill them every chance I get. Most if not all people on this planet of ours do the exact same thing. So short of a populorum fallacy I would say people are unanimously in favor of killing mosquitoes -- which are bugs by definition and common usage.

Same argument for fleas on my cat or dog or in my hair when my cat/dog sleeps next to me.

Same argument for ticks.

Those are my good reasons.

All other bugs besides swarming ants or nesting wasps gain human rights from me.
Thrylix

Post by Thrylix »

Belindi wrote: November 26th, 2018, 8:04 am h-k-s, if you kill for no good reason you wrong yourself.
Is doing it because you find it curiously funny a good reason? That's why I step on ants. The panic and chaos after lifting my foot off them is cool to watch. :P
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Thrylix, are you at all curious about your own motivations? I suppose that you are what is called ' a troll'. I imagine that a troll is someone who posts in order to tease.
Thrylix

Post by Thrylix »

Always curious and self-reflective, but was not trying to troll. I definitely apologize if that post seemed to like teasing.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Thrylix, if you look at H_k_s 's post (about fourth before this post) you may read several good reasons for killing small animals and at least one good reason for not killing small animals.

If you extrapolate from your "cool" that you get from killing ants where would you draw the line regarding killing for fun, and why?
Thrylix

Post by Thrylix »

Animals that are significant enough that I don't think it's okay to toy with them for callous curiosity.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream