Is volunteering for the military potentially unethical?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
LuckyR

Re: Is volunteering for the military potentially unethical?

Post by LuckyR »

Wilson wrote:
LuckyR wrote: An opinion, unencumbered by data. But let's stipulate your opinion as fact just to make it interesting. Does a stockbroker going for a job interview "think much about the morality of" insider trading they may be asked to do at their new firm? Maybe yes, maybe no, same as your comment. Regardless, should there be a stock market at all? I believe most would agree that #1 there should be a stock market and #2 it would be the most naive potential stockbroker who hasn't heard of insider trading, just as it would be the unusual potential soldier who hasn't heard of Vietnam or Iraq.
Right, but my sense is that most people who go into the military like the idea of regimentation and being part of something bigger than themselves, part of a big, tough, powerful, important organization. Plus a lot of them may not have very good job prospects outside, and the idea of a career there appeals to them. There's something glamorous about the uniform and tradition. And I suspect that most volunteers aren't convinced that those wars were a terrible idea.
Exactly my point, good on you! By having a volunteer force, those who have moral/ethical problems along the lines of the OP, will not volunteer, thus it is a self correcting system, in that only those who agree with the idea of either 1) the responsibility lieing at a higher level along the chain of command or 2) they are not personally very troubled about moral/ethical wrongdoing much at all. In either case: little to no moral dilemma.

-- Updated September 6th, 2015, 10:51 am to add the following --
Mark1955 wrote:
LuckyR wrote: As I posted earlier an all volunteer armed force makes the most sense. If the citizenry feel that their government is acting ethically the citizens will volunteer and the army will be replete. If the government cannot "sell" the idea of a war to the citizens, then they army will be short soldiers and be less effective. It is really a perfect design. Those who are uncomfortable with the "ethics" don't volunteer, problem solved.
Is one possibility that the government will 'sell' joining up to those in society most inclined towards militarism and the use of violence to solve problems thus potentially creating a military, which far from being representative of the majority of the population, is not just willing but eager to carry out what the majority regard as unethical activities.
Again, thanks for making my point for me, same answer as above.
"As usual... it depends."
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

LuckyR wrote:
Mark1955 wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Is one possibility that the government will 'sell' joining up to those in society most inclined towards militarism and the use of violence to solve problems thus potentially creating a military, which far from being representative of the majority of the population, is not just willing but eager to carry out what the majority regard as unethical activities.
So you're happy to live in a state that has unethical armed forces as long as you can say 'It wasn't me' after the holocaust?
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Mark1955 wrote:
LuckyR wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

So you're happy to live in a state that has unethical armed forces as long as you can say 'It wasn't me' after the holocaust?
Dude, you need to make a decision, either the responsibility lies with the politicians making the decision or the military in carrying it out (personally I say the former), you can't play both sides of the issue, that's disingenuous. If you agree with me, then by your own definition, the armed forces (meaning the soldiers volunteering, not the Joint Chiefs) are NOT unethical, the politicians are.
Mark1955

Post by Mark1955 »

LuckyR wrote:
Mark1955 wrote:So you're happy to live in a state that has unethical armed forces as long as you can say 'It wasn't me' after the holocaust?
Dude, you need to make a decision, either the responsibility lies with the politicians making the decision or the military in carrying it out (personally I say the former), you can't play both sides of the issue, that's disingenuous. If you agree with me, then by your own definition, the armed forces (meaning the soldiers volunteering, not the Joint Chiefs) are NOT unethical, the politicians are.
Well you're off to Nuremberg then, the law is quite clear, both the politicians and the military at all levels are responsible. It's not for me to agree or disagree with this as with any other law, I just need to know the rules and keep my nose clean.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Mark1955 wrote:
LuckyR wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Well you're off to Nuremberg then, the law is quite clear, both the politicians and the military at all levels are responsible. It's not for me to agree or disagree with this as with any other law, I just need to know the rules and keep my nose clean.
Your commentary would make sense if there was ever a single episode of an enlisted man being prosecuted for invading a country for example. This is the province of politicians and the leadership of the military. Enlisted soldiers are only prosecuted for atrocities and the like, which I agree is completely correct.

If a law has never been used in a court, it really isn't much of a law.
Supine

Post by Supine »

Elder wrote: The assumption though is that, once you are in the army, you have to follow orders, regardless weather you agree with the ethical nature of the orders or not.

In a sense you suspended your own personal morality and placed it into the hands of people all over on the chain of command: from your immediate superior in the army to the president and the congress itself.
I can't speak for every military in the world but in the US military you are forbidden from following immoral orders. And if you do so you may be brought up on charges and possibly sentenced to military/federal prison.

My question to those who volunteered to the army is the following:

How can you live with this exposure of having to perform potentially evil and unethical duties, just because you suspended your right to protest?
I think that dilemma arises if a person actually believe x, y, z are evil or unethical and that orders for carrying out x, y, z are likely to occur.
Did you ever have an instant when you regretted joining the army that forced you to do things you would have never done by your own volition (like firing white phosphorus shells at civilians - including children - in Fellujah)?

From Wikipedia: Quote:On November 15, 2005, Dept. of Defense spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Barry Venable confirmed to the BBC that white phosphorus had been used as an incendiary antipersonnel weapon in Fallujah
I regretted joining the US Marines for other reasons. But not for any of that.

I've regretted being part of the greater military deployment that slaughtered so many Iraqi lives during the First Gulf War. But that particular regret only occurred after I left the military and upon some reflection.

I think the USA joined in an international agreement to ban the use of white phosphorus in combat/war. So, any use of it is at minimum illegal or a violation to whatever promise the USA made to not using them. Is use of white phosphorus inherently unethical though? I don't know. I'm kind of tilting on the side that it is.

In general I have a big problem with the killing of children period.

Now, even if the US military had notified residence to flee the city before they attacked, I still have a problem with children that remained behind--even if they operated as combatants--being killed, let alone through the nightmarish use of white phosphorus bombs.
Mark1955

Post by Mark1955 »

Supine wrote: Is use of white phosphorus inherently unethical though? I don't know. I'm kind of tilting on the side that it is.
Very topical issue at present that 25 years ago was a non subject. I was issued two types of WP ammunition, smoke grenades and a WP filled armour piercing round designed to be used against enemy vehicles, get inside with the AP then the exploding WP either burns the crew or sets the vehicle alight. Since being in an armoured vehicle in war is a significant burn risk for many reasons and smoke grenades aren't fired at people just in the air I have no morale objection to either. Today however it appears some people are using the WP 'smoke' round as an offensive incendiary weapon against target areas that may included non combatants. With that I have an issue, although largely this issue is with using any area weapon in the presence of non combatants. So as is often the case to me it's not the weapon it's the context of it's use.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream