Prejudice Not Curable

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Boots

Re: Prejudice Not Curable

Post by Boots »

Jaa_intelligent wrote:Prejudice. There is no way out of it. We are at some level prejudice against a person for some reason or other. People that say they are not; are trying to deceive themselves and others. I think people who say that aren't haven't put any real thought to their boast. I would love your feedback and your input. Lets accept this truth, and then maybe man will grow toward an enlightenment.
Agreed. It is an evolved trait that has it's roots in in-group/out-group thinking.

However, I think that people who express their lack of prejudice, and I am one of them, are really just saying that they try really hard to recognize any predjudice that may arise within them and do what they can to quell it.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Boots wrote:
Jaa_intelligent wrote:Prejudice. There is no way out of it. We are at some level prejudice against a person for some reason or other. People that say they are not; are trying to deceive themselves and others. I think people who say that aren't haven't put any real thought to their boast. I would love your feedback and your input. Lets accept this truth, and then maybe man will grow toward an enlightenment.
Agreed. It is an evolved trait that has it's roots in in-group/out-group thinking.

However, I think that people who express their lack of prejudice, and I am one of them, are really just saying that they try really hard to recognize any predjudice that may arise within them and do what they can to quell it.
Yet prejudice doesn't always need to be quelled. To my mind there is appropriate and inappropriate prejudice. If I am interviewing for a single job position, then using the result of the last 5 times I interviewed a Hispanic person as viable information for the 6th Hispanic person I interview is an example of inappropriate prejudice, there is no downside to giving this 6th interviewee a blank slate to treat them neutrally and the interviewee is liable to lose a money earning prospect if the first 5 were below par candidates.

OTOH, if my daughter decides to get off of an elevator she is riding alone in, when (to her eyes) an unsavory appearing individual steps on it, is an example of appropriate prejudice. She may have to wait for a second elevator and thus arrive at her floor 1-2 minutes later or she may avoid a physical assault, or at minimum, she can ride the elevator without a sense of fear, even if nothing happens. The other rider is out nothing, except an eyeroll that their appearance, (which they can control to a large extent) made them a "victim" of prejudice or in their wording age-ism or racism or class-ism.
"As usual... it depends."
Boots

Post by Boots »

LuckyR wrote:
Boots wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Yet prejudice doesn't always need to be quelled. To my mind there is appropriate and inappropriate prejudice. If I am interviewing for a single job position, then using the result of the last 5 times I interviewed a Hispanic person as viable information for the 6th Hispanic person I interview is an example of inappropriate prejudice, there is no downside to giving this 6th interviewee a blank slate to treat them neutrally and the interviewee is liable to lose a money earning prospect if the first 5 were below par candidates.

OTOH, if my daughter decides to get off of an elevator she is riding alone in, when (to her eyes) an unsavory appearing individual steps on it, is an example of appropriate prejudice. She may have to wait for a second elevator and thus arrive at her floor 1-2 minutes later or she may avoid a physical assault, or at minimum, she can ride the elevator without a sense of fear, even if nothing happens. The other rider is out nothing, except an eyeroll that their appearance, (which they can control to a large extent) made them a "victim" of prejudice or in their wording age-ism or racism or class-ism.
Agreed. I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'prejudice'. I think of what you are describing as discriminating vs discrimination. Or judging vs. judgmental.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Boots wrote:
LuckyR wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Agreed. I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'prejudice'. I think of what you are describing as discriminating vs discrimination. Or judging vs. judgmental.
Uummm... I don't think so. Don't get me wrong there are examples of that sort of difference, but I specifically chose my examples to both be legitimate prejudice or discrimination, the difference between the two lies elsewhere, namely in the fallout from the prejudice, not whether they are examples of prejudice. The elevator rider in the second example, can rightly claim that he was discriminated against based on his appearance, or race/color or socioeconomic status, and he is correct. I still support my daughter, though.
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

Post by Wilson »

Here are the first three definitions of "prejudice" from Dictionary.com:
1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
3. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding an ethnic, racial, social, or religious group.

The word has such negative connotations nowadays that most people take it to mean the third - but it can also mean simply making assumptions based on the evidence before us - which we do all the time during the day. The real question is this: Is it ever acceptable to make assumptions about someone based on gender, race, appearance, national origin, and so on? The answer is ... sometimes. If there's a burglary, should we assume it was committed by a male, since that's usually the case? If you're interviewing candidates for a sales job, should you eliminate those who are poorly dressed? If you're worried about terrorism, should you concentrate more on those with Arabic names?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Wilson wrote:Here are the first three definitions of "prejudice" from Dictionary.com:
1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
3. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, especially of a hostile nature, regarding an ethnic, racial, social, or religious group.

The word has such negative connotations nowadays that most people take it to mean the third - but it can also mean simply making assumptions based on the evidence before us - which we do all the time during the day. The real question is this: Is it ever acceptable to make assumptions about someone based on gender, race, appearance, national origin, and so on? The answer is ... sometimes. If there's a burglary, should we assume it was committed by a male, since that's usually the case? If you're interviewing candidates for a sales job, should you eliminate those who are poorly dressed? If you're worried about terrorism, should you concentrate more on those with Arabic names?
Well concentrating on certain ethnic groups when dealing with terrorism doesn't meet your first or third definitions since it is a calculation not a knee-jerk reaction. The second one is so vague as to encompass so many sentiments as to border on the useless.
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

You might suggest that the selfish gene makes one less inclined to co-operate with others the less related to you they are and that this expands beyond the literal family to the ever less close societies one is part of. In the words of Sid Kipper “the world will live as one – the day the aliens arrive.”
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Wilson
Favorite Philosopher: Eric Hoffer

Post by Wilson »

LuckyR wrote: Well concentrating on certain ethnic groups when dealing with terrorism doesn't meet your first or third definitions since it is a calculation not a knee-jerk reaction. The second one is so vague as to encompass so many sentiments as to border on the useless.
Those aren't my definitions, they're from Dictionary.com. Concentrating on certain ethnic groups when dealing with terrorism would be considered prejudice by many people. That's racial profiling. My opinion is that it would be justified at the airport, although it isn't done there currently. I think it's okay to draw generalizations about certain ethnic, racial, or gender groups, as long as they are based on real evidence - but only if one looks at individuals he encounters as individuals who may well not be typical of his or her group.

-- Updated June 4th, 2016, 1:33 pm to add the following --
Mark1955 wrote:You might suggest that the selfish gene makes one less inclined to co-operate with others the less related to you they are and that this expands beyond the literal family to the ever less close societies one is part of. In the words of Sid Kipper “the world will live as one – the day the aliens arrive.”
Ideally we allow other cultures to fit under our empathy umbrellas - that as we observe people in other lands, we recognize that they are not so different from us - that in fact they are more "us" than "them". Certainly that's happened to a great degree in the developed countries. We have sympathy for a starving child in Africa or India, whereas back in the days of the great explorers, the "savages" were considered almost like another species, nothing like us, not worthy of our concern. So we're part way there. But when you see the brutality and lack of respect for others in much of the Islamic world and even in certain segments of the developed world, it's obvious that it will be a long time before we get there.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Wilson wrote:
LuckyR wrote: Well concentrating on certain ethnic groups when dealing with terrorism doesn't meet your first or third definitions since it is a calculation not a knee-jerk reaction. The second one is so vague as to encompass so many sentiments as to border on the useless.
Those aren't my definitions, they're from Dictionary.com. Concentrating on certain ethnic groups when dealing with terrorism would be considered prejudice by many people. That's racial profiling. My opinion is that it would be justified at the airport, although it isn't done there currently. I think it's okay to draw generalizations about certain ethnic, racial, or gender groups, as long as they are based on real evidence - but only if one looks at individuals he encounters as individuals who may well not be typical of his or her group.
You bring up a very important distinction, the difference between using group information on groups and using group information on individuals.

If I say that gypsies make the best pickpockets, so I am going to concentrate on gypsy looking people in the crowded subway station that is clearly racial profiling, yet is perfectly logical and in fact preferable. OTOH, once I find a gypsy looking person wandering around the station I should treat them identically to any other suspect and let the evidence lead where it may. That is the definition of evenhandedness.

Using my original examples of the job interview and the elevator creep, both are prejudice since both use group experience on an individual. One is acceptable (even preferable) while the other is unacceptable. As stated that difference is based on the relative outcomes, a separate issue.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream