Insight into construction of a concept of being happy

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Grunth

Re: Insight into construction of a concept of being happy

Post by Grunth »

Boots wrote:
Grunth wrote:I consider that you have more or less made the same point as me when you wrote this:

Boots "It is assumed and indeed pushed on those of us in western societies that happiness should be pursued. I think that some people do like to pursue happiness, but many others are more interested in other pursuits, like knowledge, understanding, creativity."

Consequently I would say that I am in your latter category and with having known myself priory as in your former category (once realizing that emotion is not 'it').
I'm not sure I follow.

I think happiness is an emotion or an emotional state that people pursue. I don't equate it with the pursuit of understanding. In other words, I don't think that people who pursue understanding are necessarily pursuing happiness nor do they necessarily attain happiness when they come to understand that which they are pursuing.
It is not the pursuit of an emotion which is relevant. It is to understand emotion therefore to understand the human condition thereby understanding one's own condition. 'Understanding' is not an 'emotion'. Why pursue what you have already stated as fleeting? Why care about what others pursue? Why not just lay out what 'happy' is to you and FOR you, rather than what it must mean to most and therefore must make it also so for you?

I've laid out what it means for me while you seem to be analyzing what it must mean for everyone. Are you for you or are you for everyone? I find this so often that the usual analysis of the human condition is never one which brings it home. It is so often left dangling in some dank chamber and assumed to be 'objective'. Apparent objectivity is merely an excuse for mediocrity. It seems most of humanity are distracted by conventions that are assumed as reality.
Boots

Post by Boots »

Grunth wrote:
Boots wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

I'm not sure I follow.

I think happiness is an emotion or an emotional state that people pursue. I don't equate it with the pursuit of understanding. In other words, I don't think that people who pursue understanding are necessarily pursuing happiness nor do they necessarily attain happiness when they come to understand that which they are pursuing.
It is not the pursuit of an emotion which is relevant. It is to understand emotion therefore to understand the human condition thereby understanding one's own condition. 'Understanding' is not an 'emotion'. Why pursue what you have already stated as fleeting? Why care about what others pursue? Why not just lay out what 'happy' is to you and FOR you, rather than what it must mean to most and therefore must make it also so for you?

I've laid out what it means for me while you seem to be analyzing what it must mean for everyone. Are you for you or are you for everyone? I find this so often that the usual analysis of the human condition is never one which brings it home. It is so often left dangling in some dank chamber and assumed to be 'objective'. Apparent objectivity is merely an excuse for mediocrity. It seems most of humanity are distracted by conventions that are assumed as reality.
The pursuit of an emotion is relevant to some, since a number of humans pursue happiness. It's pursuit is considered a right in America. You say on the one hand that what is relevant is understanding "emotion therefore to understand the human condition thereby understanding one's own condition," and on the other hand, "Why care about what others pursue? Why not just lay out what 'happy' is to you and FOR you, rather than what it must mean to most." These statements are at odds. As you said, we try to understand others in order to understand ourselves.

Dangling in a dank chamber? Objectivity an excuse for mediocrity? Conventions assumed as reality?

I'm not following your logic.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Boots wrote:
Grunth wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

The pursuit of an emotion is relevant to some, since a number of humans pursue happiness. It's pursuit is considered a right in America. You say on the one hand that what is relevant is understanding "emotion therefore to understand the human condition thereby understanding one's own condition," and on the other hand, "Why care about what others pursue? Why not just lay out what 'happy' is to you and FOR you, rather than what it must mean to most." These statements are at odds. As you said, we try to understand others in order to understand ourselves.

Dangling in a dank chamber? Objectivity an excuse for mediocrity? Conventions assumed as reality?

-- Updated May 14th, 2016, 1:44 am to add the following --
Boots wrote:

Do I really have to spell it out?

It is not the pursuit of an emotion which is relevant......to being happy.

As for the other things you are confused about, try a dictionary. Look up words like 'objectivity', 'excuse', 'mediocrity', 'convention', 'assume', then just see how they can make a sentence. As for 'Dangling in a dank chamber'. It's a metaphor, therefore you visualize the metaphor to see what feeling one may get from the visual. For example, did the visual feel warm, nice and comfortable or something else more or less opposite to that?

How old are you?
Boots

Post by Boots »

Grunth wrote:

-- Updated May 14th, 2016, 1:44 am to add the following --

Do I really have to spell it out?

It is not the pursuit of an emotion which is relevant......to being happy.

As for the other things you are confused about, try a dictionary. Look up words like 'objectivity', 'excuse', 'mediocrity', 'convention', 'assume', then just see how they can make a sentence. As for 'Dangling in a dank chamber'. It's a metaphor, therefore you visualize the metaphor to see what feeling one may get from the visual. For example, did the visual feel warm, nice and comfortable or something else more or less opposite to that?

How old are you?
Oh. O.K. I'll get right on that. Thanks for being so clear and informative.

I'm not sure what my age has to do with it? Again, a confusing question. Are you suggesting that might be my problem in understanding you? I'm too old OR am I too young?
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

I don't need to know anymore.
Boots

Post by Boots »

Grunth wrote:I don't need to know anymore.
Why would you need to know in the first place?
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

If you were fourteen then I felt I should take that into consideration in order to be empathetic and consider the teen's age condition.
Boots

Post by Boots »

Grunth wrote:If you were fourteen then I felt I should take that into consideration in order to be empathetic and consider the teen's age condition.
Sounds fair.

Are you on any medication?
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Boots wrote:
Grunth wrote:If you were fourteen then I felt I should take that into consideration in order to be empathetic and consider the teen's age condition.
Sounds fair.

Always.
Boots

Post by Boots »

Grunth wrote:

Sounds fair.

Always.
Ahhh. That explains a lot.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Boots wrote:

Always.
Yeah, I take stuff daily for back pain. Man, you should try it. Its really far out.
Boots

Post by Boots »

Grunth wrote:

Yeah, I take stuff daily for back pain. Man, you should try it. Its really far out.
Well...I don't need to ask your age. Far out? I'd say you were either a teenager or in your 20's during the seventies.

Back pain is difficult, but I don't like to take too much medication since I'm worried what it will do to my kidneys and/or liver over time.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Boots wrote:

Well...I don't need to ask your age. Far out? I'd say you were either a teenager or in your 20's during the seventies.

Back pain is difficult, but I don't like to take too much medication since I'm worried what it will do to my kidneys and/or liver over time.
Well that is sometimes a problem if we assume pain is better than longevity. Even when we are 80 we will probably always want more days. A person sick at 80 will usually still seek a cure. The neurosis of death often persists regardless but life in the meantime is always better with less pain just as a happy short time is better than a miserable long time. Medication may shorten things by 5 years, but hey!
Boots

Post by Boots »

Grunth wrote:

Well that is sometimes a problem if we assume pain is better than longevity. Even when we are 80 we will probably always want more days. A person sick at 80 will usually still seek a cure. The neurosis of death often persists regardless but life in the meantime is always better with less pain just as a happy short time is better than a miserable long time. Medication may shorten things by 5 years, but hey!
True. I'm more worried about being an invalid when I'm old vs. how long I live. But, longer would be better if I was healthy and able.
Grunth

Post by Grunth »

Boots wrote:

True. I'm more worried about being an invalid when I'm old vs. how long I live. But, longer would be better if I was healthy and able.
'Invalid' is a relative state. When younger I used to play football, so quite a few years ago I had already become an invalid in relation to playing football. Currently I am an invalid in relation to all the building work I used to do. However, now I have merely got myself set up to be comfortable and in many ways enjoy not feeling the impulse to do the things I used to do. After all, playing sport was an impulse and building/designing a comfortable home over many years was an impulse (impulse to create). What I have found is that the impulse to create is still apparent without the heavy work because being creative with thinking is satisfying. Also being a spectator of other's creations (film, ideas) is enjoyable. I have not yet become an invalid to my entertained brain.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream