Should chimpanzees be recognized as legal persons

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
LuckyR

Re: Should chimpanzees be recognized as legal persons

Post by LuckyR »

Roel wrote:
LuckyR wrote:How about we grant full legal status to humans all circumstances before we start adding to the burden? You know, like the right of a black school child to carry a toy gun without getting shot by a cop.
If a cop sees a kid with a toy gun, he'll intervene as it cojld be a real gun, what does race have to do with this? This happens to white kids too.
Uummm... you have heard of open carry, right. You know, white men with real, working long guns over their shoulders walking through the Walmart greeting everyone they meet. Carrying a long gun while white gets you: "Good day, sir. Do you want paper or plastic?" Carrying a plastic toy (designed specifically for children BTW) long gun while a black child gets you killed in < 4 seconds after the police car skids to a stop.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Roel wrote:
Spiral Out wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Please define specifically what you mean by "intelligent" and outline the objective methods used to determine intelligence. Also, what are those granted with personhood status entitled to?

Or, if it is simply a personal judgement then how would you defend you subjective view?
There are enough intelligence experience done among other species, of which the most intelligent are chimpanzees, dolphins, crows, elephants and a few others. You can easily look it up.
Agreed Roel.

To some extent it depends on to what extent the species themselves cooperate or harm each other. However, preserving these animals is not only important in terms of conservation values, but we also simply don't understand how they communicate, and learning about different modes of communication can provide useful insights in our society's own handling of information, and also perhaps into the origins of human language. Consider how bird flight influenced aviation.

However, it is clear that other great apes like chimps will follow Australopithecus and Homo habilis in the line of great ape extinctions. It's a shame as all extinctions are a shame, as inevitable as the looming extinction of democracy.

I would definitely see a prison term as appropriate for proven killing of endangered and protected species, intelligent or not.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Roel wrote:If a cop sees a kid with a toy gun, he'll intervene as it cojld be a real gun, what does race have to do with this? This happens to white kids too.
No it doesn't. There are no white-kid equivalent incidents to the incident being referenced. It absolutely is about race.
Roel wrote:There are enough intelligence experience done among other species, of which the most intelligent are chimpanzees, dolphins, crows, elephants and a few others. You can easily look it up.
I don't fall for thought terminating cliches.

The concept of intelligence has yet to be scientifically defined or justified. There is no distinct boundary between intelligent and non-intelligent.

If there was, then you would be able to state that animal X is at the lowest limit of what can be considered intelligent whereas animal Y is at the highest limit of what can be considered non-intelligent, and then you would be able to scientifically justify such a boundary.

But you cannot, so my question remains.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.
Roel
Favorite Philosopher: Hegel

Post by Roel »

LuckyR wrote:
Roel wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

If a cop sees a kid with a toy gun, he'll intervene as it cojld be a real gun, what does race have to do with this? This happens to white kids too.
Uummm... you have heard of open carry, right. You know, white men with real, working long guns over their shoulders walking through the Walmart greeting everyone they meet. Carrying a long gun while white gets you: "Good day, sir. Do you want paper or plastic?" Carrying a plastic toy (designed specifically for children BTW) long gun while a black child gets you killed in < 4 seconds after the police car skids to a stop.
This is not the case in my country, white kids walking around with guns get arrested too here, there are no wallmarts or NRA here, don't know about black ones, the police here has trouble to get grip on neighourhoods with minorities and a lot of violence, therefore the police here is now getting blacks to work for them etc.

There are these problems indeed, this is partly due to racism, but also because there is a large portion (the cause is not race in my opinion, let me explain) of blacks in criminal statistics, more than half of murders were commited by blacks some decades ago. Possible reasons are segregration, no chances given to blacks which forces them into criminality, a lack of role models, though Obama is a good role model to show Afro-Americans can accomplish a lot. As a result of many blacks in criminality, no matter what the cause is, police will be more cautious with them which leads to racial profiling. If is a vicious circle, and if Trump will really do what his policies on his website say, the situation of blacks will become better and he will solve some of these problems.

I 'm saying this because you aren't going to solve problems of blacks if you deny this.

Of course it is ridiculous if a kid with a toy gun gets killed.

-- Updated November 12th, 2016, 10:44 am to add the following --
LuckyR wrote:
Roel wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

I can even say that it is because of the political left that so many blacks are in criminality. Due to employers having to be afraid of discrimination laws, they don't want to hire blacks from ghettos, because they will be accused of racism if they want to fire them for whatever reason like not doing the job properly.

-- Updated November 12th, 2016, 10:45 am to add the following --
Spiral Out wrote:
Roel wrote:If a cop sees a kid with a toy gun, he'll intervene as it cojld be a real gun, what does race have to do with this? This happens to white kids too.
No it doesn't. There are no white-kid equivalent incidents to the incident being referenced. It absolutely is about race.
That is a lie. There are enough examples in my country.
"Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong. They are conflicts between two rights." - Friedrich Hegel
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Roel wrote:There are enough examples in my country.
Cite one case of a white child being shot dead by your police because he was playing with a toy gun.

Back to the main point of the topic:

The concept of intelligence has yet to be scientifically defined or justified. There is no distinct boundary between intelligent and non-intelligent.

If there was, then you would be able to state that animal X is at the lowest limit of what can be considered intelligent whereas animal Y is at the highest limit of what can be considered non-intelligent, and then you would be able to scientifically justify such a boundary.

Roel

Post by Roel »

Spiral Out wrote:
Roel wrote:There are enough examples in my country.
Cite one case of a white child being shot dead by your police because he was playing with a toy gun.
Ok, not in my country but in the US:
http://www.thedailysheeple.com/another- ... ops_112013

I really get sick of lies spread by political correctness people which are manipulating people like you to believe them.

What I ment is that in my country it doesn't matter if you are black or white, Asian or purple, the police will intervene when a kid carries a gun.

Back to the main point of the topic:

Intelligence means being able to solve problems to survive basically.
"Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong. They are conflicts between two rights." - Friedrich Hegel
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Roel wrote:Intelligence means being able to solve problems to survive basically.
All animals do that. By your logic there are no unintelligent animals since that would necessarily preclude their survival.

Intelligence (and survival) is a matter of degrees. It's not a question of intelligent or not. We would have to recognize all animals as legal persons.
Roel

Post by Roel »

Spiral Out wrote:
Roel wrote:Intelligence means being able to solve problems to survive basically.
All animals do that. By your logic there are no unintelligent animals since that would necessarily preclude their survival.

Intelligence (and survival) is a matter of degrees. It's not a question of intelligent or not. We would have to recognize all animals as legal persons.
Yes, all animals do that, otherwise some of them would have an IQ of 0.

But some are better at it than others, and the best are humans, crows, chimpanzees etc.

A broader definition:
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to new situations, to be able to survive by solving newly emerged problems, sometimes with the help of created tools, and to be able to identify oneself as an individual. Much less species will be able to be applied to the definition now, but humans, chimpanzees and crows still.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

We definitely need a more humane (heh) approach to animal welfare.

I'd say rather than intelligence, it's a quality of life issue (tho the two overlap). It's the fact that many other conscious species have a quality of life (subjective experience) which means they have a stake in being treated well or badly, and we should treat them with moral consideration.

Conscious species vary in the ways they experience happiness and suffering, and what makes for a good quality of life. So we ought to strive to treat them in ways commensurate to how they experience that quality of life (as far as we can tell). Assigning a type of personhood for chimps might be an appropriate part of that broader approach, I dunno, sounds worth exploring. But I'd want to get past the notion that members of other species only have value in their own right in as much as they're like our species. And be wary of trying to clumsily fit them into our systems of valuing (eg personhood) without taking into account differences as well as similarities.

A bunch of neuro scientists and associated boffins came up with the Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness in 2012, as a general statement on where the science is at regarding animal consciousness. I think that's the sort of informed basis for these decisions which is becoming available to us now, which we can use to re-examine our treatment of other species.

http://fcmconference.org/img/CambridgeD ... usness.pdf
Roel

Post by Roel »

Gertie wrote:We definitely need a more humane (heh) approach to animal welfare.

I'd say rather than intelligence, it's a quality of life issue (tho the two overlap). It's the fact that many other conscious species have a quality of life (subjective experience) which means they have a stake in being treated well or badly, and we should treat them with moral consideration.

Conscious species vary in the ways they experience happiness and suffering, and what makes for a good quality of life. So we ought to strive to treat them in ways commensurate to how they experience that quality of life (as far as we can tell). Assigning a type of personhood for chimps might be an appropriate part of that broader approach, I dunno, sounds worth exploring. But I'd want to get past the notion that members of other species only have value in their own right in as much as they're like our species. And be wary of trying to clumsily fit them into our systems of valuing (eg personhood) without taking into account differences as well as similarities.

A bunch of neuro scientists and associated boffins came up with the Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness in 2012, as a general statement on where the science is at regarding animal consciousness. I think that's the sort of informed basis for these decisions which is becoming available to us now, which we can use to re-examine our treatment of other species.

http://fcmconference.org/img/CambridgeD ... usness.pdf
Excellent post. :) You offer a good other perspective on the issue.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Roel wrote:A broader definition:
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to new situations, to be able to survive by solving newly emerged problems, sometimes with the help of created tools, and to be able to identify oneself as an individual. Much less species will be able to be applied to the definition now, but humans, chimpanzees and crows still.
If intelligence is based on that definition and if it is intelligence that determines the consideration for legal personhood then you've just excluded human infants, the physically handicapped, those with Alzheimer's, etc. from being legal persons, yet have included ants in with being considered legal persons.

"Ants marked with a blue dot on their clypeus (this changed their species specific appearance), and set in front of a mirror, tried to clean themselves, to remove this alien spot from their head, but never tried to clean their reflection view."

journalofscience.net/File_Folder/521-53 ... 2(jos).pdf
Roel

Post by Roel »

Spiral Out wrote:
Roel wrote:A broader definition:
If intelligence is based on that definition and if it is intelligence that determines the consideration for legal personhood then you've just excluded human infants, the physically handicapped, those with Alzheimer's, etc. from being legal persons, yet have included ants in with being considered legal persons.

"Ants marked with a blue dot on their clypeus (this changed their species specific appearance), and set in front of a mirror, tried to clean themselves, to remove this alien spot from their head, but never tried to clean their reflection view."

journalofscience.net/File_Folder/521-53 ... 2(jos).pdf
I didn't say that we exclude all without intelligence. Maybe we should start with giving human rights to the closest to humanoids and big creatures only.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Roel wrote:I didn't say that we exclude all without intelligence. Maybe we should start with giving human rights to the closest to humanoids and big creatures only.
Fair enough. However, with equal rights necessarily come equal responsibilities. Are we to hold all 'legal persons' to the same standards of behavior and justice?
Roel

Post by Roel »

Spiral Out wrote:
Roel wrote:I didn't say that we exclude all without intelligence. Maybe we should start with giving human rights to the closest to humanoids and big creatures only.
Fair enough. However, with equal rights necessarily come equal responsibilities. Are we to hold all 'legal persons' to the same standards of behavior and justice?
Not necessarily, children don't bear responsibility but do have equal rights.
Spiral Out

Post by Spiral Out »

Roel wrote:Not necessarily, children don't bear responsibility but do have equal rights.
Children don't have the same rights as adults. We can assume to treat infant chimps as we would infant Humans. Can we also assume to treat adult chimps as adult Humans? What good is the concept of being a 'legal person' if we don't consider all aspects of Human personhood?

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream