The Abuse of Sex

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Post Reply
Ace01
New Trial Member
Posts: 2
Joined: January 10th, 2018, 6:51 pm

The Abuse of Sex

Post by Ace01 » January 11th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Now I don't know anyone else who shares my views on this, but recently I haven't been fond of the reason why so many are people having sex and what they're mostly using it for; i'm talking about the reason for why most people have sex is simply because they like it how it feels, which is not entirely wrong per SE, but the people who have sex just only for pleasure and deliberately avoid try not having kids is what I don't like. Sex didn't come into existence to make us feel good, sex evolved to be just one of the alternative ways of how a species reproduce offspring. So when people have sex for solely for the pleasure aspect, they are in fact abusing the act of it, which I don't find morally right.

I'm a agnostic atheist by the way, so none of views comes from a religious background, i'm also an aromantic asexual, which basically means I have no interest in sex or relationships, now you could try to argue that my views comes from being asexual, but once again I'm not against people having sex it just when people do it for sake of pleasure.

User avatar
Albert Tatlock
Posts: 183
Joined: October 15th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by Albert Tatlock » January 11th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Ace01 wrote:
January 11th, 2018, 1:14 pm
the reason for why most people have sex is simply because they like it how it feels, which is not entirely wrong per SE, but the people who have sex just only for pleasure and deliberately avoid try not having kids is what I don't like.
Yes, it's disgraceful, everyone who has sex solely for pleasure should be made to adopt a child afterwards, as punishment. Likewise with people who have a dessert after a meal. They don't do it because they need the nutrition, they do it for pleasure. I don't know what the punishment for those depraved bastards should be, maybe a high pressure hose up their rear end to blow it back out.

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 3096
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by LuckyR » January 12th, 2018, 3:08 am

Ace01 wrote:
January 11th, 2018, 1:14 pm
Now I don't know anyone else who shares my views on this, but recently I haven't been fond of the reason why so many are people having sex and what they're mostly using it for; i'm talking about the reason for why most people have sex is simply because they like it how it feels, which is not entirely wrong per SE, but the people who have sex just only for pleasure and deliberately avoid try not having kids is what I don't like. Sex didn't come into existence to make us feel good, sex evolved to be just one of the alternative ways of how a species reproduce offspring. So when people have sex for solely for the pleasure aspect, they are in fact abusing the act of it, which I don't find morally right.

I'm a agnostic atheist by the way, so none of views comes from a religious background, i'm also an aromantic asexual, which basically means I have no interest in sex or relationships, now you could try to argue that my views comes from being asexual, but once again I'm not against people having sex it just when people do it for sake of pleasure.
I agree with Albert.

What is your favorite food?
"As usual... it depends."

User avatar
Spiral Out
Site Admin
Posts: 5007
Joined: June 26th, 2012, 10:22 am

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by Spiral Out » January 12th, 2018, 7:16 am

Ace01 wrote:
January 11th, 2018, 1:14 pm
Now I don't know anyone else who shares my views on this, but recently I haven't been fond of the reason why so many are people having sex and what they're mostly using it for; i'm talking about the reason for why most people have sex is simply because they like it how it feels, which is not entirely wrong per SE, but the people who have sex just only for pleasure and deliberately avoid try not having kids is what I don't like. Sex didn't come into existence to make us feel good, sex evolved to be just one of the alternative ways of how a species reproduce offspring. So when people have sex for solely for the pleasure aspect, they are in fact abusing the act of it, which I don't find morally right.

I'm a agnostic atheist by the way, so none of views comes from a religious background, i'm also an aromantic asexual, which basically means I have no interest in sex or relationships, now you could try to argue that my views comes from being asexual, but once again I'm not against people having sex it just when people do it for sake of pleasure.
Ace01,

If sex didn't come into existence to make us feel good then why does it feel so good? Evolution doesn't usually happen by mistake except for random mutations but those mutations end up being selected out if they are not somehow beneficial to the species.

The risk/reward balance of sex is only slightly won out on the reward side. There are a multitude of risks involved with sex. What are the rewards of sex other than pleasure? Do you feel that procreation is itself a reward? If we took away the pleasure aspect of sex then there would only be risk. I'd imagine that very few would be having sex for any reason at that point. The species would perish.

I think the fact that you have no interest in sex or relationships has caused you to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the subject you speak of. You seem to be ok with sex for the purposes of procreation but not solely for pleasure but then claim to be non-religious. Your view is a basic religious view.

What exactly is it about sex for pleasure that you find immoral? How is sex for pleasure supposedly "abusing" it?

Thanks for your time.
Dedicated to the fine art of thinking.

Maxcady10001
Posts: 445
Joined: September 12th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by Maxcady10001 » January 12th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Do you eat cookies? What about pizza or cake or pie or anything overly sweet and fattening? Because if you do I consider that immoral. You are abusing the action of eating by eating for pleasure. I consider it immoral to enjoy food, one must only consume what is necessary.

Do you see how ridiculous that line of thinking is? Why should an individual not enjoy what comes most naturally? Eating and sex are biological functions and both can feel amazing. I don't understand why people develop these ideas that what is most natural is somehow immoral.

Also, you are claiming the act of sex is abused when engaged for purposes other than procreation. However, when people engage in sex for recreation, they are intentionally doing so, and by the definition of abuse not abusing the act or doing so in a misguided way or to a bad effect, they intend on experiencing pleasure, so they experience pleasure, the act is not abusive.

User avatar
SimpleGuy
Posts: 338
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by SimpleGuy » January 12th, 2018, 1:09 pm

As long as they do it for themselves, it's quite a lefthanded truth, that this is sober , because your wife doesn't interfere with it.

Ace01
New Trial Member
Posts: 2
Joined: January 10th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by Ace01 » January 12th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Maxcady10001 wrote:
January 12th, 2018, 12:32 pm
Do you eat cookies? What about pizza or cake or pie or anything overly sweet and fattening? Because if you do I consider that immoral. You are abusing the action of eating by eating for pleasure. I consider it immoral to enjoy food, one must only consume what is necessary.

Do you see how ridiculous that line of thinking is? Why should an individual not enjoy what comes most naturally? Eating and sex are biological functions and both can feel amazing. I don't understand why people develop these ideas that what is most natural is somehow immoral.

Also, you are claiming the act of sex is abused when engaged for purposes other than procreation. However, when people engage in sex for recreation, they are intentionally doing so, and by the definition of abuse not abusing the act or doing so in a misguided way or to a bad effect, they intend on experiencing pleasure, so they experience pleasure, the act is not abusive.
To let you know that I do eat food when it's only necessary, I don't consume anything else when I'm not hungry. Also I like point out that you kind of misunderstood me, I never said an individual couldn't enjoy the act of sex, it's when a person intentionally has sex for only pleasure.

And having sex for only pleasure isn't only abusing the act of sex itself but the purpose of pleasure too. The organic chemical dopamine is the chemical that makes us else feel pleasure and it's purpose in sex is that was post to be a reward for achieving sex and reproduction. But when somebody has sex for only pleasure which doesn't result in reproduction then makes pleasure utterly meaningless.

Maxcady10001
Posts: 445
Joined: September 12th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by Maxcady10001 » January 12th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Do you believe it is immoral to eat for pleasure as well? To be logically consistent I don't see how you could answer any way but yes, since eating for pleasure is an abuse to the act of eating, like having sex for pleasure is an abuse to the act of sex. Also the idea that anyone eats only when necessary is kind of funny, they would have to wait days before they consumed anything, until food was necessary. If you eat before you reach the point of death by starvation, it can be said you are doing so for pleasure and not out of necessity.

Also, can an act be abusive to another act? How is one action offensive to the other? If I have sex for pleasure is sex offended?
Also can a person abuse an act? I have definitely heard of an abuse of power, but this is not abuse of an act, it is abuse of a position or status. It does not seem logical for an act to be abused, this assumes there is an act-in-itself that stands to be abused, and it is logical to say there are no acts-in-themselves because an act requires an actor, so sex cannot be abused.

Now can the purpose of pleasure be abused? I do not see how purpose can be abused, as it is an objective, a goal, one cannot abuse a goal only achieve or not achieve it.

User avatar
LuckyR
Moderator
Posts: 3096
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 1:16 am

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by LuckyR » January 13th, 2018, 1:57 am

Ace01 wrote:
January 11th, 2018, 1:14 pm
Now I don't know anyone else who shares my views on this, but recently I haven't been fond of the reason why so many are people having sex and what they're mostly using it for; i'm talking about the reason for why most people have sex is simply because they like it how it feels, which is not entirely wrong per SE, but the people who have sex just only for pleasure and deliberately avoid try not having kids is what I don't like. Sex didn't come into existence to make us feel good, sex evolved to be just one of the alternative ways of how a species reproduce offspring. So when people have sex for solely for the pleasure aspect, they are in fact abusing the act of it, which I don't find morally right.

I'm a agnostic atheist by the way, so none of views comes from a religious background, i'm also an aromantic asexual, which basically means I have no interest in sex or relationships, now you could try to argue that my views comes from being asexual, but once again I'm not against people having sex it just when people do it for sake of pleasure.
So should folks stop after menopause?
"As usual... it depends."

User avatar
Kathyd
Posts: 52
Joined: June 21st, 2017, 3:43 pm

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by Kathyd » January 16th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Ace, I actually agree with you, "technically speaking". As a Christian who believes the Bible is the Word of God, I have to admit that, absolutely speaking, sex was given to us for procreation, not for pleasure.

However, in practice, I'd say it's a little extreme to expect people only to have sex in order to have another child.

Eduk
Posts: 2109
Joined: December 8th, 2016, 7:08 am
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by Eduk » January 23rd, 2018, 6:12 am

You say sex didn't come into existence to make us feel good.
But did feeling good come into existence to make us feel good?
Unknown means unknown.

Steve3007
Posts: 5572
Joined: June 15th, 2011, 5:53 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes
Location: UK

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by Steve3007 » January 25th, 2018, 5:21 am

Ace01 wrote: Sex didn't come into existence to make us feel good, sex evolved to be just one of the alternative ways of how a species reproduce offspring.
The evidence on human sexuality indicates that this is false.

User avatar
SimpleGuy
Posts: 338
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by SimpleGuy » January 25th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Ace01 wrote:
January 12th, 2018, 5:21 pm
The organic chemical dopamine is the chemical that makes us else feel pleasure and it's purpose in sex is that was post to be a reward for achieving sex and reproduction. But when somebody has sex for only pleasure which doesn't result in reproduction then makes pleasure utterly meaningless.
Well it's not the only chemical compound. There is for example phenethylamine as well called,PEA, 1-amino-2-phenylethane, which is responsible for love and sympathy and there are even small amount of dmt, Dimethyl terephthalate called, Dimethyl benzene-1,4-dicarboxylate, which is for me the drug produced from the human body for a shamanic god experience perse. An as well well known testosterone for sexual arousal etc.

User avatar
SimpleGuy
Posts: 338
Joined: September 11th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by SimpleGuy » January 25th, 2018, 2:13 pm

I think this link could be somehow interesting for you. It's about the chemistry of love.

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-chemistry-of-love-609354

User avatar
QuarterMaster69
New Trial Member
Posts: 19
Joined: March 3rd, 2018, 6:57 pm

Re: The Abuse of Sex

Post by QuarterMaster69 » March 7th, 2018, 10:35 am

Ace01 wrote:
January 11th, 2018, 1:14 pm
Now I don't know anyone else who shares my views on this, but recently I haven't been fond of the reason why so many are people having sex and what they're mostly using it for; i'm talking about the reason for why most people have sex is simply because they like it how it feels, which is not entirely wrong per SE, but the people who have sex just only for pleasure and deliberately avoid try not having kids is what I don't like. Sex didn't come into existence to make us feel good, sex evolved to be just one of the alternative ways of how a species reproduce offspring. So when people have sex for solely for the pleasure aspect, they are in fact abusing the act of it, which I don't find morally right.

I'm a agnostic atheist by the way, so none of views comes from a religious background, i'm also an aromantic asexual, which basically means I have no interest in sex or relationships, now you could try to argue that my views comes from being asexual, but once again I'm not against people having sex it just when people do it for sake of pleasure.
I think sex should be abused because sex abuses us. It made something so pleasurable so that the outcome is more misery, namely, the immoral act of having more children in an overpopulated world with limited resources.

Post Reply