Animal Ethics - Is it wrong to eat animals?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
-1-

Re: Animal Ethics - Is it wrong to eat animals?

Post by -1- »

Greta wrote: May 11th, 2018, 5:53 pm By the same token, why bother trying to help the poor? No matter what you do, more keep appearing.

Perhaps we should eat the poor? After all, if it doesn't matter whether we kill or eat animals, then why does it matter to kill and eat people? After all, these are only relatively, rather than absolutely, different activities.
Eating the flesh of the members of the same species -- dead or alive -- can cause Mad Cow disease. This is true regardless of species.

So as long as the poor are a different species, you can eat them.

Thus, you can eat

Any orangutang who rents primary residence (ie. primate residence) with a net income of less than 200 dollars a month.

Any giraffe that fails the LSAT by at least 34 % is fair game to eat. (Impoverished intelligence.)

Any fish that does not like Richard Wagner's music you can't eat. It would amount to cannibalism.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Apologies when I said replicator I didn't mean to imply we were that far from viable lab grown meat.
When you say lab grown meat is here. That's true. But it's currently not commercial. That's the only distinction I'm trying to make.
Oh and regarding current lab grown meat. I was listening to an article where they used some part of an animal for substrate. It wasn't, yet, efficient. But hopefully in the not too distant future. Though I think it's hard to put a number on it? I've read reports that say 5 years? But often those reports are wildly inaccurate, though not always.
Unknown means unknown.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Alias I take it you are based in America? I am from England. Here such news stories of animal cruelty and factory farming are front and centre news. At least that is my experience.
The problem in England, and I am sure elsewhere, is that very often the choice is between eating meat whose provenance is unknown (and could normally assumed to be quite bad) or not eating meat. Of course there are exceptions, but they are not so straight forward to find. There is also a lot of misinformation. Companies quite often lie, indirectly or directly.
Unknown means unknown.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Eduk wrote: May 13th, 2018, 6:17 am Alias I take it you are based in America? I am from England. Here such news stories of animal cruelty and factory farming are front and centre news. At least that is my experience.
I live in Canada, and we get the odd expose of chicken or cattle abuse on CBC. It's not widely disseminated or commercially encouraged, but it does exist. In the States, the backlash is as much stronger as agribusiness is richer. Of course, whenever there is a conservative government, anything science- or environment-related tends to be suppressed.
The problem in England, and I am sure elsewhere, is that very often the choice is between eating meat whose provenance is unknown (and could normally assumed to be quite bad) or not eating meat.
We've been managing fine with the second option for 30 years. Eggs and dairy products make it a lot easier, especially living in the country, near small family and co-op farms. Yes, it's a compromise. I'm perfectly aware that most people of conscience have to settle for some kind of compromise. Very few can opt out of their economic and cultural milieu. But all have the power to make some considered, informed decisions.

As to the clean meat, commercially practical versions are a lot closer than you seem to think.
With JUST products in more than 20,000 stores, plans to release lab-grown clean meat onto the market by the end of the year at a retail price within 30 percent of that of traditional meat, Tetrick is optimistic about the future of the company and the global food system.
"In tomorrow's world, you can eat more meat, hopefully safer meat, even better tasting meat, without eating the animal," says Tetrick.
https://reason.com/reasontv/2018/04/26/ ... at-tetrick
It takes a lot of energy - like any industrial operation - but when you compare it to the demands of 'traditional' meat production, I'm pretty sure we'll end up with a net saving. When you factor in the pollution and waste cleanup, I'm absolutely sure it'll be a net gain. The investors aren't in it for the ethical perks - they're doing it in the expectation of serious profit.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

NasloxiehRorsxez wrote: May 11th, 2018, 5:19 pm
ThomasHobbes wrote: May 11th, 2018, 4:09 pm
Why do you say that?
Supermarket steak has no feelings.

Well, does abstaining from animal products actually save any animals in the process? Or is it just to clear one's conscience? If that's only the case, then it seems rather pointless. Since your moral actions change nothing, and the same amount of animals will be supplied regardless. In fact, you could probably be able to argue that it's ethically preferable to consume the meat, as it doesn't go to waste.
Indeed.
In fact as a meat eater I contribute to a net reduction in the incidence of animal suffering.
The more animals I eat the less animals suffer.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Alias I guess we can agree to disagree about the clean meat. Either way we are only talking about a few years difference. The blink of an eye really.
Back to the OP.
Where does eating insects fall ethically?
Unknown means unknown.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Eduk wrote: May 14th, 2018, 4:13 am Alias I guess we can agree to disagree about the clean meat. Either way we are only talking about a few years difference. The blink of an eye really.
Back to the OP.
Personally, I have no problem with eating insects - always assuming you don't torture them first, and avoid killing mantids, because I have an irrational fondness for them. But it'll pretty much have to be ants, because we're fast eradicating the flying insects that feed the songbirds and pollinate our food crops. https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access ... 99176.html

There are still earthworms, and they can be farmed. I imagine eating them directly is less unkind than using as bait for fish.
NasloxiehRorsxez
New Trial Member

Post by NasloxiehRorsxez »

Alias wrote: May 14th, 2018, 10:56 am
Eduk wrote: May 14th, 2018, 4:13 am Alias I guess we can agree to disagree about the clean meat. Either way we are only talking about a few years difference. The blink of an eye really.
Back to the OP.
Personally, I have no problem with eating insects - always assuming you don't torture them first, and avoid killing mantids, because I have an irrational fondness for them. But it'll pretty much have to be ants, because we're fast eradicating the flying insects that feed the songbirds and pollinate our food crops. https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access ... 99176.html

There are still earthworms, and they can be farmed. I imagine eating them directly is less unkind than using as bait for fish.
What makes eating insects ok but not animals? Assuming both are killed painlessly and the species being consumed isn't endangered.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Eduk wrote: May 14th, 2018, 4:13 am Where does eating insects fall ethically?
Vegetarians are most responsible for the deaths of these defenceless creatures, since vegetarians compete for their food with many insect species.
Alias

Post by Alias »

NasloxiehRorsxez wrote: May 14th, 2018, 2:01 pm What makes eating insects ok but not animals?
People draw their ethical lines according to some arbitrarily chosen standard and by some particular reasoning process. Generally, they disapprove of eating animals that they feel close to - either because they're familiar companions,like dogs, or because they have human-like characteristics, like gorillas.
The criteria I use for judging are brain size and complexity. In fact, I don't eat insects of any kind.
Eduk -- Vegetarians are most responsible for the deaths of these defenceless creatures, since vegetarians compete for their food with many insect species.
Really? Which insect species prefer corn meant for human consumption over corn meant for cattle or corn meant for biodiesel?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Alias I base my morality upon long term, gene centric, existentialist concerns.
Also by the actual experience of empathy and related emotions.
I see neither as arbitrary.
Unknown means unknown.
CIN

Post by CIN »

If a cannibal wanted to eat me, rather than eating a vegetarian meal, I would suggest to him that the value he places on me as food could not possibly attain the value I place on my life for myself. He can get another meal; I can't get another life.

If animals could reason, they would presumably argue exactly as I have just done.

This is why I am vegetarian.
Philosophy is a waste of time. But then, so is most of life.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

True or false? If 100% of people on earth changed to veganism, would there be a need for farm animals to be raised and culled for their protein content?
"As usual... it depends."
-1-

Post by -1- »

CIN wrote: May 14th, 2018, 7:00 pm If a cannibal wanted to eat me, rather than eating a vegetarian meal, I would suggest to him that the value he places on me as food could not possibly attain the value I place on my life for myself. He can get another meal; I can't get another life.

If animals could reason, they would presumably argue exactly as I have just done.

This is why I am vegetarian.
While I appreciate your devotion, the cannibal could not get another meal with protein. In Papua-New Guinea where cannibalism is rampant, or used to be, there were no domesticated animals, and there were no large hunted game. This is an island, a large island, mind you, but an island nevertheless. Larger mammals could not survive on it, because the herbavores would probably graze the land to a desert. So they probably did, they died out for lack of food, the vegetation regenerated, then humans came form the east, and bang, they only meat to eat inland were each other.
-1-

Post by -1- »

Alias wrote: May 14th, 2018, 6:02 pm
The criteria I use for judging (what to eat -- added by -1-) are brain size and complexity. In fact, I don't eat insects of any kind.
Gaaaa! A cannibal for sure!!

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream