Is morality objective or subjective?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Belindi

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Post by Belindi »

There is no "mind-brain problem" for those who recognise brain and mind are aspects of the same entity.
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Belindi wrote: July 4th, 2019, 4:38 am
Kaz_1983 wrote: July 4th, 2019, 2:01 am Is the sun rising everyday subjective?
it's subjective . "The sun rising every day" is an example of a form of causation called 'nomic connection'. In the case of the sun rising every day the phenomenon is caused by the movement of Earth round the Sun. The movement of Earth round the Sun is part of larger relativity "General Relativity" which includes natural forces. If there were no humans General Relativity would not exist. Perhaps if there had been no Einstein General Relativity would not have existed.
That makes sense that it would be subjective.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Peter Holmes: 'Subjective' means 'based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions'. What has nomic connection - a theory about a causal relationship between the mind (or consciousness) and the brain - got to do with subjectivity?
Name a theory that does not have a subjective basis. Presumably a subject (i.e., an individual) composed the heliocentric theory of the solar system you mentioned earlier, perhaps as the result of a revelation, and then shared his idea with others. When others came to agree with him, when there was general consensus that his subjective opinion was true, it became a fact.

The Geocentric model of the universe, the idea that the sun revolves around the earth rather than vice versa, was a fact for far longer than the current heliocentric model, and the heliocentric model may one day be superceded by some other one, which is just as factual.
Peter Holmes: If instead we recognise that this is a category error - that what we call consciousness or the mind are not such things - the mind-brain problem dissolves.
Woah, simply recognizing the problem as a "category error" puts it to rest?! Think of all the poor misguided neurologists wasting their time looking for the source of consciousness in the brain, when a smidgin of philosophical insight would have solved the problem!
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

1 If a fact is what we say it is, then it isn't a matter of opinion. That the sun revolves around the earth wasn't a fact - a true factual assertion.

2 If, as neurologists are showing, consciousness is produced by the brain, there is no mystery - no strange, non-material thing needing causal explanation.

3 I assume you are Univalence/ Logik / some other dickish persona. So my advice is, as usual, to **** off and bother someone else.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

If I misrecognised you, Felix, I apologise. I have history with a troll at another site.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Peter Holmes wrote: July 4th, 2019, 12:05 pm 1 If a fact is what we say it is, then it isn't a matter of opinion. That the sun revolves around the earth wasn't a fact - a true factual assertion.

2 If, as neurologists are showing, consciousness is produced by the brain, there is no mystery - no strange, non-material thing needing causal explanation.

3 I assume you are Univalence/ Logik / some other dickish persona. So my advice is, as usual, to **** off and bother someone else.
Actually it was taken as a fact that the sun goes round the earth.
In the same way it was a fact that the body was a receptacle for the soul which animated it.
Copernican turns tend to be big enough to stay turned. And as it would fly against all physics for the earth to be the centre of the universe, so too would we have to overturn vast amounts of patient study, interpretation, and knowledge to take the absurd step to reinstate some kind of dualism - which would answer absolutely nothing.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Nah, I'm much to tall and mild-mannered to be a troll....

My point was that facts too are relative, they change or are even abandoned as our subjective knowledge increases, e.g., the heliocentric theory may in time be superceded by something grander, maybe a solaricentric theory.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Felix wrote: July 4th, 2019, 11:01 am Woah, simply recognizing the problem as a "category error" puts it to rest?! Think of all the poor misguided neurologists wasting their time looking for the source of consciousness in the brain, when a smidgin of philosophical insight would have solved the problem!
Actually the root of the problem seems to be that the "MIND" or "SOUL" or "SPIRIT" is seen as a thing in itself. And has been taken as separate.
Rather the "mind" is what the brain does. It is not a thing attached to the brain ,but the activity of the brain like the journey is what a car does. Only separate in a categorical way.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Perhaps the next cosmological theory will be black-hole-centric as astrophysicists have been finding black holes at the center of every galaxy.

"Rather the "mind" is what the brain does."

Or vice versa - but I admit to mystical tendencies.
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Belindi wrote: July 4th, 2019, 6:21 am
Is the fact that every single living organism will look to avoid pain and maximise well-being....

Is it objective or subjective?
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Kaz

Sorry if I misunderstand your question - but I think the point is that the fact (living organisms look to avoid pain and maximise well-being) doesn't entail the moral judgement that living organisms should or ought to maximise, etc, or that it's morally right to maximise, etc, other organisms etc.

An 'is' (a fact) can never entail and 'ought' (a moral opinion).
Kaz_1983

Post by Kaz_1983 »

Peter Holmes wrote: July 31st, 2019, 4:33 pm Kaz

Sorry if I misunderstand your question - but I think the point is that the fact (living organisms look to avoid pain and maximise well-being) doesn't entail the moral judgement that living organisms should or ought to maximise, etc, or that it's morally right to maximise, etc, other organisms etc.

An 'is' (a fact) can never entail and 'ought' (a moral opinion).
Yes your right.. it's scientifically objective tho
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Kaz

Trouble is, sometimes some people seek out pain. And what constitutes well-being isn't straightforward anyway. Martyrs glory in a painful death to win eternal well-being in their heaven, for example. Exceptions prove (test) the rule. How about living organisms that sacrifice themselves for their offspring?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Yes Peter, no matter what seemingly objective notion is raised, there are always exceptions. It's easy to enough to "round off" the outliers and declare that majority opinion is objective. That power game has been played for millennia.

For a while I figured that objective good related to growth and entropy. Amusingly, the most derided lines of the old hit song, Macarthur Park, nicely summarises the situation for me:

Someone left the cake out in the rain
And I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again.

Oh nooooooooooooooooo
:)

We are looking at how difficult it is for something or someone to exist and persist. Who cares about the welfare of building rubble?

It's a matter of uniqueness and replaceability and influence, which is why killing is usually considered an objective wrong ...

no, the killing of a human ...
no, killing a human outside of war ...
no, killing a human outside of war or a siege situation or capital punishment (where there are varying opinions) ...
or killing of someone's pet ...
or another intelligent animal capable of suffering ...
and then there's the debate about whether non-viable foetuses are fully human ...
which raises the question of "what makes us human" ...
but if we say "reason", then we exclude infants, young children and some with severe mental illness or retardation ...
but these days there's too many people anyway ...
and what constitutes "killing"? Understaffing in hospitals leading to worker fatigue and fatal mistakes?

So we humans do what we always do, knowing that absolute precision is impractical, we round off the outliers and act as if they don't exist.
Peter Holmes

Post by Peter Holmes »

Thanks, Greta.

As I've been arguing, I think the expression 'objective wrong' is the mistake, because what we count as right and wrong can only be a matter of opinion, and 'objective' means 'independent of opinion'. But I agree about the danger of claiming moral objectivity.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream