The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Is morality objective or subjective?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
meaningful_products
New Trial Member

Re: Is morality objective or subjective?

Post by meaningful_products » February 3rd, 2019, 3:02 am

Eduk wrote:
January 29th, 2019, 4:21 am
Yes the first thing to do would be to decide what makes an action morally right @Ultrackius
But you saying something is clearly right or clearly wrong proves absolutely nothing. I'll give you an example, it is clearly right that I am 200 foot tall.
it does prove something if the speaker is honest. It proves what the speaker believes is moral.

Belindi

Post by Belindi » February 3rd, 2019, 5:15 am

I agree with Athena about the stabilising effect of the family but only if by 'the family' Athena means responsible adults and their dependants. The "responsible adults" will have committed themselves to caring for each other especially any children or other vulnerable members.

Regarding the family, more might be discussed regarding family size, kinship rules, relative powers of family members, residential proximity, division of labour, and personal independence as a necessary adjunct of capitalism.

Gandalf
New Trial Member

Post by Gandalf » February 5th, 2019, 5:11 pm

athena wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 11:22 am
I do not agree with your overall conclusion that morals are not based on facts, because I think our liberty and democracy depend on understanding morals as cause and effect.

I have an issue with this: I don't believe democracy depending on something being true makes it true.

Athena, I have a rhetorical question in relation to morals being based on facts: what are the facts based on?

My point is at some super low level some assumptions/beliefs must be made otherwise you end up in a loop trying to base reality on.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » February 7th, 2019, 9:40 am

It’s a dichotic mismatch ... whatever that means! Haha!
AKA badgerjelly

JosephM

Post by JosephM » February 7th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Gandalf wrote:
February 5th, 2019, 5:11 pm
athena wrote:
January 28th, 2019, 11:22 am
I do not agree with your overall conclusion that morals are not based on facts, because I think our liberty and democracy depend on understanding morals as cause and effect.

I have an issue with this: I don't believe democracy depending on something being true makes it true.

Athena, I have a rhetorical question in relation to morals being based on facts: what are the facts based on?

My point is at some super low level some assumptions/beliefs must be made otherwise you end up in a loop trying to base reality on.

There is the reality which truly exists , and it forever will lie outside of our direct knowledge , due to the limits of human capability.

We observe ,and may make inferences about this reality , and if we find these to be objectively accurate and of predictive value, we call these inferences true , although they are really just a model of the reality we cannot know directly.

Moral distinctions are often based on these inferences , and such moral distinctions, may take the form of encouragements or dissuasion (regarding various behaviors) ; Or perhaps assign blame , justice,( and many other things). However, These distinctions are not objectively true,( in that they are not depicting any preference which exists in that world of 'reality' outside our direct experience ), but they may be cherished and appreciated as indicative of what it means to be a human. They may enhance our social context , and people often consider them indicative of their "personal reality".

So I agree that the truth is independent of our sentiments , and indistinguishable from reality. But humans are essentially moral creatures.