The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

How do you feel about Video game Violence?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
LuckyR

Re: How do you feel about Video game Violence?

Post by LuckyR » December 19th, 2018, 5:17 pm

Pages wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 3:44 am
I think video game violence is totally fine for every sane user. There could be rare cases when violent games fuels a violent act in real life but, (just as others have pointed out) in the same way a movie would, or a song or a speech.
The brain is very complex to be deceived by something that "trivial" in most cases.
It depends what you mean by "fine". If performing video violence makes a person 4% (a number I made up) more likely to commit real violence, for most folks (what you call "sane" users) it will not result in a violent act, since their violence threshold is greater than 4%. But for the small group whose violence threshold is 3% or less it can play a role in triggering violence.

It has been well demonstrated that the brain is easily influenced by seemingly trivial stimuli, though the influence can be small, yet measurable.
"As usual... it depends."

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » December 19th, 2018, 7:14 pm

@LuckyR first of all though you would have to do said studies into video game violence before assuming the effect. Secondly would you not need more studies into good video game violence and bad video game violence and then do you not need further studies into whether something ought to increase violence or not. And then even more studies into what to do about it.
That's a lot of work before we should go around assuming video game violence is harmful and should be stopped. Currently I'd say we are in step one and require more information.
Unknown means unknown.

Pages

Post by Pages » December 20th, 2018, 2:26 am

LuckyR wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 5:17 pm

It depends what you mean by "fine". If performing video violence makes a person 4% (a number I made up) more likely to commit real violence, for most folks (what you call "sane" users) it will not result in a violent act, since their violence threshold is greater than 4%. But for the small group whose violence threshold is 3% or less it can play a role in triggering violence.

It has been well demonstrated that the brain is easily influenced by seemingly trivial stimuli, though the influence can be small, yet measurable.
It could trigger violence in few people yes, but I mean those people who can get influenced by video game violence could be influenced by any other form of witnessed violence.
It would be the same argument for guns, ropes, pillows, electricity etc. These things cannot be held responsible if used to commit a violent act. A mind that is susceptible to a violent act can be triggered by actions or inactions.
The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » December 20th, 2018, 3:50 am

Eduk wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 7:14 pm
@LuckyR first of all though you would have to do said studies into video game violence before assuming the effect. Secondly would you not need more studies into good video game violence and bad video game violence and then do you not need further studies into whether something ought to increase violence or not. And then even more studies into what to do about it.
That's a lot of work before we should go around assuming video game violence is harmful and should be stopped. Currently I'd say we are in step one and require more information.
Your post makes sense, if my post was step one on the path to video game regulation, which it's not. I was merely injecting more accurate descriptions into the previous post.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR » December 20th, 2018, 3:57 am

Pages wrote:
December 20th, 2018, 2:26 am
LuckyR wrote:
December 19th, 2018, 5:17 pm

It could trigger violence in few people yes, but I mean those people who can get influenced by video game violence could be influenced by any other form of witnessed violence.

It would be the same argument for guns, ropes, pillows, electricity etc. These things cannot be held responsible if used to commit a violent act. A mind that is susceptible to a violent act can be triggered by actions or inactions.
We are in agreement in your first paragraph.

I have two comments on your second paragraph. First, I (like most) don't hold influencers like video games, "responsible" for the voluntary choices of adults. Secondly, all minds are vulnerable to influence, though most influence does not override the previously chosen action. Occasionally it does.