How would you act if given absolute power over an alien civilization?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Thrylix

Re: How would you act if given absolute power over an alien civilization?

Post by Thrylix »

LuckyR wrote: March 16th, 2021, 4:04 pm
Thrylix wrote: March 16th, 2021, 1:05 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 15th, 2021, 3:48 pm Good news, dude. You can go out and terrorize actual ants and be their god right now, right here!!

... yet you don't. Why is that?
Because ants don't experience terror. :P
They experience ant terror. Which is basically the same as ant sized human terror, so what's the real reason?
Intelligent, ant-sized people could be coerced, manipulated, and demoralized. They would respond in more sophisticated ways and be commanded to do what I want.

Meanwhile, ants can't even build statues of me. :)
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

I'd get them to invade earth, and institute a peaceful and equable society.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Thrylix wrote: March 19th, 2021, 10:05 am
LuckyR wrote: March 15th, 2021, 3:48 pm Good news, dude. You can go out and terrorize actual ants and be their god right now, right here!!

... yet you don't. Why is that?
They experience ant terror. Which is basically the same as ant sized human terror, so what's the real reason?
Intelligent, ant-sized people could be coerced, manipulated, and demoralized. They would respond in more sophisticated ways and be commanded to do what I want.

So if ants built you a dirt clod that resembled you, you would spend your days stomping on ants? Sounds like you need a hobby.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: March 19th, 2021, 2:09 pm
Thrylix wrote: March 19th, 2021, 10:05 am

So if ants built you a dirt clod that resembled you, you would spend your days stomping on ants? Sounds like you need a hobby.
It's like children and pets. You can coerce, manipulate and demoralise them, if that's your choice. If you do, they will respond in certain ways and do what you want, as stated. But, with that approach, one will not bring out the best in our "subjects".

When treated with love and respect, children and pets open up and their personalities blossom. When coerced, manipulated and demoralised, those under our control basically become generic "fight-or-flight machines", their responses falling within a predictable range. On the other hand, when you are kind and are trusted, you find yourself dealing with richer, more complex and intelligent personalities than you would if being harsh and scary.

Life is hard enough, even without evil giants trying to make things harder still :)
RexArthur
New Trial Member

Post by RexArthur »

Realize I've been a bad boy and follow the Star Trek protocol of noninterference and immediately surrender the power.
Thrylix

Post by Thrylix »

LuckyR wrote: March 19th, 2021, 2:09 pm So if ants built you a dirt clod that resembled you, you would spend your days stomping on ants? Sounds like you need a hobby.
Ants are little more than mindless automatons so I agree with you. It would be pointless: they are incapable of interpreting a shoe overhead as something that will crush them, because they don’t know what it means to be crushed. When I stop to bulldoze an ant mound with the toe of my sneaker, all the ants perceive is a huge, long white thing that looks like it shouldn't be there. To them it is a giant alien object obtruding their usual path in and out, but they still don't comprehend it as deadly or dangerous. That is why if you keep your foot still, you will still see them crawling around or underneath your shoe in order to get in or out. I'd know: I've stepped on a lot of ants. :D

By contrast, ruling over intelligent ant-sized people would be much different, and I don't think you can argue that. Not only would they react differently, but they would have great technological and industrial potential and could be exploited in very material ways that wouldn't compare to mindless ants. The possibilities would seem almost limitless. The idea of having an entire population of intelligent beings to toy with, reward, and terrorize to suit any of my inexplicable whims or caprices greatly appeals to me. Even just from a curiosity-standpoint, it would be endlessly fascinating to watch them labor in multitudes and to test just how much oppression they will tolerate before they retaliate with force.
RexArthur wrote: March 20th, 2021, 9:04 amRealize I've been a bad boy and follow the Star Trek protocol of noninterference and immediately surrender the power.
But noninterference is boring! Besides, what's the benefit of letting the tiny people stand on their own feet when you could have them all kissing your feet instead? :twisted:
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Thrylix wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 1:11 pm
LuckyR wrote: March 19th, 2021, 2:09 pm So if ants built you a dirt clod that resembled you, you would spend your days stomping on ants? Sounds like you need a hobby.
Ants are little more than mindless automatons so I agree with you. It would be pointless: they are incapable of interpreting a shoe overhead as something that will crush them, because they don’t know what it means to be crushed. When I stop to bulldoze an ant mound with the toe of my sneaker, all the ants perceive is a huge, long white thing that looks like it shouldn't be there. To them it is a giant alien object obtruding their usual path in and out, but they still don't comprehend it as deadly or dangerous. That is why if you keep your foot still, you will still see them crawling around or underneath your shoe in order to get in or out. I'd know: I've stepped on a lot of ants. :D

By contrast, ruling over intelligent ant-sized people would be much different, and I don't think you can argue that. Not only would they react differently, but they would have great technological and industrial potential and could be exploited in very material ways that wouldn't compare to mindless ants. The possibilities would seem almost limitless. The idea of having an entire population of intelligent beings to toy with, reward, and terrorize to suit any of my inexplicable whims or caprices greatly appeals to me. Even just from a curiosity-standpoint, it would be endlessly fascinating to watch them labor in multitudes and to test just how much oppression they will tolerate before they retaliate with force.
You don't have to explain your fascination with ant mounds, it is well documented and pretty simplistic. My point, that you confirm is that while the ant people would experience differently than ants, you are neither of them. So what's in it for you? And you have made it plain that your appreciation of an experience like this is based on the experience of others (not yourself) which is less common. Many have difficulty understanding/appreciating that, thus a lot of the responses you got.
Thrylix

Post by Thrylix »

LuckyR wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 2:24 pm You don't have to explain your fascination with ant mounds, it is well documented and pretty simplistic.
Simplistic yes... that's because I'm kind of guy who steps on bugs, not around them. :)

I was explaining the contrast in response to your comparison to ants, but what's ironic in your statement is that ants actually are fascinating.
I'll admit I treat ants like dirt, but I still appreciate that the distance and speed at which they communicate and mobilize collectively in response to deadly threats -- like my feet :D -- through chemical signaling and vibrations alone, is pretty remarkable. No other insect I can think of comes close.
LuckyR wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 2:24 pm My point, that you confirm is that while the ant people would experience differently than ants, you are neither of them. So what's in it for you? And you have made it plain that your appreciation of an experience like this is based on the experience of others (not yourself) which is less common. Many have difficulty understanding/appreciating that, thus a lot of the responses you got.
But, as I stated a couple pages ago in the hypothetical scenario in question, wherein one would be stranded or isolated with the tiny people, the reasoning behind most of my actions would be primarily utilitarian in nature, rather than mindlessly sadistic which is what I sense you are picturing. But reduce their population and there is nothing left to rule. The OP is a thought experiment that explores (1) whether becoming a tyrant to the little people would be necessary for survival, (2) if it is reasonable to be expected to discern them individually and seek meaningful relationships vs. seeing them just as "the little people"), and (3) would the idea of playing god to them appeal on some level. Let's be honest: what guy doesn't fantasize about being a god every now and then? If some magical genie offered up the chance to be a god, or something close it, not many guys would refuse the proposition. :)
LuckyR wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 2:24 pmMy point, that you confirm is that while the ant people would experience differently than ants, you are neither of them. So what's in it for you?
Depending on the scale, potentially a lot for me. I wouldn't need to be their size to benefit from ruling over them, and I would have tangible needs that one way or another, would need satisfying. An advanced enough civilization, composed of people even as small as ants, could mass produce enough food to sustain such a giant, although at that scale it would surely require a concerted effort which is where the coercion would be necessary. But with sufficient economic resources and labor, that sort of production is conceivable. Plus, as a lone giant, I would still have male sexual needs that would require satisfying, one way or another. Sure, I could just masturbate a couple times each day... but burning ghost's idea on page 2 would be irresistible. With their opinions holding no weight over me at that size, I could take their women and make them do whatever unspeakable task I wanted until I ejaculated. :twisted:

And to further answer your question about what's in it for me: Besides the material benefits, it would be enticing just on an intellectual level to see from such a distant perspective how each action taken could impact the civilization. It would literally be playing god; rewarding some and neglecting others, pitting one side against each other, then intervening later. Striking a fine balance between making them afraid vs. risking their anger boiling over. There would be challenge as well as opportunity.

The alternative to dominating them would be to leave them alone: the hands off approach. But that's even more problematic, especially if given limited space and resources. To them I would always be an existential threat and waiting for them to strike first is illogical.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Thrylix wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 2:18 am
LuckyR wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 2:24 pm You don't have to explain your fascination with ant mounds, it is well documented and pretty simplistic.
Simplistic yes... that's because I'm kind of guy who steps on bugs, not around them. :)

I was explaining the contrast in response to your comparison to ants, but what's ironic in your statement is that ants actually are fascinating.
I'll admit I treat ants like dirt, but I still appreciate that the distance and speed at which they communicate and mobilize collectively in response to deadly threats -- like my feet :D -- through chemical signaling and vibrations alone, is pretty remarkable. No other insect I can think of comes close.
LuckyR wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 2:24 pm My point, that you confirm is that while the ant people would experience differently than ants, you are neither of them. So what's in it for you? And you have made it plain that your appreciation of an experience like this is based on the experience of others (not yourself) which is less common. Many have difficulty understanding/appreciating that, thus a lot of the responses you got.
But, as I stated a couple pages ago in the hypothetical scenario in question, wherein one would be stranded or isolated with the tiny people, the reasoning behind most of my actions would be primarily utilitarian in nature, rather than mindlessly sadistic which is what I sense you are picturing. But reduce their population and there is nothing left to rule. The OP is a thought experiment that explores (1) whether becoming a tyrant to the little people would be necessary for survival, (2) if it is reasonable to be expected to discern them individually and seek meaningful relationships vs. seeing them just as "the little people"), and (3) would the idea of playing god to them appeal on some level. Let's be honest: what guy doesn't fantasize about being a god every now and then? If some magical genie offered up the chance to be a god, or something close it, not many guys would refuse the proposition. :)
LuckyR wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 2:24 pmMy point, that you confirm is that while the ant people would experience differently than ants, you are neither of them. So what's in it for you?
Depending on the scale, potentially a lot for me. I wouldn't need to be their size to benefit from ruling over them, and I would have tangible needs that one way or another, would need satisfying. An advanced enough civilization, composed of people even as small as ants, could mass produce enough food to sustain such a giant, although at that scale it would surely require a concerted effort which is where the coercion would be necessary. But with sufficient economic resources and labor, that sort of production is conceivable. Plus, as a lone giant, I would still have male sexual needs that would require satisfying, one way or another. Sure, I could just masturbate a couple times each day... but burning ghost's idea on page 2 would be irresistible. With their opinions holding no weight over me at that size, I could take their women and make them do whatever unspeakable task I wanted until I ejaculated. :twisted:

And to further answer your question about what's in it for me: Besides the material benefits, it would be enticing just on an intellectual level to see from such a distant perspective how each action taken could impact the civilization. It would literally be playing god; rewarding some and neglecting others, pitting one side against each other, then intervening later. Striking a fine balance between making them afraid vs. risking their anger boiling over. There would be challenge as well as opportunity.

The alternative to dominating them would be to leave them alone: the hands off approach. But that's even more problematic, especially if given limited space and resources. To them I would always be an existential threat and waiting for them to strike first is illogical.
I don't think I can improve on what you have described in this post, so I will just give it a bump.
RexArthur
New Trial Member

Post by RexArthur »

To see what happens when a scientist becomes god to an imported (from Mars) ant civilization, google The Outer Limits Sandkings. Result: 1955 Episode featuring Beau & Dylan Bridges. Spoiler: Doesn't work out well for the man who would be god to an alien civilization.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Thrylix wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 2:18 am... I'm kind of guy who steps on bugs, not around them.
ie. a shameless bully.
Thrylix

Post by Thrylix »

Sy Borg wrote: March 26th, 2021, 4:37 pm
Thrylix wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 2:18 am... I'm kind of guy who steps on bugs, not around them.
ie. a shameless bully.
That's not fair. :P Bullies signify anger and malice. I don't step on bugs because I'm angry or hate them looking for them.

I step on bugs mostly when (1) someone asks me to kill one for them or (2) they become bothersome to my immediate presence. Sometimes I'll stamp my feet on ants "just cuz" because it's interesting to experiment with their reactions. Half the guys I know wouldn't give it a second thought.

Besides, most girls love it when I squash a bug for them. Makes me feel like I'm doing my job! :D
Thrylix

Post by Thrylix »

^^That should read, *hate them or go looking for them.^^
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Thrylix wrote: March 27th, 2021, 10:20 pm
ie. a shameless bully.
That's not fair. :P Bullies signify anger and malice. I don't step on bugs because I'm angry or hate them looking for them.

I step on bugs mostly when (1) someone asks me to kill one for them or (2) they become bothersome to my immediate presence. Sometimes I'll stamp my feet on ants "just cuz" because it's interesting to experiment with their reactions. Half the guys I know wouldn't give it a second thought.

Besides, most girls love it when I squash a bug for them. Makes me feel like I'm doing my job! :D
No, bullying can be done simply because it's possible; malice is not needed. For instance, you don't step on larger animals with more ability to defend themselves, eg. a domerman.

I'm no saint. I kill them if they invade my home in numbers or if they are raiders, eg. roaches. But, if possible, I just remove individuals that blunder into my home. Some animals are too destructive or breed too quickly for mercy. I'm all for watching animal reactions, but the fight-or-flight response is predictable. More complex and sophisticated responses, in both animals and humans, come when they are not in a state of agitation, distress or fear.
Thrylix

Post by Thrylix »

Sy Borg wrote: March 28th, 2021, 12:08 am
Thrylix wrote: March 27th, 2021, 10:20 pm
ie. a shameless bully.

No, bullying can be done simply because it's possible; malice is not needed. For instance, you don't step on larger animals with more ability to defend themselves, eg. a domerman.
True, but are bugs significant enough that we should think of them capable of being bullied?" At the end of the day, they're just bugs. :P

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream